Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The Elf snorts when Lo'el mentions his sling. "I wouldn't rely on that as a ranged weapon against armored opponents. You any good with that thing, or have you just taken down game?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

His long, doe-like ears droop slightly as the lady elf speaks to him. He imagined that his words did sound quite foolish to these professionals when it came to combat. "Well, if I'm to be terribly honest, I've only ever had experience at taking down game and a few of the wilder beasts that roamed too close to the herd. I'm a good enough shot to hit my mark, but I'm afraid that I am not all too familiar with how to fight an armoured attacker. Having no other weapon to fire from a distance though, I assume it would be at least worth having some stones if our attackers should decide against wearing a helmet."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"A sling is a waste of time for hunting men. I think you'd do better with the spear, or guarding ranged. Spear has reach." Shrugging, Isit checks her bow, making sure it is strung right. "But do as you will."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"I shall take your advice to heart then my lady." he says genuinely. "After all, I am sure you have far more experience in these matters then I do. Perhaps I shall leave the sling for game hunting and invest some free time in the use of a bow. Also, when time permits, I would be blessed to hear tales of your exploits and share the songs of our people."

He admired the weapon in the fair elf's hands as they walked. Countless tales had filled him with awe of the deadly accuracy most elves could achieve with them, and soon he would be able to witness these skills first hand. His tail begins to sway all the more as he walks. Marching with such courageous people to defend the innocent from vicious bandits. He doubted anyone back in the herd would believe this.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette regarded the faun with a shrug. "Seems the two of us will but learn as we go," she offered. "Though it's reassuring to see some of us downright comfy with the challenge at hand.

"Let's ride." 'Fore the nerve quits, she added internally.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec walked in front of the conversation with Martin listening in on this conversation. "I think that I will keep my spear for this battle, you will be able to maybe pierce their hide, and I will try to either take them off the animal, or kill the animal. I think though that once they are down, they will be no trouble. I take it this is your first battle then, Lor' El and Lette?"

Alec thought more on how the battle will go, he had a suspicion that the battle would not be a cut and dry as he said, in fact he was worried the two unblooded warriors would break, or even worse, freeze.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"My Da and I once turned wolves off a neighbor's stray lamb," she says, sounding somewhat more assured than a moment ago. "Mayhap the gist of this ain't much different, at bottom."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 16, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec smiles to the young woman and nods "Then after tonight you will be a warrior then, hunting game or the wolf is very different. You will see, just harden your heart and push forward and you both will sing the songs of glory and celebrate your first blooding." The first battle is always the worst, and most terrible for any warrior, Alec thought to add. He stayed his tongue knowing better than to break spirits before a fight.

Alec made a mental note that he would have to use his money to give a proper celebration for their blooding.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 16, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Yeah, wolves don't cry or beg as much. Very different. Don't get me wrong, they'd slit your neck if they had the upper hand. So don't give them quarter unless they drop weapons."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
"Good to hear," Capt. Dirksen tosses behind him, forging downstairs. "Watch house is just across the way, we'll pull the mail coach out in front. Come on-" He turns abruptly, pushing through a side door and headlong into the street. There's a little brief resistance from the crowd, but as the captain's face gets recognized the crowd pulls away from him to give him respectful space and pass him through. Using the quarter-orc's bulk as an icebreaker to plow through, the six are able to make it across the way. The guardhouse is in a medium-high state of chaos, but the guardsmen all quickly stand to attention and salute their captain past; just as quickly they return to what they're doing the instant Capt. Dirksen returns their salute.

The room Dirksen leads them to is cramped, but a veritable arsenal of metal in various sharp and dull forms. Mass-forged shortswords line one wall, nothing special but all kept in good repair- truncheons along another, with slightly shiny and dented breastplates and helmets on racks on a third. The room smells powerfully of polish and sweat, light coming from a single lantern hung from the ceiling and casting shadows in the buttery light.

"Your gear's more safe here than anywhere in the city," the quarter-orc begins, giving Alec a head-to-toe look of calm assessment. "You can leave it here until you return- guards don't go through other guards' things, and nobody'll know it's not exactly another guard's in the time you'll be gone." Taking one of the swords for himself, Dirksen jams it into the empty scabbard at his side. "You- Lo'el, right?" Despite having only heard the barbarian's slight mispronunciation of the faun's name, Dirksen gets it right first go without a hitch. "As soon as he saw, our eye in the sky came down to sound the alarm. It's a pretty fresh sighting, but obviously we're losing minutes. GUDJOHNSEN!" He bellows suddenly, and after a few seconds a gangly redhead in ill-fitting armor skids into the doorway and salutes.

"Faun needs sling stones. Don't have any in station, not usually a guard's weapon, but I seem to recall the construction sites don't have any shortage of reject stone chips that might do. Run down to the northgate and tell them to get a small basket ready, you know what size, and we'll pick it up on the way. Move out, corporal!"

"Sir, yessir!" The young guard salutes again and turns on one heel, moving quickly through the hallways and out of sight.

"Good kid. He'll make officer if he lives through the next year." Dirksen notes absently. "You'll have something you can use, Lo'el, but it might not be perfect. Coach out front in two minutes, I'll roust a sergeant and a detail to ride with you- meet us out front."

