Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Words may change, but the meaning often stays the same. Do not worry about the wash. As you say, I am sure the inn can provide." As the mayor starts to return to his own tasks, the faun joins his hands as he turns to leave the room. "Thank you for these words. We will be sure not to fail you in this journey."

Cold water, he mentally notes to himself as he gathers his pack and staff and begins exiting the room, the movement of his legs suddenly alleviating most of the itch from his flanks. Hopefully the inn would have a decent place to wash. The idea of leaving the city walls to simply find a stream did not sound like an appealing one.

He looks out a nearby window and eyes the sun's position in the sky, having found his perception of time askew after the day's hectic events. Finding he still has plenty of daylight left to prepare, the faun starts to think on what he should see to first. Soon deciding, he turns to Lette.
"Miss Lette, would you be free to show me to this journal merchant? I can imagine that navigating these crowded streets will be much easier by having someone else along."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He pauses outside of the room for a moment to properly strap on his pack before grabbing both spear and staff. "Yes, that seems perfect." he says, regarding Lette's journal. "Something to simply take quick notes will be just fine. Then I can worry about putting them into proper stories when we find ourselves back in the city." He turns to regard Alec and Isit himself before they leave. "I would also be blessed if you would join us Lady Isit and Sir Alec. If we are to make this journey together, then perhaps we should make preparations as such."

Soon leaving the building, the faun keeps close to Lette as they move through the city streets. "These foods." he says, eyeing the various stalls as they pass through the market. "I have not seen many of them before. I have to say, most do not appear very flavoursome. Perhaps-" He turns back to Lette, after eyeing the stalls, to find the girl no longer standing next to him. Darting his sight around quickly, he soon spots her next to a nearby stall and breaths a sigh of relief as he trots back over to her.
"As I say, navigating these streets is not something I am used to." He looks over at the stall next to them and curiously eyes the meat for sale. "What sort of meat is this?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Ahh I see. I have never seen it so strangely presented before. It certainly is remarkable to come to these places and find food so readily prepared to eat." He raises his eyebrows as Lette seems to act strangely, following her gaze to the stall owner, who seemed to be staring quite intently at Lo'el's legs with a strange look in their eyes. "Umm, noodles." he says quickly following after Lette. "I read of them in a basic culinary book after I arrived, but haven’t been able to spot them yet. Made from dough if I'm not mistaken." He spares one more glance to the stall owner, his ears twitching nervously as their eyes never seem to leave his lower half.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - Market

"Everything is so new to me that I find it difficult to let the smile fade. I had dreamed of seeing places like this since I could first understand the stories told to me and read them for myself."

He stares off too for a moment. "I am the first in a very long time to ever leave the forests of my birth. My people have such a natural fondness for song and stories of all kinds. And out here-" He raises his arms, gesturing to the sounds of the city that surround them. "Out here, there are so many to hear that I fear I will not be able to keep track of them all without writing them down." He then smiles broadly. "I plan to keep notes so that I may eventually turn them into stories of my own experiences in this vast world. With the hope that one day, I will be able to share them with the herd."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - Market

"Our forests are very vast and it can be hard for anyone to locate the herd unless they know where to look. I imagine that any word I send would have to be delivered personally. And besides, the telling of new stories is a rare occasion in the herd and I would like to be the first to tell them face to face."

"There are..not many of us. I would estimate that the herd's numbers are less then one hundred. Conception in my people is not so easily achieved you see." He feels heat coming to his cheeks, still very much a child when it came to talking of such things. "It's because of our low numbers that so many fear leaving the safety of the herd. But, I suppose fear was never enough to stomp out my curiosity."

As Alec claps his shoulder, the faun simply nods. The inevitability of taking another life in combat was one he was so desperately trying to avoid thinking of, yet was one that always kept creeping in. Thankfully, the look on Lette's face showed she was just as uneager for it as he was. "A chance for song and dance before we set off sounds great." he says, trying to move the subject along. "In times like these, it is important that we take the chance for celebration whenever we can."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - Market

"I would not rely on finding a cure for such things, but who can say. Perhaps this journey will bless me and my kind in ways I could never hope to understand. Besides, new faunlings still steadily sprout up as regular as the seasons. My people can be very...persistent.. when the need for a child is desired." He says, cheeks reddening all the more.

