Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"I'm inclined to agree," Dolan says. "Normally I'd be in favor of surveillance, but we're too high profile here, and the rest of you likely lack the skill set we'd need anyway. In this case, the only thing we can do is wait and hope. I can't imagine the queen is going to receive help from our enemies, so we have that advantage for now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Well, maybe not the only thing. That is, speaking of our enemies: the Eagles have been quiet since the attack, but I figure they must have something up their sleeve for the summit, to say nothing of what'll follow. They're probably preparing. And I expect they think we're girding our loins here. And they drat sure don't know we know their haunts.

"Maybe it's high time to do some hunting."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin

"Hmph. I still have my doubts. Whether he's not himself or he struck a deal, if he has been compromised somehow it calls into question whether he still will run things for the good of all," Martin counters with a shake of the head, before adding more calmly, "But we could go back and forth on that for days, which is no good. And if he is still in his right mind then we are wasting time."

He pauses, Lette's suggestion hanging in the air. Perhaps causing appropriate chaos for their enemies was a better use of everyone's time. If everyone was so convinced of their mutual talent for ruination - perhaps not without reason - why not turn that in a worthy direction? "Perhaps the Eagles do deserve further...attention," says the Baron. "More allies would be well enough but I doubt there is time; we have exhausted our options in-theatre rather well. But the Eagles are a threat we may well be able to sink our teeth into."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"We can't know that, and that's why we can't act. There's no clean way to deal with him right now, and I don't like dirty work." He turns to Lette, and perhaps grins at her suggestion -- it's difficult to tell behind his beard. "Yes. Some hunting might be a good start. Which means we must choose our grounds. Thoughts?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Lo'el left us that map. Our time is short, so we should pick a plot that looks important and relatively close. And by 'pick,' I guess I mean 'see if there even is'; these aren't exactly anthills." She hadn't counted how many points Lo'el had marked, but it hadn't seemed like a lot at the time.

"We should close on them like a noose. Every arrow poisoned, every escape route trapped."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She arches an eyebrow. "Does anyone ever rule for the good of all?" Turning to Lette, she nods. "Larisa can help with the poisons bit. Then they might off themselves even if they do survive..." Wincing, she holds her hands up. "That sounded bad. What I ment is that I can vouch for how effective poisons can be. Might as well work for us for once?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Yeah. It was pretty miserable, and I didn't even have to deal with it as long as you did. Still, from what we've seen, this lot is hard to take down. Martin had to all but-... ugh, that was awful. But what I mean is, as strong as that poison is, they're not going to let us wait around for hours for it to take effect. We'll need the fastest-acting juice we can get. Larisa, any ideas?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"I suppose most fall short of the ideal, but that hardly means there is no cause for worry. Anyway." Martin looks off down the waterfront. "If we are going to do this, we will need to observe one of their hideouts for a spell. Make note of their comings and goings and so on. Suppose I cannot complain much about not fighting fair, since they certainly were first to that particular indignity," notes the Baron, as if justifying it to himself. "In any case that will allow us to set things up for the best effect. And of course we will need to be ready to fight in case anything goes wrong. Now that we know how tough they can be it will at least make it less of a surprise."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"How long a spell? I don't know that we have long enough to identify patterns, assuming any exist. Plus, they're drat good scouts. I can get around outdoors well enough, but I dunno if I'd trust myself not to get made on a long recon. Dolan and I can feel around from a ways off, at least..."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I'm also guessing the Eagles might know what we look like. We might want to farm out any recon we do. Beggars and orphans will work for work for cheap fortunately. Plus if they're any good we can cultivate them in the future."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
The Eagle map, saved by Lo'el, is helpfully held up from somewhere deep in their packs by a burrowing fae looking hopefully for more alcohol. There's little information about what safehouses might be more important than others explicitly, with all locations marked by similar notations, at least on the copy they have. What's worse, there's only one in Noah proper, with the rest scattered around the region- most only a few hours travel away at most, though. Usually they're well out of the way to boot. Inside the city, the indicated place is a completely nondescript two story building that looks big enough to have a few different residences inside it.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Well, hey! Spared that trip, maybe we'll have time to observe first, after all. Dolan, whaddya say? Shall we have a poke at it? You can use that spell you used to listen in on the cultists. And I can... try something different. That one was awkward for me. In fact, um..."

