Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I loved this game last year. Checking my map, the nearest tunnel is 170 miles away. Two tanks of gas for the picture. Totally worth it. Edit: it's a 1.75 lane tunnel on a heavily trafficked route. I'm not stopping in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Even my podunk town has lions outside the library.

How about :siren: in front of a radio station:siren:?

e: added another siren. I was posting from my phone, and typing colons is hard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 17, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I work a mile and a half down a dirt road at a wastewater treatment plant. I forgot the cable to my camera.

Oh well.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ghost Cactus posted:

This is true. If I wanted to get a river or stream down here, it would have to be the Rio Grande. And I don't even think it has any water in it right now.

Thanks for the photo suggestions! I'll get the Imgur or Photobucket app and hopefully use it for the next challenge I can do.

Oddly enough, the closest river or stream to me is also the Rio Grande in El Paso. Same with a zoo, I think.

I'm gonna pop off some shots and get the cops to... wait, they don't respond to gunfire this far in the sticks.

Awaiting the next challenge.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm gonna get a picture going the speed limit. BRB.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ah nuts. I forgot to post my pix when I got back. Oh well, here they are anyway.

This is up high, with the desert in bloom. Stupid trucks and stuff were crowding the rail, so I drove behind the rocks next to the Nike-Zeus. Composition isn't my strong point, and I couldn't see the snapped pic in the viewfinder because of the sun. Oh well.

I also wanted to share this shot: it may seem like a historical marker, but that lump in the middle is actually the JLENS blimp hanging out over the desert, looking at stuff. It's huge. It's (estimated) 25 miles away in that shot.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Here's the San Andres National Wildlife Refuge headquarters. That little windmill and a half-dozen panels on their carport power that building. They got an award from Obama for "most money saved by a field office" recently.

They've also got solar-powered LED parking lot lights that are pretty cool.

How about :siren:your bike in front of government property:siren:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Oh wow. I hit a mouse going to work yesterday, but didn't get a pic because I thought this was gonna be a no-contest 4-hour response. I may meander the backroads for a bit. I'll stop for a skunk.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Posting from phone on bike in suicide lane.

e: back home. That wasn't too bad.

:siren:Your bike at a waterpark/pool:siren:

It's over 90 here today, and all the pools are packed.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 20, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Safety Dance posted:

If you can find any little signs talking about something that's going to happen in the future, that could be interesting too.

There are signs around here that say "gusty winds may exist." So that's something that may or may not be happening from the past towards the future, if, in fact, at all. Most existential signs ever.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, here in the desert, the only way to get a lake is to build one. You dig a pit, then build a wall across it. This is the closest I could get to Percha Dam. It's just down the river from Elephant Butte Dam, to which approximately 5% of the state is travelling for Memorial Day Weekend.

In the spirit of making big holes, here's a Thor missile.

Because I almost hit a goat, your next challenge is
:siren:Your bike very near a domestic animal weighing more than 110lbs:siren:

I guess you could find a really big dog, but I'm hoping for farm animals. The more bizarre, the better. If anyone can get close to a domesticated moose or bison, I think they'd win.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 26, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I edited my post for the new challenge.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

I forgot the 'close' part...

I withheld making a new challenge cause i don't think i was 'very near'.

I was aiming for something like "huge goat nuzzling bike" and stuff. This is much closer than "hay those dots are cows," but cow-on-a-leash would have been perfect. It's still very early in the weekend. If there's no movement by tomorrow noon, you win.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Day Man posted:

You aren't wearing the second helmet. :colbert:

But all we see sticking out of the first one is a pedo stache. That's gotta be worth something.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Here is the beautiful Rio Grande. Irrigation season, so there's water. The river is matbe 3 feet deep here. The lady in the white van is doing her laundry.

:siren:your bike next to the same model, half its age:siren:

If you have an '02 bandit, that'd be next to an '07. If your bike was discontinued, its successor. If that's not possible, go for twice its age.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 1, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mao posted:

My 2000 TT600 next to a Daytona 675, the bike Triumph replaced my TT with after their factory burned down and they revamped their line. Can't be certain the year...

Anyway.... If this counts...

I'm not so sure about this one. If it's a first model year, maybe. Could you look at the manufacture info on the headstock? I did want a kinda tricky challenge, but now that it's prime riding season, there should be bikes all over, and it should give a good reason to go out and find some.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

Well if were going to be picky that harley earlier was /not/ wicked.

(don't be picky ffs... look at the headstock? seriously?)

Fine I won't be picky. But I can see the sticker on the headstock in his picture of the bike. Walk up to it, look at it, know.

I'll go ride down to the international border again and get a huge "WELCOME TO THE USA" shot and post it again, more pedantically :)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The International Space Hall of Fame. Three story gold faced glass. They've got a lunar lander on the second floor.

:siren:your bike in or very near sand:siren:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Captain Apollo posted:

You're in Alamogordo? I'm closer but far from there!

Working nearby. Whereabouts are you?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Detroit117 posted:

My Honda is back :)

:siren: Get your bike wet: wash it and take a photo when its covered in soapy water :siren:

(Bonus points if you get your friend/girlfriend/wife to do it)

Woah. I've got like four months until my annual cleaning. I wonder if there are some cheerleaders doing fundraising.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

War Eagles Air Museum. That's a Tupolev TU-2 out front. This is the only shot that came out. It was pretty dark inside and they didn't want flash photography.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Looking at the cars parked outside right now and their arrangements, this picture was taken in the last four days. The SV650 (not shown) is in the same spot, parked in the same orientation, and I know it was next to my bike on Wednesday.