"A use for my sling stones?" The northern man's customs seemed so odd even for humans. It was hard to imagine what he could need only a few stones for. "What for may I ask? If you intend to hunt, I am sure it would be wiser to wait until you are in a better condition for it."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - Market

"I see." he says, nodding to the northman. "At least, I think I do. A combat trick with stones? I would like to see it, perhaps when you are in better health?" He turns to regard Isit. "I would certainly like to acquire some armor before we set off. I'll attempt to track down a blacksmith after we are finished here. I am, however, not well used to throwing weapons Lady Isit. I was the best at skimming stones across the lakes, but I doubt it is quite the same."

As Lette points out the various stalls they soon come to, the faun wanders over and starts admiring the various journals for sale. Nothing too fancy, just something sturdy enough to endure whatever journeys he might be set on. Thankfully, he still has some coin left over from the various nightly entertainment he had provided for the inn. He soon picks out a few like Lette's before darting his eyes around for some quills and ink bottles, tail swaying all the more as he starts to wonder what might end up written in these books.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun holds his weapons awkwardly in one hand as he starts using the other to make a small pile of blank books, quills and ink bottles that he places in front of the stall keeper. He then pours some coins into his hand with a confused look on his face, suddenly realising he's never bought anything before and wishing one of his companions were here to help.
"Umm, hello there." he says, smiling innocently at the merchant. "I'm not all too sure how this works, but I'd like to buy these-" He then gestures to the small pile of supplies. "-with this." He then extends the pile of coin in his open hand to the stall keeper.

Can't seem to find exact pricing for writing equipment and books. So let's just say I'll spend whatever is necessary.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

After lots of talking, pointing and general hassle, the faun manages to walk away from the stall with a small collection of blank journals and writing equipment. Mostly it all came down to simply holding his coin-filled hand out and letting the merchant pick the right amount from it. He then makes his way through the crowd over to the others, eagerly stuffing his new possessions into his bag with a smile.

"Lore Keeper?" he says, joining in on the conversation. The title sounded familiar. What was it the man had said before they had left earlier? A singer of tales and stories. "You mean someone who tells stories? You want information? I'm afraid I haven't taken the time to track any specific people down during my time here. I would imagine though that the tavern would be a good place to ask, it is a good place to find stories, I find. In a town as heavily populated as this, I am sure someone there would be able to help."

Gonna deduct $20 for the various writing gear purchased.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He finishes stuffing the last of his books into his bag before running a free hand over his horns as he tries to make sense of Alec's words. "I'm afraid I can't be of much help either, but I'm sure a tavern or inn could give you some information. What is it you wish to learn exactly?"

The faun then trades his staff back to his free hand as he turns his head to look over the crowd at the rest of the market. "Thank you for showing me to the journals Miss Lette. I think I'll take the time to visit this blacksmith and see to some armor." He taps the breastplate he's still wearing with his staff. "I'm not all too comfortable wearing steel, even into battle." The thing had only seemed to weigh him down more then anything back on the road. "If any of you would like to join me, I'd be happy for the company."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el - From Tavern to Blacksmith to Guardhouse

He stays close and mostly quiet as he, Lette and Alec make their way through the streets to the tavern. As he watches Alec question the bartender, he realises that he has just as little a clue about where to find a historian or university as the northerner does. The only difference being that he knew what the words meant from various books and stories.

After exiting the tavern and saying his farewells to Alec, the faun turns to Lette. "Thank you for the offer Miss Lette, but if you wish to continue on then I won't want to waste your time. After the blacksmith, I intend to stop by the guard house for another matter, so I may be some time. I think I am getting used to these streets anyway, letting my ears guide the way seems to do the trick and I can hear the sounds of smith work coming from this direction." He says, pointing down the crowd-filled street. Although the sound was distant, even to his fine-tuned ears, it was still a distinctive sound to easily follow. "I'll return to the inn once I'm finished, we can meet there later?"

Regardless of whether Lette follows or not, he soon starts back through the crowd, following his ears to the blacksmith as they easily pick out the sound over the noise of the people around him. Upon reaching the wondrous looking smithy, the faun marvels at the forge for a moment before turning his attention to a large table of armor nearby. Something light, leather perhaps, that could help stop a reasonable blow, but was also light enough to allow him to move freely. After some more rummaging, he picks out some reasonable looking armor for his build and starts the lengthy process again of sorting the right amount of coin for it all. It was good practice though, he kept telling himself.