She casts her gaze around for the nearest eatery, anything with a well-stocked larder, preferably away from main thoroughfares. "Be right back," she says, hurrying off in that direction, brandishing her lyre and beginning to hum a quiet little tune to herself.

Since we haven't slept yet, I imagine we're somewhere in the midst (or just past) sunset by now. That makes this the perfect time for Lette to go behind a food place and look for a jolly little rat pal. :3

Animal Handling: Rodents would only default to a measly 9 (including Animal Friend talent), but Animal Empathy also entitles me to try Diplomacy 11 to get it to come along for a ride, in addition to the IQ roll I get to sense the degree to which each rat I spot is willing to interact. So: find friendliest/keenest rat, and invite it on a ridealong.

Will also use Musical Influence 11 to project a calm and friendly mood at it, and I will make use of some tempting rations (only a teensy bit, as it ought to keep its appetite!) for whatever bonus they're worth.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 23, 2014

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Taking the map, Isit hands Larisa her flask of whiskey. It wasn't quite a favor that merited kaht, but hard liquor would do. "Oh boy. Who wants to bet that the moment we try and raid that place, they start killing children in the building. Course, we'd likely hit them anyways. I dunno. Maybe we can bribe someone to watch their comings and goings. And poison them."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Once Lette begins playing her turne, it's not very long at all before a few rather haggard looking rats poke their noses out of a large crack in the wall, sniffing; as soon as one sees the crumbs on the ground, it totters over with a few sidelong looks at the human woman nearby, and then cheerfully vacuums up the bit of the rations Lette offers without apparent fear.

Since the first 3d6 I rolled was a 5, it is an academic question exactly which skill you're using, so! :v:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"We already have a few extra sets of eyes working for us, easy enough to redirect them. And I expect the destitute or refugees would stand the best chance of escaping our quarry's notice," says Martin, referring to his prior spreading around of coin-for-surveillance. "So the question, then, is..."

He stops suddenly as Lette just as suddenly wanders off. "Or there's other options, I suppose," he says.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

After a minute or two, Lette returns with a crooked little grin and a new pal cradled in one arm, munching on a bit of bread crust. Still humming, she gives the rat a small pat.

"Aww, who's a little cutie?"

She glances up. "Isit, can you give me a hand? I need some of those arrows we took from them. And if Asha left the sword behind, that too. It had that leather grip, and she barely touched it... or if we have any other bits of armor or wrappings from our fight. Hurry, he's being very well behaved, but I don't think it's a guaranteed th- nope, he pooped a little. drat it. You're a little stinkbutt, yes you are," she coos. "I'm overdue for a bath anyway."

With the collection assembled, Lette moved the rat over the goods and presented them for inspection. "See these? They have LOTS of smells, yes. Sniff, sniff!" She cups a free hand over its ears, conspiratorially, pointing it towards the house. "Find those smells in that bigpeople nest. Food. Lots food behind those smells. In there. Find them."

She puts it on the ground, still facing the house. With any luck, the rat won't be deterred like the bird had been, as much due to a lack of extraplanar interference as to a rat's inborn certainty that he has every right to be wherever he happens to be.

"Dolan, got those ears ready?"

Once it's clear the rat is starting on his way, will do the Rider Within thing, as with the birdie before. Costs 1 WT and 2 FP, free to maintain, effective skill 20. I will use my magic sense to try to suss out if anything strange happens during his visit. Per 14, IQ 13.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 24, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan grins slightly at Lette's ingenuity. She was human, but she had talent and some ideas on how to use it. This just might work. "Right then, let's find a nice safe place to watch from. We don't want to be too close if they catch on. That building back there might do well."

