Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun breaths a little easier after Lette and Martin's reassurances over the new title. "Oh...good. Good. Yes, yes. She is the perfect choice, as you say."
He takes a peek out of the tent's flap at the question of moving on, looking at the sun's position. "I think we can reach the swamp, if we move soon and swiftly. Gaining a head start on the Queen's movements seems important, yes? Also, I am curious to see how this Lahti will treat us now that we are friends, rather then presumed foes. Staying means more time Roland and Naantali go without word of what to expect and prepare for, unless Dolan can send word from here? Although, I do prefer the thought of sleeping in a tent rather then suffer the same restless and draining sleep we endured in that swamp before." He shrugs. "I must say, I am eager to move on now. But, if you all want to ask to stay the night, I will not argue either."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

With an apple having suddenly appeared in his hand, the faun gestures with it to the tent's flap. "Well, a night in -or by- the swamp it is. We can see how dark it is when we get up to the edge of the place, not there is really any way to tell where exactly the edge of the place really is. We should hurry on then, daylight is fading fast." He sighs and nods at Dolan as he speaks of being unable to send messages. "That is not to say we could not commune with Captain Dirkson or some such, if we are delayed in our return. All the more reason for us to hurry on now though. Seems a shame not to use such handy spells when they are available to us and would make things so much easier for all involved. Oh well." He smiles over at the Freehold harpies. "I am sure you flying fellows can get word of all this to Lady Naantali far more swiftly then we can manage travelling by hoof. No sense in us personally updating Lady Naantali, and delaying the word to Noah, when you can manage it with greater ease."

The faun checks himself over again, making sure he has everything he came with. Looking over to the box left by Celan, he then picks it up and hands it over to Lette with a small smile. He then exits the tent, holding the flap for the others, before hailing a nearby sentry to inform them of their departure and to ask for the swiftest route out of the large camp.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun bids Rial a blessed farewell, equally keeping his silence on any meeting they might have after this point. A moment of thought is given to the question of what Lette and Celan will likely do if Noah and the Queen really do go to war, but it is soon dwarfed by a more selfish thought. Then again, what will I do? Battles are all well and good when they are told through stories and songs, but when he thinks of all the actual fighting he has done so far, it all makes his stomach turn to think of those fights on a much larger scale and to personally be a part of it all.
He lifts up another apple and distracts himself with that instead. Best to cross that bridge when it comes along.

With the setting sun casting enough light as they set out from the camp, he takes the opportunity to settle his rumbling stomach some and frees one hand from the reins to pass stored food from pack to mouth. But the day's light fades soon enough and forces them to march on in darkness. A small groan is hidden by the sound of the many hooves stamping the ground as he must call an end to his short dinner and take both hands in the reins once more to better guide Eclipse through the night. I shall have to better learn to use my tail for such things, if my hands are to be needed elsewhere when my stomach calls.

After some more time of riding, the familiar pungent scent of the swamp fills his nostrils and he immediately scrunches his up his nose. "If this horrid smell is anything to go by, then we are here." He pulls his horse to a halt and sits up a little more in the saddle. The light of the half moon and stars does little to aid his futile attempt to stare ahead a little further, as if he expects those damned giant toads to be waiting for them. "Well then. Do we go in now, or shall we camp here and tackle it in the morning? I personally think it will be best to wait until we have daylight to help guide our way."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 8, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He glances ahead for a while, then turns to see the others and catches Lette looking his way. "If you wish to go on for a while longer and it does seem safe enough to do so, then we can certainly move in a bit closer. As you say, we might even chance a bit of light of our own then." He shrugs, his long tail swishing along the back of his horse. "We can go or stay. I do not mind, truly."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun too dismounts and proceeds to set about making camp for the night, somewhat happy to be sleeping on firm ground, even if he had stated indifference. As the others talk of Skoll, he grabs a large piece of saved meat from the Queen's camp and throws it over to the wolf, deciding to keep his distance when the creature bares it's teeth, just on the off chance that she should view his goat legs as desert.

When the others settle somewhat, he makes a grab for a saved wineskin hidden on Fenton. "The talks may not have gone as well as we had hoped they would, but perhaps we can share a quick drink each in celebration of being together again. We can also never be too grateful that we are still alive and well." At least well enough for now. Will I see Spider tonight? Spun into another trick of hers or to be surrounded by the dead? Gods, he would rather take the restless sleep over another meeting with her any day. He coughs and straightens slightly, realizing he must have a faraway look in his eyes.
"Cheers." He takes a healthy swig and passes the skin on to whoever might also wish to partake.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el Vo'Rintel

?

How long had it been like this? Had months long since turned into years? Every day was nearly so much like the last that it made it hard to tell. So much running... Yet still they followed him and still She was there to occasionally greet him when exhaustion gave way to sleep.
Why did those that worship Her follow him so fiercely? What do they think I know? So many questions he asked and so very few answers he got in return. Hope is still held for some way out of this curse, but until he finds it; all he can do is run for fear of bringing his troubles to others.

Never had he hurt anyone or been forced to act to her will, but danger still followed. Those cultists could see him. Magic. It had to be. How else could they have found him so easily? He had always hidden his tracks, boasted in inns and taverns he had visited about taking one path then secretly taking the other in the dead of night and even had he taken to moving through the trees when they bunched up close enough for him to move from branch to branch.

He had foolishly thought himself safe in that cave. Yet still they found him...

? ?

When he stirred and opened a wary eye, they were standing over him with those fiendishly fake smiles and the glazed look in their eyes that hinted of sinister acts he was now all too familiar with. It made him sick to look at them when they looked at him so longingly, as if he held some secret answer. The body of the ninth gave him chills when he laid eyes on it, but he found himself happy to think of one less to follow him. A thought was given to how exactly this one died, but he reckoned he knew the dark answer to that already...
As it so often did these days, any thoughts of fighting soon turned to the decision of running. He dodged, jumped and ran past them easily enough. Gods, he was getting good at running now that he had to do it more then ever. He moved with haste away from them, dashing as fast as he could. He did not have to stop and gather his things for he had long since taken to wearing his pack at all times in places where his safety was not guaranteed. After some minutes -was it only minutes?- of running, he spared a look behind him, only then noticing the flashes of colour in the distance and the sight of butterflies.

Looking back ahead of him, he saw the collection of huts further on and he allowed himself a small sigh of relief. Perhaps he would be safe here. At least for a little while. Stay too long and more cultists would come to burn out his havens and take him away. I should warn them of the cultists at least. Whatever made me so damned special to give them reason to follow me? Barely an hour went past when he did not think that later thought. Surely others had suffered the same fate as that poisoned arrow bought him? Others must be in Her grasp the same as he. But the cultists looked at him as if he was the one and only. Even worse was when they treated him nicely when he had been foolish enough to be caught by them. But he ran then too. Never would he help them or allow himself to remain their prisoner.

