Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

This man was quick. He answered Dolan's next question, that about employment and funding, before he could even ask it. Being on a city payroll was always easier than being contracted to a lord, even a good one. It always felt more permanent, more real. "The storm sounds like it could be bad news. Sending the scouts now was a good idea. If I can't find anything, they may be all we have to go on. Speaking of--" He stands, bowing his head slightly. "Time shrouds all things. With your leave, my Lord, I'd like to begin my investigations sooner rather than later. Should I report my findings to captain Dirksen, or directly to you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He balances awkwardly for a second as he scratches his lower left leg with his right hoof. "This storm does sound dangerous. I am more then happy to wait until tomorrow so that we can be sure we are ready for whatever we might face. No sense in rushing ahead right now. I hope we are all ok to wait until tomorrow afternoon?" A sudden memory rises of a phrase the elders so often scolded him with in his youth. "Haste leads to waste." he says, as if quoting from a book.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Well deception or not, investigation is the only way to figure this mess out. Seems like we are all looking to do our part for this city. is my home after all. At least the storm gives us time to rest. if i was a superstitious woman, i'd call it an omen, but let's hope it is for good rather than ill." She raises an eyebrow at Alec before continuing. "I'm sure what we shall find will be more mundane than a northern spirit army, but have preparations to make in any case. Pardon my question my Lord, but would you know someone who could recommend a for hire witch? I wish to take precautions before going into the wilds." Frowning at the others, the elf rubs her bandages. "I'd say we all need sleep and a good rest. no celebrations, just preparation."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec leans back and thinks it over a bit. "Well we would be traveling to a place we don't know of yet, and we have no idea if and when the scouts will return. If it is needed I can go tonight, but I think it would be best to go during the day to prevent them from ambushing again. At night in a storm, they would not need bait." Alec considers the other option after saying this and leans back in his chair. "We can't hope to rescue people if we ourselves are in trouble, no?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Agreed." he replies to Alec before turning to the mayor. "I'd like to study these maps before we set off to gain some better knowledge of our destination, if that is alright sir? After this much needed wash of course."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"Hm...you all speak truth, but in this situation I hate to wait - even though there are many reasons we ought to. I would hate for the trail to run cold." He looks to the others. "I will accept either choice, though. Either way, we are all in this together."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
"The way I prefer to call it, Lo'el," Lord Roland says, "Is 'Think before you leap.' The wisdom is the same. I just hope we have enough time to think before the ground crumbles under all our feet. From the sound of it, a rough consensus is to take the remainder of the day and night to do what investigations-" he peers at Dolan, "-and I know the eminent Mr. Koppal trusts they will be ones that do not overstress your injuries- and set out in the morning armed with my scouts' reports. I will be happy to let the Captain take charge of this investigation- gods know I'm about to have even more to do myself. Anyway, if my understanding's entirely correct, a few last things. Lo'el, I am... not honestly sure we have the facilities for a proper wash here in the 'Palace'-" even the mayor using verbal airquotes to belittle his own building, "-but I am sure whatever inn you are staying at will be perfectly fine. The blood won't dry that much more in the next half hour than the several you've already had to wait. I am told cold water is best."

"A... witch?" The mayor cocks a single eyebrow. "I have no idea, of course, where I would find one on short notice, but then I don't trouble myself to account for everyone in town and their vocation." He then mutters under his breath, "Unfortunately." With a glance backwards he adds, "Though I'm sure one will be in the market if you inquire enough; the afternoon and evening are usually high traffic through the main roads. I would warn you to keep at least one hand on your valuables though I doubt you need the reminder."

Lette's tale draws a sharp stare from the Mayor. "I wasn't aware of that." He says, sounding half offended at the concept. "If entire towns are being depopulated, that's worse than I'd feared, though I have no real idea who or what would be doing that. It also raises the prospect that whatever is coming for us may, in fact, be supernatural. If that's so, Alec- it may be time for me to make the rounds of the temple district and sound out various priests to see if divine aid is in the offing. But that, for now at least, is my business and not yours. Continue to see the guards for arms and armor, and they may also have provisions for you to take in the morning. The Captain will know the importance of your mission." With that last statement- one not quite as unabashedly supporting as it seemed at first- the Mayor drew the top sheet of paper off a perilously large stack balanced on his desk.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Words may change, but the meaning often stays the same. Do not worry about the wash. As you say, I am sure the inn can provide." As the mayor starts to return to his own tasks, the faun joins his hands as he turns to leave the room. "Thank you for these words. We will be sure not to fail you in this journey."