A few hurried minutes later, a lean coach with two fast, healthy-looking horses is in fact waiting outside, sides painted in the crisp blue eagle-and-sword livery of the town. A couple watchmen are clambering aboard, with Dirksen watching with folded arms- from the notification that something had gone wrong, the entire operation had evidently been planned and executed within under five minutes without any serious bureaucratic impediments.

"I'll put together a second patrol," Dirksen half-shouts over the noise, "On horseback, but it'll take a few minutes to get them ready. You'll be first on the scene, and if there's any violence you'll be on point. My men know their business, don't worry about them and they'll be helping watch your backs but they learned their business in crowds and alleys instead of plains. Round's on me for lunch if it goes well!"

With that, the guard captain gives a loud, powerful thump on the thin wooden rear of the wagon, spurring the driver to take up the reins. Going is necessarily slow, though the crowds seem to be trying to give the sleek wagon as much of a berth as is physically possible in the cramped confines; as the wagon finally reaches the edge of the walls, a flushed and sweating red-headed corporal heaves a large bag of good granite stones (albeit none with an ideally sharp point) into the wagon as it passes without even slowing. A few seconds later, with the guards at the gate holding merchant traffic, and the mail coach makes it into open country- and speeds up, with the thin dust cloud of horses visible from ground level.

Only now, despite the physical pace quickening, is there a minute for the people in the cart to catch their breath. A few minutes to where the carts should be, given how fast such things often went and how far the wizard had said they were. The mail coach isn't a very promising platform to fight a war; with ten people and a driver crammed inside there's bare room to maneuver, and no convenient openings to fire from save the back and over the driver's shoulder at front. Worse yet, the wooden siding was never meant as serious armor, and there's little to no protection of either the horses or the somewhat exposed driver. But it is unholy fast.

Sped through a fair bit there since I didn't want much to bog down, but here's what any of you could take if you wished (all stuff from Characters)

-Shortsword
-Baton
-Legionary Helmet
-Steel Breastplate

In addition, Lo'el has a bag of sling stones, but they're not very sharp at all; they'll deal 1 less damage than usual on a hit. This would be the time to do any planning!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan listened quietly as the others spoke, noting the tone from the faun and the lass. Neither of them sounded particularly bred for combat, nor experienced. The Northman, the elf, and the noble, on the other hand, could probably handle themselves. He hadn't heard the noble give any advice, nor much anything other than his views on charity, but the way he carried himself and his blade gave him away. He knew how to use that weapon. Likely the other two would need protection. Hopefully he could provide it.

Once outside and in the carriage, Dolan sets down and pulls his logbook from off of his belt and leafs through some pages, muttering to himself. "I'll try to slow them down a bit. Throw some chaos into their charge."

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 16, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Grunting, Isit armors up and checks her weapons. The others get a serious look, and she stares each in the eyes for a second. That's what Donnel had done when he was her Sargent. Seemed to work. "Listen, me and Lette can provide ranged support once we get behind cover. We'll take any archers first. If they aren't there, we get big guys. Goes without saying magic users die fast as they can. People who can use spears, use them, they got reach. Otherwise swords." Frowning, she glances at the dwarf. "You, is that staff for decor, or can you do some loving magic? Never had a wizard in my unit, so I don't know tactics for that sort of thing." Tapping the side of her head, she smiles, briefly. "Just basic military tricks, nothing fancy."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Runepriest, not a wizard," Dolan says, and nearly spits before he remembers the close confines. "Same bloody thing as far as you'd be concerned, though." He turns the page again, and smiles. Yes, that will likely do. "Only some of my magic is fit for combat. The staff makes a bloody fine conventional weapon though."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette wastes no time availing herself of the proffered goods, leaving her jacket and pack behind at the station. She loads into the cart, nodding at Isit's suggestions. They sound sensible enough.

pre:
Temporary inventory:

Lyre, small, $100, 5 lbs.

Spear, $40, 4 lbs
Bow, short, $50, 2 lbs
  Hip Quiver, $15, 1 lb
    15 arrows, $30, 1.5 lbs
Knife, large, $40, 1 lb

Cloth cap, $5, 1 DR (skull) (layered, no penalty)
Legionary Helmet, --, 6 lbs, 4 DR (skull, face) (layered, no penalty)
Steel Breastplate, --, 18 lbs, 5F DR (torso)
Studded leather skirt, $60, 4 lbs. 3/2* DR (groin, legs)
Boots, $80, 3 lbs, 2 DR (feet)

Total encumbrance: 44.5 lbs (light)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

The would-have-been Baron listens to Isit, nodding. "I've a bow as well, if it comes to it. We'll probably need a better look at them before we can really decide how it should go. One way or another we'll want to unhorse them, though, and quickly."

Turning his head to look at Dolan, he hesitates for a second, mouth opening without forming words for that brief moment in time. Then, he finds the words and continues. "You don't happen to be able to, ah, do anything that might be suitable for that purpose?"

As far as inventory goes, I assume Martin will have everything not marked as being in his backpack, from on the sheet. I divided everything out for a reason. :)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec nodded to the Son of Rugii and stowed his pack in the guard house. When he returned he found that conversation has turned to tactics. "I will take hold as a Spear for us," Alec lifted his spear in one hand as if it emphasize this point, "If they have missiles then I will use my shield, while you try to knock them from their horses." Alec nodded to the buckler hanging on his back. Alec personally had never seen a sling in use so he kept quiet on such things he did not know and simply prepared himself.