? ? ?

Days like this made him miss home all the more. A place where only song, dance and joy filled the air, not fear and misery. But he had long since given up trying to return there. They would follow him. She would follow him. He played his flute sometimes to remind himself of those carefree days, but joyous songs had long since turned to sad songs and now he rarely played at all.

He missed the others too. His old friends. Thoughts drifted all too often to them and what might have been if he had taken Martin up on his offer. He could have been close to Asha there too. He could have learned from her and become the knight he dreamed of being sometimes. But he could not risk them just as he could not risk The Herd. He may not be a danger himself, but danger follows him closely and he cannot remain with them or anyone until he finds some way of throwing off this curse once and for all.

Gods, how had it all gone so wrong? If only he had taken more care to avoid that poison during their first fight with the Eagles and misled cultists. Who knows what he could be now. Maybe then he could have even found a way to preserve Noah, if he weren't so focused on his own troubles.

? ?

He turns to look back at the flashing colours, and for a hint of the cultists that may very well be giving chase. The fairies will deal with them easily enough. He should have avoided this place really, but he had truly not known he was heading this way until he was close enough that a desire for a chance of seeing a familiar face all but prevented him from turning back. He wanted a fire's warmth and the opportunity to ask after his friends, so long had it been since he last heard of them. He would not stay any longer then a day or two, for fear of bringing more danger here then he had already bought with him. But being so close to something familiar, he can hardly turn away now, especially with those mad men not far behind. Maybe they know of Lette ahead, or she may even be here. It would be beyond a blessing to see her again, if not, then at least he might hear of her and the others. Moving swiftly as ever he does these days, he moves for the huts ahead of him.

?

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el Vo'Rintel

???

A few brief glances are spared back to the flashes of colour behind him as he makes his way swiftly to the huts ahead. Even if he were to turn back and help the fairies, there is no guarantee that any of his friends will be among them. And if they are not, then there is nothing he can likely do or say to convince the winged people that he is not also a devout of Spider, especially when the cultists look at him with such wonder-filled eyes. No, it would be best to avoid putting himself between their fight for now. If the fairies are hunting the cultists, as he suspects, -How do I suspect that?- then he does not doubt they will kill the Spider worshipers swiftly and easily enough without his help. Perhaps he will turn back and cautiously greet the fairies when the cultists have been dealt with, depending on what and who he finds at these huts ahead.

????

He runs quickly and effortlessly as he is so used to doing these days. How had all this running started? After Noah's fall, that was for certain. But how exactly? Why then? So much is remembered from before then, but why not after?

His mind wanders as his eyes stay fixed on the huts before him and he lets his legs carry him there, one long and fast step after another. There are gaps in his mind when he tries to recall certain details. Things he knows, but cannot quiet remember how he knows. Noah's fall. The departure from his friends. Further meetings with her. They had all happened, but how did they happen?

A once keen memory falters here as he tries to focus, only adding further strength to the nagging pain in his head. Maybe I am just going mad as I always feared I would...

???

His nose catches the whiff of baking bread in the air and his wandering thoughts shift to a more basic desire. He hesitates briefly at simply walking up to the door of the hut that the sweet smell emanates from, but he cannot resist the chance of snatching a meal. Besides, he soon finds himself undeterred after a few steps to the door, for how could he face a danger from this risk here that is worse then what he has already experienced?

And it is not a new danger he finds inside, but one he is sadly getting quite used to. Still, he does not feel quite so hungry anymore. There she sits in such a form that one who does not know her might think her to be beautiful. But it is all a lie, much like the ones she utters at times. The faun steps inside, coming to a chair facing her but far enough away. There is no use in running here, she will only find him again.

"Although it may be for you, I would say there is nothing normal about the way you usually keep track of me." His voice is ragged and he has to clear it more then once, telling that these may be the first words he has uttered in days. "Something feels...wrong here. More so then usual." He looks up into her eyes, almost as if she is not a soul-devouring destroyer of lives. "Why are you here?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

?

He simply sits and listens, scrunching his face slightly as she continues to talk. The nagging sensation that something is off continues to itch inside his mind and he gets the feeling she knows exactly the reason why things feel so...wrong. Not that things ever really feel right when he finds himself in her presence...
The faun shakes his head at her questions, dwelling more on the fact that something is wrong then choosing to answer. "This just does not make any sense."

??

Then she stands and he sees her belt.

Snakeskin? For a creature such as she, it seems a very odd choice of clothing. Then the nagging in his mind stops and something clicks at long last. "Oh," he says as the realization hits. "The prophecy that was promised." He almost feels like laughing as it all starts to make such clear sense.
"Well, that explains it all then." It is not really real, merely a glimpse of what life may become. Or, at least what the God of Prophecy thinks it may become.

"I do not know what made me think running would be for the best in this...timeline?" He begins to stand, looking at those predatory eyes of hers. "But, believe me, I do not intend to act like the prey I appear to you here. I will free myself somehow, and if any of your followers follow me; they will soon wish they had not." Unless he wants this all to come true, he cannot afford to simply react as she had said. "I will live my life the way I choose to, not how somebody says or thinks I should."
She speaks her last words and the faun somehow manages a smile as he thinks once more on this world which could -but will not- be. "It would appear so," he agrees. Things do seem to be getting rather dark... "Be seeing you soon, no doubt..."