He straps on his brand new armor, giving a satisfied smile after testing the movement of his body with it all on. He felt far more comfortable with it all on then he ever did with the steel breastplate, that was now stuffed halfway into his bag. Saying his thanks and farewells to the smith, he makes his way across town again to the guardhouse. He finds himself having to stop and ask directions from the passing crowd far too many a time, most of them seeming to quickly dart away from him after pointing out the right way. It would no doubt take some more time before the people became used to seeing such a strange creature walking down their streets.

He soon enters the guardhouse after eventually finding his way back, stepping through the front door and soon locating the red-headed Gudjohnson who'd delivered the sling stones to him earlier. "Hello again." He says, before working the breastplate out of his bag. "I thought I would return this to you, I'm afraid the bulk and weight of it aren’t something I feel at all comfortable with in battle. And sadly, our attackers seemed more interested in my arm then my chest." He lets out a small chuckle as he passes the borrowed breastplate back to the man. "Whilst I am here, I was wondering if you kept the maps of the area we will be travelling to? If so, then I'd like to study them and make notes now if possible."

Buying:
1x Studded Leather Skirt, groin + legs DR 3/2* $62 4.lbs
1x Leather Gloves, hands DR 2* $36 0.lbs

Total: $98

Cash Remaining: $651

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun says his thanks to the rather despondent looking man when the map is eventually laid out in front of him, before fishing his newly purchased journal out of his bag. He studies the map for a moment before doing his best to copy it into his own book. At least there was a road leading straight to the village. But perhaps it should be avoided? If more attackers came after them, then the stone paths would most likely be the place they would wait. If only creatures worse then bandits weren't prowling the wilds then it might have been a good idea.

After a while of rough copying, he waits for the ink to dry before closing his book and stuffing it back in the bag. He then rolls the map back up and hands it over to the nearest guard with his thanks before exiting the guard house and making his way back to the inn. It was high time to see to that wash.

His ears soon pick out the conversation between Isit and Alec as he enters the room and he gives them a broad smile and wave before he quickly tracks down the innkeeper. After some brief talk and further additions to his room bill, the faun follows a barmaid up to his room where he's presented with a small wash bucket and cloth. It certainly wasn't ideal, but it would do. Wasting no time, he strips off his armor and starts washing off the day's dirt and dry blood. He waits for the water to cool before finally managing to rub off the flecks of blood, the mayor's tip seeming to do the trick. With that necessary task done, he gathers his things once more and returns down to the main room.

"Sorry about that." he says, soon taking a seat next to Alec. "I had to see to a wash." He orders himself an ale, having suddenly developed a taste for it. "I returned to the guardhouse and was able to copy their map of the region. It should give us a clear view of our destination." He fishes the journal back out of his bag and lays it open on the table, showing the map to the others.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Hello again. Much luck at the guardhouse? I went myself, but did not see you." He says, twisting in his seat to greet Martin before turning back to his journal. "It's a copy of the map that Mr. Gudjohnson at the guardhouse showed me. I thought it might help to study it before setting off, to help those of us unfamiliar with this land, myself included of course." He takes a drink of his ale then coughs as he gulps down a larger amount then intended. "A good drink." he says between bouts of coughing. "But certainly stronger then what I am used to. Perhaps tonight will allow me to get better used to it."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Yes. It would be nice to wait for Miss Lette and Sir Dolan if we're to discuss the journey further." He takes another, smaller sip, of his ale and swishes it around his mouth before drinking. It certainly was stronger, but sweeter then anything the herd had managed to produce.

"The stones?" he says, placing down the mug and fishing a couple of stones from his pouch. "Of course here you go. What do you plan to do? I would suggest avoiding using that arm of yours. I'm no expert, or knowledgeable at all, in healing magic but it might not be good for it." Nevertheless, he passes over a small pile of stones into Alec's hand.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