After getting in the fast wagon he leans back and started slowly chanting to himself very low, but declaration to his ancestors.

"Einu sinni í myrkrinu við sátum
Í ótta og skelfingu, réð okkur
Í myrkrinu við Brustu
án þess heiðurs og veik
"

As the wagon travels, he looks to Lor' El, and Lette wondering if this first battle would harden them. He starts leaning back and chanting a bit more consistently, focusing on hardening his heart and his determination.

"Þá kom Weß, vissi hann ekkert
Hann var fyrstur til að koma ljós
Ljós hans fyllti hjörtu Man
Ljós hans fyllir hjarta mitt!
"

If he would fall today, he would make sure that today, would be the day he gave a glorious showing, that Lor' El would sing songs, and that Weß himself would see and approve of his Courage.

"Eins og hann hefur aðeins þekktur hugrekki, ég veit
Eins og hann hefur brennt björt í ljósi, mun ég brenna
Finnst þér það ekki? Það fyllir þig og þannig lyftir þér
Weß sonur Cherus, leiðbeinir okkur, unfallen
"

He chanted slowly and clearly, to anyone who leaned in enough or had sharp enough hearing to hear over the din of the carriage.He repeated the verses three times under his breathe, appearing to get stronger with each iteration.

"spjót þeirra mun brjóta, henda göt
skildir þeirra mun sprunga, eru okkar veggi
sverð þeirra verður dregið, verður okkar skera
Hugrekki verður að bera okkur til sigurs
"

Alec finally looked up at the others and said simply "I am ready."

OOC: I'm taking only my combat gear, and leaving my pack, I think I will make the possibly terrible choice to be unencumbered and only ready my spear in both hands going into this, my buckler on my back and my sword on my hip. Otherwise, I might look into buying a long/short bow when we get back, I have a feeling it could be useful to keep in my pack.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 16, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Along with many of the others, Lo'el leaves his pack, as well as his quarterstaff, in the safety of the guards. When the herd hunted, it was only with the weapons and armor needed to make the kill. He attempts to place one of the helmets over his head before placing it back on the rack, realising that he would need one custom-made to avoid it simple resting on his horns. He does, however, swap his jacket with one of the impressive looking breastplates. He had never been in a fight like this before and did not want to leave anything to chance.

He now sits huddled in the swaying carriage, not all too familiar or comfortable with this method of transportation. But they needed to be quick and he doubted his legs could match the wagon's speed. He begins transferring most of the stones from the bag into his own pouch as his ears pick out the various conversations around him.

"Rune magic?" he says, perking up at the dwarf. "I have read of it, but never thought I would be blessed enough to see it for myself. I am very much looking forward to witnessing your skills firsthand Mi- ahh, Dolan." He then intently nods along with Lette as Isit hands out combat advice. From her words and fierce gaze, he could tell that she knew fully well how to handle such tasks. Hopefully he would be able to remember her advice clearly and calmly when the battle began.

Ears twitching, he turns to look at Alec as he hears the man's chant. He stares at the man until he finishes, hanging off every unfamiliar word, before giving him a broad and warm smile.

Simply taking the Spear, Pouch and Sling along. Everything else (except armor) is left behind. Also swapping the Leather Jacket for a Steel Breastplate.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Something to look at them or something to unhorse them?" Dolan asks without looking up. "The latter I can do, depending on how well their mounts are trained, and as long as they aren't already in amongst the refugees. The former..." He snaps his book shut, and lets it hang at his belt again. "I was studying some runes that could be used for that, but I can't use them reliably yet."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

"To unhorse them. We can't fight them from this cart, and it would be foolish to give them an advantage in mobility if we can help it, my friend." Nodding silently to himself, he idly strokes the bits of beard and stubble that have developed over his many days of recent travel. The journey had been a surprisingly quiet one, and he was almost pleased that there was a little excitement on its way. Adrenaline was better than tea.

"Hm, yes...there's that, and the height advantage too, when the enemy is on horseback. It's very...annoying to deal with." Perhaps a telling choice of words, that one, as though he'd run into this problem enough times already in his time. "With a sword, all most people can reliably hit is the legs - or the horse. Whereas they can hit you anywhere above the waist without even trying. No, we definitely need to knock them down before we can get to work."

Martin taps his nose, looking off into space, as if still trying to think, but he his momentarily distracted by the Northerner's chanting. Well, there was no harm in that, he supposed. Everyone prepares for danger differently.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

As the mail wagon rounds one last bend, dust plumes coming ever closer, a key misinterpretation by the airborne wizard becomes abruptly clear. He hadn't seen a small group of men on horseback chasing the wagons.

He'd seen a small group of centaurs. Four of which are holding longbows with swords strapped onto their back, four of which are holding two yard long spears, and all of which are clad both human and horse halves with a mixture of leather and chainmail. The two wagons have stopped in the side of the road; the centaurs have caught up to them, and put themselves in a broad circle around the pair of wagons. As the mail wagon rattles closer, and then to a stop as the driver makes some rapid calculations about the wisdom of trying to overrun a centaur with a very long spear while being unprotected out front and then throws himself flat on the floor of the cart as it drifts to a halt twelve yards in front of the first of the halted wagons.