? .... !?

~~~~~

He shifts and stirs on his bedroll, eyes opening to the sky above with his head then turning to see the rest of the camp just has he had last seen it. It had been just another dream, but this is no such thing. This is right, this is real. It hardly takes long for him to know this, it all just feels right.
Skoll's morning slobbering receives a playful flick of the faun's tail against the wolf's side and he sits up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Morning to you," he says back to Lette, giving her a curious look as she speaks further. "My choices did not seem well thought out either. I do not plan to simply run away from my troubles as that dream showed I had. Gods only know why I ran." He yawns and stretches. "A shared vision of a possible future... Yet another tale of ours added to the list of those that no one will ever truly believe. What a night."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Dolan and Martin each receive a 'good morning' as the faun produces a saved meal from his bag to serve as a breakfast starter. "I am not really sure," he offers to Martin with a shrug. "Somehow I must have thought that running from those who would help me would solve my problems with Spider and her cultists that were following me. It was a...horrible, but interesting experience. It seems the cultists were almost worshiping me whenever they caught up with me." Even with it not actually having happened, it still makes him shudder to recall the look on their faces.
"I met Spider, but I suppose that is unsurprising by now. What was shocking was that she was real. I mean, in a physical form. Or at least 'more or less', as she herself said. A dark future indeed, if she gains her real form again." All the more reason to do whatever he can to free himself from her grasp before he even thinks of the foolishness of running away.

He stuffs some dry meat between two slices of bread and bites down eagerly, his stomach having commenced it's rumbling not long after he had woken up. "I recall knowing of your homeland, Martin," he says between bites. "I remember an offering to stay with you there, but turning it down for..." He shakes his head, raising the hand that isn't holding food up into the air "...running off into a hopeless situation and away from what friends I have, it seems. Very odd indeed."

Dolan gets a cocked eyebrow sent his way. Truly, he does not recall knowing of the dwarf's whereabouts in the dream. "It must have been quite the experience if you were dead. Unless this is another joke I am failing to pick up on."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 26, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

With his mouth full of bread and meat, he only shrugs at Isit when she lingers her gaze on him after the mention of the worst of their dreams. From the sound of it, he had received the worst future of the lot. A life spent running from troubles both past and present, all because he had -for some reason- been too scared to work against it all. Whilst most of the others had made the best of what they had, even with so much having gone wrong around Noah. Spider was right about one thing really; it is time to be more assertive and confident in just what he might be able to accomplish and overcome. Or else he may find his own part of the vision start to take real enough shape before he knows it. Larger events in this land may still be beyond his personal control, but something might still be done about Spider's hold on him and her cultists which may soon start to follow him.

Talk continues about the night's events and the faun uses the time in which others talk to set about a breakfast suitable for everyone. He had saved more then enough rations provided during their stay in the Queen's camp and some will need to be used before they spoil. "It seems we can discuss these visions in great detail and still have many to most of our questions unanswered," he says during a lull in the conversation. "Thinking about the reasons and workings behind it all will likely just confuse me further. I am all for seeing to our immediate tasks and troubles and revisiting this all later if it might have a greater meaning."

The faun then hands out saved servings of food and drinks aplenty to his companions for breakfast, along with apples for the horses and Fenton. Their trusty guard wolf is also thrown a large hunk of meat as extra thanks for keeping watch over them during the night.

As Asha awakes and he serves her breakfast -consisting mostly of apples-, the faun sits down next to her and digs into his own second morning meal. "I trust your own glimpse of things that may or may not be was pleasant enough, Asha? Hopefully the absence of a certain squire was not too problematic?" He gives a shiny-eyed smile for the centaur even as his mouth works around another sandwich. "I want you to know that I do not intend to run away if there is even the smallest chance that I may one day be half the knight you are. Actually, I do not intend to run away at all. I think that if I focus more on becoming something close to you, then my personal circumstances in that dark future will remain nothing but a dream."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He finishes the last of this most recent portion of food whilst listening to the others, nodding along to the centaur to his side as she speaks. "Sounds as if you had a more physically thrilling dream then the rest of us." Thankfully, her time there does not sound too distressing -at least, it must not from the battle-hardened knight's perspective- and she had gained a fond look at life with their wedded companions, which is more then he can hope to say. "A shame if you learned nothing of this message, but I shall wager it will come to mean nothing if we might somehow change our future paths and that of greater events.

"Oh, and trust me," he says in reply to the last statement she makes. "You are not the only one who does not like how most of this all is. If only life could be a bit more simple, hmm?"

Standing then, as his meal is finished, the faun sets about gathering his things onto his nearby steed, even if his stomach might protest to just one more serving. Although, he reminds himself that there is always a chance for more sneaky handfuls when he gets in the saddle. Or perhaps a walk through the swamp on hoof is best to better burn it all off. Either way, it is no doubt time to see about moving on again, for there is little more reason to delay themselves.

"Well then, shall we finally see to our most immediate task of making our way through this swamp and greeting Miss Lahti under better circumstances?"

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 30, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

With the swamp all but promised to be presenting less danger toward them this time around, the faun relaxes a little more during the ride, taking in the scenery as they move now that he is not keeping such a strict eye out for hidden faces amongst the wildlife. Although he still has to release a hand from the reins to cover his nose more then once as the unwelcome smell of the place kicks up, so he cannot say the ride is all that enjoyable. A drat sight better then it had been the last time though, that is for certain.

As Lahti makes her grand entrance, he finds his attention fixed more on the beast that she rides. Peering up to look behind her and the frog, he confirms that the lily pads really are as small as he had thought and the place was not playing tricks with his eyes again.
He then slips from his horse and brings his hands together in greeting as Lette makes introductions. "Think nothing of it," he says to the lady of the swamp as she offers her apology. "The past is past, as they say. It is a blessing to be here as allies rather then how we had been before."
The words of sincerity, combined with Lette's reaction to meeting Lahti, make the differences between now and their previous visit all the more clear. How Lette managed all this is something he may never fully understand. Most impressive indeed.

He expects little reaction at first from the swamp as Lette continues to name it and coax a greeting of sorts from it, which leads to a more wide-eyed reaction as the whole place rumbles around and beneath him. Letting go of Dolan's arm -that he must have grabbed in his brief moment of panic-, he composes himself, avoids the dwarf's eyes and stares around at this Acanthi. "A..umm...pleasure, Acanthi."

Further revelations about the swamp and Lahti earn a surprised look along with a smile of both happiness and slight amusement. "Not only the lady of the swamp, but the swamp itself for a new cousin?" He looks sideways at Martin and Isit, smirk growing despite himself. "Congratulations. Also, I would very much like to be present when you explain all this to your future children."

Gods, but he is glad not to be a part of this increasingly complicated family tree of theirs.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun finds himself falling out of the loop of the conversation as it turns to talk of magic and further speculation on what the Queen may or may not decide to do. Not having much to add in his own words that the others do not already mention themselves, he simply keeps quiet and admires the strange sights of the swamp around them. The large frog still keeps his attention the longest though; such a strange and interesting thing it is. Thank the gods -or, more rightly, Lette- that the inhabitants of this place have adopted a more friendly perspective towards them all.

"If it is possible for you to keep us informed on the Queen's movements near your marvelous home here," he says to Lahti as the others talk amongst themselves. "Please do let us know. With any luck, she will truly decide to pass around it instead. Given the way things are between us now, I would not wish for her army to harm your home, as it will likely do if she marches through it." Armies need fire after all and with this swamp being alive, he does not want to imagine what it may feel if the Queen's soldiers take an axe to it's trees.