His ears perk up as Isit mentions magic and he turns to question Alec just as he starts chanting. He then simply stares at the man, words caught in his mouth as the stone begins glowing. As it starts to flash, the faun edges away in his seat, grabbing his journal up in his hands as he does so. So another of their group could use magic aswell. It certainly seemed he was in for a few surprises on this journey. He moves his sight away from the Northerner as the light becomes almost painful to watch, throwing the hand holding the journal up to his eyes to shield himself from the light.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 29, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He turns back to Alec as the flashing light is covered. "Amazing, if a little concerning at first. If I could ask, where did you learn such a talent?" At Isit's words, he turns in his seat to regard the other patrons. Despite the faun's eye-catching appearance, most eyes did seem to be falling on Alec and none looked all too pleased either.
"Perhaps, something that doesn't threaten to blind everyone around us could wait for later. And, it would seem, that something that flashes so brightly would be just as harmful to us as it would our enemies. Maybe it could be better served as a distraction if ever we had to make an escape?"
He takes another small sip of his drink and lowers his head slightly, hoping that the other patrons would turn their eyes from them by the time Lette and Dolan arrived.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"I have a room here Lady Isit, we could talk more privately there if you would like. T-that is to say, we could all talk more privately there." He lowers his eyes to the drink in front of him before quickly turning to greet Lette and Dolan as he hears them arrive. Hopefully the lady elf would not get the wrong impression.

"A mage? Mayor Roland did suggest this might be more then just a band of centaurs." He takes another sip of ale. "I'm glad we did not run into this mage at the wagons, I'm not sure how long I would last against magic." He raises his eyes to Lette as he spots her viewing the stones. "Ahh, speaking of magic, Alec here was infusing a sling stone to emit a bright light in the hopes it would distract our foes. Although it seems to be distracting our fellow patrons more then anything, perhaps I'll play soon to raise their spirits."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He idly plays with one of the stones passed back to him by Alec, rolling it over the table a few times before stowing it, and the others, back into his pouch. "Sadly, I cannot be of much help" he replies. "Today was the first time I had even seen magic up close. Although, it would probably be best to avoid fights with an obvious mage if possible." He looks over to his journal, studying the map a bit more. "We are to be following the centaur's trail the scouts report back with yes? I am sure that I can guide us easily enough no matter what direction they may have taken. A large amount of hooves can leave some distinctive tracks, even if this storm does manage to wash most of them away."

His stomach grumbles rather loudly as he finishes speaking and he turns to the others with a grin. "I think some food is called for." After everything they had been through today, a good meal and some drinks could do them all some good. "And I cannot think of a better thing to spend my money on." He turns and finds a passing barmaid, ordering enough food and drink for them all before attempting to count out the correct amount of coin on the table.

$30 spent on food and drinks.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Twenty...Twenty-five. Wha-?" He looks up mid-count as the barmaid points out the man across the room and turns in his seat to get a better look. He didn't think he had ever seen the man before, but in a town with so many people it was hard to be sure. He watches the man leave before turning back to the others, coin still in his hand and on the table in front of him.
"Who was that?" It was a silly question and he knew it, but he'd never been warned from danger in such a way before. "I-I think we should move to my room or somewhere more private." He says, stuffing his coin away again. "Where can we be safe if not here?" His ears droop down on the sides of his face sullenly as his eyes nervously shift to those sat near them, his actions clearly showing his emotions.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He waits in silence for the food to arrive. Anything he was likely to say about the subject would just draw more attention to them. Trying to appear calm when his nerves got the better of him was never something he was very good at. Thankfully, Isit surprisingly draws his current thoughts away. He stares at the woman for a moment before letting out a nervous laugh.

"Yes..well. I suppose there would not be much hope for my kind if that were true. In fact, over half of the herd are women. Although the men are usually the ones to hunt closer to the edges of the forest, so it is likely that only we males are spotted and talked about." He takes another sip of beer and looks down at his plate. It was still strange to have his food arrive so readily prepared for him.
"All men are trained with the spear and other such weapons from a young age. There are not many of us, so I was required to hunt game and protect the herd ever since I was able to."

He takes another sip of his drink before casually looking over at Alec after the man nudges him. He raises an eyebrow at the man before smiling and casually tapping his mug next to the Northerner's. "Yes indeed."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

As his stomach rumbles once more, he eagerly obeys it and starts tucking into his meal. He lets himself focus on the conversation around him, trying to take his mind off hidden notes and talk of 'traitors', at least for the moment. His ears perk up as he turns to Alec, not all too sure what sort of tale the man seems to be asking for. Although, judging from his last statement, he could probably guess.
"I have not many tales to tell of personal experiences like that I'm afraid." He stuffs a mouthful of what tastes like rabbit into his mouth before washing it down with another drink. "I must thank you once again for your efforts earlier today. I had never imagined myself being in a battle, let alone being in one so brutal as what we faced today. If you were not all there to help, then I shudder to think of what may have happened."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"You are right." he says to Alec, finishing off the last of his meal. "We survived and no one was taken from us, this is more then enough reason to celebrate." He takes a long drink and smiles genuinely as he places the mug back on the table. He tries to brush off the northerners hints and nudges with a carefree laugh, although he suspects that his burning red cheeks gave him away. Even amongst his carefree people, the faun had never been very confident in such talk. At least, not before a few drinks.

