Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
The rustling noise stops as Lo'el enters the wagon. It's as quiet as the grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He simply stands inside for a moment as the noise fades before falling down to rest on his knees. And then, taking a deep breath and holding it, he lowers his head to look underneath the benches.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

There's not many gaps in the lower planking. Mostly it's a closed off, dirty, dark area, strewn with cobwebs and unattended dust. When Lo'el looks in, though, he can see a shape moving around, trying to silently squirm its way into a far corner. The shape looks up, looks past Lo'el to his goat bottom half and hoof- and begins screaming desperately.

Outside the wagon, the sound of a young girl shrieking in terror cuts the silence.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Without thinking, Lette hops down from the cart. She winces as she hits the ground, and looks down to see the red spot on her leg bandage blossoming outward. She tightens it and walks, more gently, over to the cart. "Who's that?!"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

For as loud as the girl's scream is, Lo'el has no doubt that the sudden surprised yell of his own is just as loud. He catches himself suddenly, coughs, and adopts a more soft tone, smiling warmly. "It's alright. I'm not one of them and they're gone now. My name is Lo'el, my friends and I have come to help you."

Diplomacy - 14
Truthfulness
Easy to Read

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The little girl squirms deeper into the recess, trembling and terrified; after much coaxing and prying, she's gently removed from her hidey hole into the morning sunlight. She promptly scampers partway under the wagon, curling up in a sitting position with her hands around her knees and clutching a threadbare tan rabbit doll to her. The brown-haired and eyed little girl takes in the scene with quick looks, measuring the carnage that the area had seen seconds ago, and whimpers slightly. "They're... really gone? Really really?"

She's dressed in mostly sackcloth rags, torn and worn; her skin's also plenty dirty, smudged and dull with tangled hair. Rocking slightly, she adds, "Mommy told me to hide. And be quiet. Really gone?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"Oh my." Martin had been a bit slow to react to the scream - what with both legs injured and all - but his surprise at there being a survivor was possibly greater than his surprise at the actual noise itself. He shuffles over, standing behind the others, looking as perplexed as anyone has seen him yet. "At least someone has had a little good luck today. ...of a sort, anyway," he adds, realizing quickly that whoever the girl had been with is probably gone now. He decides to let Lo'el handle the talking for now.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He hops down from the wagon before the girl and comes to stand a few feet away from where she sits. The sight of his hooves obviously scared her so he decided to keep his distance for now. "Yes. Not to worry little one. You're safe now and we'll be sure to keep you that way." He keeps his smile warm as he starts to feel his tail sway gently behind him. "What's your name?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The little girl sniffs, curling a little tighter around herself.

"...Kat." She mumbles. "The others said we'd be taken somewhere safe but then the soldiers came and I had to hide."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Kat." he says, leaning his spear next to the wagon and clasping his hands together. "Your name sings to me." The young girl certainly had been lucky. With the centaurs bulk, it would have been impossible for them to properly check the inside of the wagons for someone so small. He squats down for the girl to better see his face, but still keeps his distance for now. Soldiers. She must mean the horse-men. They had seemed rather military.

"They won't be coming back Kat. Some more guards from the city will be here soon and they will be sure to help you. Where were you and your mother coming from?" He decides to leave questions of what exactly happened to her mother and the other passengers for now, his ears drooping sadly as he begins to think of what the poor girl may have witnessed.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

musical accompaniment

Alec's had faded to black and for what seemed like an eternity before what felt like a heart beat coursed through him. Like a pulse in the darkness, light seemed to seeping, staining his vision, the harder he tried to look into the light the less he could look into it. Alec put his hand to his eyes and then light seemed to surround him.

Suddenly as if waking, him he was in the grand hall with cheers around him. He saw his old friends welcome him and force him to sit. The cheers and loud voices filled his senses, but he was not able to understand them at all. his friends crowded around, they all drank to him and shook with joy. Alec saw a few of the women warriors cat call at them, teasing, and giving challenges to him and his friends, as near as he could guess. These were replied too with a drink and a less martial challenge, Alec guess, due to the laughs and coy voices returned. A few of his friends laughed at those whose words had been met with less voice than laugh. Alec felt disoriented and looked around.

The great fire burned bright and long table filled with food and drink as if by thought, Alec took a bowl and pulled it high shouting a toast to Cherus over the noise. Alec smiled at the warriors around him raising a bowl of mead in his hands to lips. His friends and the women joined him with a cheer and shout he could not understand.

Suddenly, with a clap everything froze and Alec as if possessed stood. The Grand Hall with all it's splendor faded from view and all he could see was a soft blue light of twilight. It filled his vision until he was standing in a forest with battle scars and dead around him. The battlefield was full of wounded and the walking injured. He recognized the battle, he looked around at the moaning and screaming people. He knelt instinctively and started helping those he could.

The solider in front of him turned from a vague figure into a woman with long bright blond hair, she gasped and looked up him smiling sweetly. She had a wound to her chest turn into the chain mail itself. She pets his cheek and whispers sweet things that a lover would to another. Alec looked over her wound and saw only heart blood flowing from her chest and knew the truth. He smiled back and grabbed her hand clasped it tight as the color drained from her face.

