Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News

He was right about the alien WR not being able to live in this world, he was just more right and earlier about it than this ugly world could tolerate :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

In this case I'll defend King...to a point. Gleason was put in a horrible spot by Pamphilon's release of the tape, and it's worth mentioning that he's ensnared in this scandal purely by random connection, endangering his relationship with the team and fanbase when he is relying on their goodwill for fundraising for ALS research.

But- and if King was any kind of reporter he'd go to this- reporters aren't supposed to worry about the feelings that might get hurt when they report something they discover. They're supposed to worry about the public harm if they keep silent versus the public benefit if they do their loving job.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Rap posted:

I agree with you to a point, as well. But Gleason was put in that horrible spot not by Pamphilon's release of the tape, but by the fact that Gleason heard those pro-injury comments and did nothing. Just like everyone else. I don't understand how the documentarian gets the attention and Gleason--and tons of other people--skate off without any scrutiny.

Gleason's cause was ALS, his legacy was his Saints career. Are you really blaming him for not being a crusader against the bounty program?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

e-nm bit on an incredibly obvious troll

GD_American fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 15, 2012

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Rap posted:

I just wish a third of professional writers were any loving good at it. Especially people like King and Florio, who have the contacts to write amazing stuff every week.

Well Florio has flat out owned his site since day one, so nobody's gonna edit him. Peter King has Too Big To Edit syndrome; plenty of authors develop it when they make it big (compare the size and pace of an early Stephen King book with a recent one, JK Rowling is another one).

Really, I've made the complaint before about the difference in editorial belief between SI and ESPN. SI didn't seem to understand the internet much, and let their star writers go hog wild with lifestyle blogs. That's why King and Zimmerman (who I would take back in a heartbeat, warts and all :( ) were allowed to fill columns with Flaming Redhead and Coffee Chat, while at ESPN guys like Mortensen and Pasquarelli were writing actual sports-related columns. ESPN saw their online site as just another extension of their brand, and required their reporters to act like reporters; that's why they created Page 2: to specifically have a place for more lifestyle and out-there pieces on sports.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It gets even more depressing when you see things produced by actual, money-making authors whose job is supposedly to take ideas and put them into coherent plots and comprehensible English language; then their results could have been easily fixed by one English grad saying "wait these two parts don't connect, this attempt to whittle down characters is too transparent, the motivation for this character has many contradictory reveals".

Yeah, guess which movie I just saw last night.

I understand that sites like Florio don't lend themselves to editors, but the very obvious lack of influence that editors have at more traditional places like SI is depressing.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 9, 2012

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/july/it-was-a-rough-night-for-chris-broussard-and-his-sources.html

AA has been beating the drum about ESPN being douchebags about sourcing and proper credit. This guy walked himself right into the buzzsaw.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Rap posted:

But it really says something about ESPN's ethics that they see no problem hiring Grossi after the PD (rightly, in my opinion) put him in limbo. How exactly is he an objective and responsible reporter for the Browns? Putting your opinion of the team owner out there like that is pretty much reason to take you off the beat permanently, objectivity's a basic tenet of journalism and I don't think sports should get a pass on that. It's just disappointing that ESPN has such lower standards than traditional media.

People are allowed to have personal opinions, especially about the people they cover. It wasn't even a lapse in professionalism, it was a dumb Twitter mistake. The digital equivalent of whispering something too loudly to a buddy.

I guarantee you every beat writer in the country has an un-objective opinion of the owners of the team they cover.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

They saw a chance to snatch a high-quality reporter with a damaged name for cheap and took it?

I'm sure part of his hiring was a serious mention of ESPN's Twitter policy and how many eyes are on him now because of his gaffe.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Darrel Rovell is the only high-profile Twitter douchebag I know on ESPN, and most of that's from his CNBC time.

We can blame ESPN for many, many, many, many things, but the tight leash they keep on talent on social media is something I'd actually praise them for.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Really don't see why this one got under your skin so bad, Ham. It certainly means everything he writes from here out is taken with a grain of salt, but it largely just means he was dumb enough not to understand how to be discrete about his opinions.

Weigh his case against:

a) The overwhelming number of beat reporters that commit offenses just as bad by gargling their team owner's ballsacks

b) The ones that utter opinions like Grossi's, except instead of in a misdirected DM, they actually write them in their loving columns and come back to those opinions in future columns.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I just don't see that one, either. If they thought Grossi was a valuable reporter and saw that the Plains Dealer was either gonna reassign, demote or fire him, that's the perfect time to swoop in with an offer and get him on the cheap.

Moneyball bitch

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

you don't do shots of hennessy god drat omar kelly

stealing this for Twitter

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NC-17 posted:

I love how so many people think professional athletes need more positive reinforcement than a four year old. NFL QB's must be like fragile little butterflies. Maybe the Dolphins should even give Tannehill a mini-Lombardi inscribed with "QB Contest Winner" at the end of camp.

Every sports broadcaster is guilty of overusing the word confidence to a horrendous degree.

Apparently the fragile psyches of athletes go through more swings of extreme realization followed by crippling self-doubt in one 3-hour game than any of us knew. gently caress me, I just figured for many of them it was a workday.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NC-17 posted:

If Florio and Peter King were TFF posters what would their avatars' be?

An unending succession of large, angry red text telling them what faggots they are

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE YUMMINESS OF THE ENTIRE PATRIOTS ORGANIZATION SHOVING ITS COLLECTIVE PENIS THROUGH MY ALIMENTARY CANAL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

don't be sexist that's a totally gender neutral term I talk all the time about how I'd like to grab the back of Jeff Duncan's fine Saints coverage and gently caress it into a coma

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

One hundred and eighty million American dollars for zero-content slideshows

They're not buying content. They're buying eyeballs. Blame America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Deadspin being laughably lovely and thin-skinned about the similarity of their SEO-driven model:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/deadspin-criticizes-bleacher-report-for-being-like-deadspin_b69133

• Locked thread