He reaches into his bag and pulls out his flute, turning the instrument over in his hands a few times as he looks over the people near them. "Do your people have songs Sir Alec? It would seem that once we leave tomorrow that I will have to avoid playing to avoid attention, so I would like to take this chance to enjoy myself while I can. Perhaps we can make these people forget their troubles for a time as well." He brings the instrument to his lips and tries a short tune to test that his right hand still allowed him to play after his recent injury. Smiling in satisfaction after he feels no pain, the faun looks to Lette. "Would you care to join me Miss Lette? I would be blessed if you were to join me again in another song."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

A bright smile crosses his face as the others agree for a song and he wastes no time in leaving his seat and moving to stand next to the table with a bit more room to play.
"Well then, I will be blessed to oblige you. If anything is needed after a good meal, it is a song." He wonders if he should address the other patrons first, but soon decides against it. They would most likely send odd looks his way and regard him with a wary eye as usual. It would be best to let the music do the talking.

He taps his right hoof lightly on the floor for a beat as he takes a deep breath and brings the instrument to his lips. The first note cuts through the air around him and he soon falls easily enough into an upbeat and merry song. Dance of the Birds, that was the name. It was his mother's favourite. Losing himself in the moment, the faun closes his eyes as his fingers move instinctively for the right notes. He can almost feel the grass of Rintel underneath his hooves again as the song sends waves of nostalgia through his body. So many evenings had been spent underneath the trees as he had perfected the tune, all to see the look of pride his mother had given him when he had played it to her for the first time. He opens his eyes and curves his mouth up in a smile as he continues to play, tail swaying gleefully behind him as all troubles leave his mind.

Rolled a 10 against M.I (Flute) - 12.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Finishing off the song with a flourish, the faun lowers the flute from his mouth and looks to the others with a smile. "Pardon me." he says to Lette, scratching the hair around his horns in slight embarrassment. "Sometimes I can get a bit swept up in it all." As he sees the others rise from the table, he decides to follow suit and grabs his various possessions from the table. "A good night to you all and rest well."

He then takes his leave and returns to his small room upstairs, soon climbing into the bed and watching the passing storm through his window. The weather certainly was an ominous sign. And after all the talk of traitors in the city, perhaps it would be best to leave for the road earlier then they had planned. He turns his head to the closed door as he falls into sleep. The sounds of the waking city in his sensitive ears were proving more then enough to wake him in the early hours and hopefully tomorrow would prove no different.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun wakes easily enough when the first rays of morning light peek through the window and fill up the room. He lays there for a while, wondering what the day might bring, when the first noises of the waking city convince him to get up and prepare. After washing and checking his equipment once more, he soon exits the room with his pack strapped to his back and weapons in hand as he descends the stairs.

He smiles at Isit and Martin as he enters the room, just catching the back of Alec's head as the northerner leaves the inn. Off to handle some last minute task no doubt.
"A blessed morning to you both." he says, coming to sit with the others. "I suppose we will be heading off once we are ready? This city is a wonderful sight, but I will not miss the crowds whilst we are gone." Despite the circumstances of their journey and the safety the city provided them, it would be nice to breath in the country air once more.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"A good morning to you Miss Lette. We were just saying that we may leave once we were all awake and ready, which it seems we can do now? Perhaps we should stop by the guardhouse and see if those scouts have returned with news on the centaur's trail. I suppose we will meet Sir Dolan at the gate?"