He watched her eyes slowly fade and only the smile remained on her face as she left him. He took her sword and spear and folded them in her hands as was proper. He smiled and kissed her cold lips twice, as if it retain a bit of her essence before she met her Father in the Hall beyond the dågon of Death. Alec watched himself stare at the dead girl, tears down his smiling face.

The smiling face soon was surrounded by flames spreading quickly consuming the two. The fire spreading amidst the golden hair then the fire consumed him. He only saw the flames and the the darkness of the night press in against them. Alec walks through the fire and feels his gear on him weighing him down comfortably. He looks around and sees himself in front of his town, his home. His gear at his feet.

Alec slowly shouldered his pack and started on a great journey. He lingered on the mountains through the forests of his youth. Alec watched the blue-gray mountains peek at him through the foliage as he walked. He felt the weight on his back lighten and the woods seem more wild around him.

He found himself with his bow and arrow, in hand watching a stag. This time he would show everyone how old he was! Notching his arrow, he watched the big stag ahead of him shift uneasy then put down it's great head to eat more. Without hesitation he pulled the arrow back, this would be the stag that would convince his father he was old enough to wield a real weapon, Alec knew and left the arrow fly.

As the arrow flew, time stopped. The arrow seemed to change as it hung in mid air in front of Alec's face. Soon it turned into his family's sword flying through the air and arcing into the rocky shore and the tide. Alec ran down as if the sword was a log on fire, as if the tide would consume the sword. He jumped in the ice cold ocean looking on the bottom among the rocks. Three times he dived into the sea and came up with nothing. The last he came up with the sword held above the water.

Alec ran out of the freezing sea to the warm embrace of a group of four children two boys and two girls all were younger but not much shorter than Alec. A woman with dusty brown hair and a man with bright blond hair were the last to embrace him, both of them in full chain battle dress. Alec thought it strange the cold chain against this wet skin felt warmer than touch of the others.

The brown haired woman leaned down and gave him two kisses on each cheek that Alec seemed to have more trouble enduring then the freezing water, or cold wind on his skin. Her face aged before his eyes and turned from pride to anger, frozen mid shout as he stood with the blond girl next to him. The blond girl did not have a wound yet, but seemed much younger in many ways. Alec saw himself in mid shout back at her, not a face hair on his face.

He turned away from the argument in front of him. When he looked back, the brown haired woman again was there, this much older, a scar down her cheek and sorrow on her face. Alec hugged her looking at the man next to her, his hair grey and his hard face betrayed by tears going down his cheeks. He felt her hands digging into his pack and held him as if she could make him never leave. Alec had a journey for which he may never return she says, her hands unable to let go.

He was the one to break it, and walk off into the darkness. After all, He was a man and no longer a child, the man understood and held the woman back as Alec broke the hug. Alec felt himself float back as if pushed. He saw himself stand there and give farewells to two young men, and two young women. He watched as he started walking away from everyone giving one last wave of his spear hand. He watched himself not look back and start at jog off into the mountains.

Alec did not watch himself go off on the great journey. He stared only at the brown haired woman, whom he called mother.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit nods at Lette. "Usually goes much worse. Alec shoul be dead by all rights. Berserkers never have good ends. With a grunt, she stands up and hobbles towards the carts, taking care not to startle the child. Lo'el seemed to have it in hand. Wasn't much of a fighter, but he sounded like he could charm cats from trees. Or a Kat from a cart as it were. Tilting her head, she peers around the carts, trying to find any missed tells. Arrowheads, armor, hoof prints could all tell a tale of who they were. Along with blood.

Per 13 Search 13

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Catching up, Lette pulled off her helmet as she joined those gathered around the girl. Her breath caught in her throat. Kat stood alone, sundered from everyone she had ever known and loved, and clutching a single possession — the sole remnant of a life that had almost certainly come to an end. In the girl's large, frightened eyes, she could not avoid spotting her own reflection.

"Dear, I'm so sorry," she said, taking a knee. "Where did you see your mommy last? Was there anyone else with you?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

There's not much else around the wagons, even to Isit's practiced eye; it may as well have been that ghosts descended from on high and simply erased everybody who'd been in the wagons, and then vanished without leaving a trace. Whatever was left was indistinguishable from something that could have come from a refugee. There's... well, come to that, there's not really any evidence of a struggle at all. No weapon marks in the wood, no broken slats, no... anything. In either wagon. If the refugees put up a struggle to not be abducted, they had to have waged one of the weakest and least effectual resistances possible.

Meantime, Kat snuffles, holding her bunny in front of her like a shield. She glances over at the fallen form of Alec, shuddering slightly, before she says hesitantly, "We're from... Paldiski." She sniffs. It wasn't a particularly familiar name- a small merchant town a little less than halfway from Noah to the northern border of the old Empire. Two, three days journey by horseback. Peering up at Lette with glistening eyes, she says quietly, "When she told me to hide. A few hours ago. When the soldiers stopped us." To the latter question, she shakes her head, looking down. "I want my mommy."

