Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm taking advantage of GMT here.. I rode out to Southwark to take a picture of the World Famous Golden Hinde Galleon Ship (Currently Undergoing Renovation).
I could have just gone down to the river near me and taken a picture of a rowboat, but this was more fun!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My challenge, since I'm now going to get an expensive coffee from Monmouth Coffee in borough market is as follows:

:siren: take a picture outside a hip urban coffee shop with an espresso based beverage :siren:

if you haven't got one of those, I guess a Tim Hortons will have to do!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

orthod0ks posted:

Off topic... what kind of bike is that?

Aprilia Pegaso Strada. The wheels are blue, if you can believe it! (it needs a bath).
650 single, shared with various Yamahas and other smaller makes. It makes about 50HP and kicks rear end for urban riding and country lanes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

_Dav posted:

Monmouth is awesome..

Is it expensive really? The one on Monmouth street is 1.80 for a double espresso/macchiato which is the same as starbucks and the other unmentionables.

2.35 for a filter coffee, so not massively expensive, but still about a pound more than a sb filter and you get less, but yeah Monmouth is still awesome. An island of good coffee in a nation of instant drinkers. Their whole beans are excellent. If you're in borough market and after a coffee though, I highly recommend getting a mocha from rabot estate. It is loving delicious. Usually less busy than Monmouth too.
/coffee chat

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Lots of talk, not many pics. Mammoth on Monmouth st. here

Take my word that the espresso is in my hand... Next challenge :siren: is an airfield:siren:

Does an air<i>port</i> count? I guess even if it did I'd somehow have to get airside which would be impossible...
This is fun, it's like a worldwide motorcycle scavenger hunt!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

What kind of pansy-rear end deer you got in the UK that would even notice, let alone be killed by, being struck by a motorcycle?

hang on, I'll show you...

...ehhh tomorrow probably.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 18, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Oh, man, this was made for me. This from the deck at work, looking down from the 4th floor:

Bonus view, lensflare, and inspiration for the next challenge:

:siren: your ride and a major sporting event location (pro preferred) :siren:

hmm, I think I can manage this one... might make it a 5-for-the-price-of-1...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Bad iphone night shot but Great American ballpark, Paul Brown, and US Bank arena.

Thinking of the next one...

Edit: How about :siren: Your bike with a covered bridge:siren:

drat YOU NSAP!!! :argh:

Well, with a bit of alteration to my route, I'm gonna do both! I'll be posting from the road and editing my post as I go and when I get back home I'll post my challenge. The rest of y'all now have 20 minutes to do the covered bridge to beat me. ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

it is a bridge, it has a lid, it is a covered bridge. So what if it is for pedestrians to get from the terminal to the parking garage. :)

next stop, Twickenham!

Twickenham rugby stadium, home of the Harlequins and England Rugby.

Oh why not throw a statue in there while I'm at it...

Next, some wildlife (if I'm lucky).

These are the kind of deer we have over here... Taken in Bushy Park.

I see you looking at me...

Obligatory lunch shot: (it looked a lot more apetizing without the flash...)

anyone for a spot of tennis? Wimbledon tennis stadium

Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC

When in Fulham...

Stamford Bridge, home of Chelsea FC, which is, incidentally, in Fulham.

p.s. Fulham is mostly poo poo.

I was going to go to QPR's stadium, but the roads are starting to fill up with idiots so now I'm back home.
So far, most of these challenges have been pretty easy to accomplish, whether you live around the corner or it's somewhere near work. So the next challenge is:
:siren:Send Me A Postcard!:siren:
and by that I mean, go somewhere that isn't the town or city you live in, or near your work, and take a picture of your bike outside a Landmark Of Significance. It can be a building, or a natural wonder, or the World's Biggest Dumptruck, whatever, but it should be something you could get a postcard of. And none of this "technically I live in Jersey City so here's a pic of the Empire State Building. Yes, technically you'll be correct, but I'll call you a bureaucrat. ;)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 29, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Here's my precious out front of a USMC facility near my house. Officially it is used to train Marines or something like that, but I actually think it's used for... secret underground government testing. There's some much cooler government property not too far from me, but the opportunity presented itself.

New challenge: :siren:Your bike in front of a dealer of the opposite stereotype!:siren: Bring your Ducati to a Kawasaki dealer or your Yamaha to a Harley dealer!

what the heck is the opposite stereotype of an Aprilia Pegaso? I guess the opposite of an Aprilia dealership is any dealership at all.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

edit- nevermind

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There are signs around here that say "gusty winds may exist." So that's something that may or may not be happening from the past towards the future, if, in fact, at all. Most existential signs ever.

