Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec watches Lette buy the Bows and Arrows, he moves after her and points to a shoulder quiver. "I will take that and 3 arrows." Alec hands over 19 coins and uses his utility knife to cut about 2/10s from another coin to give to the shop keeper. Taking these with him, he follows Lette to the back of the shop and gives her 116 gold coins and uses the broken coin by cutting it to the half. He gives this to Lette and whispers his thanks lest the Artesian feel cheated by their comradeship.

Alec uses 19.2 coins to buy
1 shoulder quiver
3 arrows

Alec then gives Lette 116.3 gold to pay her back and obtains
1 Regular Bow
3 Arrows

141 Gold start:

5.5 Gold Remaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Continuing his search, Dolan moves to the back. A quick check reveals little that the faun hadn't already noted; a still heavy smell of unwashed bodies, but no possessions at all to leave any more concrete trace that anyone had ever been there. Delving back into the wagon's past, the runes again come easy with a surge of warmth behind Dolan's eyeballs. The past unspools, and comes to a halt in the middle of a crowd of people packed in like sardines wearing battered, torn rags- haunted looks on their faces, some clutching each other for support both physical and emotional as the wagon rattles on its bone-jarring pace. Desperation and terror hangs thickly in the air; a few people appear to be lost in prayer with head down and taking no heed of the outside world.

A cry from the front, and a veer of the wagon; after a few minutes of events already seen, the wagon slows, and silence falls. Centaurs loom in the rear of the wagon clutching swords, a pair already seen; in brusque language, they demand the refugees leave or suffer the consequences. All do- cowed, hungry, and miserable, whatever the soldiers will do to those who fail to comply seems not worth chancing. The centaurs seem to take pains not to actually hit or even touch the refugees, herding them with words and gestures away from Dolan's field of view. The rest is emptiness.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf watches the other buy a bow that was decent enough. Nothing like the heart breaker she had, but it would do. She wondered if Alec would try stabbing someone with it if push came to shove. Probably. Stepping over to a stall hung with arrows, Isit nods at a rather portly older woman. "Madam, I am looking to purchase any specialty arrows that you may have, bodkin might do. Perhaps magical ones as well if they are in stock."

Diplomacy 10
Magic spell was dumb idea (until I am rich), magic arrows better. Also looking for caltrops.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

Martin ponders Gudjonsen's words for a moment, trying to anticipate what the group would need without wanting to come off as asking for too much. He was, however, impressed by the guardsman's enthusiasm - and even more impressed to hear that they'd been ordered to supply the team with 'basically anything'. That was a sort of generosity he could certainly appreciate; times were dire, but to offer that kind of support to strangers was not an everyday thing, he imagined. He did not want to seem as though he was too obviously taking advantage.

"Well now, Corporal, I appreciate your help," begins Martin cheerfully as he looks over stacks of rations. "Even if you say they may not be too good, I imagine these are easy to carry and good enough on the march. If you'd be so kind to let us have what you can spare, I and the others would appreciate it." He strokes his chin - by now obvious as one of his go-to 'in deep thought' tells - then starts once more. "Arrows, as many as you can spare - a few dozen if you've got them. That'll be for hunting as much as anything else. I think the others that borrowed arms and armor this morning would like to hang on to that stuff for now as well. If you have spare blankets, that would be marvelous also."

"If you have good light armor too, that would be a help. We won't want anything too heavy I don't think, not for a job like this. And," adds Martin, "if you can spare a mule, that would be most appreciated. Will make hauling it all much less of a hassle, don't you think?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun holds his weapons awkwardly in one hand as he starts using the other to make a small pile of blank books, quills and ink bottles that he places in front of the stall keeper. He then pours some coins into his hand with a confused look on his face, suddenly realising he's never bought anything before and wishing one of his companions were here to help.
"Umm, hello there." he says, smiling innocently at the merchant. "I'm not all too sure how this works, but I'd like to buy these-" He then gestures to the small pile of supplies. "-with this." He then extends the pile of coin in his open hand to the stall keeper.

Can't seem to find exact pricing for writing equipment and books. So let's just say I'll spend whatever is necessary.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The vision fades, and Dolan mutters to himself. More centaurs even than they faced, it seemed. Probably a fair number if they were able to herd the refugees away. Even cowed, a panicked or desperate man might flee a single guard or a duo. Two more minimum. Still nothing he could use to track any of them though.

quote:

Refugees from first wagon taken alive. Direction unknown. Taken by centaurs.