The first of the guards rounds the bend, sees bodies, and immediately bellows- "MEDIC!"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin listens without a word as the others gently question the only survivor of the caravan, eyes half-closed, burning pain starting to gradually seep into his legs a bit more than he'd like. The evidence was beginning to become interesting, what little there was, but it was hard to focus at the moment. Centaurs, military or ex-military by all rights, raiding refugees from the north. Then, setting an ambush for guards and adventurers from Noah. And they wanted captives. He couldn't quite figure why they had attacked here, just yet, although hostage-taking had a long and not-so-glorious tradition, so that at least fit.

Without looking up or at the others, he interrupts. "We ought to get back to town as soon as possible. Get the girl a warm meal and a place to stay, get the wounded - which I guess is all of us - to healers," he suggested, wincing as he shifted weight from one battered leg to the other. "And then I think we had better have a chat with His Lordship the Mayor, and see if we can put the pieces together of what just happened." Backing off from the rest of the group, he paused briefly, scowling as he looked off up the road in the direction the marauders came from. "I have not made a career out of letting people who do things like that get away, and if it is all the same to the rest of you I am not keen on starting today."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"It's alright Kat." he says, following her gaze over to Dolan and Alec. "They are just...sleeping right now." When the girl mentions her mother, he simply lets out a small sigh as his tail falls sullenly behind him. The young faun was not good at talking to children at the best of times, let alone scared human girls who had just seen and heard things that even he was struggling to cope with. "Just be brave Kat." he says rising to stand once more. "We'll be sure to find your mother, I promise."

With that said, he gives Kat another warm smile before leaving her in the company of Lette. He decides it is best to have her in the company of another female of her own race at a time like this. He could only imagine what a strange sight he must be to the poor girl.

His ears twitch upwards again as he starts taking a few steps down the path to check on the guards. Looking up and seeing the first of the reinforcements coming into view, he raises his spear high above him to signal them. "Over here quickly!"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Kat sniffs, her only response to the reassurances.

A pair of horses thunder up to the scene- drawing a reflexive tensing in Kat- before two guards dismount. "By all the gods- what happened here? Are there still bandits nearby?" They turn and wave, and a second mail wagon rounds the bend; this one crammed full of all the guards that the captain could round up on a few more minutes' notice, Dirksen standing beside the wagon driver with a heavy crossbow loaded and ready- and when the quarter-orc watchman sees the chaos, he blanches.

Just so y'all know, the next post I make will FAST FORWARD everyone back to town as the guards get y'all to healers and get this place secure, so make your peace with the scene as you will.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I'm sure your mommy wants to see you, too. We'll do everything we can to help you. Both of you. Okay?" She smiled, doing everything in her power to keep at bay the emotions this encounter was triggering. "You must have been in there a long time. We'll have to get you something to eat."

After a measured silence, Lette tentatively reached out to indicate the stuffed animal. "What's this one's name?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

As the guards pull up, Martin ambles over towards the watch captain, putting on his cheeriest face and tone. "Centaurs, not just any bandits, sir. There were six, and well-trained. They tried to take hostages of us, but we forced them to retreat. They're all badly hurt - my blade tasted plenty of blood today," he boasts a little smugly for someone who can only barely stand. "We didn't make it out without scratches though as you can see. Some of ours and some of yours need more skilled healing hands quickly." His voice stays strong, but his face becomes a little graver as he says that.

"We're not sure what happened to the caravan. They may have taken most of them. They used the wagons as bait for us, and I do not much like that, to tell you the truth! I imagine we've all got more work ahead of us, don't you? After we're all on the mend I think we'll all need to see His Lordship and discuss what needs to happen next," adds Martin, already planning ahead in his mind to such a meeting.

I don't know if he even needs convincing on that last part, but if so feel free to roll diplomacy/fast-talk/savoir-faire or whatever, as appropriate.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Spitting in the dirt, Isit ambles up to the guard captian. "They used to fighting as a team, disciplined. Wanted live captures. Took the civvies without a struggle, either by magic, intimidation, or persuasion. Though I can't imagine they would leave a child if they thought it was safe." Isit frowned, but didn't speculate what they'd want live captures for. Likely slaves, sacrifices, or hostages. "Walked into an ambush here. But we wounded them so you may be able to track."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Leaving Martin and Isit to brief the captain, he trots back over to Dolan and Alec as they lay soundly by the side of the road. Thankfully their chests were still rising and falling. He sits down firmly on the hard packed dirt and lays his own beaten and wounded arm in his furry lap, grateful that the madness of the recent encounter was now behind them. A warm fire and a good song had never seemed more appealing then they did right now.

He soon stands again, ready and willing to help move the two unconscious men into one of the wagons bound back to the city.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"He doesn't have a name," Kat sniffs. "He's a toy."

