Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
What if he'd meant to talk about how Lerner is the most bestest man in the world, who spreads sunshine and unicorns to the universe? That's potentially just as unobjective but much less objectionable to say. People freely say things like that out loud on broadcast coverage and there are no repercussions, but it's the exact same thing. You would hope they could remain objective about a good man's bad decisions just like if you thought Lerner was a pile of garbage but hiring Holmgren was a great move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

DangerKat posted:

This is just as bad. Even though he is a columnist and not a beat reporter, Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune in Minnesota blows so much sunshine about the sports teams here that any time he does try to report anything, no one puts any stock in it. He displays such little objectivity that it has destroyed his credibility.

The point is that from an integrity standpoint it is just the same, but I'm sure you've heard people in the media talk about Bob Kraft, owner of the Patriots and a not-necessarily-great guy, and they still have jobs

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rap posted:

Really you guys don't think reporters should strive to be fair to all sides

I don't think it's possible to be fair to all sides at all times. Even in something ultimately meaningless like a contract dispute. In 99% of cases, both sides are negotiating diligently and any sort of holdout or fine or whatever is posturing and both sides are both at fault and said/did some dumb stuff in the name of publicity or getting the better of the deal. But maybe 1% of the time [The Player/The Agent/The Team] is truly being a douche and whoever the unbiased journalist is is reporting 100% of the hosed up drama about the contract dispute, but all of it is coming from one side.

I dunno, maybe that is fair? I know you have pointed to Sara Ganim as unbiased and unopinionated in her coverage of the Sandusky stuff, but was she fair? What would you describe as fair coverage of the defense's side, for a man guilty of 45 counts of horrible things? Sometimes facts aren't fair.

This feels a little bit like a semantic discussion, but I'm genuinely curious because you seem to have strong opinions about it and they are at least somewhat different from mine.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I'm imagining he thinks its his work email.

'peterkingatsidotcom@aol.com'

"Pete... No. You don't have an AOL address. Sports Illustrated has its own website. It's called a domai... listen, never mind."

'There's no AOL Keyword for it!'

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Steve Young is not necessarily the best analyst, but holy gently caress will he call you out on your bullshit.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

AKMoose posted:

Rick Reilly has a column today about why it's better to watch an NFL game at home instead of attending live. Granted, this is just a gag list column, but it's still incredibly stupid. I attended my first NFL game earlier this year, and it completely changed the way I enjoy the game.

I'll never agree to say I was agreeing with Rick Reilly, but I do actually prefer watching the games at a place that's not the stadium. I've now had the opportunity to go to a game each of the last three seasons, and one a year seems about right. It's fun to be at the stadium, but the actual viewing experience and opportunity is way better at home or in a place where 12 football games are all on at once and everything is much less expensive.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

GNU Order posted:

Who spends money on beer and nachos during the game? If you're going to a game you should be tailgating before/after the game. Stop caring about what's going on in the rest of the NFL for 5-6 hours and just enjoy the experience, hang out and watch some football.

Obviously they each have their own merits but it's hard to get real excited about a game watching it on TV in your living room.

When I get the opportunity to go to a football game, I do. But I don't get the opportunity, and frankly don't want, to go half the football season.

Does the television steal your soul or something? How is it tough to get excited at home?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
There totally are "meaningless" yards. That's why there PFF, FO, etc are trying to qualitatively judge player contributions.

But if you're counting straight up with regard only for volume, then more = better than.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rap posted:

The appropriate answer to "Do you like girls?" is, of course, "No, the only thing I like is football"

She ended the column with the response "I like winning", which I think is in the same spirit.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Sash! posted:

The Pro Bowl seriously gets the same ratings as the NLCS and ALCS? That just sounds wrong for some reason.

The thing about baseball is that it's really regional. It gets amazing ratings for the location in the region, but not as much nationally (because MLB and its affiliated stations are poo poo about marketing nationally like the NFL does). Hey guess what, I don't want to watch the Braves play the Cardinals. I love baseball and I hate those teams.

Whereas the Pro Bowl is football methadone and there's someone from every team so every region has a "stake", and you get to see Aaron Rodgers throw to Victor Cruz and no one plays defense.

