Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The premise of the joke is that it's offensive ethnic slurs so barring mass outrage or something they won't. Only thing they've deleted in recent memory is that tweet about the child actress being a oval office or something, which was at best barely a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

superaielman posted:

http://www.examiner.com/article/tim-tebow-returning-st-louis-stirs-up-tebow-rumors-with-sam-bradford-injury

Mike Silver being terrible. *Claims the Rams have discussed Tim Tebow* *Creates media firestorm, quickly hops on twitter to clarify that it's 'unlikely'*
Haha. This is only as bad as that in aggregate, and hopefully nobody here has my disorder and can keep themselves from actually reading any of the articles (or oh god the comments) but:
http://bleacherreport.com/tim-tebow

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sash! posted:

The NFL really is missing an opportunity on the coaches not wearing suits. A whole line of branded suits and formal wear! Imagine how many crested blazers you could sell to idiots.
I can imagine the chorus of "hey, Uncle James showed up wearing a blazer!" that would ring across the land's weddings and funerals.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I hope they have the TV show equivalent of a good defense.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

DangerKat posted:

I love tone deaf stories like that.
Guys, he also lined up at TE (for one incomplete pass play)!

Taylor did dominate that game but yeah he also dominated others playing hurt against real NFL guys.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sash! posted:

Why does every season have a once in a generation player?
Well, if a generation is 25 years and there are 15-ish positions in football (excluding special teams) you should see them at least every few years.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ribsauce posted:

@SI_PeterKing
Manziel's reaction shows a guy who can be messed with, a rabbit-eared player. Not a good trait for a starting NFL quarterback.

Awww poor Peter must have gotten blown off by a rookie QB at training camp again.

PS I have no idea what rabbit eared means in this context.
Yeah I think it means he can hear Elmer Fudd coming and get out of there.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wherein Omar can manage neither the humble nor the brag.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I only know Omar through the few things I've seen on TFF but he seems a little like sports journalism's real life version of The Onion character Herbert Kornfeld (the "gangsta" accountant at Midstate Office Supply they killed off after they wore out the premise).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

DangerKat posted:

Doubly Sweet 'N' Doubly Sour Sequence: Miami leading 24-20, Green Bay was down to fourth-and-10 with 1:07 remaining. TMQ noted two weeks ago, "If there's one thing that would put a smile on the face of Aaron Rodgers, it's a predictable blitz." All Miami needs is an incompletion -- surely the Dolphins won't big-blitz! They do, Green Bay converts. Green Bay would get two more first downs in the next six snaps, both against blitzes. Sweet for the visitors, sour for the home team.
Sweet 'N' Sour is a general term for a cooking sauce and/or cuisine generally thought to have begun in China.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm more confused, since I'd figure Palmer would be a cancer to sports writers, since he actually quit on his team.
Well he didn't quit on the beat writers, and that's the important thing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
But also he played really well but that was for contract-year reasons, NOT for championship-winning reasons, which is clear because they did not win a championship you see.

Basically the "hard to have 3 huge-$ contracts on the same team and still flesh out a decent squad" point was legitimate (if obvious) and the rest is just convenient shifts of rhetorical focus and sour grapes stuff. The guy went for the big money it happens and the NFL is not a morality play about sacrifice.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hey, sometimes things change. Like the moisture level of a diaper, for example.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is anyone else like me in that when they read a story like the fireworks thing the first thing they do is google their wonderlic score (JPP didn't take it AFAICT)?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chilichimp posted:

Pretty sure that's a QB thing.
It's more that nobody cares much about the scores for other positions / it's easier for non-QBs to opt out of the test. But yeah when they get leaked there are always plenty of non-QB scores in there.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bryan Curtis is pretty good too.
Exactly the wrong article for this thread but thanks for the heads up, I had only half-figured this out.
https://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-nbc-sunday-night-football-cris-collinsworth-al-michaels-roger-goodell/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just an aside, but: why did Reshad Jones drop to the 5th round?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Please Omar just a seventh or eighth game please! We'll get better we promise!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don;t even really get whats going on
I think
-Allbright took that screenshot for a "man this game sucks!" tweet
-La Canfora then tweeted that "an NFL exec" sent "this pic" [same pic] to him as a "man this game sucks!"
-Allbright suspects there is no exec and that La Canfora is basically retweeting him with some plausible deniability in a way that makes it look like it's "his" tweet.

STAKES PRETTY HIGH, obviously.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The fact that it's so petty kind of makes La Canfora look even worse, really. "Hey I wish this tweet were mine and also I want to suggest that NFL execs casually hit me up"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't know who either of these people are but I hope JLC takes the "hero protecting his definitely-not-imaginary source" route.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
don't ask, this isn't about attention you see, but: I could use some help doing a google search

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

hifi posted:

I LIKE the McConaughey Lincoln commercials. (1) There are a lot of different versions. (2) They add a new one to the rotation regularly. (3) They don't SHOUT AT YOU. It's an oasis of quiet in a series of loud, insulting commercials.

—John N., Belleview, Fla.

When I was young, we had a small home, and when I played records on my turntable, I played a lot of Elton John. A lot. Once (maybe 51 times, actually), my father asked me if I like any other music than that crap. Not sure I did. Anyway, that story occurred to me when when I read your email.

(peter king)
Haha. Shame we can't see John N.'s reply.

The only thing I like about the Lincoln commercials is that I feel they accidentally get people closer to the truth about both McConaughey (faux-thoughtful narcissist, though hey good actor) and Lincolns (ungood cars).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ehud posted:

so good

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/fl-sp-dolphins-omar-kelly-open-letter-20170726-story.html

there is so much but i'll just start where it really gets good. Like I don't know what to even put in bold below lol.
Oh my god. Grittybeard already got the money shot but this was my other favorite one. Thinly veiled desperate-and-lonely plea.

I don’t bite (okay, I bite on Twitter sometimes), and I hate when people act like they’ve seen a ghost when they run into me. If we interact on Twitter show me your avatar and I’ll probably know exactly who you are, and what you think about the team (I pay attention). If we’ve hung out on the road just remind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like even then a decent editor would be like "Omar, half of this article about Dolphins training camp cannot be about how important you feel you are"
But then Omar would gently caress him up on twitter and he'd just end up realizing Omar was right all along like Omar's other fans and just feel guilty for piling onto a guy who is already carrying quite a heavy cross.

Then, years later and retired, the editor would get a wild hair and decide to have a shot of Hennessey and think "hey, this reminds me of that Omar fellow".

• Locked thread