Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

For Patriots news, trust no one unless they're sourced. Mike Reiss with ESPN Boston usually has valid analysis, and will have something up whenever they do something, but doesn't get any information leaks.

Occasionally Michael Holley will get fed something by the organization, but he's more as a friend of the team then reporter in that role. His book, Patriot Reign is some good, fawning, insight into how Belichick runs things however.

As for breaking news, I'm pretty bad at remember who does it. I just follow a bunch of the major guys on twitter and get swarmed with tweets and retweets whenever something happens.

Also I follow Peter King because he retweets a bunch of the insults that get sent to him constantly and tries to play it off as an awh shucks thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Peter King's got everyone involved in the NFL on speed dial but gently caress that, let's spend a page on how tough it is to get good WIFI at the airport.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I legit want to beat on Florio with a baseball bat:

quote:

On one hand, if the NFL at some point knew or should have known about the long-term consequences of concussions and failed to share the information with the players or to take steps aimed at protecting players, the league faces liability to former players who truly are suffering those long-term consequences, either via the court system or the procedures set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. On the other hand, to the extent that former players are jumping on the barristers’ bandwagon and crying “me, too” when they have no real injuries, then they’re no different than any of the many folks who abuse the legal process for personal gain.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was wondering when the NFL was going to start calling in their hacks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^^ Amusingly, I used to make decent cash proof reading essays for humanities courses from the ones that wanted to keep their GPA's up.

Here's another secret: Those of us that can write coherently will still often obfuscate it to avoid being called or dragged into meetings.

Personally I prefer to update reports with >100 word sentences.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On one hand I agree the rush for breaking news first is a bit silly, on the other hand, Mike Florio made a ridiculous amount of money by doing just that and (sadly) became the default place to check for news. Obviously, not really repeatable, but that isn't going to get us of that gremlin.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I had the Eagles in the Superbowl.

A DOLF backed me up with: "Eagles might have the most talented roster in the NFL. It's seriously insane."

Wrong-bro's forever.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rap posted:

Nobody click this link for any reason http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/media-awards-2012/?xid=cnnbin ("SI.com 2012 Media Awards")

Yeah, I was poisoned with the link earlier, but there's a few things that are worthwhile:

quote:

...Gonzalo Le Batard, the father of Miami Herald writer Dan Le Batard and the main reason to turn into ESPN2's Dan Le Batard Is Highly Questionable. The elder Le Batard has become more comfortable in front of the camera over the course of the year and is fantastically entertaining on a show that isn't for everyone.

Best News Feature on a Sports Program

ESPN's Outside the Lines: Breaking the Silence

A remarkably filmed and reported piece on Monika Korra, an SMU cross-country runner from Norway who survived a brutal rape to emerge as a figure of strength and self-reliance. I'd urge you to watch, and kudos to producer Kory Kozak.

Also the duds section:

• NFL Network analyst Warren Sapp recklessly tweeted that former New Orleans tight end Jeremy Shockey was an informant (Sapp used the word "snitch") in the Saints' bounty scandal that resulted in extensive penalties for the team. Shockey repeatedly denied being the whistleblower, and no evidence emerged that he was behind anything.

• In one of the worst tweets of the year, Columbus, Ohio-based sports-talk host Scott Torgerson said, "I wish Desmond Howard would get fired or die so I can watch GameDay again." Torgerson later apologized for what he defended as an obvious joke (his Twitter feed was deleted), but Howard's wife, Rebkah, didn't find it funny. She tweeted: "Thx for the 'apologizes.' Are you fortunate enough to be a father? Know who didn't get your 'total (dead) joke'? Our daughter." Torgerson now works for 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland.

• CBS' The NFL Today aired as tone-deaf a pregame show as we've ever seen after the murder-suicide of Kasandra Perkins and Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher. The program opened with a ham-handed live advertisement for Garmin that featured host James Brown's hawking the product like a GPS-happy P.T. Barnum and went downhill fast from there.

• On the day the Freeh Report was released documenting Penn State's internal investigation of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, ESPN inexplicably opted to use college football analyst and Penn State alum Matt Millen as a solo analyst. The decision launched the kind of vitriol in social media usually reserved for former ESPN college football analyst Craig James. Millen's initial reaction was something out of a Kafka novel, a jumble of head-shaking statements unchallenged by those asking him questions.