Cold water, he mentally notes to himself as he gathers his pack and staff and begins exiting the room, the movement of his legs suddenly alleviating most of the itch from his flanks. Hopefully the inn would have a decent place to wash. The idea of leaving the city walls to simply find a stream did not sound like an appealing one.

He looks out a nearby window and eyes the sun's position in the sky, having found his perception of time askew after the day's hectic events. Finding he still has plenty of daylight left to prepare, the faun starts to think on what he should see to first. Soon deciding, he turns to Lette.
"Miss Lette, would you be free to show me to this journal merchant? I can imagine that navigating these crowded streets will be much easier by having someone else along."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I hardly believe it could be anything but supernatural," Lette intoned bitterly. "Lord Roland, if I may beg a matter of my own: while, as you say, you do not personally account for everyone in town, might any word have reached you about a young boy arriving, or found nearby, unaccompanied? One Gilbert Hirthal — light hair, not much older than the child Kat?

"I hope I am not overreaching in my request, but if you have not heard anything, might you... pass a word along to your various 'eyes and ears'?"

She nodded to Lo'el. "Of course. I scarcely know the area myself, but the market is surprisingly navigable."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 26, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan - The Royal Garage

"Thank you. I shall waste no time, my Lord. By your leave," Dolan says before bowing briefly again. The warning not to overtax himself is taken seriously, though he doubts that he would be able to hurt himself easily in this situation. Once outside he gets directions to where the wagons were taken. It isn't far, he learns, from the main gate that they keep all of the wagons, and that the two refugee wagons have already been consolidated into the city's "army" of wagons. When he arrives, he learns that he is already expected, word having been sent just before him, and he is guided to where they are being kept.

Inanimate objects were easy -- usually -- to Trace. Of course, the bigger they were, the more effort it took. The Turns did not see the wagon as a single object, but many objects; far more, even, than the builder who made it would assume. Each plank of wood seemed to be a multitude of pieces. Each splinter had as many pieces as there were splinters in the entire wagon. Perhaps even more. All of them together ran in a single direction in the Turns, and direction could be Traced back until it met something else. Or someone else.

And that someone was who he was hoping to find.

Of course, his Elven doctor would not be please if he hurt himself, so he takes it slow.

Casting History on the driver's area of the lead wagon, the one that had the dead dude on it. History 13. Going back only one day, aiming mostly for the involvement with the centaurs.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"As you wish, your Lordship," offered Martin by way of saying farewell. He stands to leave, offering a short sort-of bow as he does so - even though the Lord Roland seemed little interested in such pleasantries, Martin still tried to abide by tradition where he could. It seemed to work well for him, all things considered.

To the others, he said, "I am going to go by the guard post and see what they can spare for us in terms of gear and provisions. I also want to see about horses, like I said, whether from them or elsewhere. If nothing else it will make hauling whatever we need much easier, and we do not know how long this journey will be." As he stepped out, he donned his dark-colored cloak with a bit of a sheepish grin; since the day's battle began he had been carrying it as a screen and had been so on edge he forgot about it.

Now it was time for him to find the guard post. He trusted his ability to find directions, and once there, Martin would see what might be available to the group for their little expedition. He was almost excited, despite his frank appraisal of the dangers only moments before.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec looked down at his free hand and stretched it "Well if it is decided, I will shop for a stout hunting bow. If this Queen wishes to play like a child or weakling, I will not give them the advantage again. Also it will help catch prey if we are out for more than a week." Alec rose slowly and turned before following out "K... Lord Roland, it has been an Honor. I would feel honor bound to add that I would not go and barter with the Spirit Talkers, or Priests as you call them. It would do you no good to turn to one Spirit to stop another."

