Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Martin de Mignolet

Martin was a little late as always, or at least 'as always' for this hour. He felt underdressed for the occasion; traveler's clothes just weren't professional, and here he was about to go meet with nobility. He looked less like the heir of the Baron Mignolet and more like some half-crazed ranger. His usually clean-shaven features were replaced with stubble and bits of a fledgling beard. No matter, though; that could be fixed later.

As he tromped annoyedly into the waiting room (such as it was), he seethed - or at least pretended to, complaining more for the joke than anything else, trying to live up to what he assumed a couple of the others already thought - that he was just a bit soft. "Mid-morning, the Lord says. Bloody crack of dawn, say I. No time for anyone safe in the confines of the city to be awake, but work is work," he said as he neatly dropped his things in the corner of the room, trying to stifle a smile.

"But good morning to the rest of you all the same, no?" Instead of taking a seat on one of the benches, he took up a spot along the wall and stood, looking like a half-awake sentry who's missed morning tea. Sitting down in his bleary-eyed state might only lead to him dozing off. Standing would keep him awake. "You all look like you're enjoying the morning more than I," snarked Martin in good humor.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Ah, well, some of us are used to doing a little more work once the sun's gone down." Martin smiles knowingly; he knows exactly what the Northerner's problem with him is, but it isn't something worth worrying about. After all, he's played this little game before. When it comes time for the proof of things, Martin was sure that his family's sword in his capable hands would show him to be anything but a weak scion of Imperial minor nobility. Until then, the supposed fop was more than happy to let the barbarian talk down to him, if that was how it was going to go. As long as he kept it polite, anyway, as it seemed to him the Northman was trying to do.

He looks at the faun a bit more warmly, and offers a bit of a bow in greeting. "Well, I didn't know I was starting to get a reputation! But yes: I am Martin, son of the Mignolet line. And well met to you as well! I'm not sure I managed to catch your name though, so if you would be so kind..." Certainly he thought this one was a bit friendlier than the Northerner; and he was just as certain interested to learn about fauns, since he'd not known them to even be real until yesterday.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

'And so, the rest of them from the inn are here,' thought Martin to himself. He offered a quick and practiced bow to each of them. To the dwarf, "Hail and good morning," and to both the elf and the lyreist, "Good morning, m'lady." Far from court, his good manners still remained, at least. It was something to hang on to. Besides, there was little harm in treating everyone well until they un-earned that right.

At Lette's characterization of the day before, Martin tries and fails to hold back a chuckle. "Hah, well, money never has stayed with me easy. Better it pays for things that other people can enjoy, I have always thought. Some people might not think so, but it was my honor to do so and I am glad that at least someone happened to appreciate it!"

With a small smile creeping across his face, he looked in fact quite pleased with himself. At least the Northerner's suspicion and doubt wasn't shared by the others. That was good. He'd nothing to hide - he was what he was, and all that was left was to hope that those he seemed fated to work with for the next little while were willing to accept that.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Hearing the Northerner speak his name, Martin turns his head slowly to that side. "Hm. Well, where I come from, to have the means to give such a gift, and to actually do so, is a kindness. I suppose I see why you think of it the way you do, but there was no offense meant."

"Let us not worry about, ah, customs for now though, ladies and gentlemen. You speak of spirits and monsters: it seems to me that's a larger cause for worry than who pays for the food!" With his gaze now down at the floor, Martin laughs softly to himself. "Dark days, yes...but you can survive even the darkest nights as long as you give it your all. I would like to think that free peoples can make the world more...normal again, someday."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

There was not much that occurred to him as being necessary that wasn't with him. His family's blade, an old heirloom of good design, was near at hand. For Martin, there wasn't another thing in the world, ancient or new, touched with magic or not, that could make him feel more at ease in the face of danger. With only the barest hint of nervousness, his fingers drummed the hilt of that trusted, often-blooded saber.

"A test, you say, Captain? I shall gladly go along with it." He looks at the others, spending an extra second of his gaze on the skeptical Northerner, Alec. "What say you all? Ready to test steel?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

The would-have-been Baron listens to Isit, nodding. "I've a bow as well, if it comes to it. We'll probably need a better look at them before we can really decide how it should go. One way or another we'll want to unhorse them, though, and quickly."

Turning his head to look at Dolan, he hesitates for a second, mouth opening without forming words for that brief moment in time. Then, he finds the words and continues. "You don't happen to be able to, ah, do anything that might be suitable for that purpose?"