Sign Not In Use

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mao posted:

In an attempt to resurrect this thread I hopped on my bike, grabbed some lunch and then swung by a local playground to snap the picture and get things moving again.

Unfortunately, my cellphone decided it was more important to save the last of its battery in case I received annoying phone calls from people I'd rather not talk to and was unwilling to sacrifice the last of its juice for the greater good.

Give me a couple hours and I'll head back out and finish this so we can move on.

I think I'll finally have a chance to get on the bike for something other than commuting tomorrow so hopefully I can continue it!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Strife posted:

I wonder if you can get handicapped plates for a motorcycle.

:siren:Your bike with a horse crossing sign:siren:

Horse crossing signs frighten me.

I'd have a good one for this if I still had a bike. Since I won't for a while still, anyone near London check out Wellington arch.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

According to Wikipedia, "Alpha Tau Omega ... is a secret American leadership and social fraternity." I think the secret's out, guys!

I think my last challenge was a little harder than I intended, and I apologize. Hopefully this one will be better. Show me:

:siren:a Sheetz Gas Station!:siren:

Now, I realize Sheetz is not a nation wide chain, so I'll accept other competitors in that market space: reasonably up-scale gas station / convenience stores with branded food concepts. Eg. QuikTrip, Casey's General Store, Wawa, and the nicer Racetrack stations and AM/PM stores.

I have no idea what any of those are except AM/PM which from what I know is a convenience store in Japan, so in the interest of moving things along, here's our equivalent of the type of thing I think you're talking about :

BP petrol station + M&S Simply Food

Marks & Spencer has a reputation as a posh place to get your groceries, but they also do a lot of heat+serve and ready to eat meals and snacks as well as stuff you can grab on the way home from work and throw together for a quick dinner. You can also get your staples here like milk and bread and wine and beer. Their actual food stores are much better than their service station ones.

My challenge, since I've been itching to do one of these all summer but couldn't since my bike was stolen:
:siren:Your Bike In Another Country!:siren:

I appreciate this may be a bit tough if you live Omaha or Key West or something, but it shouldn't be too hard for us European lot or if you live in Detroit or something. How you prove it is up to you. A border crossing is fine, but national/regional stereotypes would be preferable.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Get some pontoons, you'll be in Cuba in no time.

bonus points for this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Skreemer posted:

Your Bike either on or at your place of solace. That one place you go when you want to get away from it all, your favorite restaurant, slice of road, parking spot in the middle of nowhere, strip club maybe?

I don't think they make a bottle big enough to fit a motorcycle :rimshot:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Here is my bike, awaiting a new rear tire:

Turning to our left we have a road with a pub just visible:

this is the pub, Ealing Park Tavern:

in it, they usually have my favourite beer so far since moving here, Doom Bar from Cornwall. Unfortunately they didn't have any because of a delivery problem.

So I had to make do with this instead:

this was lunch:

So with a cornish ale and a bowl of moules, let's stick with the theme and
:siren: Post Your Bike By The Sea (or the closest thing you've got to it)! :siren:

and with that, I'm off to pick up my bike and break in my new tire!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wulframn posted:

I envy you for that pub more than words can say. I don't think we have a pub here in town. We have an Irish "pub", but they have to be realistic in their business practices - so they cater to all sorts of clientele. I went in there once and ordered a pint of Guinness; boy, from the stink eye some of those guys gave me - drinking their Coors and stuff - you'd have thought I had just pronounced that America had just adopted communism or something. I could never get the bartender to come back over to me to get another pint, so I just left some money on the counter and left.

West London has no shortage of excellent pubs. EPT is nice but I don't go there that often. The food and pub itself is good but they aren't the best at keeping cask ale, it's been off the past couple of times I've been in there.
And not to rub it in but every pub here serves Guinness :cheeky: :guinness:.
(personally I never drink the stuff, I prefer cask ales)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

or less winter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shimrod posted:

:siren: Your bike in front of the "Welcome to ______ " sign in your area! :siren:

I don't know... that elephant is looking pretty life-sized... ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

The hell is a pine?

Australian short form for pineapple maybe?