"It would be a pleasure to stay and talk further, but as said before, we are still very much in an unfortunate hurry. Perhaps soon enough we will have time to return to talk and better admire this wonderful place." Once again, he smiles and bows slightly, his hands clasped together. "It has been a great blessing to meet with you under better circumstances, Miss Lahti. Thank you for the kindness you have shown us and the aid you provide. If there is anything we may do for you, please let us know. Hopefully it will not be long at all before we all set eyes on you once more."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun keeps himself silent for most of the ride, as he can now take the time to better view this magical swamp without feeling the need to remain alert for potential threats. He speaks up briefly, simply to add his agreement to continue on until the day's light is completely gone and they are past the point of which they can safely have a torch lit to guide the way. With the need to bring their news to Noah as quickly as possible, it only makes sense to keep marching until fatigue or complete lack of light keeps them from moving any further. Besides, if Larisa was uncomfortable sleeping here, it would only be cruel to deny her wish when it can so easily be granted. Surely the swamp's edge cannot be too much further, unless it truly grew further then he thinks.

He throws his cloak back on to better keep his upper body warm when the night's chill comes. Thankfully his fur always does a more then admirable job of keeping his lower half warm at all times. Such a shame that many of his other companions have to rely on these trousers, socks and boots to do that for them. Why most women of other races shave off the hair that keeps their legs warm, he will never know. Yet another oddity of this different land.

Asha is passed an apple, along with the offer for the faun to carry any equipment the good knight finds herself burdened with. Such is a squire's duty after all, or so the books he has read on the subject have told him. He finds himself thinking of wearing armour like hers one day, with a few changes due to the differences in their physiques of course. It does not take long of thinking on it for a smile to spring to his face. What an honour it will be.

He falls back to his silence as the ride continues for now, his eyes gazing out into their surroundings and his mind on tourneys and other knightly activities. The only noise he makes is his mouth soon working at an apple of his own.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun's eyes break from the passing scenery and thoughts of knights to glance over at both Lette and Dolan as the two talk about magic and certain theories. "Even if I could make use of magic myself, I still feel as if this particular line of talk would go over my horns." he says between chomps of his pre-dinner that consists mostly of foods he can eat with one hand whilst the other holds the reins. Dinner proper will no doubt come when camp is made.
"I must say -not that I mean any offence to the majority of you all- that I mostly find myself thankful that abilities of a magical nature are not found amongst my people and I, given how it can lead to such complicated shenanigans and mind-boggling conversations." Although, knowing his luck, some outside force will soon grant him this particular skill even if he has something to say about it. Unless Spider somehow has in someway without him knowing it... "Not that things ever seem to stay simple when magic is not even involved, I suppose."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun smiles and nods in agreement with Martin. "Well, if it is supposed to not make sense, then I suppose that...makes sense." His grin grows at those words. "It is something which I can never truly understand. But at least it is not as confusing for long to those with a talent for it."

Lette's continued exchange with Dolan keeps his attention for a while longer as they move onto the subject of family. Having known as much of the dwarf's past as the others, he cannot help but be surprised and saddened by news of his past. He had sensed some tragedy there, given how Dolan often keeps himself silent on the subject, but it does not make it any less tragic when it is confirmed.
"I am also sorry, Dolan. Losing family is the hardest thing of all, especially when they are so closely related. I trust they are blessed with eternal peace in a world beyond this one."

The next spoken words between the two also give him a surprise, but a smile springs to his face this time as it is nothing but a cause for celebration. "That is..." Words almost fail him as this strange and wonderful family of theirs gains yet another member. "Congratulations, 'Grandfather'. Although, I would have said 'Uncle', for you cannot be so old. A fine addition to this growing family indeed."
He glances to Asha at his side with his continued grin and now with a jovial tone. "Almost makes you feel left out, no?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He smiles and chuckles heartily at Asha's colouring, such an unexpected yet pleasant sight it can still be to see the hardy knight take on the colour of the apples she so adores. He cannot help but laugh as the roles seem somewhat reversed for a moment. The apple she then hands him is met with a brighter smile and as much of a bow of thanks he can give in his saddle. "My thanks as ever, M'lady."

Turning back to Dolan then. "Gods, you cannot be that old. Why, you do not appear a day over-" When he then tries for a better look at the dwarf's face, that which is hidden underneath all the hair, he then notices almost for the first time that there is a hint of almost unnatural agelessness. Much like that of Isit and other long living people he has so far encountered. The dwarf could very well fall anywhere between thirty years and fifty. "Well, for one who could be a grandfather's grandfather, you are doing very well for yourself indeed, Dolan. My own grandfather would be quite jealous."
To think of all those years one could live whilst his own and so many others barely reach one half of theirs. Many more years to read, learn and see. What a blessing that would be.

Turning in the saddle to fetch his own wine from his belongings, the faun then raises the wineskin to Martin before taking a sip. "To one appearingly strange, yet wonderful family."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The trip back through the swamp was quite pleasant, even if he could not shake the memory of skittering female laughter from when he had drifted to sleep. He likes to tell himself it was only Larisa playing whilst they all slept. It is a far better thought then dwelling on the alternative. He was almost getting used to the smell of the place by the time they finally made their exit. He had expected the swamp to stretch as far south as it had north, but the sheer extent of it's growth still gave way to a look of wonder that barely left his face on the ride back to Noah.

And an equally pleasant trip from the swamp to the city it was too. No unexpected delays or encounters, just a hurried ride with friends and a chance to take in the scenery, even if he did still keep himself alert for surprises. After all the travelling through the wild and unknown, the growing walls of Noah brought about a smile and long sigh of relief.

When it comes time to meet with the Mayor, and to at long last pass over their gained information, the faun bows in greeting and remains silent as Martin and Lette say all that needs to be told. The offer to sit is politely declined. His knight master cannot very well sit in these chairs so he decides to stand as she must. An unspoken gesture of further solidarity, he supposes.

When Lette and Martin do finish, he clears his throat and speaks. "Lord Mayor, now that you have our news, what might you ask of us next?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Another task is set, albeit not directly set by the Mayor himself. Despite all the worries at their hooves -and feet- already, gathering allies for a battle that is more than likely to happen does rank highly on the list of immediate priorities. With any luck, Isit's former comrades are not too far a ride from Noah as he fears they may be. And hopefully their numbers might be large enough to make this all worthwhile. Still, even just a handful of soldiers like Isit may help turn the tide somehow.

The faun bows to the Mayor as his companions begin to take their leave. "Well then, until next time, Lord Mayor. Blessings to you, as always. And may your health continue to replenish as quickly as it seemingly has." Turning then, he exits close behind Martin and keeps an ear on the noble as he speaks.

"'Concerns'." he repeats after the man. "We all have no shortage of those. It does indeed seem there are matters to discus before we can truly relax for the remainder of the day. Onward to somewhere more remote then. And afterwards..." He smiles, tongue licking at his lips with a faint rumble in his belly. "...we can see about that large and expensive dinner."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Martin's suspicions and Dolan's account of things perk up the faun's ears at full attention with a look of both concern and surprise on his face. That something is amiss with Roland has been apparent since he first laid his eyes on him after the attack, but this is still a slight shock to hear, although slightly less so then what Dolan had to say. "A good thing your unparalleled skill was able to keep this danger from taking you, Dolan. It is a blessing to know you are still with us.

"I had strongly suspected something to be wrong with the Lord Mayor," he adds at a moment where he can get a word in. "Although I said as much at the time, it may not be exactly what I suspected even if it is possibly just as bad. With some haste and a little luck, we can hopefully confirm these suspicions or put them to rest." So much for the rest and relaxation before the trip south to find these mercenaries. At least this large meal that has been mentioned is still on the proverbial table.

"If we mean to split ourselves to quickly conduct this task, then I will gladly help keep watch over you at Vuoksi's temple, Lette. With my current and unmentionable...condition, it may not be wise for me to personally reach out to the Gods we seek, but I can at least keep an eye out for danger." After all, it was said that some of the Eagles' agents disappeared into the city after the attack, so it gives all the more reason to stay alert during their time here, especially if the Eagles' role here is larger then they previously thought.

"There is also...something I wish to do, now that we have some privacy away from prying eyes." The faun reaches for a scrap of paper and his writing equipment before squatting down to draw. "With all that is happening and the dangers we face, it seems wise that you should all know this if something might happen to me. It seems silly that only I have really known about this for this long."