He turns to leave just as he spots Alec himself, giving the man a surprised look before it quickly fades. "Ahh, I did not notice you for a minute Sir Alec. What brought on the sudden change if I might ask? Did you do this yourself?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He quickly grabs a portion of food for himself and devotes his whole attention to it as he tries to avoid the harsh glare Isit was sending him. The sooner they were away from this city today, the better. He was not used to all this secrecy and would likely land them in more danger if he were to open his mouth and instinctively speak his mind. Ears twitching and cheeks flush in embarrassment, he soon devours his own breakfast before digging out his journal, regrettably tearing out a back page and handing it, along with his quill, over to Alec.
"There you are. If you would prefer, I could write it for you?" He did not wish to sound rude, but he was not sure on the northerner's grasp on words, given how his various pronunciations had gone so far.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Shouldering his pack back on, the faun cocks his head to look at the note. "It looks good." he says, trying to hide his surprise at the man's impressive grasp on a written language that clearly wasn't his own. "But, if you seek to find a historian or history texts, would it not be easier to ask for them personally when we return? I would not trust putting notes in strange hands, given-" He cuts himself off then. 'Given our recent news of traitors and spies' was what he would have said, but he did not want to receive another of Isit's harsh glares. Gods, he was not used to all this. He simply gives the man a meaningful look before moving to exit the inn. "Shall we be off?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"I suppose." he says simply to Alec as he heads for the door. "When you search these texts, I would like to join you. It will be a good chance to expand my knowledge and make some notes. Though I suppose that will have to wait for our return. Let us be off then." With that said, he exits the inn and regrettably joins the pressing city crowds as he makes his way to the guardhouse, intending to pick up the supplies Martin had negotiated for the other day.

Soon arriving at the familiar building, the faun makes his way inside and soon notices Dolan and the Captain. "A blessed morning to you both." he says, coming to join them. "It seems we are making the most of the day and setting off now." He turns to the Captain. "I had heard there were to be some supplies waiting for us? Have the scouts also returned with news of our quarry?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

As the others busy themselves with preparations, the eager faun re-checks his gear for the, seemingly, tenth time before giving a ready nod. "Well, let us see to this armory quickly and be off. Time certainly seems to be of the essence. I suppose it is uncertain how long we will be gone, but do we have enough food supplies? Although, I am sure that I could hunt enough for us all if called for."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Although stumbling a little at the dwarf's slap, he looks down to Dolan and returns his grin. "The lack of a fire is regrettable and I am sure it will make the nights cold, but I am no stranger to such things. Fur can be quite useful in those situations. As for the meat, I suppose it is a good thing that I am not much of a cook to begin with."

He then looks to Isit. "I fear even with a hood that I would be quite.. recognizable." he says, looking down at his lower half.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 5, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Bend..funny?" He looks to his own legs. He had never really thought they looked odd, although he could understand what she meant, given how strange his companion's anatomies seemed to him. "Trying to keep a party such as ours hidden amongst so many might prove difficult indeed. Given how quickly rumors can spread in a town as crowded as this, it is likely that people are already aware of our journey. But, as you say, we can easily discover any followers once we are outside the walls and I will do my best to avoid attention until then."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Right, it might be for the best if I keep my mouth closed if that should happen. I was never very good at keeping secrets and pretending to be something I am not. Sometimes the herd act out plays from the stories and songs we hear, and my lack of acting talent has cost me a part in them more then once." He smiles at the memory as he begins untangelling a hair from around one of his horns.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"There is no need to apologize, Lady Isit. In fact, I must thank you for concerning yourself with our safety. It is truly a blessing to have you with us and I expect your wisdom will keep us alive more then anything during our journey."

As they continue to prepare, he takes a seat on a conveniently nearby crate and starts absent-mindedly playing a merry, although hushed, tune on his flute as he watches the guardsmen performing their drills. He would need to take what little opportunities came now to play his songs and right now he needed it as an outlet for his anticipation for the coming journey, his eagerness showing clearly through his wagging tail and gleeful song.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun decides to put himself at the front of the group as they pass through the cornfield, confident that his sharp ears will be able to pick out anything close by. And keeping so close to the nearby road easily gave him a clear sense of direction without having to turn to his crudely drawn map for guidance.

A smile creeps across his face as he closes his eyes briefly and breaths in the country air, his furry tail beating against the passing stalks as it sways behind him. He had no doubt that their journey would not be an overly pleasant one, but the warm sun on his face, the sweet smell of nature and the cool breeze blowing through his hair and fur alike were more then enough to keep his spirits relatively high for the moment. His eyes are then drawn quickly to the dark shape high in the skies above them.

"Gods, would you look at that!" he says, failing to notice the mild panic ensuing behind him as he stops and stares openly at the distant beast. "I had heard tales of sightings of dragon-kind during my travels, but I had never dreamed... Look at it's wingspan and the way it drifts so contently through the air! Truly marvelous! Do you see-?" He then turns, breaking out of his trance, and realizes that the others are having a far better idea then he is. Trying to hide his embarrassment as best he can, he ducks down into the field himself and tries to hide, still peeking through the swaying stalks around him to watch the ancient creature. It was times like this that made him wonder if having a stronger fear of the unknown would be a far better quality to have then his natural curiosity towards it.