Alec feeling he had fulfilled his need to council one who would go against the sagas, headed toward the market place to find a bow and arrows.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods and smiles. "Of course my lord, only so many hours in the day. Do take care. You may well be the only person holding this place together, and the world is running short on refuges." Either he was one of the truly honest politicians who didn't have a with in their employ, or a fine liar. Of course any politician worth their salt was the latter. Sniffing herself, she winces. "I think I shall seek out a spell caster, then retire back to the inn, since the city is footing the bill. Lo'el, Lette, if either of you wish to be advised in matters of weapons or armor, perhaps we can shop for that after your...er...paper shopping." It seemed a waste to her, but who knew what satyrs did for sport. Apparently writing books was a great thing with this one. And Lette seemed the lettered type as well. She'd have to try and convince them to make her seem quite dangerous. It would be good press.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"We'll keep an eye out for him." Lord Roland promises, but not without the tiniest gleam in his eye- though it may be just Lette's imagination- that calls to mind darker, more opportunistic motives. Nodding them out, a clerk comes in to usher everyone out of the office so that His Excellency can get more work done; but not without a parting shot of, "And Alec- keep talking like that and I'll send you to negotiate an alliance with the monsters."

As the door closes, there's a very faint hint of a laugh.

I will do up a more proper downtime post tomorrow evening with casting results, shopping etc; this is just to free people up who wanna chatter without being nailed to their chairs in the office!

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

What was that she had seen? The girl left the office with brow furrowed.

Finally, she shrugged. More eyes were more eyes. She would worry about the rest later. If he expected to extract payment for his aid, then perhaps fates would find her once again resuming the life of a sharecropper, albeit with a city's lord as landlord. The expanse beyond the city walls lay fallow, and surely in need of experienced hands to produce for the growing population. She did not find the idea entirely disagreeable, especially with the old dream of homesteading dashed to bits on the jagged newness of this era.

Setting aside her concerns, she pulled her own journal out of her pack and turned to Lo'el. "Something like this? I think it was a good deal, but they had cheaper or pricier ones, if you're after something with a nicer binding. I saw all sorts, though, even scrolls."

She regarded Isit and Alec, both preparing to go shop for their own respective goods. She hailed the northerner before he could get to the door. "Why don't you join us, Mr. Alec? I might need a stronger bow, too. I think I saw someone doing fletchery further down from where we're headed, so it couldn't be far off." She turned and spoke to the elf without so much as a trace of her former anxiety. "And you also, Ms. Isit. I didn't see any witches, but we can all search together. Maybe we'll catch up with Mr. Dolan or Mr. de Mignolet, on the way back."

Out the door, Lette led the way, as well as she could remember, to the set of stalls where she had acquired her book and ink. "It was further down from the inn, past all these... food carts." Her stomach growled, in her own mind drowning out the sounds of the street. "Excuse me for just a moment," she said, stepping towards a vendor boasting some of the most densely packed kebabs she'd ever seen.

Marketeers, roll call!

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 26, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He pauses outside of the room for a moment to properly strap on his pack before grabbing both spear and staff. "Yes, that seems perfect." he says, regarding Lette's journal. "Something to simply take quick notes will be just fine. Then I can worry about putting them into proper stories when we find ourselves back in the city." He turns to regard Alec and Isit himself before they leave. "I would also be blessed if you would join us Lady Isit and Sir Alec. If we are to make this journey together, then perhaps we should make preparations as such."

Soon leaving the building, the faun keeps close to Lette as they move through the city streets. "These foods." he says, eyeing the various stalls as they pass through the market. "I have not seen many of them before. I have to say, most do not appear very flavoursome. Perhaps-" He turns back to Lette, after eyeing the stalls, to find the girl no longer standing next to him. Darting his sight around quickly, he soon spots her next to a nearby stall and breaths a sigh of relief as he trots back over to her.
"As I say, navigating these streets is not something I am used to." He looks over at the stall next to them and curiously eyes the meat for sale. "What sort of meat is this?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Umm," Lette began, speaking through a mouthful of meat gamier than lamb but not so strong as venison — unless it had been boiled? It had been seared over flame, clearly. Seemed too large a chunk for rabbit. Was it goa-

