Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Christ, Gregg Easterbrook is awful.

quote:

The strident insistence of the Jacksonville front office that this perennially dull losing team will have nothing to do with Tim Tebow, Florida's most popular football player, has gone from odd to downright weird. If Tebow becomes a success at New England -- as a "slash" or perhaps as an H-back or F-style tight end -- Jacksonville's refusal to sign him will look even worse. Plus the Jaguars spent a draft choice on Denard Robinson: If he ends up playing the "slash" role that might have gone to Tebow, Jacksonville management will have blundered anew. Tebow does have a traveling-circus problem. A strong, secure coach like Bill Belichick can handle that; a weak, insecure coach like Gus Bradley doesn't want to. Same with ownership -- Robert Kraft is strong and secure, while Shahid Khan does not inspire confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

There's no shame in predicting a Lions loss in the NFC Championship Game.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Kalli posted:

I hope it takes place in a blizzard with ridiculous wind and it's Brady vs Rodgers and everyone is totally sure they're going to be fine because they play in the cold and it's just so windy and gross the two teams just spend all game running the ball and doing tiny short dumpoffs.

I hope the weather's fine but the game is still like this.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Can one of our Greek majors tell me what the opposite of Eudaimonia is?

"Dysdaimonia"? (I know nothing about Greek.)

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, the current FSU mascot was created with the assistance of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, and it makes an effort to be respectful. Not all Seminoles are happy, though. There's also the awkward fact that the original Osceola went to war against the United States and was only "defeated" when the U.S. Army imprisoned him during peace talks, which is a dirty trick at best.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

waah posted:

Dont know where else I should put this, but this is actually an awesome bit of writing as the FO guys go old school Fashion SWAT on Coors light.

I am a beer snob but reading that makes me want to pour a bottle of Westy 12 on the ground just to spite them.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Eh, if you allow unrestricted taunting, you risk the game getting out of control and fights breaking out. Also, taunting's much cooler when it's actually breaking a rule. Taunt and take your 15-yard penalty like a man. The penalty's basically meaningless anyway if you taunt while scoring a touchdown.

The fines and idiotic media moralizing are another story, though :(.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

I feel like you're going to have to provide some evidence that the amount of fights would increase. These players are already fighting during games as it is.

Players always try to get away with as much as the referee will let them. The 2010 World Cup Final happened because the referee was too lax. If players are fighting during games, legalizing taunting would most definitely increase the amount of fighting. They're already trash-talking and getting into each other's heads--the difference with taunting is that it's in front of all the spectators and it's easier to go over the edge when you're embarrassed.

The rules are fine as they are.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I thought this discussion started during the game on Monday night :confused:. I'm just talking about the current rules. The NFL is stupid for considering that rule change. Touchdown celebrations rock, also.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

quote:

Mark Shields offers this bonus wisdom on maintaining friendly family relations [over Thanksgiving]:

It's a time to become a football fan. The NFL has done a great favor to the peacefulness of American family gatherings by scheduling a game between the Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers beginning at 12:30 p.m. EST on Fox. As soon as that's over, CBS has the Dallas Cowboys against the Oakland Raiders. If you haven't had enough -- although Sally Quinn once made the observation that any man who watches three football games in a row is probably brain dead, and that's probably true -- there's an 8:30 p.m. game. As long as there's a football game, it gives us something to talk about that lowers the temperature in the room.

My other suggestion: It's good to ask non-political quizzes to get the conversation going.

Why watch football when you could be using your massive brainpower to have sex with your boss?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Football is actually a decent metaphor to explain the immune system. But it's the HELPER T-cells that are the quarterbacks.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Gregg Easterbrook confuses me. He never has any interesting observations. Nobody ever links to him other than Magary. Is this the writer of the great silent majority?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chichevache being a disingenuous gently caress again? Stop the presses.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Oh Lordy, it's every lovely Suh talking point in one column. Fans suck.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

ESPN, you doofuses. He should go to the New York Times.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mays is back in the podcast game, along with Barnwell Mallory Rubin. I thought it was pretty good.

https://soundcloud.com/channel33/ep-80-nfl-draft-podcast-with-robert-mays-and-mallory-rubin

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Lawrence Jackson wrote something stupid about not paying your workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I was going to write a post complaining about Drew Sharp's cynical, dishonest takes, but then he loving died this morning. Rest in peace, you miserable bastard.

His obituary

His awful final column

quote:

Matthew Stafford and Kirk Cousins epitomize what’s wrong with today’s NFL. They're more acceptable than exceptional. Both offer encouraging moments that look even better when compared to the pedestrian play of others. Neither performs anywhere close to an elite level. Yet both are looking at massive new contracts in the next year because “good enough” qualifies as great in today’s NFL.

And that doesn’t exactly excite the masses.

Stafford is drawing plenty of national praise recently. In his 14 games under the tutelage of offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, he has led the league in touchdown passes (33) and completion percentage. But he remains average when measured against the only metric that matters: winning big games. No playoff wins. Only one road victory against a team that eventually advanced to the playoffs.

• Locked thread