---

As guards swarm the scene, supplementing first aid efforts and taking charge of the situation, a pair of guards are sent out on horseback to scout, follow the trail, and track the centaurs with a view to a retaliatory strike and rescue mission as soon as practicable. All those sent out to recover people are sent on wagon back to the city, where the press of people is less eager to alow them through returning than they had been going- still, after a long fifteen minutes of slow travel, one by one people are helped or carried into what passes for the town's hospital. As healing magic has, recently, grown much more powerful, the 'hospital' in this case is just a large airy building with reasonably comfortable beds cleaned daily for people to await the attentions of the employed chirurgeons.

The new arrivals are guided or taken to beds next to each other, and after a few minutes a dapper looking elf in a plain brown leather robe comes out, ruby necklace dangling from his neck as he surveys his new patients and clucks in disapproval. "More fighting, is it? Pity and a sin that people still have to fight each other in this day and age, of course I know it was some good cause but then there's always a good cause, isn't there? Part of the sin and shame of it all. Nothing for it, let's see what we've got here." In each case, the bedside manner is similar; the healing mage, a Mr. Koppal, examines the injures for a few minutes while chattering a mile a minute about utter trivialities- then he'll grow serious, and tell the patient exactly how badly they've wrecked some important part of their body, then place hands on the afflicted part and with a minute's chanting, channel positive energy into the wounds doing a great deal to knit flesh back together. Then, drained, the mage will hobble off to make chatter with another patient until he feels up to a repeat of the exercise.

Most of the healings go without incident; injured limbs are mostly quickly fixed, with only Alec and Dolan meriting further attention. The elven mage's face, almost shorn bald of blond hair to avoid interference with his work, greets them with a smile and a dextrous flutter of pointed ears and a "Welcome back to the land of the living!" Dolan is pointedly cautioned to not take any hits to the head in the next few days, as the wound has not yet entirely healed and could well be aggravated- and Alec, an even more pointed caution about not trying to stress his still-wounded arm, a dire warning that an inch more and the limb would have been lost- followed by an injunction to return in the morning so that Mr. Koppal could finish knitting muscle and flesh together. The guards also get the same attention, with the centaur-kicked one earning the most (and most sotto voce) attention from the elven mage. After a few hours of healing and observation, the elf reluctantly allows a pair of watchman to remove his patients for an emergency meeting with the Mayor- but only after immobilizing Alec's arm tightly in a large bandage swaddling his entire limb in cotton.

The guards usher everyone through the streets and into the "Palace"; more functionaries take look of those who still have blood-spattered armor and injuries, but by and large let them go through without audible comment. Waiting on the second floor are the bundles of their goods, as well as Kat under the watchful care of a squat dwarven clerk- the young girl stares at the healed adventurers, cocks her head to one side, and tucks her head back into her arms. This time, there's no wait- this time, they're ushered into the office of Lord Roland.

Enough chairs- exactly enough chairs- are arrayed in a semicircle in front of a two yard long oaken desk; sitting in an unprepossessing wooden chair behind it, the lanky mayor rises to greet them in. "Welcome, come in, be seated. You did good work out there in a situation far worse than we thought you'd be going into- damned well done to not get yourselves killed..." he trails off, blinking. "No- captured, that was what Captain Dirksen told me you said they wanted. I'm sorry, I haven't been debriefed properly, or I'd be a lot more prepared for you. I understand the basics of what you told the watchmen when they arrived. I only wish the news was better."

With a heavy sigh, once all the heroes sat down, Lord Roland dropped into his padded chair and began massaging his temples. The mayor was still a young man, no traces of gray in his hair or well-kept beard, but lines were just beginning to show around his eyes; by all accounts and popular tale, he worked 16 hours a day in this office, barely grudging time to eat or sleep. While that could have been patriotic exaggeration (the man doesn't look as though he's in imminent danger of collapse), the smile he gives the adventurers is rather forced. "We'll find the young woman a sound foster home with one of my clerks until we can rescue her parents, which of course we must try to do. I expect the scouts I set forth to return around sundown- and I imagine you'll want to be included in any rescue mission we send...?"

Everyone's had a total of 9 HP restored over the medical attentions lasting about two hours; Alec's arm is still crippled and in a makeshift sling, but the healers are pretty sure it'll be fixed tomorrow. All but Alec and Dolan are completely healed; Alec is at 6/12 (and by reasonable standards should not be doing anything but bed rest) and Dolan is at 7/10. FP loss has only regenerated 2 FP, for those in the group without Recover Energy.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Yes" The word has already left his mouth before he even realises that he's said it. He sheepishly glances to each of his companions in turn before smiling at them all. "I made a promise after all."

He swings his right arm back and forth again, still amazed by the effect of the elven mages healing. The sheer sensation as the pain had drained away as the wound had mended itself was beyond anything he could have hoped to experience. As amazing as it had been though, he hopes that he doesn't have to endure it again any time soon.
"I am no warrior or mage sir." he says, looking back to the mayor. "But I wont sit by idly as such atrocities take place around me. I would assist in whatever way I can to help track down these people."

The faun takes a seat, positioning his tail so that he can sit comfortably, before casting an eye around the mayor's room. He had said his piece and it now seemed right to leave talk of preparations and other important matters to those who had a far better handle on things then he did.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"If I may, your Lordship..." Martin pauses for a brief moment. Here again he was a bit more in his element, even if he'd always hated dealing with the nobility - it was still part of who he was. It was much better than cleaning up after battle, though.