Lette froze mid-chew. She slowly pivoted, looking from Lo'el to the stall owner. "It's... mutton," she finally said, swallowing. "Let's move on. This is" incredible, oh gods and the peppers "overdone. A little. Do you, um, like... noodles?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 26, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Ahh I see. I have never seen it so strangely presented before. It certainly is remarkable to come to these places and find food so readily prepared to eat." He raises his eyebrows as Lette seems to act strangely, following her gaze to the stall owner, who seemed to be staring quite intently at Lo'el's legs with a strange look in their eyes. "Umm, noodles." he says quickly following after Lette. "I read of them in a basic culinary book after I arrived, but haven’t been able to spot them yet. Made from dough if I'm not mistaken." He spares one more glance to the stall owner, his ears twitching nervously as their eyes never seem to leave his lower half.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Yeah. Like over here, hanging. Just a short boil and they're ready." She spoke shortly, tearing at the remaining bits of meat on her skewer. "Mm, they look like you'd need some kind of tool to make, right? Not really, though. C'n do it by hand. Jus' need gunh fwhar." She pauses, pacing herself. "...Good flour. I'm not an expert at it, but it's fun, now and again."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf states at the pair blankly as she follow them around in thierry food shopping. They seemed so unrepentantly chipper. Buying some mutton Isit leans against a wall and listens to their chatter. "How are you two so unrepentantly cheerful? I've never seen the like. Well, Mercy in the army was, but she was a drunk. Anyways, why do you need journals? Gonna write a book?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - Market

Though Lette couldn't speak for Lo'el, she volunteered: "It's something my mother taught me. Whenever I set a long-term goal, I start a journal. Well… not whenever, but always for important ones. It's a way to focus. To make sure everything holds together, new details tying in with the same aim.

"But you have to name it after your goal, for the best result. Names are important; they hold power. Essence, she said."

Lette stared off for a moment, contemplating Kat's response to her question about her stuffed bunny. It had seemed utterly alien to her, not to have at least a bare, smoky outline of a name for something you'd clutch so desperately. Different people, she supposed, might cling to different traditions. Still, it was so fundamental a thing...

"Cheer...? I dunno. It's just an exciting place, I guess. Don't you think?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 26, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Huh, and you grew up on a farm? Rather unique for you to be so lettered. Most farm people I brought in used an X for thier mark. Your mother must have been quite a woman to tend farm and be a scholar of sorts." With a shrug, she purchases an apple dumpling. The others must be making her nostalgic for home, if she was turning to pastries. "Guess it isn't as exciting for me. To open out here, good place to be knifed or pick pocketed. Especially with more desperate people pouring in."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - Market

"Everything is so new to me that I find it difficult to let the smile fade. I had dreamed of seeing places like this since I could first understand the stories told to me and read them for myself."

He stares off too for a moment. "I am the first in a very long time to ever leave the forests of my birth. My people have such a natural fondness for song and stories of all kinds. And out here-" He raises his arms, gesturing to the sounds of the city that surround them. "Out here, there are so many to hear that I fear I will not be able to keep track of them all without writing them down." He then smiles broadly. "I plan to keep notes so that I may eventually turn them into stories of my own experiences in this vast world. With the hope that one day, I will be able to share them with the herd."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec had just nodded and kept mostly quiet through the exchange, while the others shopped he watched the people and tended to have a hard time keeping up. These curious artisans, seemed more interested on attracting attention than showing their goods it seemed to Alec. How would people know which one is crafted the best? He asked himself as he stared at them. Alec appeared very interested in the talk of a journal and kept his ear open for when they talked about it. He thought back to the ritzen that he had scribed upon the wood and wondered if the journals had a similar purpose.

Upon hearing the talk of names Alec interjects "Any word has power if said right, Names, just call upon the ancestors to tell your story. It is why I looked at your scrolls and boohcs and was surprised how lifeless they are. On the mashed reeds they have no life. Doran, Son of Gepidi, he understands the power of the rizten, etching them in flame and light like he does. Spoken words, for some can hold more power than any marking on wood or reeds." Alec ends and walks along looking for a Bow Crafter, trying to focus himself.

Alec considered that having Lette with him might be quite good. Alec might not have been as intelligent as some but he was smart enough to understand that almost every dealer tried to cheat him in some way. At first he was confused, until he watched closely and had learned more of the language of them. Lette was one of these people and thus would know what a true artesian would need for his goods.

Alec turned and looked at the food, most of these things were strange and had slightly sweet scents. Alec considered it foolish to even consider eating from these streets, a feast should be sat down and talked over, tales sung and glories relived. Not just gotten so meagerly and without meaning as it was here.

Thinking on that again, Alec added "Aye, it is a bit dangerous for desperate Farmers,but not such as us. We should all have a feast tonight. Food and Cheer should be enough to carry us through this next task. We will be out early tomorrow so only food should be there. It is important though to celebrate the blooding of two new warriors!" Alec claps Lor'el and Lette on the shoulder proudly. "Next battle I am sure you will be able to celebrate your first kill."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - Market

Well, it was never just one farm, Lette wanted to respond to the first question, but the observations that followed took the lead right promptly. "Um, I never really thought about it. It's just the way things were. She read a lot, even though we never had a lot of books. She'd borrow and resell them, whenever a trader passed our way or we'd take a crop into town."

