Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I did the math. 35% of this week's MMQB article is about non-football things. The guy doesn't even bother writing about football anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Darren Rovell is leaving CNBC for ESPN. Hopefully he'll have more opportunities to put down supermodels there.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48048236

His references to hot girls are creepy as gently caress.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19596819/welker-learns-harsh-lesson-as-pats-answer-peace-gesture-with-no-contract

I get that it's written by an African-American, but since when can you call someone a "black"?

quote:

Like many in the NFL, he worked hard. While it has always been juvenile and simple minded to portray Welker as this scrappy little white dude playing a position mostly populated by blacks, utilizing only grit, mental acuity and duct tape -- Welker is straight up talented, period -- he has indeed been one of those men who made the most of his abilities.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

NFLPA Says Darren Rovell Has “Track Record of Bad Analysis and Uninformed Opinion”

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/10/04/nflpa-says-darren-rovell-has-track-record-of-bad-analysis-and-uninformed-opinion/

Water wet, sky blue etc.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I think there's a huge ego behind his aww shucks. His refusal to attempt to change his awful mechanics or play a position besides QB indicate to me he got spoiled when he was the king of Florida.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Chichevache posted:

He spent a lot of time working on his mechanics. I'm at work, so I can't pull up the video, but there is a great YouTube clip of him practicing with a coach in the offseason.

Wasn't this just one summer before the draft? I haven't heard of him doing anything since entering the NFL, nor noticed an improvement to my untrained eye. Which is confusing, since he's always billed as super hard working, but perhaps mechanics really can't be changed.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Will someone post the interview of the GM who made fun of getting a call from Peter King, who thought he knew where the team jet was with respect to FA for a famous player, and laughing because King was completely wrong. I need a pick me up.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: Today has probably been my most productive day as a journalist this whole year, & I haven't written a word. Relationships run this business

Within the last three hours since Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly The radio segment I did TODAY with Guzio and Donno might be the best interview I've done ALL YEAR. It was a great discussion.

@OmarKelly While I've done a TON of work & research on Chris McCain, notice I haven't written a story yet. Sometimes good reporting takes time.

@OmarKelly I have nicknames for each of the loyal, faithful, hardcore followers. Don't ask....some aren't flattering. Nobody better than Smurf Killer.

@OmarKelly To @NYJ_Henry I like you, but I have to remind myself you're the enemy. You'll stab me in the back if you catch me slipping.

The narcissism and persecution complex is overwhelming.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 13, 2014

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I was musing about today about how bad football commentary is. Can you name a single commentator or writer who actually discusses the strategy that goes on in a a game? What schemes the teams generally run, how they appear to have schemed for the game, how they countered each other and adjusted within the game, what plays they ran, why they ran them, how things are evolving or changed. FO gets there with some play-by-play analysis but it's exceedingly rare for how large the sport is.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

This makes me happy for several reasons

quote:

Stayed at a Connecticut hotel Saturday night. Checked in around 6 and turned on the TV to watch the end of Alabama-Ole Miss. During a commercial, I flipped through the 50 channels to see how Nats-Giants was progressing. The TV didn’t have FOX Sports 1. No Nats-Giants then.

After dinner I came back to the room. I didn’t want to miss Cards-Dodgers—not if it was going to be anything like the Friday night masterpiece, one of the best baseball games of the year. I flipped through the channels again. No MLB Network. There was HGTV, SyFy, OWN, WE TV, the Hallmark Movie Channel. But no baseball.

Neither baseball playoff game was on my TV Saturday night. How can Major League Baseball put its showcase games on channels that don’t make the cut on a 50-channel cable system at a hotel?

I like how he mentions the Alabama game but doesn't reference anything special about it, just bitches about not being able to find baseball.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'd say no one scoring for 8 innings is a little less compelling than a big upset, but I'm the kind of the guy who didn't go nuts when we drew Mexico in soccer.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

@kentsomers Palmer's a true pro. Meets with reporters less than 24 hrs after ACL tear. He gets it.

Half of beat reporting is ASSUAGE MY EGO.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I really need to start reading MMBM more, some of these quotes are killing me. Improvements to be brought up at owner meeting:

-Dont allow a potential future ground-zero mosque to be built within 5 miles of any new NFL stadium
-New catch rule- a player has only completed the act of a catch when he makes a act common to the act of football like getting arrestied for domestic abuse or ignoring a queston from a reporter.