"I think - or at least I hope - I speak for all of us when I say we would be honored to be part of any effort to recover the hostages, and to bring the raiders to justice," he stated clearly, sounding almost nothing like he may have in the middle of the battle not so long ago. "However, I have questions. This morning we encountered two quite unfortunate surprises; that they were centaurs and not a raiding party on horseback, and that the caravan was a trap. We all did exceptionally well under the circumstances, I must say. But I would like very much not to have a repeat of these circumstances."

Pausing for breath, he tapped a finger on his right temple a few times, thinking. "If your Lordship would be so kind as to provide us with as much information on these centaurs as possible, it would be appreciated. Has this been happening often? Have there been other sightings, and where? Maps of the area north of here would also be a great help. The more we know, the better it is for the mission," he noted with emphasis.

Again, I don't know if these questions require a roll, but same deal as last time if so.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods at the other's statements. "Yeah a trap set by ex-military is a bit- er, bear to deal with Sir. They seem very organized and mentioned a Queen. i don't suppose you know any things claiming that title around these parts? My only concern for a rescue mission would be the hostages. If I were them, I'd make use of them as a human shield. They might start slitting neck as soon as we attack." Pausing, she looks around. "might be better to lue a few of them into a trap of our own and take some captives. If possible. Or get leverage on them of some kind."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Something was missing in all this. Or, more accurately: someone.

quote:

Dear Gilbert,

Today was

Her pen sat unmoving on the page, a spot of ink growing beneath the tip. How to possibly sum the whirlwind that this short day has already been? She thought on it and continued on a new line.

quote:

Today has only just begun, but for all its gravity, it feels more than a week in weight.

I was called to the Palace, and who should I have met there but the selfsame people I had described earlier! On Lord Roland's request, we rode out to guide a caravan safely to town, ere some 'bandits' should overtake it. In fact, they were soldiers, agents of some Queen, so they said. Centaurs, six of them.

They set upon our horses, but thankfully, the driver was able to steady them and guide the cart to safety. I'd like to think I was of some small assistance to him, but one mustn't grow boastful. I'm just happy that my presence didn't complicate matters, and that they yet live.

As do we all, but how doubtful it seemed we would at the time! The six were armed to the teeth, and soon the battle split into two separate fronts. My armor saved me from what surely could have been a snapped sternum when one charged me. Mr. Lo'el suffered a grave wound to an arm. Ms. Isit and Mr. de Mignolet both sustained serious bleeding wounds, thought they fought magnificently. It could be that Ms. Isit saw me through the episode, which does make my previous writing of her sound silly. The words of a frightened child, perhaps. When will you grow up, Lette?

Mr. Dolan, while casting a spell, was knocked out by one of the aggressors — I didn't see which one — and Mr. Alec, the harm visited upon him is difficult for me to even describe, let alone contemplate how he continued to fight. The guards sent with us were also dealt heavy blows. I watched one suffer a wound that /▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░/ is best left undescribed.

But I cannot focus simply on our losses, for greater were our gains. We drove the brutes back without loss of life on either side. I am no stranger to the hunt, but I never thought I would draw blood in battle. In fairness, I still have not. But I — we — persisted, until they had no fight left in them. Our wounds were grave, but nothing the healers could not see to. Further, the occupant of the caravan was saved!

I did say 'occupant,' because the sole driver was deceased in advance of our arrival, without sign of wound or struggle. Only a young girl named Kat, hiding in the back of one, was rescued. She is distraught, as is only natural for one so young. It tears at my heart. I know, Gilbert, her struggle. As does your namesake.

While my own search may have gone cold, I believe our next task may involve an inquiry as to the well-being of her parents. There is a common thread linking these events that surely must be something more than coincidence. I wish I could do more for her, but she is reticent, and I am not going to subject her to questioning. In her own time.

I write this as the healers see to the others. Mayhap there is time yet for me to head to the market.

I must make haste. Once everyone is well enough to hold a meeting, it sounds that such is Lord Roland's aim.

Love,

Lette

---

Lette walked up to the girl, raising a hand in a still wave. She placed on a chair beside her a basket containing paper, pencils of charcoal and pigmented wax, a tiny shirt — sized for a doll — and a penny-whistle. "Hello, Kat. I saw this, and thought you might enjoy it. Do you like drawing? Well, anyway, I have to go, but I'll see you around." She smiled brightly before taking her leave.

On her way up the stairs, she whispered the same prayer to Dinym that she had spoken many a time in the past eight weeks.

---

"I would also appreciate the chance to assist," she said, when an opening presented itself. The others had already voiced many of her own concerns: the centaurs, a map, the queen.

"The centaurs said that they had achieved one of their objectives. I can't imagine that wounding people acting in the service of a city is the sort of thing a queen would order. I can only assume they were after Kat. If she is to be placed with a family, I wonder if they might be given whatever extra security the city guard can spare. That is, I know they're quite busy as it is..." she trailed off, finally nodding to signal the completion of her thought.