• On this same topic, the Big Ten Network aired a replay of an Ohio State-Purdue football game instead of the Freeh Report news conference.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't blame you man, I had to soldier on, like scrolling through a TMQ article to get to the parts where he creeps on cheerleaders.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The fact that the show has Hugh Douglas on it is a testament to how bad the show destroyed its potential. That man is maybe the most aggressively dumb commentator I have ever watched

Yup, when it started it was an interesting experiment at least, mixing the c-list jock personalities with guys like Aaron Schatz and various baseball/basketball advanced stat guys, but I knew it was in trouble after the 10th time they had Schatz explain what DVOA was and everyone else on the panel act like he started talking in farsi.

Then after a few months they killed that and retooled it as Michael Smith (who at least tries) moderating between Hugh Douglas and Jalen Rose, who both loving love to talk about winning.

Considering how they debuted, I'm pretty shocked that Dan Lebetard's Highly Questionable is so much better then it has any right to be, while NNL is just so loving terrible.

This is probably the episode where I totally changed my opinion of Highly Questionable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nct34hSkIPQ

A laid back show just treating sports like the fun it should be is actually a nice niche.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 21, 2012

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Brannock posted:

I don't even know how to reply to this:

The funny part is, when Rice set the record, 1995, radios were put in QB's helmets for the first time, resulting in a large jump in leaguewide offensive scoring, yards, yards per play and plays run.

During the '95 season, the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th highest receiving yardage in a season occurred.

(2nd place by the way was set by Isaac Bruce, another loser on a team that lost a lot.)

Kalli fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 25, 2012

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That would be this guy by the way:

So really, that should answer any questions.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yup, that's Dan all over. Remember that he's also the guy that really pushed the godawful Red Sox curse narrative throughout the 90's up through and after they won a loving world series.

He's the worst of the non-race baiting guys.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Arian Foster is now using a screenshot of that article for his twitter avatar.

A full week of reverse NO RESPECT, this should be fun.

Ehud posted:

Fans shouldn't cover the teams they like.

Mike Reiss is pretty drat good for the Patriots, who started off as a wide eyed intern writing copy for the Patriots newsletter.

But yeah, whole lot of really awful guys out there.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 7, 2013

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Woody just doesn't have that ability to turn it off, as seen by his half dozen marriages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWOLdNBbp7U

He's crazy ranting uncle 24/7.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The entirety of his popularity came from spewing out news tidbits before anyone else by simply not doing any verification or research.

If only twitter had come about years earlier we'd have been spared.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gwenn Knapp with the latest piece calling NFL executives out for the poo poo they pull with combine recruits:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/42084416/

quote:

Brendon Ayanbadejo, the Baltimore Raven who advocates for gay marriage, appeared on MSNBC's "The Ed Show" on Wednesday night to discuss Kasa's revelation. He told the audience that a gay prospect asked about his sexual orientation should lie to protect his shot at an NFL career.

Later on Twitter, he said: "I feel like I let down my LGBT brothers and sisters on @edshow but yes selfishly I'd tell my @nfl brothers in combine to lie."

Then he tweeted: "Once you have a contract do as you please and what you are comfortable with. Fact of the matter they shouldn't even ask."

Note that he thinks the lying has to happen amid the guys in the suits, not the ones in shoulder pads. The lying has to happen when people are projecting what he will become, not yet seeing -- every day on the job -- who he really is.

And if the question is asked properly, one doesn't have to lie at all. "Do you like girls?" is a euphemism, and it licenses a player to answer earnestly, never playing the questioner's game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mad Mafioso posted:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167664/article/carolina-panthers-going-nowhere-with-ron-rivera-cam-newton

Great job, guy. He then goes on to say the Panthers have one of the worst rosters in football. What the gently caress do people want out of Cam? All the Superbowls from now on?

Hmm, the epitome of clutch

pre:
Final Margin 0-7
Luck 222-407, 54.5%, 7.0 YPA, 16/9 TD/Int, 80.6 QBR
Cam  138-251, 55.0%, 7.7 YPA, 08/6 TD/Int, 80.7 QBR

4TH QTR, +/-7 PTS
Luck 51-89, 57.3%, 7.7 YPA, 4/1 TD/Int, 92.3 QBR
Cam  36-59, 61.0%, 9.4 YPA, 2/1 TD/Int, 96.5 QBR

Behind by 1-8 Points
Luck 91-170, 53.5%, 7.7 YPA, 8/6 TD/Int, 80.0 QBR
Cam  79-142, 55.6%, 8.5 YPA, 6/3 TD/Int, 89.0 QBR
Ah I see, I see.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

I was going to make a thread to discuss and theorize why Tebow is unsuccessful at quarterback but we know why already :effort:

I think the needed tons of work to adapt to the NFL combined with ending up on two teams in utter turmoil / trainwreck situations kinda answers that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey get ready for some serious hand wringing from some pathetic shitheads over the next few days thanks to Roddy:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The photo is the best part