"They're here!" One of the centaurs to the rear of the pack bawls. "Remember, no bonuses for corpses, we want them alive!"

"Damned centaurs." The watch sergeant mutters, not a little nervously. "Bastards have four archers. Just have to keep them from taking any prisoners before backup arrives..."

OKAY IT IS COMBAT TIME HELLO HOW ARE YOU.

First of all, what I want in your combat statblocks. Not gonna enforce a format, but every combat round it will make my life easier if you include:

ST, DX, IQ, HT;
HP (remaining/total), FP (remaining/total), Will, Per, Basic Speed, Basic Move
Relevant combat advantages/disadvantages (Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, One Arm, etc)
Weapons: Both your base skill (I will figure all the modifiers for range and suchlike, don't worry) and the damage it should deal
Armor: What's your DR for all hit locations?
Active Defenses: What do you want to use and what active defenses you can use are?

So, something like this:
pre:
Sergeant Joyner
ST-12, DX-12, IQ-10, HT-11
HP 12/12, FP 11/11, Will-10, Per-11, BS-5.75, BM-5
No advantages
Weapons: Shortsword-13 (readied), 1d-1 imp/1d+2 cut; Baton-14, 1d+2 cr
Armor: DR 5 torso (front); DR 2 torso (rear)/groin/arms/legs/feet, DR 4 face/head
Active Defenses: Parry-9 (preferred), Dodge-8
would be awesome and cut down the time it takes to write an update in half or more. Once you make it once, just keep it in the same text file as your sheet and paste it in every round, keeping it updated when you spend CP or get hurt, and it won't be as painful as you think.

Remember: 24 hour rule is in effect, after ~8 AM pacific tomorrow I could pick an action for you and update at any time. Judge for yourself the likelihood that I'll be awake that early. If everyone is in sooner, and I can, I will update sooner and we will all be happy!

CURRENT MAP (linked for huge) HERE

About the current map- the light tan is planted cornfields, and will not be so easy to move through quickly and will partly block vision; gray and brown are stone road/hard-packed dirt, and both are normal open terrain. Each hex is about a yard, and you can move up to your basic move yards per turn- but if you move more than one hex and attack in a single one-second turn you'll take penalties on the attack. You can, to start with, get out either the rear or front of the mail wagon without difficulty, and the wagon will act as some cover against archers. I am going to assume everyone readied/loaded their weapons however they liked before combat started. The blue g are guards, the blue d is a terrified driver; the big red C are centaur spearmen, big red A centaur archers. Hopefully you can all figure which token is you out, given that I had to take Creative Liberties to pick images for half of you. :v:

Initiative is in order of your basic speeds:

Lo'el 6.5
Alec 6.25
Isit 6.25
Martin 6.0
Lette 6.0
Centaur Archers 1-4 6.0
Dolan 5.75
Guards 1-4 5.75
Centaur Spearmen 1-2 5.5

Don't feel constrained to post in that order, please god; Gus, you're the only one moving after an NPC, so if you wanna put in some conditionals I will heed them come the hour.

If there are other questions either about this setup or GURPS combat in general, I should be around in the late afternoon/evening!

edit oh yeah: Axe-man, you critted a perception roll: The driver of the lead refugee wagon is already dead, but positioned so that he looks alive to a casual glance; he has no visible wounds.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 17, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"poo poo," Dolan mutters, as if commenting on the rain. "Blood and poo poo. I can't bloody well unhorse that. Yet," he adds. "Have to improvise. At least we know they aren't here to kill the refugees, thanks to one with a quick tongue."

Standing, Dolan plants his staff as he faces towards the centaurs. He quickly takes on Elf Crosses Your Path, one of the first combat stances he learned, one that keeps you facing towards your foe and seemingly unexpecting of combat, but ready to react from all sides, or hit the ground if need be. "Raiders!" he calls. "These refugees are under the protection of Lord Roland of Noah, and these be his lands. Drop your plunder and walk away, and we can forget this ever happened."

pre:
Diplomacy 11

ST:10 DX:12 IQ:12 HT:11 SM:-1
HP:10/10 FP:12/12 Will:12 Per:12 Speed:5.75 Move:4
Combat reflexes, Night Vision 5, Weapon Master
Rune Staff: Skill 14, d+4 crushing
Armor: DR 2 across the board, hands and feet flexible
Defense: Dodge 9 (dodge and drop, all out)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"This is a Ambush! The driver of that wagon is dead! There are no refugees left, to Vengeance! Let us go valiantly and slay these honor-less Dågons!" Alec waves his spear and starts yelling at the centaurs "Try to slay someone who can fight back you worthless oxen!"

move then All Out Defense(dodge), he is also trying to get an idea if there are more in the wagon or not.

code:
Alec Cherusci					
ST-12	DX-13	IQ-10	HT-12		
HP-12/12  FP-15/15   Will-10  Per-10  BS-6.25 BM-6
Advantages:Fit	High Pain Tolerance Combat Reflexes		
Weapons:Spear-14	readied (2h)	1D+1/ 1D+2 (2hand) imp	
	Broadsword-14	in scabbard	1D+3 cut/ 1D cr		
	Buckler	        on back 	1D-1 cr	
Armor:	Torso: DR 4/2 cr,Skull/Face: DR: 2,Hands: DR:2,Feet: DR:2 
Active Defenses:Dodge-10(12)+ 2 AOD(acrobatic dodge + dodge against missiles/charges (acrobatics 13)), Parry-11[14][retreat-parry against melee attacks], Block-11

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 18, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Dead!?" The shock is quite apparent on his face. If this was true then the centaur's words now made a lot more sense. But these details would have to be worried over later, for now there was nothing to do but fight. "Ambush or not, we still have no choice but to fight them off! Let's go!"