She gaped at the casual reference to thievery and violence. "What, knifed?! Even in broad daylight?" She certainly hadn't detected malice in any of the people she'd met in the last few days. Of course, she was thoroughly inexperienced with Urbania on the whole. No excuse to be careless.

"...I'll bear that in mind."

She considered Lo'el's words. "Friends and family awaiting word from you with bated breath, how lovely! Must you deliver these tales in person, or will you be using couriers? Oh, or carrier birds! They're such fascinating creatures.

"If it's not private, may I ask how many you are in all?"

She shrugged at the northerner. "It may be that you know more than I do about the power of words, Mr. Alec. I only really know what I've been taught, I suppose. I'll say this, though: if all words can have a glammer, names must wear it brighter than most. They say that's why you can always hear your own name spoken, even quietly in a noisy room. Or in your heart, when the speaker is leagues away."

She winced at the notion that someone was excited to see her kill another in combat. She was, frankly, relieved that no such desire existed within herself.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 26, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - Market

"Our forests are very vast and it can be hard for anyone to locate the herd unless they know where to look. I imagine that any word I send would have to be delivered personally. And besides, the telling of new stories is a rare occasion in the herd and I would like to be the first to tell them face to face."

"There are..not many of us. I would estimate that the herd's numbers are less then one hundred. Conception in my people is not so easily achieved you see." He feels heat coming to his cheeks, still very much a child when it came to talking of such things. "It's because of our low numbers that so many fear leaving the safety of the herd. But, I suppose fear was never enough to stomp out my curiosity."

As Alec claps his shoulder, the faun simply nods. The inevitability of taking another life in combat was one he was so desperately trying to avoid thinking of, yet was one that always kept creeping in. Thankfully, the look on Lette's face showed she was just as uneager for it as he was. "A chance for song and dance before we set off sounds great." he says, trying to move the subject along. "In times like these, it is important that we take the chance for celebration whenever we can."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec laughs at the discussion and claps Lor'el on his shoulder again this time harder. "Believe me, it is hard enough when you have a large family. Maybe, you are the smarter ones, after all it is better than having too many." Alec whistles and smiles,trying to place too many nieces and nephews for him to remember. Then with a wince, he remembered his mother wanting grandchildren. "Ha! Like any woman of worth would give up glory this young to bear a child. What am I a Farmer?!" Alec thought to himself before continuing with Lor'el.

"Listen Lor'el, I'm sure on your quest, you will find something to help. After all what better than to save your people! Imagine the songs you will have woven of you! I have no clue how you could increase your herd, I am no Healer." Alec continued unembarrassed.

Alec has a sudden thought that he could try, but remembering the Healers command, restrains himself... for now. "Later, when I can rest, I would like to see your stones to throw, Lor'El. I think I may have a use for one or two."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf shrugs. "Well you probably don't have to worry about a knifing unless you did something to merit it, but that happens some time. Noah is pretty safe, but paranoia never hurts. And there are always places dangerous enough in the city that you'll be a target." Pausing, she winks. "Unless you have the gear to look scary." The talk about names merits another raised brow. "Guess I'm lucky I don't go by my name. I guess that explains the lack of effective curses."

Alec's contribution prompts a look of caution. "You people celebrate deaths? If you kill a man and celebrate, his shade will haunt you. It's a fact." Coughing she tries to change the subject. I'd she talked of ghosts, they might pay attention. "Anyways you need a bow, and I need caltrops. You know how to handle one? I assume all northerners do, then again I thought wizards were useful in battles until I met poor Dolan."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - Market

"I would not rely on finding a cure for such things, but who can say. Perhaps this journey will bless me and my kind in ways I could never hope to understand. Besides, new faunlings still steadily sprout up as regular as the seasons. My people can be very...persistent.. when the need for a child is desired." He says, cheeks reddening all the more.

"A use for my sling stones?" The northern man's customs seemed so odd even for humans. It was hard to imagine what he could need only a few stones for. "What for may I ask? If you intend to hunt, I am sure it would be wiser to wait until you are in a better condition for it."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec looks aghast "We would be celebrating the deeds not the dead! The dead have their own to greet them and care for them." Alec thought the woman is good to be wary of the dead spirits, but he had never heard of them doing anything but speaking to seers. He thought to himself that maybe Isit was consumed with her own Spirits more than any other spirits.