A thought occurs to her just as she surrenders the floor again. "Oh, um, and is there any word about a possible driver of the second cart? One who may have perhaps bailed? Over so great a distance, a driverless cart held even with the other seems... unlikely. Especially given the condition of the other driver."

For recordkeeping: I am valuing the gift basket at $60. Inventory has been updated accordingly. Roll of 9 against Teamster default 10 to sniff out something fishy about the driver situation.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 11, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec woke and made a grab for his sword, taking a moment to sit unhappily and wait for his treatment. If his dream effected him in anyway, Alec did not show it. He dressed with help of a nurse, his blood stained clothes still on him. He thanked the healer personally and then walked slowly to the office or King Roland.

Greeting his comrades as he did, and listening to their discoveries after he had lost consciousness. The girl was interesting, he had not expected to find a Kinder among the wagons, nor were their bodies. Alec appeared to be more quiet than usual as he mulled over some things in mind, though he refused to talk or show any idea what passed through his mind.

It wasn't until at least they were in front of the King himself that Alec spoke firmly and with a clear sense of power. "I am ready, just point my way for my spear, and I am there. These savages clearly had plans for these people. If they did not murder them now, they have purposes worse than we can imagine. Dågons do not take prisoners." Alec leans forward in his chair "If need be we can leave now, my shield will fit on this arm, and I will fight." Alec motions to his bandaged arm.

Alec could not record his deeds at the moment, but it was going to either be a feast or fight. He would not feast until the fight was done. It is a shame with the newly blooded cannot celebrate, but such is the way of war. It just means that they will have to celebrate later and more extravagantly.

"Your hunters of course will help, but if we were in the woods, the monsters would not have had a chance. Our spears will fight till they break to get them back, but any men you can spare will only help to speed them on our way. Be it quietly or with full force." Alec finished with confidence and leaned back in his seat.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The mayor gives Lo'el a polite nod and murmured thanks before turning a blank gaze on Martin and Isit in turn. He stays silent for a long few seconds, before finally saying, "Sir, you ask what I knew by implication, but what you really want to know is what I suspected." He drums his finger on his desk. "To the first: Damned little, which is a particular dislike of mine. Everything after a few days' travel to the north has- simply gone dark to my communications and my- sources of intelligence. There could be an army gathering up in the foothills of the barrier mountains. I rather suspect there is. That being the case, what I knew was that a cart that appeared from afar to contain two wagonloads of refugees was fleeing an area I know nothing about and desperately want to, and was being chased by forces consistent with a small number of soldiers on horseback."

The mayor leans back slightly, and continues, "I suspected they might be scouts for an army moving southward attempting to ensure no concrete information about their intelligence got loose. That you were supposed to be captured instead of killed also makes sense- they wanted to know what they had in front of them, or more optimistically on their flank." With a sad smile, he adds, "I don't believe in optimism these days."

"Now, you ask about a Queen. I found that very interesting. When I heard it was centaurs, I assumed that they came from a colony of militant monsters that has taken up residence in a middling-sized wood a day's travel northeast of here. I happen to know that their leader is some sort of female monster. However, all I've heard indicates that she is not the type to take the title of "Queen", and more concerningly the town that young Kat said she came from is quite to the north-west. The road they came from similarly bends far away from the monsters' wood- they'd have to ford a river and pass up two closer and more inviting roads in to take hostages in if they wanted. So, regrettably, given all the facts I have- I have to conclude that there is some large army headed for Noah that is close enough for scouts to range within sight. We can't assume that they're all centaurs, Alec-" The mayor nods, cordially, "-or even that they're all monsters. We simply don't know what we don't know..."

Standing up abruptly, the Mayor heads for his window, staring out at his city. "That's why- with my apologies- I have to ask that when you follow the trail north, you'll be acting as my eyes and ears... and not just as a rescue mission. Maps, of course, would be provided in any event." Nodding behind him at Lette, "Of course. I understand there are some guards in need of recuperation duty that would be pleased to guard another survivor of that attack. As for the second driver-" His lips tighten. "None. Unless Kat drove the wagon, or the army has someone who is good enough to remain invisible with them, or..." He shrugs. "Unless something impossible occurred, the centaurs were able to herd those horses in reasonable formation with the dead driver."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Stars filled the void, glittering and shining and reflecting until there was no void, no time, only their light. In the midst of it all, brighter even than the stars, was a single bar of light, focusing and refracting everything, gathering all the light of the universe.

He was awake, he realized. No. not awake, but conscious. He had no body, or maybe he did, but he startled anyway when he felt the presence. He tried to speak, but nothing worked. He could not act here.

He woke suddenly to an elf admonishing him on proper care of his skull, but he did not truly listen. As soon as he was alone, he transcribed what he remembered of the voice in his book. He would find out what he could later.

---

"Aye, I'd be willing to help in any way I can," Dolan answers. He was glad to finally meet Lord Roland, the man who had managed to build Noah up into a prosperous city even in these chaotic times.

