Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Wanted to make sure this wasn't lost to history.

Peter King: Rape Apologist

Peter King posted:

4. I think it was good to see Ben Roethlisberger walking with the grads at Miami (Ohio) University Sunday. Roethlisberger got his Bachelor of Science in Education eight years after leaving campus for the NFL. What's not good is the petty attacks Roethlisberger took when I threw out kudos Saturday on Twitter. Those are the people who refuse to believe a person can change and grow, and who revel in keeping their opinions static. Roethlisberger, these people are certain, has abused women and thus will always be an abuser, and he can never move forward in his life.

I'm not sure who Ben Roethlisberger is right now, and I'm not sure if he'll ever be the kind of person you'd want your kids to emulate. But what I am sure of is this: People are capable of changing, and very often do change when tumultuous events rake their lives. That, however, is something none of you Twitter abusers believe can happen.

Yeap! Let's forgive a rapist because he hasn't raped in a while! People change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

Moxie posted:

Well to be fair, it's not just the not raping that changed. By all accounts he has left previous assholish ways behind and has been presidential candidate style squeaky clean, which is pretty tough to do for two years straight.

Yea, he acted like a human being. Let us reward him with accolades and anoint his feet with scented oils. It's pretty easy not to be an irresponsible poo poo-heel for two years. Lots of players do it their entire careers.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
Man, why are players who, hero-worshipped and pressured to get into the NFL ASAP, not staying in school to get their "LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL" degree?

And they want to pussify the NFL by taking away our big hits to protect that gay book learnin'.

Seriously, I feel like King was fluff and an nfl mouthpiece but generally harmless. He was the USA TODAY of football, now he's a racist, rape apologist, NFL propagandist...

He's loving terrible and has awful taste in beer/coffee. MMMmmM Carmel Macchicato/Blue Moon time!

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

Chichevache posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fin_du_Monde_(beer)

Beer talk is better than BBQ talk and I won't hear any disagreement.

Wheat beers are gross. Drink IPAs/grow hair on your rear end. I am a nerd/jerk.

To their credit ESPN has been attempting to handle this as neutrally as they possibly can. It's just that their pundits are still speaking from the bully pulpit that is the nfl. It's but they are giving the other side some air time.

How is NFL Network on the issue? I usually find their reporting better on the while but I'm not sure how they'd handle this.

Also, my opinion is invalid because I watch First Take and it's amazing.

fan of the browns fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 11, 2012

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

It's almost entirely horseshit, considering that copula deletion, implied semantic data and idiom isn't measured by the equation. Thank loving Christ I don't have to conform to a certain value at work.

Dude, I know!

Actually, I don't know. I'm super dumb but it's sounds pretty neat. What exactly do you do?

Speaking of Deadspin, I used to love Drew's stuff there as silly, kitsch-y sports writing but...man, his schtick got old. Deadspin has it uses (the recent fake ESPN-scammer recently was interesting) but it's taken a nose-dive in the last...forever.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I review electronics online for a tiny subsidiary of a major newsmedia corporation that recently upturned its stock value. I don't like crossing my SA and real-life wires, even though SA got me the job in the first place.

Word.

Deadspin still sucks.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

FuzzySkinner posted:

They are scum of the earth in terms of sports fandems.

This is the truth.

I love going to games, even losses are fun but I doubt I could go to 8 a year. In short, Rick Reilly sucks and I used to really dig him. He's capable of putting out really good work and focusing on interesting things.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

quote:

Avenue of the Americas (you might know it as Sixth Avenue)

:smug:

I used to enjoy King's stuff. It was lite, fluff but he became really self-absorbed right around the time he got on SNF.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

AAA DOLFAN posted:

http://randompixels.blogspot.com/2013/05/miami-herald-sportswriter-armando.html

L.
O.
L.

Holy gently caress. That second email is nice. Although, this little unprovoked gem from this guy is pretty loving outrageous too

quote:

Your mentioning the fact of your parents flight, bringing you to my country...

:freep:

This'll play out nicely.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
Crossposting from Waaah in the N/V thread

quote:

Last Thursday, as an analyst for the Browns’ TV crew in the St. Louis-Cleveland preseason game, Kosar called the Rams’ receivers “horrible.’’ That included Tavon Austin, the top receiver picked in the 2013 draft, who was taking an NFL field for the first time. Kosar said their parents “would be embarrassed’’ if they were watching the game. Kosar ridiculed Rams backup QB Kellen Clemens, following up a comment by his play-by-play man about Clemens meeting the Pope by saying, “Bless me Father for I have sinned. I have to watch him the whole fourth quarter.”

I was at the Rams’ headquarters Saturday on my tour of training camps, but I didn’t hear about the story till the evening, when The MMQB team was en route to the next stop, Kansas City. I found Kosar’s comments to be over the top—very surprising for a former NFL quarterback who was watching the first preseason game. Saying the parents of the players would be embarrassed if they were watching? And the religion reference? I thought it was wrong. And so I tweeted, “My question for Kosar after comments in Cle-STL preseason game: Were you drinking? Good guy. But waaay over the top here.”

I was trying to be funny in an unfunny situation. Of course, I didn’t think Kosar had been drinking. It was hyperbole. I should have just said, “What were you thinking?”

On Sunday, the Browns stated that they “don’t condone the personal and unprofessional approach’’ Kosar used in the game. Kosar called Rams coach Jeff Fisher and apologized for what he’d said.