Far-Hearing 18

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf holds and arrow out, and eyes the rats skeptically. "Well, This is definitely weird enough for me to roll with. Here you go Detective Whiskers."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Detective Whiskers sniffs approvingly at the air as he's patted, peering around with beady eyes at the others but seemingly feeling secure enough in Lette's hand to not have enough fear to flee. Set down, it's no time at all before Lette is able to take in the distorted, wide-field-of-view of a rat's eyes and more importantly the smells of the world at ground level. Doing nigh exactly what Lette wants, the rat scurries into the house they've found with Dolan keeping an attentive ear on the surroundings. The rat finds... nobody home at present, though there's enough signs of (FOOD) recent occupation (CRUMBS) and- more importantly to Lette, though not to the rat- cleanly maintained weapons and armor in cabinets to show that someone is probably up to no good. The house seems deserted, though, and neither Dolan nor Lette sense anything amiss.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Place is bare. Except for the weapons and armor, ooh. Nice ones, looks like." Lette rustles through their pack, pulling out a big old hunk of stale cheese. She draws her hood. "Our little investigator ought to have a present. And I'd like to leave a different present for the cache's owners.

"So we've got a few choices, here. I think I might be able to set a trap to cook them alive, for one. Then I come back out and we play the waiting game. Or, maybe we should all just ambush them inside?

"Any thoughts?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 31, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Sounds like a good idea," Dolan mutters quietly, still focusing hearing anything that might be inside. It was silent but for some scurrying; a good sign. "We'll need to be sure there aren't any traps already there, though. See anything suspicious? You might not be able to see magical residue through the rodent's eyes. Might have to get a bit closer."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Fire might trap some of them inside. Of course, depending on how you do it, those that make it out will be aware something has been done so to speak. They will be wary." His grin does not seem to show any worry - indeed, it's almost as if he hopes the trap only works just well enough that he can end an Eagle or three himself. "Let them be wary. I hardly think it is fighting fair, but this is war, and in any case they never fought fair from the start." And it was at least marginally fairer than the poison, at any rate.

"Of course..." Martin thinks a second. "If there's anything of value in there - secrets of theirs - fire might risk destroying it. Of course they are also probably smart enough not to leave such things lying around." He shrugs. "In any case, something proving who they really are would be good to have after we are done. I am sure the townsfolk would love to see proof of their attackers being brought to such justice."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 1, 2014

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Good point. If I see paperwork, any of those messed-up arrows or something with an insignia, I'll grab it. Now I just need a way in. Doubt it's unlocked, but I could try. I just want to spend as little time visibly near the building as I can."

She scratches her head. "I don't know any spells for this, and I think my idea could be taxing on its own. Anyone good with this sort of thing?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Well." He grins a bit more widely. "Magical fire aside, the rest of this plan is not entirely unfamiliar to me. I can be unseen and unheard, with care. And locks are little obstacle either. So, if you need to get into that place without being seen, Lette, I may well be able to provide, and help deal with any traps." Suddenly he stands straight, and Martin in stature and face looks almost a decade younger.

"Though I suppose," he says after turning to Dolan, "assistance of a magical sort will not be refused." Martin pauses then, looking off towards the structure that held their quarry. Then, with a look at Isit, he says: "And I am not the only one given to stealth, and I could use someone to cover me and keep me safe. As you did the last time we faced these sorts, dear."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"We should have people on lookout, too — make sure we're not being followed or watched. So, Martin's with me. Maybe one more at most, for three or four sets of eyes outside. Any other ideas, say 'em now or hold 'em; no telling how long we got."

Stealth & Traps 12 if we're going. More to follow when/if we make it in. Per 14. Magic detect 14/13 for sense/analyze.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 2, 2014

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Before you go in, I should try and set up with a view of the entrance. As a sniper. Larisa can help with another exit, and Dolan can cover me. Or try and block any spells." Sighing, she rubs her eyes. "I'm not sure this won't be trapped to hell and back. Least with me set up, I can take out hostiles. I'd open the windows when you enter though. Make my job easier." Pausing, she nudges her pack. "Got any poison? That'd be fun."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"I am not sure either," says Martin. "But, I'll not be unaware of traps if there are any. And I trust you to pin down any who might harry us." He touches his lips with one hand as he looks at Isit, then winks. "Assuming I cannot bring down any such devils myself, that is."

With that, he nods to Lette as he steps forth. "If we are doing this, then let's not delay."