He spits again. So that was it. The refugees were kidnapped for some unknown reason, taken to some unknown holdfast. So why did it feel like he was missing something? It was unlikely that there would be more evidence here but to stop looking would be... What? Was it the Turns pushing him to this or simply his own stubbornness? Growling and cursing under his breath, Dolan begins searching the second wagon. He needed time to recover and calm down anyway.

Casually searching the second wagon for 30 minutes to recover the FP spent (doctor's orders) then casting History AGAIN in the passenger area of the second wagon

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec thanked Lette again and then watched as Isit talked to the Artesian. Turning to Lor'El and Lette, Alec says "I think that I will look for the Lore Keeper of this town and ask him a question. I am not sure where that would be, but I will try the Tavern first unless either of you have met one in your stay?" Alec looks questioning at both of them itching at his bandaged arm absent-mindlessly.

Alec hefts his bow and quiver with his one hand over his shoulder and looks at the others.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"What in hell is a lore keeper? If there is one in town I've never heard of him."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

After lots of talking, pointing and general hassle, the faun manages to walk away from the stall with a small collection of blank journals and writing equipment. Mostly it all came down to simply holding his coin-filled hand out and letting the merchant pick the right amount from it. He then makes his way through the crowd over to the others, eagerly stuffing his new possessions into his bag with a smile.

"Lore Keeper?" he says, joining in on the conversation. The title sounded familiar. What was it the man had said before they had left earlier? A singer of tales and stories. "You mean someone who tells stories? You want information? I'm afraid I haven't taken the time to track any specific people down during my time here. I would imagine though that the tavern would be a good place to ask, it is a good place to find stories, I find. In a town as heavily populated as this, I am sure someone there would be able to help."

Gonna deduct $20 for the various writing gear purchased.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"You're welcome," Lette replied, turning over the partial coin in her hand. She shrugged. She'd seen money in worse shape accepted.

"Keeper? Of what kind of lore? You mean like a librarian? Or maybe a cleric?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec looks somewhat down hearted, does this mean that there are no Lore Keepers in this crazy place as well!? Alec tried again though and with care started to describe it lest it had another name. "What a Lore Keeper knows is the sagas or songs of the people and finds such things and keeps it. He does this so that if it is needed, the gifts of the ancestors are not lost. He would know secrets that might help my people or everyone. I know not what it would be called in your language."

Alec shifted his weight from one side to the next as though he was dodging some greater issue, though not with words.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette pursed her lips thoughtfully, turning her gaze down to the floor. With the same expression, she removed and carefully retied her headwrap, silent through the entire activity.

Finished, she looked back up and shrugged, finally giving up. "Sorry. Unless you're after a library or a museum, you've stumped me. And I don't know where either of those are. Or if this city even has a museum. Nearest one I know of for sure is Aegina."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He finishes stuffing the last of his books into his bag before running a free hand over his horns as he tries to make sense of Alec's words. "I'm afraid I can't be of much help either, but I'm sure a tavern or inn could give you some information. What is it you wish to learn exactly?"

The faun then trades his staff back to his free hand as he turns his head to look over the crowd at the rest of the market. "Thank you for showing me to the journals Miss Lette. I think I'll take the time to visit this blacksmith and see to some armor." He taps the breastplate he's still wearing with his staff. "I'm not all too comfortable wearing steel, even into battle." The thing had only seemed to weigh him down more then anything back on the road. "If any of you would like to join me, I'd be happy for the company."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - Market

"I don't know much about armor-smithing, except that it takes time. If you need to be measured and fitted, it may not leave us-... well, we can ask before we jump to conclusions. I had hoped to catch a glimpse of whatever Mr. Dolan was doing, too. If the smith needs very much of your time, I hope you won't mind if I go on ahead."

Lette - The "Palace" "Garage"

Rounding a bend, Lette spies the dwarven mage, absorbed in scribbling some notes and looking none too happy. Before she could offer a greeting, she was treated to a charming medley of sights and sounds: increasingly furious grumbling, a voluminous spitfall, and a sequence of oaths she wasn't even sure were in a language she understood.

She cleared her throat, wincing. "Hello. Have you found anything?"