"I did some thinking while I was unconscious," Dolan says. "If you had not already assigned someone to it, I'd like to examine the refugees' wagons. I might be able to get some clues as to what happened before we arrived." There's a moment's hesitation before he continues. "Also, if they were after us as well as the refugees, we need to know why. If this 'queen' is after one or some of us, or one of your guards, we need to know why."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin listens politely as the mayor explains what he knows and what he needs. Creeping doubt begins to gnaw at his thoughts as he does so, and it's not long before he feels compelled to speak again. "I beg your pardon, your Lordship, but...well, something seems strange. If they wanted to send scouts, why send ones so conspicuous? Maybe there is no answer there...dark times breed chaos, after all," he added, but the swordsman looked thoughtfully concerned.

"Still, I feel like someone is trying to trick all of us - you included, your Excellency. I do not know what the trick is, nor to what end, and if there is a trap here I'm willing to walk towards it and see if we can't find a way to turn it around on its architect. But I can't help but feel that we have all missed something vitally important here."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec considers everything said for a moment and then says with trepidation "There is something wrong, but I fear it could be worse than anything you may have seen. Here it might be different but where I have hailed from, such things as we are seeing now. Well it would be the beginnings of a Black Horde." Alec pauses and lets out a breath looking at the others as if he had said that the sky is falling.

"If so, then we will need a great power to stop it. My people know of only one other time one has existed." Alec continued and looked off into the distance as if trying to remember something deep in his past.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He sits quietly in his chair for a while as his ears listen intently to the conversation around him. "Black Horde?" he says, perking up at Alec. "All this talk of gathering forces does sound troublesome and I fear I would be beyond useless if we were to be facing an army."

"I would imagine that I can track these centaur easily enough back to where they came from, provided we are blessed with no rain to wash their trail away in that time. I do agree that haste is called for to save these people, although I would like to rest and prepare before we set off. I fear that rushing in as we did today will only yield the same result, if not a far worse one."

He starts running a hand through his tail and the fur on his legs, dirt and dry blood coming away with each stroke. A wash would certainly be called for after this, lest these people start to think he is truly a wild beast.
"I would also like to personally take the task of documenting our story as we journey." he says, finally. "If any blank journals or parchment could be provided, then I would be most grateful. If not, I am sure there is a merchant nearby that can provide." Despite all the dire circumstances that now surrounded them, the chance to record such a tale in his own words is not one he is willing to brush aside.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette nodded in sober agreement with Martin. "These times are something foul, I'll vouch as many times as I'm asked. But what do you propose we've missed? But perhaps I ask the wrong question," she finished, suddenly self-conscious.

"It seems unanimous: we'll investigate, then. We've everything they were chasing in hand, and the lands they covered before us. I'll gladly go wherever the need is greatest." Though her immediate skills were better suited to holding a trail, she was intrigued to see what Dolan had planned. How does a mage perform a search?

She leaned over to Lo'el and whispered, "I'll show you where I bought mine after this."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 25, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Thank you" he says to Lette with a smile. "For all the time I have spent here, I fear I'm still as unfamiliar with this city as it is with me. Your help and company are most welcome, Miss Lette." He turns his attention to his arm again, prodding it gingerly as if expecting the wound to suddenly return. It certainly was remarkable. It was a shame that magic wasn't as common amongst the herd as it was out here.

"I'm sure the chance to rest and recover ourselves while we can would not go amiss before we start such a task. If we are to have more of these encounters, then perhaps I should see to a blacksmith for some armor to better suit my...physique." He lets out a small chuckle. "Preferably along the arms."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec waited for a pause as if to remember some distant song or story, and delaying as long as he could to actually remember it fully. He refocused upon the situation and continued shrugging his shoulders.

"It is an old saga, and not often sung now. It talks of a time before the Time of Darkness, and during the time of Cherus. Cherus himself wielded fire beyond normal Man. The song tells of a Spirit, a powerful one. This Spirit brought together all who had fallen from the Path of Honor. I know not of which Spirit nor his marks, but it is said that unlike most, this Spirit gathered an army and organized it. Sons of Rugii and even some Sons of Gepidi were drawn to this banner, and with that they all attacked Cheruscisten. It is moment that Cherus, himself, could not stop the horde. It wasn't until he gained a powerful tool that he was able to stop them and only through enough dead to create a river of blood that flooded the fields. The Spirit itself never showed itself, we do not know what happened with it."

Alec paused and took a deep breath "Now, I do not remember what the story said more than that. These dågons may in fact be testing these walls like you said, or rather the Spirit has learned and some form of trickery to get in the walls without a battle. If it does attack with a new horde... I do not think these walls will hold." Alec carefully speaks to make sure the respect is clearly conveyed.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"We brought in the wagons," Lord Roland says to Dolan without turning from his view of the city. "You are of course welcome to examine them. For reasons of bureaucracy if nothing else, I'm putting you all on the city payroll as of this morning. If nothing else, I don't want you worrying about food when you should be worrying about the safety of all the people in this city." Reaching up, he rubs his scalp- first signs of baldness just starting to show at the crown under thick short black hair- and turns back to the others as Martin speaks.