With that said, the faun makes his way through the wagon before jumping from the rear onto the road below, hooves making a dull *clomp* as he lands on the stone ground. He takes one last deep breath to calm his nerves before tightening the grip on his spear.

Moving out of the wagon to the hex SW of Martin's current posistion, then All out defence (dodge); watching their movement and any arrows.

Lo'el
ST-11, DX-12, IQ-12, HT-13
HP 12/12, FP 14/14, Will-12, Per-13, BS-6.5, BM-6
Acute Hearing (2)
Weapons: Spear-13 (readied & 2H), 1d+2 imp,thr +3; Sling-12, 1d+1 pi
Armor: DR 5 torso (front); DR 0 torso (rear)/groin/arms/legs/feet, DR 0 face/head
Active Defenses: Parry-9, Dodge-11 (preferred)

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

What may have been respectful politeness drops off the dwarf's face when the Northman speaks. It is replaced with bald-faced contempt. Dropping down, and with uncanny speed, he begins to Draw with the tip of his staff. A single rune carved into the wood of the wagon. As soon as it is done, it is gone, Channeled into Dolan's hand. Standing again, he looks towards the centaurs with a rather large chunk of rock in his hand.

pre:
Casting Stone Missile for 2 FP, then beginning to aim at A2.
Since I can't technically begin to aim this round, that target might change.
Stone Missile 13
Mental Strength 14 not to lose my aim if I get shot at

HP:10/10 FP:10/12 Will:12 Per:12 Speed:5.75 Move:4
Stone Missile: Skill 13, 2d+2 crushing, Acc 2, 1/2D 40
Defense: Dodge 9

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Well this is a nice surprise." Martin hops out of the cart to the left, readying himself and waiting to see what the ambushers elect to do first...but that didn't mean he couldn't chatter. "Well met there, friends. You've startled us a bit, but there's no need to do battle today. Let's see if we can't work out some sort of agreement, hm?"

Move one hex northwest, and then all-out defense (dodge) to help defend against incoming fire for now. For my little proposal, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk and Public Speaking are all at 11 with an additional +2 from Voice, if it applies here.

stat block posted:

ST: 12 DX: 14 IQ: 11 HT: 10
HP: 12/12 FP: 10/10 WILL: 11 PER: 11 Speed: 6 Move: 6
Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Enhanced Parry/Rapier, Rapier Wit, Weapon Master
Weapons: Jian, fine (readied), large knife, shortbow (10 arrows)
Jian damage: skill 16, thr 1d+3, sw 2d+1
Knife damage: skill 14, thr 1d, sw 1d
Bow damage: skill 13, thr 1d-1
Shield: Cloak, Heavy (readied)
Armor: DR2 torso/hands/arms/feet
Defenses: Parry 13 (preferred vs. melee, retreating parry when possible), Block 11, Dodge 10 (preferred vs. ranged); +2 to all against arcs where cloak applies

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 17, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette tried to slow her breathing. This was it. The moment of truth. Arrow nocked.

Her companions seemed to be trying to give diplomacy a shot. That was also acceptable to her, though it put her in the rather awkward position of perhaps being the first in the position to aggress. For all that she finally convinced herself to go whole hog on this, there can only be so many hogs at once — one, really.

Lette took aim. If their words worked, fine. If not, maybe she wouldn't miss her mark by so very much.

Crouching behind the cart wall as part of an Aim action (short bow Acc 1) directed at A2.

ST-11, DX-11, IQ-12, HT-12
HP 11/11, FP 12/12, Will-12, Per-13, BS-6.00, BM-6
Adv: Fit, Wild Talent 2/2
Weap: Shortbow-13 (readied), 1d-1 imp; Spear-12, 1d+2 imp; knife-13, 1d-1 imp/cut;
Armor: DR 5 torso (front); DR 3/2* groin/legs, DR 2 feet, DR 4 face, DR 5 head;
Active Defenses: Dodge-9 (preferred); Knife/Spear parry 9
15 arrows

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The others were trying to negotiate and gods bless them for that, but the northman called ambush, and that was that. More talking and the centaurs would have the drop on them. She decided to take the ambiguity out of the situation. Pulling the arrow back, the elf ducks down, trying to get some cover. The archer would do for a first kill. Pulling back the bow Isit whispers to Lette. "Fire."