Through NARRATIVE WIZARDRY I have displaced Lette in time. She is interacting with Dolan later on, while still hanging out with the others. Past Lette will vanish when the timelines align. Circle-circle, dot-dot, paradox shot, etc.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 28, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Well, if you buy the oldest man you can find in a tavern a drink, I'm sure he'll tell you everything you need to know about the superstitions of the area. Or just ramble about how things were better under the emperor."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci - Market of Despair

Alec spoke to Lor'el "I am looking for something to stop the horde." then he added mostly in reply to Isit "I do not take much stock in superstitions, but rather, the past."

Alec Cherusci - Tavern of Information

Alec nodded to each of them and then walked out, letting them get on with their shopping. Alec walked toward the tavern that he had met the others and nodded to the Tavern Keeper. "I am wondering if you might know of a Lor- I mean, a man who knows of the long past, and can tell me some things that might have been forgotten. Do you know anyone like that?"

I'd like to try diplomacy 9 with carousing 12 (since i have been there before and partied) to try to get some information from the bartender.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 28, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - Market

"Um... the past?" Libraries and museums still sounded like the ticket to Lette. Unless...

Lette followed him in.

Lette - Tavern (née Market)

Walking up behind Alec, she taps him on the shoulder, signalling him to lean in. Cupping a hand, she whispers: "I don't know if this city has a university, but that's where scholars tend to gather. Maybe ask about that? If Noah has one, it may have a historian. Or at least someone who knows one."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 28, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci - Tavern of Mystery

Alec listens to Lette and since she had been so helpful in the shop and getting into Lord Roland's Hall, Alec listened intently and spoke again "Like a una-vur-city or a His-Tor-ien?" to the Tavern Keeper. He tries to pronounce the strange words in his tongue and hopefully move forward with something that will help his quest.

I'd like to try diplomacy 9 with carousing 12 (since i have been there before and partied) to try to get some information from the bartender with this new found clarity.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 28, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - Tavern

Lette nodded encouragingly. "That's exactly right."

Whispering again: "Just remember: the first is a place, the second is a person."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan - Royal Garage (pronounced gair' awhj)

The dwarf looks back as he hears his name, and gestures towards the wagon. "Nothing, nothing, and more bloody nothing." He stalks over to the second wagon, giving the wheel of the first a small kick for farewell. "The driver's heart quit from fear. The passengers were herded away by the centaurs." He spits. "There must have been more than the ones we fought." With more muttering, he climbs up into the rear of the second wagon, searching what little there was to search; there weren't many places something could be hidden in a wagon like this. "So, what brings you here?" he asks without looking back.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci - Tavern of Ill Repute

Alec nods to Lette, so far she has been very helpful. She will make a fine Warrior yet, though she might have to harden her heart more than she imagines. He looks very intently at the Tavern Keeper waiting for him to reply.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 28, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - Ye Greate Royale Garage (pronounced g'aiv-lof-nretun)

"I was just wondering how you were, er, if you were using magic, that sort of thing? I mean, you must have — how else would you have known that?" She glanced at his notes. "I don't know much about it, but it's all very interesting!"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan - Ye Olde Car Holde

"Aye," Dolan says, looking under one of the benches. Nothing there but dust. "Magic, and more conventional means. I needed to recover anyway." Standing, he turns to look at Lette and cocks his head at her. "So what's your speciality anyway? No, let me guess. Empathy. Plant empathy. You strike me as an arbomancer."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
"Don't stock magic arrows," the shopkeeper avers. "Bodkin points though, got plenty!"

Alec earns a blank stare from the bartender, who stops polishing a glass to give Alec his full attention. In a slow, talking-to-children voice, he drawls, "Son, ah don't know if yew're not from around heeyah or a little touched in the haid, but ah reckon anything what's been forgotten ain't a thing what someone would remember on account of it bein' forgotten, y'heah? And I ain't knowing what it is you're meaning by long past, neithah."

As he clarifies, the barkeep sends Lette a flummoxed look, and adds, "Reckon the Mayor's got to have a historian, yah? Town ain't big enough for no fancified university learnin'."

Alec's diplomacy attempt fails, and the reaction roll is... middling.

The next spell, as Dolan moves on, starts normally... but the rush of heat behind Dolan's eyes somehow fails to come. Perhaps expecting it, perhaps for some other reason, but the runes crook over and fail to form properly, spoiling the spell before it can tell him anything.