Once done, after sometime spent recalling exactly how he remembers seeing it during the dream, he stands and does a quick check for any unwelcome persons around before showing the others what he has drawn; the map of Eagle hideouts given to him by Spider.
"She gave this knowledge to us, so whether it can be truly trusted at all will always be in doubt, but you should all see and memorize as much of it as you can. Perhaps it is best to burn this map once you have all seen enough to know you can remember it?"

Eidetic Memory used to draw said map.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Lette's words to him earn a grateful smile and nod before he watches the map burn to a crisp. At least now, should the unthinkable happen to him, his friends will not be without information that only he holds. Gods willing, it will never come to that and somehow he will make it through all this chaos. Still, best to be safe than sorry.
"Whether these attempts we make at the temples work or not, it certainly is worth trying, given the circumstances. Without word or any sort of insight from the Gods, we may never truly know what Lord Roland's conditions is unless he does attempt something sinister. It really is miserable to think of the man having become as we might suspect. But our duty is to protect Noah's people, from threats both inside and out. Hopefully our attempts today will give us an answer, one way or the other."

He hums to himself as talk of the Eagles continues. "If the Queen were not marching on Noah, I would suggest a joined attack between the three factions on as many of their lairs at once. Alas, we may truly have to see to the threat of the Queen before the attention of our allies is turned completely to the Eagles once more. Given the fight they gave us last time-" And as he speaks, a hand trails over the scars along his torso. "-we should not rush into them with only brute force on our side. They have dangerous weapons, the likes of which have supposedly never been seen before. If we are to take our time and plan anything as best we can, it is the eradication of those murderous, hate-filled racists."

He pauses for a moment as plans for the day are made. "If we are to be about this before dinner, then let us hurry on. My stomach may not allow me to delay this meal much longer." He gives an impish grin. "I enjoy a talk as much as the next faun, but it appears it is time for action. I shall accompany Lette to Vuoksi's temple, or the little that remains of it. Although, I am unsure how we mean to acquire a crow as an offering. Perhaps we can try a simple pray first. Given her attention to us in the past, I am sure she will respond if she can or means to."

Martin's last comment to his wife earns the noble a light swat from the faun's soft tail. "Absence merely makes the heart grow fonder, as they say."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"If you truly mean to disguise yourself to do this, Lette. Then perhaps I am not the right person to accompany you, given how easily I will be noticed by any who might look our way, even if I also wear a disguise." A hood will not hide the shape of his horns under the cloth, and even the longest cloak may hide his furry legs and tail but it will not stop someone from hearing his hooves hitting the floor as he walks. "Hard to hide the only known faun in the land, no?

"I must say I do not see the danger from showing our true faces there as you all seem to. Surely everyone knows by now that we visit the temples of the Gods whenever we are in Noah, given our visits to Dinym's, Nadym's, Caria's and even Tulun's. Surely we can just state we are paying our respects to the Goddess because of the destruction bought to her place of worship, if people are to ask. Or fake the death of a loved one, as was suggested. I see no reason to hide who we are when we are there, only why we are there. Arriving as hooded figures will probably attract even more unwanted attention our way.

"Still, if you mean to carry on with a disguise, I will wager I can climb a building easily enough," he says in a matter-of-fact manner. "So maybe I can watch from a nearby rooftop or simply keep myself hidden out of sight but within sight of you and come running if anything seems wrong."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun manages a small smile despite the condescending tone sent his way and raises his hands. "Alright. Alright. Point made, sir. Simply voicing my thoughts aloud and whatnot. My apologies." Stand around talking too much and it's only a matter of time until you reveal how foolish your thoughts can appear to others. A disguise may do no harm, but wasting time by talking over the importance of one -when they have urgent business to see to- might. Better to just have kept the thought to myself; A note made for future reference.
"Then I shall keep watch over Lette but remain out of sight when we arrive, to avoid anyone noticing my not-so-easily-disguised appearance. If this is all we can plan and discuss for now, shall we be about our important tasks?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

There are certain times, even amongst the chaos of these past days, that he finds himself wondering just how he gets into these situations. One such time is when Lette leads him by the arm past skirt after skirt, stating just how wonderful he will look in one. Watching from the nearby rooftops. The shadows. Out of sight. What happened to that plan? In truth, he will not be much help to Lette from a distance if trouble finds them and this may be the only way to stay close and and still go mostly unnoticed. It still hurts to admit it and go along with this particular plan though.
Certainly he would prefer a more masculine form of disguise, but even he cannot deny that nothing will hide his noticeable body quite like a dress and some form of large hat. So should have gone with Martin or Isit... So after Lette runs off to another part of the shop to gather her own items, the faun simply stands in front of the line of dresses, shuts his eyes and accepts his fate. He reaches out, deciding to simply wear whatever he grabs first and get through this sooner rather than later.

---

"I must look ridiculous." he says in a deflated tone and with a grimace. Even more embarrassing was the padding needed to make it look...convincing. "Gods know I feel it. Fauns must become a more acceptable sight soon, so that this cannot happen in the future." Thankfully the walk to the temple had not taken long and he now stands free of many public eyes. Not that attention had come his way, that he knows of. It must be a convincing enough disguise for he often earns lingering stares when he walks around as he normally does. A faun must attract more eyes than a woman hiding most of her face after all.
He had simply kept his head firmly down on the path in front of him, masked the majority of his face with his long enough hair and prayed his horns and ears did not slip out from under the rather large hat that now sits on his head.

"I must make for quite a convincing ugly woman, for I doubt anyone suspected me to be anything else on our way here." He shifts the thing down further, so as the hem easily drifts along the floor and hides any sight of his hooves and tail. "Let us just do this quickly so I can get out of this thing please."

Trying ever so hard to forget what he is wearing for even the slightest moment, he steps amongst the rubble and assists Lette as best he can. "I doubt we will have much luck finding anything in here. It has been days after all and we surely cannot be the first to look for anything even remotely useful. Still, worth a try though. I feel I am worthy of some luck after going through all this." He searches amongst the ruin for a while before too many near falls make him realize his new outfit is hardly fit for this task. The material is quite soft th- No! Stopping that line of thought quickly, he turns his attention away from the temple for now.

"Strange how the other destroyed temples are receiving such attention whilst her's remains like this. It is oddly silent, perhaps too much so? For a moment, I shall keep my eyes open for... birds." Be it ravens, rooks, crows or Eagles.

Watching for birds and possible enemies around us. Per - 14 for birds. Observation (To be not so noticeable to possible enemies) - 14

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Her remarks about his new attire earn her a sideways glance with the side of his mouth curving into a slight grin. "I suppose it does say something about you, does it not?" He does blush, not so visibly under his hat and hair, at the next thing she says before letting out a chuckle. She definitely likes this more than I do. "Believe me, it is coming off the second I no longer need it."

Among the passing crowd that throws the occasional inquisitive glance their way, he cannot appear to make out any obvious foes. Surely if they were obvious they would stop and linger, waiting for a moment. Or perhaps they are already waiting out of sight. Suppose we shall find out soon enough if they are. No sense in worrying over what may or may not happen now. He finds himself almost wanting the Eagles to make a move here. A chance for some revenge for all they have done to him.
He turns back to step amongst the rubble as Lette comments on their findings. "It is sad," he agrees, even though it is simply as he feared it would be. "People will truly take anything they can carry when there is no one to guard it. Even that which is considered sacred. A sad thing, especially for us now."

At her request, he sits on the edge of the bench. He still remains careful and does not allow his dress to rise up and reveal anything that hides underneath it. "It has indeed been a while since we played. Shame you missed the free time to do so in the Queen's camp." He grins jovially. "Although, saving our lives and doing all you did around the time is a good enough excuse to miss it, I suppose."