Alec looked a bit vague for once "Lor'el, I wish to see if I may use them to trick our next enemies, it is a simple matter, but takes some strength."

"Bows are used for children, for hunting and learning. I know some, not as much as a true Warrior of the Bow. It should suffice if we are need of it, or to hunt. It would be good to have it." Alec continued thoughtlessly to present company.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 26, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette nodded at Isit, giving the elf her full attention so as not to hear the suddenly-entirely-more-private-than-intended discussion about Lo'el's people. "Well... a name's a lot of things, but the most important one is the True Name, ma told me. For most it's pretty much their given name, but when you have a bunch of them, it's different. Um, but I don't remember how. Sorry.

"Oh! Here's the place, Lo'el! All along the side, here. See, that's like the one I got, just a different color. And archery supplies are past that cart over there." Her own bow had served her well, but if circumstance required one that could actually pierce armor, then so be it.

Failed Occultism roll!

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit shakes her head gravely. "Some dead envy the living, and are drawn to sounds of life like moths to the flame. It is not good to speak of this, but it is truth. Take care with your customs Alec." Waving her hand she dismisses the thought. "You need a bow, and the others require gear....and books. I think Lo'el has the right idea with his spear, but needs armor. Perhaps throwing weapons as well."

NoControl fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 26, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherus

Alec looks at the weapons with curiosity and picks a full sized bow and tests the string and the curve.

Though hardly an expert on bows, he had maintained his own for most of his childhood. A wave of nostalgia came over him as he remembered his first bow when he was just eight summers old, barely able to pull the string back he had practiced under the care of his parents.

Alec seemed satisfied with it, but put it down to examine a shoulder quiver, testing it, he liked how light weight it was and it would be able to fit along with his pack. He as looked at a few throwing daggers and considered them carefully how they were weighed in his hand.

Alec circled the stand slowly and wondered if the artesian would try to haggle with him as they had called it again. Alec was not good at it, and feared he would try to increase the price.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - Market

"I see." he says, nodding to the northman. "At least, I think I do. A combat trick with stones? I would like to see it, perhaps when you are in better health?" He turns to regard Isit. "I would certainly like to acquire some armor before we set off. I'll attempt to track down a blacksmith after we are finished here. I am, however, not well used to throwing weapons Lady Isit. I was the best at skimming stones across the lakes, but I doubt it is quite the same."

As Lette points out the various stalls they soon come to, the faun wanders over and starts admiring the various journals for sale. Nothing too fancy, just something sturdy enough to endure whatever journeys he might be set on. Thankfully, he still has some coin left over from the various nightly entertainment he had provided for the inn. He soon picks out a few like Lette's before darting his eyes around for some quills and ink bottles, tail swaying all the more as he starts to wonder what might end up written in these books.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci - Market

Alec hears Lor'El and it breaks his spell on the weapons "Yes, I will show you. I think weapons thrown might be useful as well, but these will be for you Lor'El, we will see if I can summon the strength." Alec walks back to the weapons and paces slightly not sure what he will do with his limited gold coins these peoples use.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - der Markt

Lette tries out several bows larger than her own. She could use either of these two simple ones comfortably, if she could endure some pecuniary discomfort. On that note, it seemed the composite bow was out, straightaway.

"Excuse me. How much would offer me for my shortbow?" Start simple.

Diplomacy 10. Just putting this here now so I don't forget.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Dolan studies the seat where the dead driver sat, committing its form to memory before writing the runes that would let him know what the seat knew. This time- albeit with an odd and unexpected slight rush of warmth in the back of the dwarf's head- the spell goes smoothly, and Dolan doesn't have any trouble forming the impressions he seeks. The initial taste is of panic, and old wood being driven harder than it was ever built to drive- the driver lashes the reins like a madman, sweating and red-faced. The thunder of many hooves other than the first is felt, and the familiar centaurs from before pacing the cart in a run, occasionally turning and demanding the driver halt. After a long few minutes trying to ignore the soldiers, the man clutches his chest in a spasm of agony and slumps to one side; the wagon begins to veer off the track to one side, only to see one of the centaurs move in and force the horses to remain on the track and not throw the wagon and its cargo on its side. The wagon slows to a halt, and though there's loud lamentations behind the driver's seat the area of spell effect cannot see; after a long pause, the centaurs take up the reins and prod the wagon on, one on each side, flanking the compliant horses to drive the wagon along.