I think it would be a nice gesture for the Orioles to change their schedule in deference to the Ravens. They share a complex, and an all day sportsfest party is pretty loving awesome. Philly having 4 professional sports teams in the same block makes for interesting and fun scheduling. During the playoffs when games are scheduled on the same day it really is a block party. But for MLB to bow to NFL because GRR WE MAKE MONEY gently caress YOU is the stupidest thing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
A single game doesn't matter as much, but a Ravens game means literally nothing to the Orioles, even if it means something to you as a sports fan. Just changing stuff alters everything else around it. The Thursday game is the start of a homestand. They're traveling Wednesday after a night game, which means if you move it up to a 1pm start you've pushed up the travel schedule by 6 hours. If you can just shuffle this game, can you also ask Cleveland to move the Wednesday game up to 1pm in deference to the Orioles? They can't just shift poo poo around, it's been fixed for months now. Every change they make changes other stuff.

The "Super Bowl Winner opens the season on a Thursday" thing also means literally nothing. They could play on Sunday or Monday just as easily. It's a recent, self-imposed "tradition" that has no impact on the actual matchup.

Again, I think it would be a nice gesture for the Orioles to be accommodating, but there is no mandate for them to do so and none of the football reasons matter.

vvv We all do, man. We all do.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 20, 2013

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Ozu posted:

PFT could actually make a wise decision and kill their comment sections.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/seeking-comments-on-whether-we-should-dump-comments/

On one hand if there's one thing worse than PFT articles it's the comments on them.

On the other hand, there would be no convenient way for me to tell Mike Florio what a dog-whistle piece of poo poo he is.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

So how long until a goon-run football site gets started and then quickly flames out

It already happens, sometimes dozens of times a day. The goon creative drive and subsequent lack of execution is unmatched.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

haljordan posted:

How many "Back in MY day..." articles can you fart out on a daily basis? This is crucial.

Less the better, correct? You have to be out of touch, but not out of touch on an hourly basis. Sporadically is much better as far as I can tell.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rogue Elephant posted:

Have you ever shattered an eight year old's dream by narcing on him at a baseball game and stealing a foul ball?

You're asking Sash that?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I'm hardly a media expert, but I would think there's still a role for the shouting heads infotainment shows, a la Bill O'Reilly and Colin Cowherd and whatnot, hence ESPN's transitioning to more of that kind of programming. Then again I try to avoid all that white noise, so I don't know if it's as widespread as it feels in my channel surfing.

I really hope there's NOT a role for shouting heads, it's awful at basically all the things - no clear communication of actual facts, no intellectual honesty, no journalistic intent. I mean, if you want to do a variety show go hog wild, but don't pretend it's not a variety show, a 3 hour editorial, instead of any sort of reporting outlet.

There's absolutely still a place for reporting and articles greater than 140 characters, but Twitter has already crushed you on Being First so you should Be Accurate or Be Thoughtful. For example - the CONCEPT of Peter King's column isn't bad. It's actually good! Aggregate ideas and noteworthy items together, and offer knowledgeable perspective. The problem is presentation.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rap posted:

That article's first two sentences, for those wondering just how intellectual the article is going to be:

Is that because of what the answer should be, or what the answer is?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rap posted:

That entire article is disgusting.

They have the right, that's actually not a tough question. Is the right sometimes violated, yes, but that doesn't mean they "don't have it" and confusing those two things is not a good sign for Adam Waksman's think parts

Of course they have the right. Just reading those first two sentences without context could suggest a lot of things though. For example, if the article was written by Patrick Hruby and it started with those sentences I would assume the article's about gross censorship on the part of the league. It doesn't ask if they have the right, it asks if they do which can go in a completely different direction.

The question's academic though, because of lovely people writing lovely things.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Why would a man with a website built in his own likeness approve a headshot for his bio that horrendous?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Sash! posted:

I also have several second hand accounts that Mike Webster was a very nice guy, whereas Maurkice Pouncey is awful.

I don't know what that has to do with how big and strong he is, really. Every offensive play for modern teams would start in the secondary.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Febreeze posted:

I like how he says "looks like the worst 2-0 team in NFL history" when you could go back to literally just last year to see the Eagles were far, far worse at 2-0.