Spell roll: Failed

The young corporal taps a grimy finger to his lips, eying Martin as he makes his requests. "Don't really stock arrows, got lots of bolts for crossbows though. Longbows don't get much use in a city sir! Everything else sounds like it won't be a problem to get you though!"

HEY WHO WANTS PRESENTS

So, my target rate of CP gain for the game is aroooound 1, 1 and a half CP per page, awarded at opportune downtimes and with adjustments for awesome; since this is the downtime between the first and second "missions", more or less, this seems a fine time to hand out 10 CP FOR EVERYONE!

In addition, I am now introducing the OPTIONAL RULE on page 347, influencing rolls with CP, with some edits:
-You can only influence one roll per IRL week. Before any roll of any kind, you can declare that you will spend a CP to improve the result of that roll. A critical failure will become a regular failure; a regular failure will become a regular success; a regular success will NOT become a critical success. A critical success will instead get Extra Benefits, shadowy and determined by me at my whim alone.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 28, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"That...well, that makes sense, really," said Martin, looking perhaps slightly surprised - as much at the fact that he hadn't thought of something like that as he was that they didn't have arrows to spare. "Well, we'll make do - I'm sure we can get arrows elsewhere. Anyway, if you can have the lot ready for us when we set out in the morning, we'll all come by on the way out of the city. Also, thank you very much for your help, Corporal. Good day, and keep up the good work," he says as encouragement as he turns to leave.

With most of his list taken care of at least, Martin heads to track down and regroup with the others to tell them the (mostly) good news and make sure they've not gotten into trouble.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - The Hansomcraft Dock

"Specialty? Um, no, not r-... well, at least I don't think I'm one of those. I really don't know. It's just this," she said, patting the lyre. "Sometimes, things happen while I play. Made a campfire on damp wood, once. Made clean water rise the ground, another — little spring, sort of. Even kept my camp clear on a buggy night, one time."

She raised the instrument, plucking a single string. "My gramma made it. I never really knew her, but you think she might've... bewitched it?"

[Bookkeeping edit: immediately after above CP award, spent 2 on Fast-Draw: Arrow, 1 on Fast-Draw: Knife

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 11, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Spreading her hands, Isit grins. "We cannot have everything. Worth asking though. Bodkin will do just fine." Selecting ten likely points, she doles out the woman's gold. "Fare you well, madam." Nodding her farewell, she looks around the marketplace. The others seemed to have wandered off on some errand or another. Hopefully they wouldn't get lost, or robbed blind. And she had other things to prepare for if they were going into the woods. Getting one more decent meal, for one. Maybe a light ale to help her sleep before bed.

Heading back to the "castle", she whistles upon seeing Martin. "Hey, Martin, how's your wounds. Got some bodkin points on account of the drat centaurs being armored. Think the others hared off after some weird north-man thing. Was talking about stories and such. Told him to look in the tavern for that, hah. They picked up decent gear though." Raising her eyebrow, the elf's arms cross. "Where you been?"

Spending 24 gold on 10 bodkin arrows, 479 gold left

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan - Hovercraft Launch Pad

"Ah, a Wilder then," Dolan says, sitting down in the rear of the wagon. Quite common, especially among humans. And elves. You do have the potential to be a mage. I can feel it in you. The instrument might be magical as well. May I see it?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - Moonbase Alpha, Craft Hangar

A Wilder? "I've never heard of it." She lifts the lyre's strap over her head and passes it to the dwarf. "Is that what you are?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 28, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Walking through the streets, Martin hears the elf's voice and stops. "Oh, hello there, Isit!" He was beginning to remember the names, now. That was good, he thought. "I was just looking for everyone on my way back from the guardhouse. They've got some food and blankets, armor, and a mule for us to borrow for the trip. I asked about arrows myself, but they seem to only keep crossbows around." He raised his hands and arms in a shrug, looking almost exaggeratedly bewildered.

"I feel fine, though. The healers did good work if I do say so myself." As if to emphasize the point, he moved to stretch one of his recently-repaired legs. "How about yourself? Is everything back where it belongs," he asks with a slight grin. "Oh, and how are the, ah, rural types handling the city? Have there been any problems, aside from wandering off and chasing legends?" He had been a bit concerned about their ability to adjust, especially the faun; and had he been witness to Lo'el's slight confusion over the matter of purchasing things he would have been simultaneously stricken with laughter and terror.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec is unfettered by the lack of help and instead thanks Lette and walks out quickly, he decides it must be because of his appearance and try to act less jovial and more serious.