ST-12, DX-13, IQ-12, HT-12
HP 12/12, FP 12/21, Will-12, Per-13, BS-6.25, BM-6
Combat Reflexes, Ambidextrous, Heroic Archer, Imbue 2
Weapons: Bow 13, Composite Bow (readied) 1d+2 imp
Shortsword 13 Shortsword 1d+2 cut
Large Knife(fine) 1d-2 cut
Armor: DR 2 torso (front); groin 2; arms 2; legs 2; feet 2; face/head 2; hands 2
Active Defenses: Dodge-9 (preferred), Parry 8
Gear; hip quiver, leather armor, bow, knife, sword, leather boots, leather gloves
Fast Draw arrow/knife 14

Crouching behind the cart, aiming and using Guided Arrow Imbuement (12) to aim for exposed vital on A2 preferably neck.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

NC if you are about can you pop onto the chat? I am kind of (very) confused about exactly what you're trying to do, and I'm parsing it this way:

Move and attack maneuver; Move (drop to crouch, move three hexes SW) and then spend an FP to fire the imbuement off (12 target) and fire a shot off (move and attack, so no Acc bonus from heroic archer but no bulk penalty either) at a target number of either 9 (13 skill - 5 (neck) + 1 SM) or 3 (same, but with a -6 range penalty)). Have I got it right? :ohdear:

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette hears the word. Resigned to follow the methods of a more experienced hand, she adjusts her course accordingly.

AOA for +1 that I AM NO LONGER GETTING FROM AIMING

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
I don't have my book, so I'm pretty confused too. Not entirely sure how guided arrow works, lets just say move, guided arrow, and then worry about cover.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The former nobleman calls out for parlay, but the archer closest the group- after cocking his head for a second as if considering it- shakes his head. "You can parlay with the queen, buddy. Spearmen forward! Victor formation! You know the drill, fillies, let's move!" The centaurs begin to drift backward and forward, seeming to come close to forming a rough line of archers in the center with the two spearmen galloping forward and out to make a pair of exposed forward points on the flanks of the line. Standard army formation for a centaur cavalry unit.

The archers start off festivities, and Lette and Isit both fire arrows from the safety and comfort of the cart at the nearest enemy archer. The elf's arrow flies just wide, thudding into the wagon's side- the human's hits dead center on the centaur's chest, but only after a lazily looping flight that took it in far too high an arc and spilled so much of its energy that it barely penetrated. Behind them, the more melee-oriented heroes pile out of the wagon to clear the field for the mage and archers; Dolan starts trying to cast, but the whinny of the horses just in front of him startles the concentration right out of his head and a half-formed spell dissipates harmlessly.

The horses are whinnying for a very good reason. The centaurs lowered their arrows and let loose a volley of fire directly into the beasts responsible for the heroes coming to the "rescue" so quickly, and not incidentally the beasts that would have been responsible for carrying them away just as quickly. Three of four arrows strike deep in both of the draft horses pulling the cart, all three finding deep, deep marks in the horses' chests that draw a river of dark blood each and a loud shriek of animal agony. The horses don't take off yet- they're rearing on their hind legs and whinnying in a panic, though, and can't be far from it. "Sir! Horses on the horizon- two minutes, we have to be gone!" one of the spearmen shouts.

"Surrender and this doesn't have to end in blood!" the archer whose armor just turned Lette's bolt aside calls.

Not the luckiest of opening rounds.

Lo'el moves and all out dodges
Alec moves and all out dodges
Isit performs a move and attack; crouches and moves 3 hexes SW, then spends 1 FP to trigger her Imbuement (result: 5, success) and then fires her arrow (target: 13 (skill) - 5 (targeting neck) + 1 (target SM) = 9, result: 12, miss. -1 FP
Martin moves and all out defends; Diplomacy roll is working under a -5 penalty for the centaurs already being <REDACTED>, so his target is an 8; roll is 9, failure.
Lette fires an arrow, all out (target: 13 (skill) - 5 (range: 13 yards) + 1 (SM) + 1 (all out attack) = 9), result: 5, HIT. Dodge attempt from A2 is (target: 8) result: 15, no dodge. Random hit location roll is a 11, torso. Damage roll is a 2, leather DR is a 2- no damage to the centaur. Lette is crouching.
Centaur Archer 1 fires unaimed at Horse #1 drawing the mail wagon. Target is (<REDACTED>) 10; result is 11, miss, archer takes a step forward.
Centaur Archer 2 takes a step back and fires unaimed at Horse #1. Target is again 10, roll 7 for a hit, horse fails to dodge, horse takes 8 damage...
Centaur Archer 3 fires at Horse #2 and steps forward. Target is 9; hit, failed dodge, Horse #2 takes 18 damage. Still upright, but terrified and will likely bolt next turn.
Centaur Archer 4 move-and-attacks at Horse #1, target is 8; hit and failed dodge, Horse #1 takes another 16 damage. Somehow it stays upright and conscious, but will for drat sure bolt wildly and probably pass out very soon.
Dolan attempts to cast Stone Missile and rolls a 15; fails.
Guard 1 dives out of the soon to be uncontrolled cart and doesn't get in front of it!
Guards 2-4 repeat this!
Centaur Spearman 1 and 2 reposition themselves!
Driver cowers in utter terror!
Horses get over their utter shock at turning into equine pincushions and rear in terror!

Map Here!

Turn order remains the same as last time. I won't be doing full breakdowns with targets and modifiers every time, but I figured it might help the new people a little.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

The girl gasps when she realizes the archers' intent.

