Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Then I guess you're technically correct, the best kind of correct!!

yeah .. you should see that street (towns main street) - 7 places that sell alcohol :/ It's only about 300m long too :S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gullous posted:

If I win, I'm choosing your bike in a million pieces or your bike in an impound lot

Former: the DT is already perpetually in a million pieces - it's pretty much held together by prayers and gravity.

Latter: shouldn't be a problem on the Buell.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Shimrod posted:

e: Home now - provided it does :siren:Pic of your bike in front of a police station:siren:

SPD: violating rights and hiding records since

If this is all gravy, then let's get arty:

:siren: a sculpture or statue :siren:

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 16, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gullous posted:

I did not, I was out of the house!

If I win, I'm choosing your bike in a million pieces or your bike in an impound lot

Million pieces...that sounds like the CRF every ten hours or so
Impound lot...that sounds like the CRF every ten hours or so

Ah crap

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

:siren: a sculpture or statue :siren:

Wish I owned a Dnepr or Ural so I could park in front of the Lenin statue in Fremont. :ussr:

Bout to head out and get some food, I'm gonna try to get a statue picture.

e: meh, maybe tomorrow. Working on a final project had me inside 'til the sun went down.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 17, 2012

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

invision posted:

Can we have the current challenge in SIRENS in the OP?
I love love love the idea of the first person to get the shot having the right to pick the next shot - but I also love love love the idea of more participation and therefore MOAR PICTURES.

OWT, can we up this to a 'challenge board' in the OP with all challenges from the current week (e.g. "since Monday Morning") listed - and perhaps a list of people who successfully completed that challenge, with only the LAST challenge of the previous week rolling over...

Like this:
:siren: Week Ending 4/18/12:siren:
A picture of your bike in a tunnel - Olde Weird Tip, nsaP,
Your bike in front of a laundromat - Gay Nudist Dad,
A BOAT - Linedance, invision
take a picture outside a hip urban coffee shop with an espresso based beverage - nsaP, Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear
An airfield - Clutchpuck
Take a pic of your bike next to an animal statue - Shimrod
Your bike in front of a bar or pub or tavern or saloon! - Shimrod
Pic of your bike in front of a police station - Gay Nudist Dad
a sculpture or statue -

Because, Holy poo poo does that inspire you to go do some loving riding this weekend, or what?

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 17, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabs posted:

'challenge board'

I wholeheartedly support this. Keep the same "first person to do it picks the next one" but you can continue to post submissions for any of the challenges from the previous week. If you wanted to get extra fancy you could also have a leaderboard of who has completed the most challenges in the current week, and the winner each week picks the initial topic for the next week. This way people who have to work and can't just jump to the nearest laundromat in 30 minutes still have an opportunity to win things by going on a weekend ride and collecting as many as they can. Right?

[e] if it goes that way, it could become confusing trying to figure out what the most recent challenge is since people will be posting pictures of all different subjects. So I would recommend that if you are the first person to complete a challenge (scroll back and see), then post it in sirens with the next challenge in bold below it...but if you are just making a submission, put it in regular text with some other unusual emoticon or something.

:siren: I completed post your bike on the killing floor of a slaughterhouse! :siren:
(pic)
the next topic is your bike inside the large hadron collider

I also completed
:sax: your bike on the roof (pic)
:sax: your bike in a subway tunnel (pic)

How would that be?

[e2] yeah really this would be a lot of work for OWT

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 17, 2012

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Sagebrush posted:

I wholeheartedly support this. Keep the same "first person to do it picks the next one" but you can continue to post submissions for any of the challenges from the previous week. If you wanted to get extra fancy you could also have a leaderboard of who has completed the most challenges in the current week, and the winner each week picks the initial topic for the next week. This way people who have to work and can't just jump to the nearest laundromat in 30 minutes still have an opportunity to win things by going on a weekend ride and collecting as many as they can. Right?
Yep, and it opens up some really nice opportunities for combinations - like taking a picture of the bike by the Sculpture of the Demon Blue Horse of Denver International Airport...for Triple awesomeness.

It really comes down to whether OWT is down for the administration duties of something like that.

Can't imagine it'd be a ton more work than keeping up with reading the thread, though. Just keep an OP edit window in a second tab as you read the thread...

Seems like something we could collectively manage, too, via posts at or near the top of each page... "Current Challenges" or something...

Where's the :mootmoot: when you need it? =)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 17, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I fail to see how this concept requires any discussion, or "rule" tweaking. Go for a ride, grab a pic, post it. If you're first, post a new challenge, if not, oh well, try for the next one. Don't have a teary because you didn't have time to go get it before someone else. How hard is that?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I fail to see how this concept requires any discussion, or "rule" tweaking. Go for a ride, grab a pic, post it. If you're first, post a new challenge, if not, oh well, try for the next one. Don't have a teary because you didn't have time to go get it before someone else. How hard is that?
I'll flip that on it's head and ask you this?

Why are you having a teary because a way is suggested to get more people out on bieks and more awesome pictures of bieks and <random objects> in this thread?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jabs posted:

Why are you having a teary because a way is suggested to get more people out on bieks and more awesome pictures of bieks and <random objects> in this thread?

Because it's unnecessary, the basic concept is fine.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

To add another inner west Sydney voice to the mix - I agree with 2ndclasscitizen. I was looking at doing the sculpture one this afternoon, had to keep checking on the phone that no one had beaten me and had a nice ride in the rain looking for a sculpture.

Never did find one

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The entire thing is unnecessary, the point is to have more fun.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I still think you shouldn't be allowed to comment on the rules unless you have a picture in the thread. (looking at you, marv :) )

Eh...it's whatever...we need something that lets people participate. Maybe two games even.