I'm more worried about Scallop Haven's famous fruit smoothies. Mmmm pineapple scallop smoothie...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Air cooled engine + rain. I'd do it, but for once this year it isn't raining.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There are any number of famous bridges in this city I could have used, none of which is it advisable to stop in the middle of to take a picture whilst holding up traffic like some goddamned tourist. :)
So instead, here's a bridge over the Grand Union Canal where it starts in Brentford.

Now in honour of the sun finally showing up after months of promising to call, the two-timing rear end in a top hat, (oh I can't stay mad at you, you know I love you baby!)
:siren: your bike and a beautiful sunset!:siren:

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 7, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Not before I get my post in! :getin:

Behold the South Downs Way

click for big

click for big

Part of the South Downs national park

click for big

click for big

Our national parks aren't like North American ones, they don't have signs really, or entrances, there just a designated area in which there are farms, villages, light industry etc.. They do have some lovely countryside though, and walking paths, bridle paths etc criss - crossing them. The South Downs Way cuts across 100 miles across the whole park from Winchester to Eastbourne.

And since these pictures were taken at Cocking Hill

click for big
(not far from Titty Hill)

:siren:your bike by a sign for an amusing sounding place.:siren:

Doesn't have to actually be a "welcome to Butte" sign, could just be a sign saying "Butte 69". Should be a place though, not just a street sign.

This was my route, roughly, if anyone is interested: http://goo.gl/maps/UTcwO
There are some great riding roads all throughout the South Downs. Some of the bigger roads can get busy on weekends and at rush hour, and some of the smaller ones can be quite rough with random gravel in corners and horse poop in your track. Weekday afternoon though, you have the place mostly to yourself (bar the odd tractor). It's a lovely place to spend a few hours exploring.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 23, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

These are all great suggestions, but suggestions aren't pictures motorcycles parked next to "Cockburn Central" signs... now Get Out And Ride®

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

axia posted:

The photo says it all!

And here it is today, my bike is parked pretty close to where the Furniture truck is sitting.

You can see the building on the right is still the same.

And a bonus shot of the Coors Brewery. The photo below was taken sometime in the late 1800's and is considered the "Original Brewery Building."

It is now over 4 miles long and makes 30% of the beer consumed in the US. The photo I took isn't in quite the same place, but its about as close as I could get without going on private property.

New Challenge:
:siren:Show us your bike on your favorite road!:siren:

that's pretty cool, a brewery challenge sounds like a good one actually... No way I'm going to make this though, I'm flying to Montreal tomorrow and won't be back until thursday.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ferry to Poole, enjoy the freedom of 60mph speed limits on very narrow twisty roads with high walls and hedges.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

loving BAM

The Black Velvet distillery. Manufacturers of this fine gutrot:

As part of my job, I do a ton with this plant. Really cool guys and I can honestly say if you drink this stuff, I had a little bit to do with it. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing though. :ohdear:

New challenge:

:siren: YOUR BIKE PARKED IN FRONT OF A SNACK/CANDY MASS MANUFACTURING PLANT :siren:

Something like a potato chip plant, chocolate/candy bar plant, mass bakery (like Hostess, Little Debby), that kind of thing. Bonus with a photo of what that plant is known for.

I also humbly suggest a change to the rules:

If after 1 week the challenge is not completed, the challenge maker should be able to (but not obligated) to complete the challenge themselves. Reason being I suspect that most people who post challenges have something in mind themselves when they post it.

Thoughts? Might also help with the game to flow.

drat, I was gonna do distillery, brewery, and winery in the same trip! I was gonna refinish my kitchen counter top tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll find one reason or another to procrastinate and riding around industrial estates off the north circular looking for bombay mix factories sounds as good a reason as any.

I like your idea, and I think you're right. I know I have things in mind when I've posted a challenge, and I want to see what others interpretation is. If it turns out to be too obscure, you might as well reveal your cunning plan and come up with something simpler.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 29, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Akion posted:

Does gum count?.

It smelled like Spearmint.

:siren:YOUR BIKE ON TOP OF A DAM :siren:

That's cool, I went to a town in Holland that smelled like cocoa because of a chocolate the factory at the edge of town. I was going to go to the Mars manufactory in Slough today but my countertop took all drat day (and it was raining all day anyway).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just found a good website to help people out if they want to go find an obscure challenge, but don't know where to look:
https://www.waymarking.com

Searchable by location, category of thing, all sorts.