Alec walks out of the tavern quickly, having tried to find out, and walks quickly to the "Palace" and enters. Alec quickly asks the Hallsman "Does this Hall have a His-Tor-Ian?" Alec stands rather looking horrific with blood stained clothing and a bandaged arm, his bow and quiver over his good arm and his intense stare at the man rather unnerving.

rolling some diplomacy 9 or something to get me some HIStory.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
(Prior) Lette - Tavern

Lette shrugs and follows Alec back out. Isit had already gone off, perhaps seeking her witch elsewhere. "Alright Lo'el," she says, watching Alec walk off back towards the palace. "Let's try our luck with that armor."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Armor might be good. I hope they have some groin armor, cause those centaurs seems to want to go after the boys. Heh, glad I'm a lady sometimes." She nods at the news about arrows. "Makes sense. Crossbows are easier to use for the untrained, like new guards. Also better in cramped quarters, and ambushes since your arm isn't holding the string." Shrugging, she pats her neck. "Mostly back to business. Least I didn't nearly get disemboweled this time. Damned if I don't hate knife fights."

The query about the other merits a chuckle. "They'll be fine. Alec is a little...well, conspicuous, but no one will mess with a big barbarian, even if he's asking nonsense questions. Lo'el, too, though his manner should keep him out of trouble. Lette's the best of the bunch in cities, but she seems more worldly. They'll all be fine unless they go into the wrong art of town. And I gave them a warning about knifings for good measure." Shrugging, she looks to the sky for signs of rain. "Listen, If I'm to go out into the wilds with you, I'd like to learn more. Like where the hell did you learn that fighting style, haven't seen the like in ages."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan - egaraG

Dolan chuckles. It's a small laugh, but it's there. "No. Not a Wilder. None of the Runepriests are, and-- And some of the people I learned with, some of them didn't take kindly to Wilders. Thought of them as low-born peasants being given something they didn't deserve instead of talented individuals with a gift." He takes the lyre, turning it over slowly and carefully in his hands. He reaches for one of the strings, but then pulls his hand back. "Not a lick of magic in it, lass. But that doesn't mean much." He hands the lyre back, then lifts his staff. "This has no magic in it either. The only magic used in this was to forge it. It is merely an aid to concentration, and a bloody fine weapon. Most Wilders need some kind of focus, some way to channel their abilities until they learn to do without."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Where did...where did I learn to fence? Is that what you're asking?" This time, Martin looked legitimately perplexed. It had never occurred to him that his style of swordplay would seem strange to others, but stopping to think about it, he supposed that perhaps it was uncommon in many places. And, in his head if not in reality, Martin was one of the best at his particular art, so he supposed that also could cause a bit of awe.

Still, to tell the story of his expertise required telling a bit about where he came from, and he was justifiably a bit unsure about that. He strokes his chin nervously, trying to figure out where to begin. "Well, I...my father was the baron of a landhold a ways south and east of here." He declines to be more specific. "I...grew up with some privilege. To learn the sword in this manner is of course the province of gentlemen and the nobility, and so I learned it that way too. I guess I was just better at it than most," he adds modestly, looking a bit proud of himself, even as uncomfortable as he is talking about the life he used to publicly lead.

"Then again you've some tricks of your own, if the last battle is any indication," he countered with a grin. Regaining a bit of his upper-class bravado, he continues speaking, a bit more loudly and quickly, almost like a salesman. "It's only fair that I shared my secrets first, m'lady, but it's only fair for you tell how you can draw a bow like that!"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette - A Twilit Grotto Under Aldebaran's Gaze

Low-born peasants. Her face fell at hearing a description of her theorized condition that came neatly bundled with all the baggage so few words could convey. "Well, it's not something I ever did before... before a few weeks ago, really. If it's a talent, it took its time to bloom. Is it something that can, um, run out?" She had been careful in the device's use, but it was never clear to her whether this was a limited quantity or something that, like a muscle, needed to be worked.