You can tell we're not snowbound here, either, but 30F doesn't mean snow when the dewpoint is -6F and the closest moisture is at 12,000 feet.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Photos in a carpark it is. The carpool dropped me off at 0200. I geared up, and tried to leave. My rear wheel was on that patch of sand. Bike went straight over. Broke off the clutch lever and shifter. I made it home without stopping, because I ran a couple of red lights. It was 3am, ok?

:siren:your bike next to something out of season:siren: I passed some campaign signs and a house with Christmas lights still up.

edit: Thankfully, the image didn't attach.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 22, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

epalm posted:

How did you make it anywhere with no clutch lever and no shifter :colbert:

I had my work tools, so I got the bike into 1st with a pair of pliers while the bike was off. I disabled the clutch switch and roll-started the bike, then just stalled it out once I got home. 1st was loud and annoying, but I can get up to like 65, so it wasn't necessarily an issue for the couple of miles back to the house.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Great. I'm 4500 miles from my bike right now, but I used to climb 1000' every day on the way to work. Depending on ice and some other stuff, I could probably have gotten 5000' with a couple hours' trip. Now I'm in a country with WONDERFUL roads and am specifically prohibited (on threat of deportation) from operating any motor vehicle.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mao posted:

There is a story behind this that I would be fascinated to hear. The deportation part anyway.

Basically this: the people that sent me here didn't pay for an international driver license. The "international driver license" you can get in the states is shady. They only send people here for a month, two tops. Therefore, we cannot really get a license to drive anything, at all, in any legal manner. So if we're caught with something, we're on (literally) the next flight back. It's not governmental deportation by the Japanese, but there's no practical difference.

It's bad enough that if we're suspected of not obeying these rules, they'll call the local PD and have us back-tracked from the apartment for a few hours to see if we dropped a bike/scooter off at the rental place before walking home. It's that serious. A mild traffic ding nearly turned into an international incident because the stupid gaijin didn't understand "gomen-nasai money" and my supervisor ended up having to bail someone out of Japanese jail after the visit from the embassy. So there's way, way, way less than zero tolerance for the next few months.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ech fine. I'll get one tonight. There's dust and low overcast, should be pretty spectacular.

I could have gotten a great sunset AND sunrise, but was in my wife's stupid car buying groceries.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

Beautiful day to ride today. Of course that means an incomplete challenge.

Yup. When it was "post a sunset," there were 40mph winds and dust limiting visibilty to 400 yards. Now it's "inclement weather" and it's gorgeous. I think our next bad weather is scheduled for mid-May. Maybe June.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, we didn't get any bad weather, but someone a couple states over ordered some, and had it shipped express.

Behold 50mph winds.

KHMN 132015Z AUTO 26028G36KT 1SM HZ SCT003 25/M05 A2976 RMK AO2 T02491049
That's airport talk for 30 gusting to 40, 1 mile visibility, 300ft vertical visibility. It was down to 1/2 mile for a while.

:siren:Your bike at a 5(or more)-way intersection:siren:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wootcannon posted:

Hmm. Would it count if 2 of the 5 ways were now pedestrianised?

Absolutely. Pedestrianized means supermoto parking.

I know roads departments all over have been working hard to get rid of these. There's a six-way here that flooded recently; when they fixed the drainage below, they deleted two of the streets, making the whole area boring.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

Well that wasn't too difficult at all! Good job. Closest national park for me is about an hour ride and I won't be doing that during the work week, so I'll have to be out of this one I think :(

My nearest National Park is three hours away. I've got three National Monuments, two National Memorials, three National Historic Trails, five National Wildife Refuges, and a stack of National Forests and National Recreation Areas in that distance, though. Thank you nps.gov.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok. So I'm off to Elephant Butte tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

UnkleBoB posted:

If it's not completed by Sunday, I should have some good pictures.

Yeah, sorry. Other stuff came up and I've been going the other way in the state for the last couple of days. Probably won't get to it by Sunday, unfortunately. I don't have anything amusing, unless you can't pronounce Spanish.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

There's been a train at a siding by my house for nearly a month. I head out to get pix, and of course it's moved. Rode around a bit, didn't find any other stock, unfortunately.

I tried, though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I went to the lake, but it was closed. Frozen yogurt shop, instead.

:siren:your bike at a shop specializiing in your region's food:siren:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Awesome. There was an In-n-out burger by my apartment in SoCal. Someone had shot out the "B" and the "R" at some point, so at night, the sign lit up to say "IN-N-OUT URGE ".

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Akion posted:

Does gum count?.

:siren:YOUR BIKE ON TOP OF A DAM :siren:

You better make it yourself, DHS has closed down every dam within a thousand miles of me, sometimes going so far as to close the road LEADING to the dam. I'll see if I can't find a levee or some other flood control device that looks similar.

There went all my crazy plans of poisoning the water supply.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

Where do you live?

There's one fairly close to me you can drive over.

North Carolina. I found a reservoir wall that looks like it'll count. Only about an hour away. I'll be close to that direction tomorrow AM; we'll see what happens.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I found a dam. It was raining, and to get on top of it, I would have needed something with dirt tires. So here's the closest point where stopping isn't illegal.

The sheriff still came by to ask what I was doing. Of course, I was taking pictures of geese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tomorrow I'll go out and get a "bee crossing" and "raptor crossing" on the way. However, I think the blind crossing should count.

• Locked thread