He considers her question for a while. "I honestly know little sad songs. Even at a faun's burial, we play joyful music, as the deceased would have wanted. Most of those I learned were when I left home and I try not to play them to keep myself in good spirits. As you say though, I dare not play a song now, for many might know our particular instruments and styles of play around town. Perhaps we can try reaching out to Vuoksi as we are now? Perhaps we do not even need candles and songs to spruce up the ritual. When I spoke with Dinym, it was simply by her temple's alter, on my knees, with little else to it. Not that I really know much about these things or how they work."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He sits and waits as Lette appears to begin her prayer to the Goddess. Given his condition it makes more sense to simply allow Lette to try and make contact rather then take the risk of what may happen if he also attempts it. It was safe with Dinym in her temple, but how can I be so sure here? Best to wait and see first.

The sudden rush that comes as she places the items on the alter almost makes him lose his usually keen sense of balance. He simple staggers and raises a hand to his stomach as it threatens to empty itself right here and now. Gathering himself somewhat after a moment, he turns to Lette. "Urrgk... I do not...feel quite right. Perhaps it is best if I step away." Before he can do just that, the rather large raven descends on to his shoulder, stopping him in place as it's talons send streaks of searing, yet ice cold, pain through him.
Words try to form but come out as a garbled sound instead, a sound that almost registers as loud as the bird's shrieking.

God's blessings, the bird hops over to Lette soon enough, obviously preferring the touch of one not so tainted as he is. The hand at his stomach goes to his shoulder instead now as he tries to gather himself once more. Gasping heavily for a moment or more, he then turns to Lette after the bird flies away. "Any luck?"

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 29, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"...'Not yet'?" he repeats with a shake of his head before he continues on in a more sarcastic tone. "Well if that is not just useful to everyone. More plots, ploys and information keeping from those around us who may actually be able to greatly help us. Hopefully the others had more luck." And with his and Lette's task done here, it is high time they move on meet with them. Not before getting out of his embarrassing outfit, of course. He can just imagine Isit's laughter at his current state and what would Asha think to see her squire like this? No, best to change as quickly as possible.

"Mani-what? Coloured? I..uhh...really do think you enjoy this more than I. Besides, orange and magenta were never really my colours." he grins and looks to the tent they intend to leave. "Perhaps best to leave it for whoever may seek to rebuild this place. If it is not stolen like so much else here has been. It would be nice to use it on the road, but Isit may say it will attract too much attention due to it's size. Ah well."

Heading away from the temple now, he lowers his head again to better hide the parts of his face that are not already hidden behind his hair and hat. After suffering through the crowds for a reasonable distance, he taps Lette quickly on the arm and ducks into a nearby alley. "Would you keep an eye out for...well, anyone? I think we are far enough away that this no longer seems necessary and I cannot stand to be in this much longer, even if you may disagree." With a quick smile, he then then hides behind some convenient boxes and strips away the hat and dress before hurriedly stuffing them into his pack. A thought is given to just throwing it away and ridding himself of the shame, but he sadly decides that a day may yet come when such a disguise is needed again. Blessed Moon, tell me I am wrong.

Once done, he steps out again in his full faun-ish display and stretches his legs, raising him a few more inches, and shakes out his long tail now that it is free to do so. "Gods, that is better. Those things are so...restricting. Perhaps we should wait a while then we can rejoin the crowd. Was there anything you wanted before we find the others? You did mention strings for your lyre. If we hurry about it, then I am sure the others will not mind waiting too long, if they are not still going about their own tasks that is."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

After the day's tasks are done, he is more than happy enough to be with the others again and truly be on their way to finding this promised meal. Although, the crowded inn may not be as glorious a venue as he had perhaps expected, it will do just fine for a faun such as himself. Quantity can substitute for quality here as far as food goes, and he wastes no time in placing orders for everyone as well as rounds of drinks. He still finds himself with plenty of coin left in his possession, and from what he has been learning about currency, it seems to be plenty for the price of this evening's dinner with enough being left over for more meals to come. As he sits, he places his pack by his hooves and his cheeks flush as he quickly pushes in the bonnet that is beginning to peak out.

"This inn may not be much, nor the food up to the highest standard for some, but I am not one to complain, especially given the state this city is currently in." He shifts around in his seat, glancing at the people that also fill the inn around them. He lowers his voice. "I am sure it is unwise to speak so freely here, but so you know; we had little luck on our end. All we got was..." He looks to Lette, pausing to choose his words carefully here. "'Not yet'. So not very useful at all sadly. Hopefully you all had better outcomes, but we can of course discuss this in more detail later, yes?"

When the food does arrive, his rumbling stomach easily allows him to overlook whatever comments he may have about the quality of what is presented. "Well," he begins, raising a glass after eagerly filling his plate. "Here is to a well earned meal and drink amongst good friends." And then, without much pause, he barely sips his drink before diving practically face first into his full plate.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun finishes a mouthful as he nods along with Martin. "Yes. I also like to think there is still enough time before the point of no return. Perhaps enough time to see if we can make a positive change around here. Possibly wishful thinking, I know, but this lead to the south may be the start of just that. Honestly I would like to see all this through as much as we can before seriously considering any other plans. After all we have been through, it cannot be to simply abandon all we have fought for. Even if we leave, I would want it to somehow be helping the situation here in some way."

He pauses in his eating, staring at the plate in front of him for a moment. "Besides, some troubles will still be around no matter where we go. I should know, yes?" And until his own situation gets much worse than he can currently imagine, he plans to help with other matters as much as he can. "When trouble comes to you, is it not better to face it as best you can in order to try and free yourself of it? If running does not make things better for yourself or those you care for, then I think it only really makes things worse in the end." His own glimpse of a possible future had taught him as much.

He shrugs, a slight grin on his face. "I do not know, really. Just speaking my mind again. It is all so damned complicated." A nod is given to Martin again. "If it does come to it though, you know I am with you on the journey to your home. If my personal troubles are not too much of a burden by then, of course."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Finishing the last of his serving -the first serving, of course-, he turns then to Asha, smiling at the centaur as he chugs down more drink. "If only we were lucky enough to meet in times of relative peace. Although, I imagine the best training for a squire is in times such as these. Perhaps it will shape me into one of the best, no?" He chuckles to himself, perhaps doubting those words. "We shall see. Besides, after we make it through this rather large mess of events alive -which I am more than certain we will, by the way- there will be plenty of time to share what you want to, my lady knight. It goes without saying that I will be honoured to hear what you would tell me. I look forward to it." Gods, but he is lucky to have been taken under the tutorship of a knight such as her. Even now he finds it hard to look her way without beaming with pride and respect.

He holds his drink up to Martin after a few more refills, nodding vigorously at the noble. "I shall see it some day, that is a promise. And if a place is blessedly kept for me there, then I will humbly accept. Not everything shall be as it was in that blasted vision." At the mention of turning to happier things, the faun wastes no time in getting his flute into his hand. "Well then, allow me to help turn things to a better mood in the way I know best." He looks to Lette with a flash of a smile. One might be surprised at his sudden cheerfulness, but this particular faun is pretty talented at making himself cheery when he tries. "Do feel free to give those new strings a try as well, Lette. Let us see if I cannot get this place dancing."

Clearing his throat, he stands on his chair and looks around at the others crowding the inn. "Ladies and gentlemen, I am Lo'el Vo'Rintel. And if you would allow me, I would like to fill this wondrous establishment with the merry sound of my people. Let us dance and sing away our troubles for tonight if we can." Wasting less time, he winks to his companions and brings the flute to his mouth. And a song is played. If he can make himself and those around him forget all this madness for even a moment, then he will consider this a success.

Will spend CP if needed from my saved 6 points to guarantee this place does in fact start dancing and to turn any frowns upside down.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

To say that there was a look of smugness about the faun when it came time to retire from the night's festivities would be a vast understatement. He was practically bouncing into bed when all was said and done. He had promised a song and dance and by the gods he had given them one. A resounding success. A night to make his people and friends proud, such is all he had hoped for. He had been surprised at Lette joining him, but he had more than enough to drink by that point to not be so flustered by it as he might have been sober. Despite all the hardships come since meeting them, he considers himself beyond lucky to have met his new friends. One so special as Lette in particular. As he drifts to sleep, he does so with a smile as he think of them all.