Stealth 14. Traps 11, 14 with Single-Minded if it comes up. Let's do this poo poo. Also Lockpicking 13, or 16 with Single-Minded.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 4, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"I'll be far more useful inside," Dolan says. "It's highly unlikely that they'll leave anything important just lying around, but I have ways of finding them." He quickly scratches a pair of runes then, nodding to the others, makes his way to the door of the building as if he owns the place.

Casting Detect Magic and See Secrets, both at 18. Stealth 12.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I guess Larisa and Skoll are my back up then. Have fun."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Putting the plan into motion, Larisa quickly finds a nice elevated roof to take up a perch on; it has a good view of the front door of the Eagle safehouse at least, and a decent view of the street leading up to it. While Larisa takes the opportunity to sprawl out and get some sunbathing in, Skoll stays a bit more attentive to the situation and certainly seems to help Larisa keep watch. The others make their approach; Martin, acting for all the world as though he has every right to be exactly where he is, simply strides up to the front door, quickly and quietly unlocking it; seems as though the Eagles didn't bother much for advanced security. Lette and Dolan follow him inside. The house is a bit musty, with some dust in unused corners and a faint dirty laundry whiff in the air that Det. Whiskers wasn't qualified to notice too much. Deserted but not abandoned; from the look of things, it's been at least a day since anyone had set foot inside. With that knowledge Martin begins carefully probing for traps, and finds... several. The first one is a particularly unpleasant surprise, with a hair-thin tripwire that fires a long barbed crossbow bolt at knee height. Apparently the Eagles were interested in having anyone who broke into their home alive for questioning. With that as a reminder of the kind of minds they were facing, the party moves deeper in, seeking secrets. Other traps are spotted- some magically, some with the mundane arts of a burglar, all well concealed but not extremely well concealed. None are sufficiently spectacular to damage the house, or even likely fatal, and though some of the blades involved glisten with poison they seem unlikely to be lethal ones. The other half of the search turns up less. Though there are quite a few swords, axes, and pieces of armor carefully hung up in closets- and all of good quality- there aren't any of the special arrows seen before, and the Eagles are indeed not inclined to leave incriminating paperwork about the house. Once inside, there aren't any locked boxes or anything similar, at least none that the three working together can find for the life of them.

On the street, Isit abruptly sees a nondescript man in a brown, plain cloak freeze halfway down the street looking at the safehouse; pausing half-stride and looking intently at the safehouse, after a second of delay he turns and very quickly heads down an alley, rounding a corner at high speed and getting out of the sniper's view.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Ouch," she whispers, peering at the crossbow in particular. "Alright. Let's start heading back out, before anyone gets wise. I'm gonna try out that idea; be right behind you."

In a sense parallel to her own, she could still see through her rat pal's eyes. She squats down in the armor room and beckons him, stowing the rations under the cupboard nearest the door. "Right here, buddy. Just keep an eye open, okay?"

Choosing a spot best suited to ruin the day of someone investigating their inventory, Lette plucks a few notes, muting the strings with her other hand; it's a song that didn't need to resound just yet. Once the last pluck faded, she hurries after the others, leaving the building otherwise exactly as she found it.

I figured out how to set a halfway decent magic trap without killing myself on an enchantment! Using last Wild Talent for the day to cast the metamagic Hang Spell (effective skill 20) along with my known Create Fire (ES 18). FP cost will depend on the area, but I'm not sure how spacious this place is exactly. I am thinking a 3- or 4-yard radius (5 or 7 FP, respectively) should suffice for most room sizes. Positioning it so they'd need to cross the full diameter of the burning area to exit the room -- or maybe jump out a window, into our blades.