"Rune, like the symbol things? How does that work? Are they a focus, too? Or... are the symbols themselves magical?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 28, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit nods slowly, a noble, but not particularly lazy, as most of them were. "Well at least you did something useful with your skills." She stares at him for a moment before deciding not to press the issue further. His lands were likely lost like many others in the war. Probably was landless now, worse than death for many of his kind. "Me? I was in a skirmish unit in the war. My Sargent, Donnel, must have seen something in me, cause he trained me to use the bow. If I had stayed sword, I would have died quick-like. Got injured, was hired on to see to the law, and now I'm standing here."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan - A wretched hive of scum and villainy

"Run out? No, no no no. Making magic run out would be like... Like emptying the ocean with a bucket. There's so much power that Turns the whole world you could never use it all, and even if you did, when you let it go it would just flow back into where it was before. And yes, it can take time for the talent to manifest. I've heard of elderly people suddenly finding themselves able to use magic. I'm afraid I don't know a whole lot about Wilders though." He remembered asking these questions himself when he was first learning. The sheer scope of it all when he was a child had fascinated him. It was almost nostalgic to talk about it again.

"Oh, now that's a complicated question, lass. Bloody complicated indeed." He pauses, thinking for a moment. "It would take years to explain properly, but-- Imagine a game, a game with sets of rules that are written down, but in a language you don't know. The only way to learn the rules is to watch the game being played, and to deduce them. Now imagine you want to change the rules, but the only way to do that, is to change what is written. But remember, you don't know the language. By making educated guesses, you can cross out symbols, or move symbols around, or change the symbols that are there, or make up new symbols.

"That is what the runes are. Thousands of years of trial and error, guesswork, and observation. Some people say they aren't magical, because they're just changing the rules of the world that already exist. But I say if that is not magic, then what is?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - From Tavern to Blacksmith to Guardhouse

He stays close and mostly quiet as he, Lette and Alec make their way through the streets to the tavern. As he watches Alec question the bartender, he realises that he has just as little a clue about where to find a historian or university as the northerner does. The only difference being that he knew what the words meant from various books and stories.

After exiting the tavern and saying his farewells to Alec, the faun turns to Lette. "Thank you for the offer Miss Lette, but if you wish to continue on then I won't want to waste your time. After the blacksmith, I intend to stop by the guard house for another matter, so I may be some time. I think I am getting used to these streets anyway, letting my ears guide the way seems to do the trick and I can hear the sounds of smith work coming from this direction." He says, pointing down the crowd-filled street. Although the sound was distant, even to his fine-tuned ears, it was still a distinctive sound to easily follow. "I'll return to the inn once I'm finished, we can meet there later?"

Regardless of whether Lette follows or not, he soon starts back through the crowd, following his ears to the blacksmith as they easily pick out the sound over the noise of the people around him. Upon reaching the wondrous looking smithy, the faun marvels at the forge for a moment before turning his attention to a large table of armor nearby. Something light, leather perhaps, that could help stop a reasonable blow, but was also light enough to allow him to move freely. After some more rummaging, he picks out some reasonable looking armor for his build and starts the lengthy process again of sorting the right amount of coin for it all. It was good practice though, he kept telling himself.

He straps on his brand new armor, giving a satisfied smile after testing the movement of his body with it all on. He felt far more comfortable with it all on then he ever did with the steel breastplate, that was now stuffed halfway into his bag. Saying his thanks and farewells to the smith, he makes his way across town again to the guardhouse. He finds himself having to stop and ask directions from the passing crowd far too many a time, most of them seeming to quickly dart away from him after pointing out the right way. It would no doubt take some more time before the people became used to seeing such a strange creature walking down their streets.

He soon enters the guardhouse after eventually finding his way back, stepping through the front door and soon locating the red-headed Gudjohnson who'd delivered the sling stones to him earlier. "Hello again." He says, before working the breastplate out of his bag. "I thought I would return this to you, I'm afraid the bulk and weight of it aren’t something I feel at all comfortable with in battle. And sadly, our attackers seemed more interested in my arm then my chest." He lets out a small chuckle as he passes the borrowed breastplate back to the man. "Whilst I am here, I was wondering if you kept the maps of the area we will be travelling to? If so, then I'd like to study them and make notes now if possible."

Buying:
1x Studded Leather Skirt, groin + legs DR 3/2* $62 4.lbs
1x Leather Gloves, hands DR 2* $36 0.lbs

Total: $98

Cash Remaining: $651

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
(Prior) Lette - Market

"Oh. Very well, then." She walked with the faun as far as the smith, then bid him farewell, turning instead to see how Dolan's investigation was faring.

And that concludes the trans-temporal narrative. Stable time loop created.

• Locked thread