~~~

And he wakes again, this time in familiar silk sheets that feel far more comforting than any others. For a brief moment he tries to sink deeper into them before he quickly regains his senses. He finds his resistance to the bed is easier this time around and he shifts and turns to escape it before he even registers her standing at the end of the bed. What puts him so on edge around her is perhaps how she appears so calm, almost inviting and friendly. Some may see her as such, but he cannot forget all the stories told of her. And that look in her eyes, one that hints of a malice he cannot begin to comprehend. Even he had been easily tricked by her appearance, but he will not let such a thing happen again. Arguably the largest threat one could ever face and it is mine to face here alone. Such thoughts will destroy him before she even opens her mouth though. Stand firm as your friends would.

Ignoring the strange feeling of the bed and the threads he feels under him, he slips out from underneath the sheets and onto his hooves. Mustering courage once more and beating back his fears, he moves around to stand in front of Spider but still keeps himself a good few paces away from her. "My song? So you see as much as that." He speaks calmly, almost as much as her, despite his increased heart rate. Her power must be growing, or did she see this much all along? "And the dream... I had expected you to have seen it also, if not at least know about it." The way she had spoken when he met her there. Looking back on it, it seemed more like the real thing than another phantom in that place.

Due to his suspicions, her question comes as no big surprise, but it still makes an ear flicker. He looks into those deceiving blue eyes of hers. "So what is it that you plan to do?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun does sit, for what difference will it make if he does or not? It is not as if he will be in less danger by standing. He leans forward and taps his index fingers against each other as she speaks, looking forward at nothing in particular. With that strange sense of dizziness having gone, he now just feels himself going cold. So now she is actually in his head. Seeing through his eyes and knowing all he thinks.

Even before she gets around to giving him his two choices, he has already set his mind on one. He had never wanted to run and he had thought it foolish to do so in the prophecy. But he had not imagined Spider's hold to grow on him so much as to see and know all he does. Neither had she sent any direct threats at him or his companions in that future, none that he could remember at least. And now she is doing just that. Running was foolish when it helped no-one but her, but now it is the only sure way to keep his friends safe.

"It seems-" he begins, sitting up and breaking from his state. "-that there is hardly a choice for me at all here." Does his leaving really play so great a part in her return to the world? Even if she somehow returns to the world, she was defeated once and very well can be again. Regardless, his friends die or become that which they will not want to be if he stays, but if he goes they stay safe to continue their fight and he is at least spared more visits such as this. "Honestly, I find myself caring less and less for whether you return to the world or not. If my leaving tips the scales in one way than the other, so be it, so long as they remain safe. I just want to be me again, nothing more or less. No strings or webs, or feelings that I am becoming some different type of monster entirely."