I was thinking that myself, but I didn't want to brag about recent Eagles history too much.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Surprised Reilly didn't let us know that they were buffalo steaks.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Not even close. And I'm not sure how I can better explain, honestly, but I'll try one more time and then wave the white flag and let the thread get back to more interesting stuff. Call a black person a friend of the family? Then you are a horrid piece of poo poo. Use it as a tool to ridicule the horrid pieces of poo poo or make broader points about racism? That's fine. When Cleavon Little popped up from behind that rock in Blazing Saddles and said, "Where the white women at," he wasn't celebrating a godawful racist stereotype, he was ridiculing the idiots that believe such poo poo.

When Dan Snyder insists on using an obviously grotesque slur for commercial reasons or some horseshit notion of "tradition", he's a horrid piece of poo poo. When The Onion then uses an equally awful slur that should hit home to Snyder, they are making a point and making it well.

And on those notes I'll gladly tap out.

Literally everyone in the thread got the point of the article.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

sweet thursday posted:

If Manning was so good at football, he'd play defense too. Think about it. He literally takes basically half of every game off.

If Ray Lewis was such a leader, why did he never lead block?!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Chris Gaines posted:

I knew it'd be terrible so no!

You should read it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
People are excited by old nicknames because they aren't contemporary, and so they didn't have to live through the coining and discarding of all the lovely nicknames from 80 years ago. Can you imagine how horrible nicknames are going to be 25 years from now and how we'll pine for T-Mac and RG3?

Calvin Johnson is also a hilariously bad example of samey nicknames because it might not be original but it's unique.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
There isn't anyone that exclusively discusses matchups and strategy, but during the game Gruden, Collinsworth, Maycock and Brian Billick all absolutely get into analysis like that.

quote:

Jaws of all people used to be pretty good about this type of thing when he was new to TV, not in the detail you're talking about but they'd give him a full segment now and then on whatever NFL show and he'd break down a bunch of stuff pretty nicely. Now he's either willingly bought into the hot take bullshit or just gets used for it like the Kaepernick thing which is kind of sad in either case.

They used to have an entire show called NFL Matchup that was specifically about Ron Jaworski and Merill Hoge breaking down game film and discussing it. It got marginalized and now I don't even know if it's on the air. Jaws and Hoge literally don't even have imdb credits for it. It's like the show never existed.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

WugLyfe posted:

CONGRATATION Y'ALL

Thank you. I'm feeling blessed.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Its Miller Time posted:

This makes me happy for several reasons

I like how he mentions the Alabama game but doesn't reference anything special about it, just bitches about not being able to find baseball.

An 18 inning playoff baseball game is actually a more exciting, unlikely occurrence than Alabama losing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I got a haiku published in one of his columns back when I was in college.

I'm now also remembering he hates blitzing?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

DangerKat posted:

Doubly Sweet 'N' Doubly Sour Sequence: Miami leading 24-20, Green Bay was down to fourth-and-10 with 1:07 remaining. TMQ noted two weeks ago, "If there's one thing that would put a smile on the face of Aaron Rodgers, it's a predictable blitz." All Miami needs is an incompletion -- surely the Dolphins won't big-blitz! They do, Green Bay converts. Green Bay would get two more first downs in the next six snaps, both against blitzes. Sweet for the visitors, sour for the home team.

If there's ever a thing you should do to Aaron Rodgers, it's play a zone and give him plenty of time to read and extend a play. That's the thing that messes up Aaron Rodgers.

Thanks Ggregg!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Brannock posted:

You joke, but Rodgers is like, incredibly unbelievably famously good against blitzing defenses. I'm having trouble finding current numbers on it, but in 2011 he had a 131.4 passer rating against the blitz. He's still known for it, Mike Zimmer was talking about it before the Packers-Viking games.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2216983-can-aaron-rodgers-and-the-packers-unlock-the-mike-zimmer-defense-vs-vikings

2012, 119.9 passer rating against the blitz. 2014 prior to the Vikings game, 130.5 against the blitz.

Aaron Rodgers overall:

2011 122.5
2012 108.0
2014 117.3
Career 105.8

Aaron Rodgers is an outstanding quarterback who performs at the same level whether you blitz or not.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00/splits/#advanced

You can point at the numbers I posted and the numbers you posted and say "the first ones are higher tho!", but they are not so much higher in a statistically significant sample to be more than margin of error of normal Aaron Rodgers owning everyone always.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 22, 2014

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

swickles posted:

Hines Ward belongs in the hall (he does)

Christ, what the gently caress dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Trent Williams is definitely a turd and more than deserved to be ejected in that game.

• Locked thread