Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fuuuuck I'm less than a mile from a tunnel, but I've been driving the past few weeks because I let maintenance items pile up on the bike and I don't feel comfortable riding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Goddamnit, I live next to the military college and there are real WWII tanks and howitzers and stuff all over the place (for that matter, military equipment from all eras between like 1780 and 1980)...but I can't ride until my new tires get here. Ugh.

Push it!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nsaP posted:

What do you have in mind here because personally, any animal that I think is even close to "ridiculous" is not one I'd come across on a bike.

Goon/misogynist answer is revert to the "take a pic with a member of the opposite sex" challenge.

I saw a guy walking a standard poodle that had a full body mohawk yesterday, and almost stopped to get a picture with that. If I see him again today, maybe.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

Well, I am a "bear" :gay: (or some sort of otter, or cub, it's all quite vague...) so does this count? (Warning: topless hairy dude.)

Aww, and I went through the trouble of talking to a stranger for this!

(Sweet KLR, bee tee doubleyou)

Edit: My bike is the same color as the city garbage cans. Not sure how I feel about this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

Oh, uh, I was half joking, but OK.

Let's see :siren: a memorial for a war, battle, veterans, etc.:siren:

New challenge when I get home.

Lesse... :siren:A bird's eye view of your bike!:siren:

Find a tall building! Climb a tree! Rent a hang glider! Show us what the sparrows see when you thunder underneath!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 28, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wish you were here!
Storyteller Statue
Buckhead Triangle Park
Buckhead
Atlanta, Ga
USA

(apologies for the lovely picture, but I had to wake up mighty early to have the time to stop by before work)

New challenge when I get to work

Edit:
At work. Your new challenge is:
:siren:Get high!:siren:

This is the opposite of my old challenge. I want to see your bike way high up above the ground. Zip to the tippy top of a really tall parking structure! Park on an overpass! Take a picture from a scenic mountain overlook! Bonus points will be awarded for creativity and picturesque scenery.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 30, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

In what magical Narnia do you live?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

spootle posted:

:siren:Your bike inside in front of a public payphone:siren:

Could be easy, could be hard, depends on how far in the future your area is

Let's see if I remember to stop and grab a picture after lunch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Detroit117 posted:

:siren: Your bike next to some road kill :siren:

(bonus points for bigger animals)

God, it's like animals have stopped running out in front of cars. Either that, or road kill is lumped in with generic debris when I ride, and I ignore it other than to not run over it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

If that's what I think it is, a little sign that talks about something that happened in the area in the past, that's perfect.

If you can find any little signs talking about something that's going to happen in the future, that could be interesting too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I can't compete with that last one, so heres the next challenge.

:siren: Post your bike on a playground. :siren:

Bonus points for kids. Double bonus points for shocked mothers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

How do you like your Pelicans (threadjack!)?

Perfect size to hold just about anything, and they make great frame sliders. They do accumulate cruft, though (old bottles of motor oil, mostly empty cans of chain lube, tupperware containers, shop towels, etc. etc. etc.).

I need to replace the left one. It doesn't close all the way anymore after I dropped the bike on it at speed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Huh, seems the only gurdwara (Sikh temple) in Denmark is like three blocks from where I live. Not much to look at, but I'll probably go grab a pic tomorrow.

The Baha'i center is about 10 minutes out of my way, but the Soto Zen center is on my way home. I might beat you to it. (I forgot my camera when I left for lunch, otherwise I would have had a picture of the Krog St. Tunnle).

Edit: nope. Traffic was not in my favor this day.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 11, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

GA-400: straight, flat, no lights, and sometimes there are miles between exits/entrances.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

Ugh, the Natchez Trace is in my backyard (2 lanes, no stop signs, right of way the entire 444 mile stretch, no commercial traffic allowed, lots of twisties down to Leiper's Fork, big rear end bridge with an awesome view) but it's too dark to take a picture and I work tomorrow. Someone is going to get this before me.

Take the picture. I think most of us live in a city with no good riding roads.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

:siren:YOUR BIKE DOING SOMETHING NON-STEREOTYPICAL FOR ITS GENRE:siren:

Example of what I mean: A sportbike offroad, a Harley cornering really hard, a dual sport at a track day, etc.

Supermotard on a superslab?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I wish I had gotten a picture of when my buddy and I rode to a gun show. It was like Harley, Harley, Harley, ratty Ninja, KLR650, Harley, Harley, Harley, Harley.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Are you dragging a knee? You'd better not be dragging a knee!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Does this count, or do I have to find a way to mount more luggage to the bike?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

There were balance issues.

That picture wound up costing me $10, too. I "borrowed" a bungee cord off of a co-worker's truck, which snapped. I replaced it with a roll of velcro strapping material because I felt bad for touching his poo poo without asking.

So...

:siren:Keep your poo poo nice.:siren: Change your oil. Oil your chain. Adjust that fucker! I know I'm going to be doing that over the weekend. Show me you are too, with pictures.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Does building it count? Feels like cheating otherwise I would take a picture of the track bike with it's new unmounted tires, oil pan and general mess of poo poo.