He turns his head to look at her, remarkably cool eyes meeting hers. "Fine then. You keep your word not to harm them, directly or indirectly." Good friends such as them should not be troubled because of him. "Then I will go. But I will go my own way and do what I will so long as it is away from Noah and the lands around it, yes? It makes little difference what I do when I go, only that I go. And if your cultists try to find me, I will not respond to them so meekly as I did in that prophecy."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"True enough." Perhaps he would be surprised at how calm he must sound, that is if he did not have so much else to think about right now. "But one of these choices is better than the others, so it leaves little need to consider the other paths. Besides, life is full of possibilities where as death can either be so final or, as you say, possibly leave me stuck here for...however long that may be." Eternity, no doubt. Or do these souls simply vanish if Spider should meet her demise? "My friends are strong, yes, but it did take the god of war himself to defeat you, no?" And even that death was not final. His companions may yet try to fight her however they can, but his continued presence around them will only allow Spider to see and know all that he does, which would have them lose before they even begin. Staying gives her too much of an advantage over all his friends and everything that they might yet try to accomplish. "No. Considering all this, it is best if I leave them."

The faun's brow furrows slightly as she continues speaking. "Fate, is it? Very well. I shall do as I will and see what it still has in store for me." At least he has the ability to do mostly as he will, even if he cannot escape fully. He had not expected it to be so easy after all. With this damned business seemingly done, he stands and shakes out his tail. "Well then. So long as you leave them be, I will not be with them. Not until this ends, one way or the other." He takes a look around the room before settling his eyes back on Spider, wondering to himself just how long it will be until he sees her again, or -hopefully- if he even will. "Then I will leave here now and then leave them. If you would be so... kind as to allow me to wake up."

:yotj: 5000! :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el Vo'Rintel

Regardless of how he may feel about certain deals, he extends his hand and nods once she offers hers. "Until next time then. After we see what the future holds for us both."

And with that comes the feeling of being sucked back into himself before he shoots up in his bed. After a sharp intake of breath and several hurried ones, he begins to slow his breathing and wipes away cool beads of sweat that have formed on his head. He stares forward for a while, lost in thought about all this. Then he turns to see Lette next to him, her own sleep uninterrupted by his sudden waking. She must be experiencing her own dream. Perhaps the others are too. By the look of how peaceful she is, he decides it must not be an unpleasant one.
He brings up a hand to wake her, but stops himself just short of her shoulder, moving instead then to her face to simply brush her hair away from it. Perhaps not. He would like to wake her and tell her. Tell them all, even. But goodbyes are not something he considers himself very good with. Saying farewell to his family was hard enough, but this will be just as difficult, if not more so.

The faun leans over and plants a kiss on the fae's cheek, finding her skin as warm as he had expected it to be. Then he stands and moves to his pack, removing a single piece of paper before sitting down to write...

quote:

Dearest Lette.

I trust the night's dreams were pleasant for you. Sadly, I cannot say mine were as such. I am sorry for having you learn this by letter, but I decided perhaps it would be a little easier than hearing directly of what I must do.
Spider payed me a visit this night and revealed to me that she had witnessed my own part of the prophecy, the part in which she was able to walk the world once more. She intends to make it a reality and is willing to do all she can to accomplish this. She knows I left you all in that version of the future and told me that if I do not do exactly that then she will consider us all primary prey to be hunted as and when she pleases. And she would kill us, of that I am certain.

I cannot put you all at risk because of me. She will harm you all if I do not do this, but she will continue her peace towards us all if I do. Even if I were to stay, she sees and knows too much through me now. Her power is growing. All that you would plan and seek to achieve will be known to her as soon as it is known to me. I wish it were not the case, but you are all safe and unburdened by my absence. I never wanted to leave you all like this, but by doing this I can at least keep you safe from her.

This is not a final goodbye, only a goodbye for now. When this is all over, I will find you all again. And I will continue to do all I can to help you, even if I cannot do so by your sides. I wish things were different, Lette, but this is how it must be for now. We will see each other again when the troubles of this land are past and we have good reason to play joyous songs once more. I hope you and the others will understand. Please do not come after me.

My blessings and love always go with you.

Lo.

Blinking hard, he lays down his quill and looks at Lette as he waits for the ink to dry. Once it has, he folds the paper and gently places it in her hand. "Until we meet again on a better day." he whispers gently.

In solemn silence, he dresses and gathers his things, lingering at the door to look at her once more before he steps outside and shuts it behind him. With a deep breath, he looks up and down the hallway, many will be fast asleep at this time and if Lette is kept in her dreams, then the others might very well be too. Perhaps he can risk another goodbye that he feels must be made.

Quietly stepping into Asha's room, he glances at her before deciding that she must too be within a dream. On another piece of paper, he writes:

quote:

My honourable and enchanting knight master.
I left my full explanation with Lette, but I must leave you all for some time. I will find you once this is over, Asha. I had hoped to serve as your squire throughout our time here, but perhaps you will bless me enough to take up those duties once more when our time here is over. I never dreamed I would meet a knight as brave and bold as you, nor did I imagine I would be able to call such a knight one of my dearest friends. I hope you understand and that you can perhaps forgive me for this.

I will see you again and we will say all that we must then. Think of me when courage is called for and smiles of pure joy are needed, for I shall think of you in such times.
Lo.

He considers writing more. Words of a more personal nature that he would like to say, but how can he be sure how Asha will take it? He reminds himself that he can tell her all he wants when he sees her again. Instead, he kisses her hand and leaves the note next to the sleeping knight, under a special parting gift that perhaps says all he would like to.

Quietly stepping outside again, he thinks of leaving notes for the others, but time is short and so is his ink supply. Hopefully they will know all he wants to say and how he feels about each of them. Words can be spoken when I return. Until then, he must stay clear to keep them safe.
And so the faun leaves their dreams uninterpreted and quietly slips outside.

'Where to now?', he wonders. The Freehold perhaps, if they will have him. Or he can return to Lahti and ask to sleep soundly under her watch. Hiding in Noah is always an option. Or maybe even scout out these Eagle hideouts and see if he cannot learn more about their plans for this land.
His stomach rumbles and he finds himself forcing a smile around red eyes. Decisions can be made after he fetches Eclipse from the stables and treats himself to an early breakfast.

The road ahead remains as unclear as it always does, but the faun can at least tell himself that his friends are in less danger because of his actions here. It is a strange part that I play in this story, but perhaps not a completely useless one in the end.
And so Lo'el Vo'Rintel steps off into the early morning and disappears into the city, with the friends he has made here forever in his heart and soul.

Sadly, this is where I must leave you all :(. I cannot possibly begin to describe how much I have enjoyed my time in this amazing and groundbreaking game! You are all amazing people and I am deeply sorry I cannot see this terrific journey through to the end with you, but life just gets in the way of great fun sometimes. Farewell!

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 2, 2013

• Locked thread