We moved to the week long challenge last year after stupid arguments like this. At the end of the week we'd vote the winner and they'd pick the next challenge. I like those, as I don't like worrying about if I've been beaten with picture and it was "wasted". I also like seeing other's interpretation of the challenge.

On the other hand, I like the game that moves quickly as well. Picture wise, that is. Multiple posts about what you would take a shot in front of are boring, take the picture.

What we don't need is a lot of bull clogging up the picture thread. I think we should figure this out or just go with what we have. Enough time was wasted debating it already.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

nsaP posted:

What we don't need is a lot of bull clogging up the picture thread. I think we should figure this out or just go with what we have. Enough time was wasted debating it already.
Well, it's supposed to be in the 80's in Denver tomorrow, and I got 9 things on my list...(and a bitch ain't one of 'em)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Less bitchin' more challengin'.

I missed like three of these, going to keep my camera on me at all times now.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Even my podunk town has lions outside the library.

How about :siren: in front of a radio station:siren:?

e: added another siren. I was posting from my phone, and typing colons is hard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 17, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Spent 15 minutes trying to find a loving MicroSD reader in my electronics pile. Oh well.

Sculpture is of notable humanitarians, and has a website with the least amount of useful information possible.

VVVV the new challenge was posted by the winner this round, albeit with only one siren.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 17, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Nice statues there - we have a crap horse and a big red elephant around here and that's it - both related to shops. Don't forget a new challenge!

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Radio station: check

Staying on the theme of stations, show me :siren: a train station :siren:. It can be abandoned, still in use, or converted to some other purpose.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

East-facing view of an arriving Fremont train at Hayward, CA BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station. Shot taken from the top level of the station's parking garage.

:siren: a hospital please :siren:

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 18, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

:siren: your bike in front of a lake :siren:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I call bullshit. That doesn't look like any hospital I've ever seen. Is it an animal hospital or something? :colbert:

[e]

nsaP posted:

You aren't allowed to talk anymore.

To be honest, yeah. I will refrain from posting in this thread until my bike is put back together and I can contribute a photo.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 18, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sagebrush posted:

I call bullshit. That doesn't look like any hospital I've ever seen. Is it an animal hospital or something? :colbert:

I think he is from Australia or something, he did us the favor of flipping the photo over so it's harder to tell.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

You aren't allowed to talk anymore.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

[e]

To be honest, yeah. I will refrain from posting in this thread until my bike is put back together and I can contribute a photo.

That's Laidley Hospital, Queensland, Australia. Google it if you want.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Shimrod posted:

That's Laidley Hospital, Queensland, Australia. Google it if you want.

Thanks for posting that, I think it really adds to the value of these pictures if we know where they're taken and what we're looking at. I actually did Google it because I've never seen an acute care hospital like that in California, or at least I never paid attention to notice ones built like that. I updated my post with some information as well.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Leybourne Lakes, Kent (UK)

There were a whole bunch of coots, swans and I think pink-footed geese in the area. None of which were kind enough to wander into shot, though they didn't seem particularly perturbed by the bike. And some seagulls perched on the bouys like they just didn't care.

:siren: Your bike with a live animal (bonus points if not a pet type animal or if animal is interacting with bike rather than just in the same shot) :siren:

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 18, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
brb gonna go hit a deer

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

drat, it's night here - if it was day I'd just ride down my street and get attacked by the geese like usual and snap a pic as I went past :(

e: I like how you edited the "live" in after his post, haha

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shimrod posted:

drat, it's night here - if it was day I'd just ride down my street and get attacked by the geese like usual and snap a pic as I went past :(

e: I like how you edited the "live" in after his post, haha

Live was in already, I just bolded it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What kind of pansy-rear end deer you got in the UK that would even notice, let alone be killed by, being struck by a motorcycle?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

What kind of pansy-rear end deer you got in the UK that would even notice, let alone be killed by, being struck by a motorcycle?

hang on, I'll show you...

...ehhh tomorrow probably.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 18, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If it didn't snow last night I'd be all over this. :(

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Meh, no bonus points for me. It's raining today but lil girl was ready to go!

:siren:Your bike Off-road :siren:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

poo poo, most of these challenges are close to me! I'm still learning to ride, but once I'm competent and wont kill myself I plan on participating quite a bit!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

The R6 is a great All Terrain Vehicle

:siren::siren: Post your bike next to water treatment equipment:siren::siren:
Retention ponds, pipelines, facilities, anything that handles drinking water counts.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 19, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gullous posted:

:siren::siren: Post your bike next to water treatment equipment:siren::siren:
Retention ponds, pipelines, facilities, anything that handles drinking water counts.
If the roads clear up today/tomorrow I can oblige. We've got a lifting station close by casa slidebite. Heck, I know enough water techs if I wanted I could probably ride it right into the lifting house for a photo.

What's the hard on with treatment equipment? Your job?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I was thinking of what would make for a fun ride/adventure. I've gone Google map hunting in the past and watershed stuff has always resulted in cool poo poo; pristine pavement/access roads, pictures of weird industrial poo poo in the woods, and misdemeanor trespass!

But for you lazy Seattle goons This is easy

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Gullous posted:

I was thinking of what would make for a fun ride/adventure. I've gone Google map hunting in the past and watershed stuff has always resulted in cool poo poo; pristine pavement/access roads, pictures of weird industrial poo poo in the woods, and misdemeanor trespass!

But for you lazy Seattle goons This is easy

For some of us Seattle goons it is even easier (this is a mile from me) but I'm sick as a dog and probably won't be leaving the house.

• Locked thread