Maintaining my Rider Within spell for free, and I'll use the rat's perceptions to determine the best time to spring the trap.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Nothing..." Dolan mutters. it was much as he had expected, not as he had hoped. Any communiques had likely been burned or otherwise destroyed immediately after being read. No records of any of their activities left anywhere. He couldn't have honestly said he expected to find anything, though, but it would have been nice. The Eagles were trained well, it seemed. Leaving that avenue, he watches as Lette leaves her surprise behind, grinning slightly. Not the most explosive, but certainly effective. When she finishes playing, he nods wordlessly to the door and peers away down the street before hustling out with the others. So far it looked as if they hadn't been detected.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Hmph. I had hoped there would be something more here," Martin mumbles, thinking out loud as they survey everything. Getting in had been almost frightfully easy; but for the first time in quite some time, Martin felt like he was playing on his own turf, moving with ease and poise. That poise and care helped with the traps, as well. Yet there was unfortunately little to do but set their own trap and get out again. No new knowledge, no nothing - but then, all their enemies had been playing this game and planning for it far longer. Better then to be unpredictable, chaotic. Which seemed to be Lette's thought as well, and though he cannot place what exactly it is she plans, Martin can only assume it to be to his liking, and he nods approvingly.

"At least," he whispers as they quickly sneak away, "our enemies will find something more."

PER 12 to make sure nothing pops out at us or whatnot.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Narrowing her eyes at the man, Isit has to pause a moment before deciding what to do. Picking up a small pebble, she tosses it towards Larisa's perch and gestures for her sister to come over.

For the sake of streamlining the process, this is what Isit wants to do. She'll tell Larisa not to enter, but to try and warn the others that someone knows they are there. Then she will try and follow the suspicious guy from the rooftops.

Shadowing 13
Stealth 13

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The infiltration continues to go just as planned, with Lette picking the bedroom whose closets have the most weapons in them as the most likely room to house someone of importance; it's a modestly sized room, with the trigger being carefully placed in front of the closet door to cause the most surprise. With that accomplished, the penetration team makes good their escape, but right outside the door are met with a worried-looking (and a bit unsteady) Larisa floating nearby. Ushering Martin over to one side, the fae whispers, "Isit says you've been made. Someone knows you're here- she's chasing them." She points, just in time for the others to see Isit leaping over an alleyway in hot pursuit. The buildings are far enough apart, however, that she has a wretched hell of a time trying to follow the man without being seen by half the city in awkward pinwheeling jumps, and after a few turns the man disappears into the market where- even with fewer people than months ago- he rapidly blends into the crowd to the point where he'll be a hard person to find.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

He doesn't say a word - nor did he need to, given the report. Part of him yearned for a chance to test steel against the self-proclaimed defenders of Ardan's vision - but they were not here, and the trap would be wasted to wait for them. All he does is nod in response, then motion subtly with both eyes and hand towards the line of buildings Isit had vaulted over.

And before waiting for a response, he is walking - briskly, but nonchalantly as if nothing was wrong - in that direction. Their quarry would return; search to see what was disturbed, muster, and be obliterated. Those that remained would meet the four that remained of their enemies.

The hunt is on.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Well of course they know," Lette grumbles. hoping to all the gods that Isit can manage to put an arrow through his knee before he gets too far.

Still, this affords Lette the chance to dip back into that room and grab a small article. In this case, a belt. No reason, really.

Something for Skoll to sniff. Also to string up Mr. Fleetfoot McAssholeTiming.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Ugh. For gently caress's sake." Listing a little from her last jump, Isit stares after the man for a moment before looking for a way down. She sure as gently caress wasn't going after him alone, bit she didn't want to lose him in the crowd. Swearing, she looks for the others. At the very least Skill or one of the others would be useful in tracking the man.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan mutters a few choice curse words usually reserved for summoning lesser demons as he hurries to catch up to where he saw the elf leaving. No luck on finding anything in the house, AND their trap would be utterly useless once the eagles knew their safehouse had been compromised. If they were smart they'd have some sort of way to signal each other, and the rest of the safehouses were likely going to be piles of ash in the next few minutes, whether or not they caught this one. Still, catching him might lead to some information, if they could track him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Skoll eagerly sniffs the belt and, understanding what it is she's meant to do, takes off immediately; however, Skoll's nose seems to be telling her that the scent trail leads in the opposite direction that the mark actually went, heading back towards the piers nearby where it disappears at the end of one; either whoever owned that belt jumped in the river or on a ship at some point in the relatively recent past. Either way, it appears to not be who bolted from the safehouse; Isit continues to keep an overwatch on the market, but can't quite pick out anyone matching who she saw leaving through any of the exits in her field of view.

• Locked thread