History spell roll is an 8, success; 3 FP spent.

Martin finds the same guard headquarters without much difficulty, and the intrepid Corporal Gudjohnson intercepts him at the door. "Sir! Captain Dirksen let us know you'd probably be coming! We've been ordered to basically supply you with anything, leastaways assuming you aren't gonna ask for the city treasury or nothing!" The lanky lad lets loose a light, limp smile at his own lacking joke, but continues, "Not to worry about the dents in the armor, sir, those hammer right out and there's a busy blacksmith works just for us nowadays who's used to having to fix up armor what got nicked up in a scuffle! Course he also told me to let you know he didn't have anyone to spare to go with you this time since he's already going to be canceling all leave to get everyone ready in the coming times, is what he said sir."

Gudjohnson's words come out in rapid, staccato bursts as he guides Martin from room to room. "Plenty of field rations around sir but if you'll take it from me they're not worth much in a pinch, much better food for cheap in the markets most days. Horses we don't really have, just a few mules for carrying things, not much use for mounted guards in the city streets! Had to borrow to get what went out to go help you yesterday, speaking of they should be back any hour now mark me, the Captain sent some people from Rural Parts on them to be sure they didn't ride into a ditch as he says!"

Martin rolls a 5 on diplomacy, or a (before modifiers) 15 on his reaction roll to the guard on duty; either comes up with a Very Good reaction result, which basically means "Anything that isn't totally unreasonable" will be given freely, albeit with a signature to show who's signing it out. :v:

The others amble along the marketplace, loud noise and crowds pressing them together from all sides; as they go from chatter to shopping, particular stalls prove quite simple to find as banners jut out over the crowd with writing and unmistakeable pictograms depicting what that stall has on offer. The biggest bow salesman- who appears to be a dwarf standing on a stool with a robe long enough to conceal all but the bottom few inches of said stool- eyes Lette's bow warily, before chewing a few times and saying flatly, "40 gold, lass. 45 iffin you're lookin' to trade up."

SHOPPING!

By default, shopkeepers will be offering to sell things for 120% their list price in the books and will buy your stuff for 80% the list price (profit margins!). Haggling I'll handle with reaction rolls; note that if anyone has merchant skill, they'll be able to get a bonus on those reaction rolls. You could get a discount, or piss the merchant off enough he throws you out, especially if you're a filthy unwashed barbarian! You can either buy stuff- and within reason there's a lot that will be available in a growing town like Noah, just don't go nuts- or roll the dice and take your chances. NC- 'base' cost we'll say is 20$ per energy point to be used for a spell.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec leans over to Lette and whispers in her ear "This merchant likes you I think, I would be indebted if you would buy a regular bow for me. I of course would pay for it if you need the money." Alec steps back and starts looking at throwing daggers, and testing their weight in his hands.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 27, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Hmm," Dolan grunts as the vision fades. "Bloody mundane. Poor poo poo." Hopping down from the driver's seat, Dolan opens his logbook to a blank page.

quote:

33 kernång, 2412

Wagon investigation. One known civilian casualty. Driver of wagon dead from natural causes. Stress induced. Induced by centaurs.

He spits as he writes that last comment, then lets the book hang at his belt again. One casualty, so far. The vision indicated that there were people in the back of the wagon, as suspected, but that they could have all vanished without even a struggle... Climbing into the back of the wagon, he looks around the interior for anything overlooked by the others before Drawing another rune.

Gonna do some good old fashioned detective work on this one too. Search 11, per 12, History 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Oh! Sure," she nods. After some lengthy personal deliberation, Lette decides to go for broke, making an offer on a pair of bows. For herself, she chose a longbow, and seven arrows to fill out her hip quiver, with another few for Alec. By the end of the episode, she finds she has been cleaned out with surgical precision.

No sense holding back on key survival gear; that money isn't going to save your life in the field. Besides, she's on payroll, now... what a thing to be able to say!

Buy (at haggle rates):
Regular bow: $110
Longbow: $220
10 arrows: $22
(sub: 352)

Sell:
Shortbow: -$45

Total: $307.

Remaining cash after transaction: Exactly $0.

• Locked thread