Also his dig on David Brooks for his view on Iraq.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Talking about a comparison between Big Ben and Winston

There both big fellas with absolute cannon arms that kind of horse around too much at times,, the only difference is one gets crabs from Publix, and the other gets it in public bathrooms. Internet trolls might try to point out that Browns offense of lineman Joe Thomas skipped the draft, but he stayed home to catch seafood with his dad, not stuff it down his pants at a local supermarket.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Getting mad at an April Fool's joke is beautiful.

Also I read the gamergate wikipedia. If there wasn't loving one billion smilies I'd post the "it's a mystery" one.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

FWIW I have a friend in NFL AM who said several people were tricked by Kurt Warner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

This may have very well been posted, but I made the mistake of tracking down my first Berry article of the year.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/lovehate-story/story?id=41466417

I give him props for ragging on himself so much. I actually didn't realize he wrote the article until I checked, I thought it was a Berry take-down piece.

edit: In retrospect I take the props back. It's really just one big humblebrag about his new contract. He mentions his new five-year deal at least twice again, once at the end of his absurd Shark Tank ramble and the other right before the start of the list.

But then:

quote:

I hate the terms "sleeper" and "bust." I believe there is no such thing. To put it another way, every single player can be either a sleeper or a bust. It just comes down to what it costs to acquire said player and whether that player exceeds or falls short of that cost.

Not to get all Shark Tanky -- it isn't actually word but what the hell do I care, I got a five-year deal, I'm above the laws of grammar and spelling -- but a super-basic business term is return on investment, or "ROI." Let's pretend you are on the hit ABC show pitching the sharks and your company makes two products:

1. A T-shirt that advertises ESPN's brand new free fantasy app that allows you to control all of your fantasy teams in one app, with increased video and content.

2. A T-shirt that advertises the new Star Wars film "Rogue One," coming this holiday season from Disney/LucasFilm.

Both products sell equally well.

Mark Cuban can't believe how blatant all the company promotion is, so he's out.

Lori Greiner asks about price point.

You tell her the App shirt sells for $20 and the Star Wars shirt sells for $25.

Mr. Wonderful hasn't been paying attention, but he snaps out of it to tell you he's so bored by this whole analogy he's out too.

Barbara Corcoran scolds Mr. Wonderful for being a jerk and says a bunch of really nice, kind and supportive things about your business before also saying, yeah, she's out.

Daymond John, the apparel expert of the sharks, says he might be interested, but only if you consolidated your business to one product. Since both shirts sell at the exact same rate, you might say you want to keep selling the $25 shirt, since you take in $5 more on that shirt.

But then Lori asks what it costs to make each shirt. Each shirt costs the same to make. However, there is no royalty on the ESPN shirt, as they are pushing the new-and-improved app almost as much as they are promoting the fact that you should play your league out on ESPN.com on the free, fully customized league manager product. ESPN is happy to let you print as many shirts as you want, as they want the advertising.

The Star Wars shirt, however, charges a 30 percent royalty rate on the image of Darth Vader because, did I mention that Darth Vader is in "Rogue One"? Because he is, and that's awesome. Anyway, because of the royalty rate, you have to pay Disney $7.50 more per shirt for Star Wars than you do for the app shirt.

So despite the Star Wars shirt being more expensive, you actually make more money (or have a better ROI) on the app shirt, to the tune of $2.50 more per shirt. A "Shark Tank" producer has explained all of this to you during a commercial break, because you were kicked off long ago ... because let's face it, who is investing in a two-shirt company?

I seem to have lost my way. Whatever. Five-year deal. Word count means nothing to me. (Editor's note: Don't I know it!) The point is that in fantasy, the idea of ROI is the same as in the T-shirt example. Every player has value. Every. Single. Player. It's just what it costs to acquire that player. Now, a player's perceived value is baked into his draft position. There's a reason Rob Gronkowski goes early in drafts and Eric Ebron does not. As it stands today, one is a much more valuable commodity.

Holy loving god.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 6, 2016

• Locked thread