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I stumbled across this glancing at the AFC West blog on ESPN:

It kinda sounds like ESPN is just going to hire their own beat writers for every team. I want to think this comes out of a desire to improve their coverage but because it's ESPN part of my brain won't stop screaming that it's just a way to avoid crediting anyone else on any NFL story ever (while still stealing said stories from other people) :tinfoil:

Mike Reiss handles the Patriots on ESPN Boston (and he's excellent), and he'll at least always credit stories to the local guys. It's not being said at a desk on Sportscenter, so ESPN doesn't care about giving credit for this stuff.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

"Everyone knew the risks!" is the dumbest argument. Guys knew they could tear an ACL or break bones, but players had no idea the effect "getting your bell rung" could have later in life.

That is one of the worst, most out of touch things I've read about sports in a while.

It's the worst argument because: if so, why did the NFL hire pretend doctors to go around and lie about it for the last twenty years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4NbU_HaB3Y

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^^ Hah, speak of the devil.

swickles posted:

Yeah true, so the run game would be better. But in an era where going across the middle was a death sentence, do you really think some of the high powered offenses of today would hold up in those playing conditions?

Probably just switch to a power running game and annihilate them in the trenches.

The 1978 Steelers' oline averaged 250 lbs and defensive line was smaller then the Patriots' linebackers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Febreeze posted:

Part of me hopes that not only does it snow, but it's a warm weather team vs a cold weather team and the warm weather team wins. That, or the cold weather team blows them out, causing mass controversy forever. But preferably the first, so that we get more cold weather superbowls.

I hope it takes place in a blizzard with ridiculous wind and it's Brady vs Rodgers and everyone is totally sure they're going to be fine because they play in the cold and it's just so windy and gross the two teams just spend all game running the ball and doing tiny short dumpoffs.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Febreeze posted:

I like how he says "looks like the worst 2-0 team in NFL history" when you could go back to literally just last year to see the Eagles were far, far worse at 2-0.

The best part of that Eagles team is they were 2-0 with a point differential of... 2. (also accomplished by the Mark Brunell led 2005 Washington)

The worst recent team was probably the 2002 Bears though. They beat a bad Vikings and an okay Falcons team by a combined 4 points enroute to a 4-12 season.

The Dick Jauron experience.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 13, 2013

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

(The one I know of was a cop working on undercover hate crime investigations)

There's also a thread on Stormfront talking about the BSSOTKK (Black Secret Society of the Klu Klux Klan). I suspect that their anecdotes may, just may not be rooted in truths.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 27, 2013

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think so. Shame it didn't come out earlier in the day, as ESPN would definitely have this all over their talk shows which have been hammering the team lately over the name. Ah well, tomorrow then.

Also, I love, love, love this development.

E: Ohhhh yeah, top trending thing on twitter at the moment, this is beautiful.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 10, 2013

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jason McIntyre, Editor in chief of the Big Lead / former ESPN writer says ESPN will have an announcement about Reilly shortly.

Maybe not firing him yet, but this is exploding all over him and I am proud to join this torch wielding mob

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I wonder how many of those response letters he posted for his followup column were misquoted...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PendingForaBending posted:

Not a bad paycheck for 30 seconds of work.

Check his other work, this is probably the most effort he's put in in ages.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

They called a child actress a oval office in what was clearly a misfired joke that went too far on the edgy side and everyone flipped their poo poo about it, because it's still hosed up to call an 11 year old girl a oval office even if you're joking

They also changed the "Bill Belichick finds new and interesting ways to cut people" with a picture of the lake Marquise Hill drowned in."

That said, why would they change this one?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently Tebow has realized there was someone who wanted him all along: http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/03/tim-tebow-tv-bidding-war-brewing-between-three-networks/#sthash.CJ0sjmLZ.uxfs

Bidding war between ESPN, CBS and FOX to get him as a talking head.

quote:

ESPN’s SEC Network, which debuts on August 21, 2014, is planning its own version of ‘College Gameday’ and has settled on three names: Rece Davis (an Alabama grad) would be the host, the voice of the South Paul Finebaum would play the role of Lee Corso, and Tebow would be the show’s Kirk Herbstreit. A source says ESPN is currently searching for another former SEC athlete to fill the final spot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

From any objective point of view, going back to school when you are a number one pick is dumb. Ask Brian Brohm or Matt Leinart if that degree offset their lost NFL earnings.