I thought it was over—but the Twitterverse didn’t. You slammed me for asking Kosar the drinking question, for being Fisher’s lackey, for having the same agent (Marvin Demoff) as Fisher. My first reaction was: Kosar’s the one who erred here. I’ll be damned if I’ll admit I was wrong. But after being off the grid for most of Monday at Vikings’ camp, the more I thought about it, the more I started thinking I was just as wrong for jumping on Kosar with a bad joke that some would take as me accusing him of drinking during the game. And so, Monday evening, I tweeted that I was wrong for an insensitive tweet—and I was. No excuses. I could have been critical of Kosar without being crass. Altogether my fault.
There are scores on Twitter who wanted their pound of flesh from me even after I said I was wrong, which is their right. The bile was subhuman, but I think overall Twitter served a good purpose here. It was right that so many of you who read me and follow me called me out on this; in the old days, pre-social media, I’d likely have forgotten about it. You didn’t let me. It’s good that we have our readers/followers/listeners to remind us that we ultimately are reporting and opining for them. None of that should change the stories we report, but hall monitors can be good when our opinions cross the line.

About my relationship with the Rams: This is the third time I’ve written about this, and as I’ve said in the past, it’s your right to stop reading me or following me if you’re offended by the fact that I have the same agent as Jeff Fisher … and the agent, Marvin Demoff, is the father of Rams COO Kevin Demoff. I’m not the only one in the business with an agent who also represents people in football. And I don’t apologize for it. For those who think Fisher had something to do with my tweet about Kosar, he didn’t; we never spoke about it, and still haven’t. If you think it colors my judgment when it comes to criticizing or not criticizing people such as Fisher, that’s your right. I believe in being up front with you when there’s an issue like this, and I’ll continue to be that way.
Last Thursday, as an analyst for the Browns’ TV crew in the St. Louis-Cleveland preseason game, Kosar called the Rams’ receivers “horrible.’’ That included Tavon Austin, the top receiver picked in the 2013 draft, who was taking an NFL field for the first time. Kosar said their parents “would be embarrassed’’ if they were watching the game. Kosar ridiculed Rams backup QB Kellen Clemens, following up a comment by his play-by-play man about Clemens meeting the Pope by saying, “Bless me Father for I have sinned. I have to watch him the whole fourth quarter.”

I was at the Rams’ headquarters Saturday on my tour of training camps, but I didn’t hear about the story till the evening, when The MMQB team was en route to the next stop, Kansas City. I found Kosar’s comments to be over the top—very surprising for a former NFL quarterback who was watching the first preseason game. Saying the parents of the players would be embarrassed if they were watching? And the religion reference? I thought it was wrong. And so I tweeted, “My question for Kosar after comments in Cle-STL preseason game: Were you drinking? Good guy. But waaay over the top here.”

I was trying to be funny in an unfunny situation. Of course, I didn’t think Kosar had been drinking. It was hyperbole. I should have just said, “What were you thinking?”

On Sunday, the Browns stated that they “don’t condone the personal and unprofessional approach’’ Kosar used in the game. Kosar called Rams coach Jeff Fisher and apologized for what he’d said.

I thought it was over—but the Twitterverse didn’t. You slammed me for asking Kosar the drinking question, for being Fisher’s lackey, for having the same agent (Marvin Demoff) as Fisher. My first reaction was: Kosar’s the one who erred here. I’ll be damned if I’ll admit I was wrong. But after being off the grid for most of Monday at Vikings’ camp, the more I thought about it, the more I started thinking I was just as wrong for jumping on Kosar with a bad joke that some would take as me accusing him of drinking during the game. And so, Monday evening, I tweeted that I was wrong for an insensitive tweet—and I was. No excuses. I could have been critical of Kosar without being crass. Altogether my fault.
There are scores on Twitter who wanted their pound of flesh from me even after I said I was wrong, which is their right. The bile was subhuman, but I think overall Twitter served a good purpose here. It was right that so many of you who read me and follow me called me out on this; in the old days, pre-social media, I’d likely have forgotten about it. You didn’t let me. It’s good that we have our readers/followers/listeners to remind us that we ultimately are reporting and opining for them. None of that should change the stories we report, but hall monitors can be good when our opinions cross the line.

About my relationship with the Rams: This is the third time I’ve written about this, and as I’ve said in the past, it’s your right to stop reading me or following me if you’re offended by the fact that I have the same agent as Jeff Fisher … and the agent, Marvin Demoff, is the father of Rams COO Kevin Demoff. I’m not the only one in the business with an agent who also represents people in football. And I don’t apologize for it. For those who think Fisher had something to do with my tweet about Kosar, he didn’t; we never spoke about it, and still haven’t. If you think it colors my judgment when it comes to criticizing or not criticizing people such as Fisher, that’s your right. I believe in being up front with you when there’s an issue like this, and I’ll continue to be that way.

Bolding mine because that phrase is the funniest loving thing I have read in months.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
Peter King is the loving worst.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
That Bro_Pair article is fantastic.

Before we crown Omar as the worst, let's remember the time PK stole a ball from a child. Then wrote about it with absolutely no loving shame.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

Chichevache posted:

I'm pretty sure I read about this before, but can you link it?

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2009/07/fun-with-klassic-peter-king-the-foul-ball-story.html

It's great because it's not Peter King ripping a ball out of a child's hand but pathetically lying to a child so PK can get the ball he wants.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
I just want to say that I agree 100% that Chip Kelly is a racist.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
I also want to state that being accused is not the same as being convicted. I read this really good reddit about fal;kjlsadf;jklasdf;lkj sdfksadf

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
Joe Paterno was bad.

The pretty ESPN lady should be fired because she seems like a reprehensible person and Iike when bad people suffer.

And Dan Sauhnggessey made Cleveland mad because sometimes Cleveland fans are dumb babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

Chichevache posted:

I don't think it is

YESSS THIS WAS THE BEST PART.

Holy gently caress. Imagine shattering someone so much they just starting watching "Loose Change" on repeat.

The "Vince Young" effect.

• Locked thread