"Is there deception afoot?" The mayor asks. "I'm almost sure of it. But the facts still apply, no matter how much I wish they didn't. Something has caused many settlements to the north to go quiet. Now, a pair of wagons of refugees, or wagons with a refugee load extremely well faked, is intercepted by a band of well trained soldiers. It's then driven into sight of the city, and from their words we can assume they meant to ambush us our first responders and abduct them. It doesn't make much sense however you spin it, Martin, but what continues to make sense to me is that they were testing our response and wanted someone to interrogate who could reasonably be expected to know about the defenses of the city. After all, they could hardly have counted on newcomers being sent out to meet their scouts. We have to assume that whoever sent the centaurs did so with the full expectation of fighting guardsmen."

He walks back to his desk and sits, watching each as they speak in turn. "You'd be surprised just how potent an army I can muster on short notice, Alec. But I can't just assume it will be enough. I have... contacts, with other people and factions of importance. I'll start activating them, and I may need some of you to help with that once you return. Internal security is something we'll have to watch, to be certain, but against a horde all I can do is speed the construction of the walls even further and assemble the largest army possible." Roland steeples his fingers under his chin, and adds, "I had planned to dispatch you north tomorrow afternoon, after you've all had a chance to completely heal. I'm afraid there will be a storm this evening, though, and a bad one by the looks of the clouds- it's why Captain Dirksen sent a pair of officers north on horseback to trace the trail as far as they can before the rains come. At the very least it will give you a place to begin."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"So this tool was powerful enough to drive off the armies of a god? Fascinating. And what happened ne-" The faun finds himself easily drawn into the northerner's tale, only snapping from it and stopping himself midsentence as he realises that satisfying his own curiosity might be getting them off-topic. He coughs and puts aside his tail that he hadn't noticed he was playing with as he turns in his seat to address the mayor.

"You're far too generous Sir, but thank you all the same. There seem to be many questions regarding these soldier's actions and motives. I can only hope that we can gather more information when we track them down." Tomorrow afternoon. Ample time for him to prepare, wash and relax until the time came to leave. And speaking of a wash.

"Sir." he says, standing and causing his hooves to make a distinct sound on the floor. "Is there somewhere nearby that I may go to wash? Only I fear the grime of battle is not something I am used to." He did not wish to appear rude, but he could not contribute much in talks of strategy or the ways of war. And, he felt he might start to scratch his fur off from the itch of dirt if he had to sit here for much longer.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I came to Noah from the plains northwest of here, through the woods. Seven or eight weeks, on foot. I've been to a few settlements matching your description, though I don't know if they're the ones you have in mind. Stripped bare of life, where there were signs there ever was any. There was a traveler's inn, maybe a third as far as my home, that was simply not there. I didn't see so much as a brick of it, nor stone for foundation. I... wished to believe that my map was in error. In truth, I can't say."

She paused, staring off for a moment, then added, "I don't recall passing through Paldiski. I think my course may have been more westerly. But if experience is any guide, nothing awaits us there. By her account of it, though, Kat last saw her mother not days but hours before we found her, so there were most certainly others who'd already fled. It may be worth a sweep."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec relaxes upon hearing that they would not be needed immediately, and listened intently to Lette describe the loss of towns and villages. Alec thinks for a moment and then leans back "If there is a great horde on it's way it will not move tonight, if it is going to storm, so there is little work to be done. If it is not a horde then I have no help to offer in what could be coming. I've only encountered small groups of dågons on the road and none of them appeared to be organized. Then again, I have come far."

Alec leans back in his chair, speaking slowly "If we are going so late in the day then tonight we should rise our own mettle and celebrate at least what we have done. Then we will be ready should our journey be long and dangerous. Unless of course, there are other tasks that you need of us." Alec pauses for a beat.

"However, K-Lord Roland, I do have a question. How do you plan on defeating this? Through just men? I do not think that just men and allies will be enough. We will need something or even a way to stop all of these Spirits returning." Alec tried to remain stoic... maybe just maybe the Lord would reveal some key that he himself could learn, or plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"A storm you say, your Lordship? That is...very ill news." Martin stroked his chin idly while considering this, and also considering that by the end of this journey he may yet have a full beard, if things kept up as they had been. "I suppose I am not surprised. All fate seems to conspire against free and peaceful peoples these days," mused Martin. They would have to get going quickly then - as bad as that would be for the Northerner and the Dwarf, it couldn't be helped.

"From the sound of things everyone here is willing to go, unless I am mistaken," said Martin with a sharp glance at his apparent new traveling companions. It wasn't a question. "All of us have traveled long and hard in the last weeks though. And now we go ready for battle. We will need gear, and provisions, I think. Perhaps horses as well; time is of the essence. I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that any help your Lordship and your people can provide us will be returned twofold with our success. We will give all that we have to ward off the coming dangers, but it is better to be sure we have what we need."

Again with the rolling, I guess. 13s for diplomacy or fast-talk, 11s for savoir-faire.

• Locked thread