Eh, if your family doesn't need the money, then who cares? Might as well enjoy being god king of college. Plus, I have to presume some of them were being paid pretty drat well as is.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

To put it in perspective, I just ran a quick search and found 21 players drafted in the fourth round since 2000 who never even appeared in a game:

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...ce=any&show=dnp

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Is he also white in this scenario or playing in some other football league?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You know who else had everything in their past reduced to 'smoked some weed' in the public's perception?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yup! I was very wrong about the Bountygate thing. Like, diametrically and utterly opposed from the correct stance.

It is worth saying that it was undoubtedly quite common, if not everywhere, then with everyone from the Buddy Ryan school of loving people up (specifically, Jeff Fisher), but the Saints got the target on their back and the league had top dollars on the table for their kneecaps.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think it's a holdover from newspaper column writing where they weree so thin that stylistically they ended up writing in these short bullet point sentences.

Chris Gaines posted:

Woody Paige almost does it all the time. He'll just have a handful of paragraphs that are multiple sentences.

Man, you aren't kidding: http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140203/woody-paige-a-debacle-that-will-sting-for-a-long-time

quote:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — This one’s for the john.

The Denver Broncos’ 43-8 debacle belongs in the bowl with those 27-10, 39-20, 42-10 and 55-10 fiascoes.

Sunday night shall live in ignominy, too.

We’ve seen this four times before. Orange crushed, again — this time by Seattle.

This one’s the most excruciating, though. The difference between the others and Super Bowl No. 48 was the “most prolific offense” in NFL history played like the “most offensive team” in Super Bowl history in a game regarded as a tossup.

Until the final play of the third quarter, the Broncos had not scored, but had given up a safety, two field goals, a running touchdown, a passing touchdown, an interception touchdown and a kickoff return touchdown.

Finally, the Seahawks gave up a meaningless touchdown at quarter’s end.

Too bad the Super Bowl wasn’t a snowout.

Too bad it was a blowout.

The fight should have been called off, mercifully, 12 seconds into the third quarter with the Broncos down, and out, at 29-0.

So, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and executive vice president John Elway did not secure their third Super Bowl victory. John Fox did not collect his $1 million victory bonus. Peyton Manning did not earn his legacy second victory. Champ Bailey did not get his first Super Bowl victory.

“At the end of the day, no excuses,” Fox said.

At the beginning of the night, the Broncos were brutal.

On the Broncos’ opening offensive play, Manning was doing his usual histrionics when center Manny Ramirez snapped the ball into the end zone. Uh-oh.

Demaryius Thomas said the Broncos “came out ready to play.” The Broncos acted like they had never played, or even practiced. They fumbled, bumbled and crumbled.

Fox said there were a “a couple of plays we didn’t execute as well as they did.”

How about 125 plays?

The offense’s, defense’s and special teams’ game plans must have been written in crayon. Fox and his staff obviously were outcoached, and the Broncos were outplayed.

Manning broke the Super Bowl record for pass completions (34). A hollow record. Peyton this season won everything but the one thing he wanted. He played terrible.

What about the running game? What running game? Twenty-seven yards on 14 carries? Receivers dropped balls and pulled up on routes or couldn’t escape. A total team mess.

The special teams were horrid — Seattle’s Percy Harvin returned the second-half kickoff for a touchdown, and Denver’s first punt went 29 yards and Trindon Holliday looked like a deer in the headlights.

“We just didn’t play like we’re capable of,” Elway said. He’s been there.

Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner wasn’t shocked. “They haven’t played a defense that flies around like we do, that hits like we do.”

The Broncos were discombobulated early on, and on and on.

The farce was reminiscent of the Broncos’ Super Bowls in the 1980s.

“They were separate,” Elway said.

But very alike.

The Broncos waited 15 years for this?

It was not possible for the Broncos to play any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Peter King on just how lazy is Clowney? Why doesn't he destroy truck drivers like LT did? http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/25/jadeveon-clowney-combine-lawrence-taylor/

quote:

But that’s not the best I’ve seen Taylor. That happened in a replacement game in 1987. The players were on strike, and the league fielded bush-leaguers so the owners wouldn’t have to refund TV fees. With the Giants 0-4, Taylor crossed the picket line and tried to beat the Bills by himself, playing both ways, linebacker and tight end. Buffalo lined up a truck driver from Illinois, Joe Schulte, to block Taylor. Schulte was called for seven penalties on Taylor. In the second half, with the refs not watching, LT drove his fist into Schulte’s throat. “How do you like that, sucker!” Taylor snarled at him. The Giants lost, but owner Wellington Mara thought it was Taylor’s best game as a pro.

See Clowney you need to show more passion, punch dudes in the throat, and rack up an insane game of... two sacks against the equivalent of an arena league team.

• Locked thread