Almost reflexively, she scoots over, leans forward and does everything she can to comfort the horses. She clicks her tongue, speaks in soothing tones and pats their flanks reassuringly. "Be still, it's alright. It's not serious. Let's get you away from this, yes?"

In a much more serious and sharp tone, she addresses the driver: "Come, help me. We must steady them and turn the cart around."

Going to do that: calm the horses, then get this cart moved to someplace less dangerous. Turning it around at the very least, but then maybe also put a little distance down. Just enough to make the horses unappealing targets.

Animal Handling (Eqine) 12, -5 for panicked animals. Due to talents, my Teamster default is 10. Will work cooperatively with the driver if it will help the odds of success.

ST-11, DX-11, IQ-12, HT-12
HP 11/11, FP 12/12, Will-12, Per-13, BS-6.00, BM-6
Adv: Fit, Wild Talent 2/2
Weap: Shortbow-13 (readied), 1d-1 imp; Spear-12, 1d+2 imp; knife-13, 1d-1 imp/cut;
Armor: DR 5 torso (front); DR 3/2* groin/legs, DR 2 feet, DR 4 face, DR 5 head;
Active Defenses: Dodge-9 (preferred); Knife/Spear parry 9
14 arrows

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec laughs and smiles waving to the others "Come Come, don't be hesitant! It is a good day to fight! We can stay and fight them all!" Alec looks to one of the beasts in front of him "You with the spear! If you wish to act a as a warrior I challenge you to honorable combat, come forth and meet me. I am Alec Cherusci, son of Cherus, Warrior of Cheruscisten, I challenge you to a duel with swords. I am a blooded warrior, do you Dågon have the honor to accept?" Alec moves forward tentatively, wary that these beasts would prove to be dishonorable to a warrior as they are to farmers.

move going to do a repeat of last turn, not sure how the horses are going to react, moving forward going all out defense(dodge)

code:
Alec Cherusci					
ST-12	DX-13	IQ-10	HT-12		
Active Defenses:Dodge-10(14)+ 2 AOD(Feverish Defense + acrobatic dodge + dodge against missiles/charges (acrobatics 13)) (-1 Fp)
                Parry-11[14][retreat-parry against melee attacks], Block-11

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 18, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The cart lurches as one of the horses rears, turning the final and crucial mark on Ylem into, well, that rune doesn't actually exist. With more muttered curses, he hastens out the rear of the cart. He'd never been trained to fight centaurs. This could be interesting.

pre:
Will take a full move action to get out of the cart

HP:10/10 FP:10/12 Will:12 Per:12 Speed:5.75 Move:4
Stone Missile: Skill 13, 2d+2 crushing, Acc 2, 1/2D 40
Defense: Dodge 9, parry 13 in melee

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The shock of the sudden attack on the horses turns his face to one of abject horror. First innocent men and now the slaughtering of docile creatures. Was there no low that these horse-men would not stoop to?

He fixes his gaze on the spear-wielding savage ahead of him as he continues his steady advance, keeping his eyes sharp and reflexes ready for any stray arrows or feeing horses that might come near.

Second verse, same as the first. Moving north by three and then: All out defence (dodge)

Lo'el
ST-11, DX-12, IQ-12, HT-13
HP 12/12, FP 14/14, Will-12, Per-13, BS-6.5, BM-6
Acute Hearing (2)
Weapons: Spear-13 (readied & 2H), 1d+2 imp,thr +3; Sling-12, 1d+1 pi
Armor: DR 5 torso (front); DR 0 torso (rear)/groin/arms/legs/feet, DR 0 face/head
Active Defences: Parry-9, Dodge-11 (preferred)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"At least they can't say we never gave them a chance." Cloak out in front, Martin begins a slow advance towards the nearest of the marauders, a grin slowly creeping across his face as he looks at the foe closest to him.

"Hello there! Tell me something: was it your mother or father that was the donkey?"

Move three hexes north, and then all-out defense (dodge) to help defend against incoming fire for now. Using Rapier Wit on the nearest target (C1), with the bonus from voice it should have a 13 effectively.

stat block posted:

Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Enhanced Parry/Rapier, Rapier Wit, Weapon Master
Defenses: Parry 13 (preferred vs. melee, retreating parry when possible), Block 11, Dodge 10 (preferred vs. ranged); +2 to all against arcs where cloak applies

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Looking from the archers to the horses, Isit makes the decision that the cart is not the safest place to be. Hopefully the panicked horses would trample someone unfriendly. If they were lucky. If not, dead horses were not the worst cover to hide behind. "Look out, lass, the horses are gonna bolt."

Full move getting off of death cart.

ST-12, DX-13, IQ-12, HT-12
HP 12/12, FP 11/12, Will-12, Per-13, BS-6.25, BM-6
Combat Reflexes, Ambidextrous, Heroic Archer, Imbue 2
Weapons: Bow 13, Composite Bow (readied) 1d+2 imp
Shortsword 13 Shortsword 1d+2 cut
Large Knife(fine) 1d-2 cut
Armor: DR 2 torso (front); groin 2; arms 2; legs 2; feet 2; face/head 2; hands 2
Active Defenses: Dodge-9 (preferred), Parry 8
Gear; hip quiver 19/20, leather armor, bow, knife, sword, leather boots, leather gloves
Fast Draw arrow/knife 14

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The archers continue slowly trotting forward, quickly and as a practiced unit drawing arrows and nocking them in their bows, readying them to take aim again- panicked justifiably anxious people spill from the front and rear of the horsecart, scrambling to get away from the likely disaster of what was about to happen with two injured, panicky horses lashed to a single not extremely sturdy cart. Alec and Martin launch verbal challenges, and get markedly different results.