Stealth - 12
Camouflage - 14

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

His eyes widen in terror and his blood runs cold as he desperately scrambles up into a run. There was no time to think, only time to react and let his natural instinct to live for another day take over his body. A brief glance is spared to his companions as desperate yells and calls to flee leave his mouth before he lets his legs carry him off into the field. Everything seems to happen so fast and, before he knows it, the young faun is diving head first down into the surrounding corn, hands thrown over his head as he foolishly prays for the beast to leave them unharmed.

Moving away from the dragon's intended landing spot before diving and hiding in the field.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Watching the scene unfold with one eye open, the faun cowers on the ground with with his head clutched in his hands. He closes his eyes as the dragon descends only to reopen them as his ears catch no sounds of screaming and only those of the beast taking to the skies once more.

"Is it gone?" he says, coming to stand again and searching the sky around them wildly. "I had never heard of dragons to be so unpredictable, what do you suppose made it change it's mind?" He simply sighs and attempts to catch his breath whilst brushing some clinging corn stalks from his fur. His journal and quills are soon drawn from his bag as he decides to make some quick notes while the experience was still terrifyingly fresh in his mind.

quote:

~ An encounter with a large black dragon shortly north of the city of Noah.
We attempted to hide in the corn field we found ourselves in before the beast took sight of us and came to supposedly feast.
It's wings were folded back as it took to a dive, reaching us in mere seconds despite the great distance between us. Breath-taking speed.
Moments before it came to land, the black drake shockingly took to the skies northwards seemingly faster then it had descended. Tulun or Sviyaga must favor this beast.
The beating of it's wings were enough to flatten corn and people alike. Smells oddly of cinnamon.

"Perhaps I will be able to provide some truths to these speculations and fabrications when time allows." he says as he writes, tensing his hand to stop it from shaking as he scribbles down the words. "Although I doubt researching dragons will be a particularly safe experience."

He stows the journal away and re-gathers his equipment that was dropped in the chaos. "As much as I would like to have the woods to cover us, Sir Martin, I believe that we must follow the road at least to this fork in order to track our foes. And even if we were to take shelter amongst the trees, the woods may hold dangers of their own. Sadly I see no other choice then to simply carry on." He leans slightly on his staff as he continues to collect himself, his eyes and ears fixed on the skies to the north.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He hefts the spear and staff in his hands and takes one last deep breath to steady his nerves. "Yes." he says after a moment. "Let us move on and find these tracks as quickly as possible. It would be unwise to linger for too long encase the beast decides to return." With that said, he takes lead again and quickens his pace slightly as he continues on through the cornfield, keeping a close eye on the nearby road for the coming fork. If any luck still remained with them, there would be some centaur tracks waiting for them ahead.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Fenton. What prompted you to give him that name, Miss Lette?" He slows to give the mule a pat as he passes it and then turns his head to Isit. "You were part of an army Lady Isit? Fascinating. How long for? I hope you do not mind me asking about it, I am told it can be an uncomfortable topic to discuss. Although, it would be nice to hear more tales of them from those who were there, instead of reading about them in books." He scratches his tail with the tip of his staff absent-mindedly as he casts another weary eye to the sky. "The herd's collection of books from beyond our woods is not very extensive at all sadly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

After moving a good distance from the path with the others, he places his bag down on the ground along with his weapons before unrolling his blanket. The large, handwoven blanket had been one of the few gifts given to him when he had left the herd and it was already showing signs of wear and tear from it's numerous uses on the road so far. He takes a seat and moves his bag into a suitable pillow position before whispering to the others.
"I will be happy with keeping watch at night, the cold winds will not bother me as much. With so little around us, I am sure that my ears will pick out anything close before it becomes aware of us."

The faun then eats his own saved food, trying to peek at Dolan's open book when he thinks the dwarf is not looking, curious to see what the man was writing about so much. Perhaps he was writing stories of his own. The look of concentration on the dwarf's face deters him from asking though, and as Dolan turns to sleep, the faun decides to do the same.
"I shall get some sleep now then" he whispers, letting his ears fall to block out the sounds around him. "Wake me when you are ready."
He closes his eyes and lets himself drift off. The day had been long, tiring and possibly the most frightening one to date. Sleep would be a welcome respite.

• Locked thread