For example, for the animal crossing sign in the UK, let's say you want a badger crossing sign, but don't know where to look,
http://www.waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=aec22d15-45aa-43bd-848d-3e3801fc325d&wo=True&ct=11&st=2

Also cool for this thread, because instead of riding to places you've been before or know about, you can use it to find things where you haven't been before.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

www.amazon.com posted:

I'm not sure this should count but I'll leave it up to you all. Found this really early this morning and then when I went to start my scooter again, the kickstart lever is loose so I had to wait for someone to bring me a pair of vice grips. Turned into like a 4 hour challenge quest for a place 15 minutes from home.

I'll post a challenge here if you all decide this can count.

I assume that sign means there's a blind crossing, meaning either you or the pedestrian or both have limited visibility.
If it really is for the visually challenged,
A) the man should have a cane, and
B) while they may make good house pets, I don't think you can count them as "animals crossing", no matter how rare they are.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Well the Christians around here may disagree but blind people are actually animals, along with all other humans.

So are we saying that blinds count as obscure animals, or just a subset of common human animals? Like, would you count a pony crossing sign in dartmoor a boring horse crossing sign, or something interesting?
Either way, I'd rather wait and see a sign for some flightless bird from New Zealand.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Horses aren't ponies, humans are indeed animals.

Ponies are horses though, riddle me that mister scientist.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Are you saying blind people aren't humans? For shame dude...

What I'm questioning is if they're an obscure enough type of human to qualify for an obscure animal crossing sign. Especially since the pictogram is clearly just an ordinary pedestrian crossing, and only the writing underneath gives any indication that the pedestrian might be unsighted. You might as well take a picture of a deer crossing sign that has an extra point on its antler and call it different.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I thought it was a pickle :confused:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

www.amazon.com posted:

I actually found something I could have used for the animal crossing sign while riding around to a tunnel.

This tunnel is only a pedestrian tunnel as a part of a greenway. Oh well.

:siren: Your bike next to a ski lift :siren:

The peanut gallery deems your tunnel Acceptable+ ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

I was going to put a bag of Doritos or Lays in front of my bike since they are made here for a good portion of Canada and the US, but since I'd have to buy some and I am sort of watching my diet I figured :effort:

So I did this instead:

The Lethbridge Viaduct.

Probably not super iconic for those outside of Western Canada, but in the world of bridges it's pretty well known:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethbridge_Viaduct

New Challenge: The Challenge so nice we're doing it (more than) twice!

:siren: A HISTORICAL PHOTO AND REPLICATE THE PHOTO WITH YOUR BIKE IN FRAME :siren:

2 photos are required for this challenge. A historical/vintage photo and a current photo where you try your best to replicate the frame but this time with your bike in it. In other words, as best you can stand where the earlier photographer was and capture the same perspective.

From the earlier challenge :

If possible, try to use a photo at least 20 years old for the vintage photo... the older the better.

Missed this one the first time, and I had a really good one in mind. Going to try for it on Friday since I'll be out running some errands.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

More from the historical photo challenge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_building

THE HOOVER BUILDING IN 1949 by StockCarPete, on Flickr

Difficult to get this shot without getting run over, as that road is the onramp for the a40.

It's now a headquarters of Tesco, a huge grocery store chain. At least it's still in use!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

West London is sort of an Art Deco museum, not too far away on the A4 you've got Gillette Corner which has a nice little cluster of surviving Art Deco factories, and further up the A40 there's a bunch more which are slowly being demolished because they're not as well-known. Most of the Underground stations out that way, particularly on the Piccadilly and District lines, are lovely Art Deco pieces too. There's some crackers in the West End too (those that escaped the Luftwaffe and the 60s anyway).

I know this challenge is gone now but I sort of wanted to go the other way with it; I live in an area that has changed completely beyond recognition in the last 20 years, so a picture like this:

was taken somewhere that now looks like this:

(Slight liberty taken with location and the Street View wide-angle lenses kinda sell the Canary Wharf towers, among the tallest in Europe, pretty short, but you get the idea).

Maybe I'll go for it anyway as a general project, seems like as good a thing to photograph as any.

I was going to do Gillette corner, but I couldn't find any good old photos of it from street level (plus, it wasn't on my way!). Those are some of the more well known, but hell even Vanguard Storage on the a40 is maximum Deco. The Barratt Homes development in Brentford just beside the M4 is a good one, and like you said there's tons more. My absolute favourite though is the Barkers building in Kensington:
http://goo.gl/maps/NlQgG

• Locked thread