"Heh." One spearman looks Alec up and down, then trots a little closer with his spear in a ready position. "Barbarians. Fought you bastards for years. Not about to give one of you one of those duels you're always prattling about now. C'mon, it's a hassle like hell to try to knock armed people out without killing 'em." Somewhat heartened by the failure of everything to end immediately, two of the disembarked guards move forward with shortswords ready, taking up flanking positions to either side and slightly behind Alec- a charge would be a messy affair for all concerned at this point.

Martin's barb, however, seems to land in softer flesh. "Donkey?" The spearman sputters. "You little basta-"

"Hold it together, Glen, he's just trying to get under your hide-" one of the archers warns.

"-Fuckin' donkey, little pissant with your little loving knife?" The spearman is locked onto Martin, raising his spear and sighting down the bore but the lashing of his tail gives notice about just how angry he is at the comparison. "I've ridden down hundreds of you pukes, here, frontier, anywhere. You know what's going to happen to you when we bring you in? You-"

"GLEN!"

The centaur snarls- the expected charge delayed by perhaps only a second, but the centaur held in place for the archers to have one more good shot on him at that.

Back in the cart, Lette doesn't choose the easier path of fleeing, nor the harder path of dragging the near-catatonic civilian driver to safety with her. The horses need to be saved. They need to keep the cart intact. This isn't the way her first fight should go. She's not going to let the others down... she prods the driver, and her voice holds a snap of command Lette's never heard before. There's cold iron down in the base of her throat, and the driver spasms before rising, pale and sweaty, to his knees. Seemingly confused about what he's actually doing, he takes the reins back into his hands, blinking rapidly. Lette's already turned her attention to the horses, laying a hand on one's flank and talking in quiet, soft words; this too seems to have a note of cloudy gentleness she's never been able to put in her voice before, and a faint sensation of static fills the cart. The horses... they fall down onto all four hooves from their rear, ears twitching madly.

And then they execute a picture perfect turn, bringing the cart around so that the bulk of it is between them and the archers. They leave a trail of blood, and one horse sways worryingly halfway through the turn, but neither one collapses from their wounds. Instead, they stand there, still and shuddering.

Lo'el moves and all out dodges
Alec moves, all out dodges, and makes a challenge; I'll treat it as a reaction roll with a -2 from the stigma and -1 for an inappropriate situation; result modified is 5, which is "Bad". Centaur does not rise to the bait
Isit crouch-walks out of the wagon.
Martin moves and all out dodges. Rapier wit, Martin's roll is a a 10 (beats target by 3); Centaur C1 beats target by 1. C1 is Stunned.
Lette tries to get things to go better; Ruling the attempt to prod the driver into action as a Diplomacy-10 roll (9, success); Animal handling target is 7, roll is 7, success; Teamster default is 10, roll is 8, success. Very good chain of circumstances; horses will move as desired on their turn.
Centaur Archers 1-4 reload; fast-draw arrow rolls are all successful and they are ready to fire next turn.
Dolan moves out of the cart.
The guards move forward, taking up position as best they can near the heroes.
Spearman 1 is stunned and does nothing. IQ roll to shake off the mental stun is a 10; success.
Spearman 2 trots forward!
The horses turn the carriage onto the side of the road and around; Horse #1 stays conscious.

New Map: HERE

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec heard the dågon speak and knew the situation had changed, the cart cluttered to the other side leaving him exposed and these were not honorable creatures, that would duel as warriors. "Then we will have to fight as wolfs as well" Alec thought. Alec ran back to the group that was huddled by the wagon motioning the two guardsmen to follow. "These monsters have no honor, we need to stay together, if we Spears all rush in when they get close, we might have a better chance of living!" Alec says this mostly to the guardsmen cowering in the back.

move moving to rejoin group and doing a feverish defense if attacked to hopefully cover for it, the commands to the guards aren't likely to be followed but someone with high int might have a good shot of it!

code:
Alec Cherusci					
ST-12	DX-13	IQ-10	HT-12		
Active Defenses:Dodge-10(14)(Feverish Defense + acrobatic dodge + dodge against missiles/charges (acrobatics 13)) (-1 Fp)
                (retreat dodge if possible against charges)
                Parry-11[14][retreat-parry against melee attacks], Block-11

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Seeing his target's obvious distress, Martin grins a little more as he begins his approach. He was starting to remember how much he enjoyed this aspect of things.

Move six hexes straight north and prepare to defend against presumptive incoming attacks.

stat block posted:

Defenses: Parry 13 (preferred vs. melee, retreating parry when possible), Block 11, Dodge 10 (preferred vs. ranged/charges, retreating dodge when possible); +2 to all against arcs where cloak applies
Note: I will always add retreating to active defenses where possible, since it's a very fencing thing to do.

• Locked thread