If there's not a good picture by Sunday, show these busters what a hard core motorcycler you are.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jackson St. Bridge over Freedom Parkway, made famous by AMC's The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead was apparently shot in an alternate reality where a train replaces Andrew Young Int'l Blvd.

Upon further inspection, it looks like I shot my picture from the bridge in the poster. The poster picture was shot from Boulevard.

Extra credit

Candler Mansion, Briarcliff Campus, Emory University. Apparently, scenes for an incredibly banal CW series called The Vampire Diaries were shot here.

Olde Wierd Tip Because mine sucked and you have a '90s reference inbound, you get 3 hours to post yours. BEGIN!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Safety Dance, since you were the first, but decided to pass, you call the winner. The winner can be you if you so choose

A winner is you! Claim your prize by posting the next challenge.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jeez dude. How bad is it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I keep forgetting that the parking deck at my gym is pretty drat tall. What's the over/under on me remembering AND getting healthier tomorrow?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

I am keeping this aviation related for the next challenge.

This next picture must have a (edit) control tower in the background. Bonus if you have an abandoned army air base next to where you live where and old abandoned control tower can be found.

Caveat: Can NOT be from an airport currently labelled 'XXX international' per skyvector.com and Airnav.com.
Boring images of huge airports suck.

PS Btw it's perfectly okay to drive into an uncontrolled airplane without 'permission' Drive cautiously on taxiways in case of airplanes spinning their fan thing.

Okay, I'm calling many fewer shenanigans now that it doesn't have to be an abandoned control tower. Skyvector.com is a really neat tool for finding airports.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Strife posted:

Couldn't get someone to photograph me going ATGATT down the slide. :(

:siren:Next up: Photograph your bike at EITHER a skate park OR in front of a sign that prohibits skateboarding.:siren:

Hint: no skateboarding signs can often be found at high schools and libraries.

Bam.

Your next challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to :siren:strap a pizza to your bike and take it for a ride:siren:.

Edit: Dammit, I picked up a pizza on the way home and took a picture, but my jerk phone didn't save it.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 28, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That's a hell of a fountain. What's the next challenge?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

In the immortal words of Jermaine and Luda,
"Welcome to Atlanta where the playas play
And we ride on them things like every day
Big beats, hit streets, see gangsta's roamin'
And parties dont stop til' eight in the mornin'"

Founded as a rail hub and burnt to the ground during the American Civil War, Atlanta has grown to be the largest city in the American Southeast and the 9th largest MSA in America with 5.26 million residents. This humble sign sits in a little park on the south side of Ponce de Leon Ave. I wanted to get a picture of this sign:

but So So Def Records had to take it down a few years ago due to Jermaine Dupri liking to spend money.

Your next challenge:
:siren:Show me something associated with a song!:siren:
If you're in Detroit, go visit 8 Mile Rd. If you're in Massachusetts, show me Theresa's Stockbridge Cafe (formerly Alice's Restaurant). Get creative!

If you're in Kansas, you get a pass because Kansas sucks. You can take a picture of anything and have it count for Kansas.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This is the actual Dick's in the song/video, on Broadway near Denny in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. The Taco Bell doesn't exist anymore.

You're the best, Gay Nudist Dad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

And maybe a quick video testimonial saying that he identifies as a squid. Nothing formal, no need to post a scan of a notarized document to this effect.

(I vote yes, your picture fits the bill perfectly.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I once carried 24 on my KLR. I imagine anyone should be able to manage six without breaking a sweat.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'll claim the challenge tomorrow morning if no one else does by trailering my bike up to the Big Chicken in Marietta.

The shop is only a mile or two from there

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

We got 'em in Atlanta too (Stone Mountain Park), and I saw them in Dallas (I think). They're all based off of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Taken three months ago, so carry on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I thought about putting the disabled hang-tag on my bike when I was riding but still had to walk with a cane. Never wound up doing it, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CloFan posted:

Depending on where you live, that would be stolen in .002 seconds.

Yeah, that was concern number 1. Number 2 was the fact that the temporary tags are just stiff paper, and would probably blow away.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I rode out to a horse farm, but I couldn't find any horse crossing signs.

I did tear apart the carb on that bike for the second time, however, and it runs now, so the day wasn't a total loss.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Simkin posted:

:siren: YOUR BIKE BESIDE THE STUPIDEST SCULPTURE IN YOUR CITY* :siren:

*can be stupid for artistic/political/geographical reasons

I present to you the very large, but not otherwise imaginative or impressive "54 Columns."

"Commissioned by fulton County Arts council, this minimalist structure by renowned artist Sol LeWitt integrates art and architecture.  The work comprised of 54 concrete pillars ranging in height from 10 to 20 feet and arranged in a triangular layout references the urban environment and atlanta’s skyline."

Boy was that fun.

Okay folks, your next challenge: :siren:Take a picture with your bike and your grade/high school sweetheart!:siren:

If the challenge is not completed by 8/27, it can be downgraded to grade/high school friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

Caveat should be something harder if you're in relationship. Like seductive poses or something else creepy.

Nah, gently caress that. If you married your high school sweetheart, rock the gently caress on. Seductive poses are worth bonus points though.

• Locked thread