As far as inventory goes, I assume Martin will have everything not marked as being in his backpack, from on the sheet. I divided everything out for a reason. :)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

"To unhorse them. We can't fight them from this cart, and it would be foolish to give them an advantage in mobility if we can help it, my friend." Nodding silently to himself, he idly strokes the bits of beard and stubble that have developed over his many days of recent travel. The journey had been a surprisingly quiet one, and he was almost pleased that there was a little excitement on its way. Adrenaline was better than tea.

"Hm, yes...there's that, and the height advantage too, when the enemy is on horseback. It's very...annoying to deal with." Perhaps a telling choice of words, that one, as though he'd run into this problem enough times already in his time. "With a sword, all most people can reliably hit is the legs - or the horse. Whereas they can hit you anywhere above the waist without even trying. No, we definitely need to knock them down before we can get to work."

Martin taps his nose, looking off into space, as if still trying to think, but he his momentarily distracted by the Northerner's chanting. Well, there was no harm in that, he supposed. Everyone prepares for danger differently.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Well this is a nice surprise." Martin hops out of the cart to the left, readying himself and waiting to see what the ambushers elect to do first...but that didn't mean he couldn't chatter. "Well met there, friends. You've startled us a bit, but there's no need to do battle today. Let's see if we can't work out some sort of agreement, hm?"

Move one hex northwest, and then all-out defense (dodge) to help defend against incoming fire for now. For my little proposal, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk and Public Speaking are all at 11 with an additional +2 from Voice, if it applies here.

stat block posted:

ST: 12 DX: 14 IQ: 11 HT: 10
HP: 12/12 FP: 10/10 WILL: 11 PER: 11 Speed: 6 Move: 6
Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Enhanced Parry/Rapier, Rapier Wit, Weapon Master
Weapons: Jian, fine (readied), large knife, shortbow (10 arrows)
Jian damage: skill 16, thr 1d+3, sw 2d+1
Knife damage: skill 14, thr 1d, sw 1d
Bow damage: skill 13, thr 1d-1
Shield: Cloak, Heavy (readied)
Armor: DR2 torso/hands/arms/feet
Defenses: Parry 13 (preferred vs. melee, retreating parry when possible), Block 11, Dodge 10 (preferred vs. ranged); +2 to all against arcs where cloak applies

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 17, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"At least they can't say we never gave them a chance." Cloak out in front, Martin begins a slow advance towards the nearest of the marauders, a grin slowly creeping across his face as he looks at the foe closest to him.

"Hello there! Tell me something: was it your mother or father that was the donkey?"

Move three hexes north, and then all-out defense (dodge) to help defend against incoming fire for now. Using Rapier Wit on the nearest target (C1), with the bonus from voice it should have a 13 effectively.

stat block posted:

Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Enhanced Parry/Rapier, Rapier Wit, Weapon Master
Defenses: Parry 13 (preferred vs. melee, retreating parry when possible), Block 11, Dodge 10 (preferred vs. ranged); +2 to all against arcs where cloak applies

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Seeing his target's obvious distress, Martin grins a little more as he begins his approach. He was starting to remember how much he enjoyed this aspect of things.

Move six hexes straight north and prepare to defend against presumptive incoming attacks.

stat block posted:

Defenses: Parry 13 (preferred vs. melee, retreating parry when possible), Block 11, Dodge 10 (preferred vs. ranged/charges, retreating dodge when possible); +2 to all against arcs where cloak applies
Note: I will always add retreating to active defenses where possible, since it's a very fencing thing to do.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin continues to grin like a madman as he pulls his cloak back, ripping his enraged opponent's spear out of place as he does. "You only get one mistake, my friend," he needles with an almost manic sort of mirth as he steps in to challenge.

Okay, you may want to double-check this with me before you process since I'm not 100% on how this all interacts, but I checked with a couple of them on IRC beforehand. I'm going to explain this in detail since you're not around right now.

I am going to move one hex N and two hexes NE, which puts me two hexes away and blocks me off from the archers. I am going to declare an all-out attack (determined) with rapid strike, using the thrusting attack with the jian (which is range 2) and have the first hit target the vitals; I will also use extra effort on the first attack to add 2 damage if it hits. My impression is it should be two hits at -3 (thanks to weapon master), +4 to the first hit, -3 again to the first hit for the called shot, and +1 all around for the size modifier. So: if I've done the math correctly, it should be 2 hits at effective skill 15 and 14 (with whatever other modifiers are applicable that I don't know about). If I've done this seriously wrong, or if it flat out can't be done at all, let me know on IRC and I'll fix poo poo or re-order.

stat block posted:

Defenses: Parry 13 (preferred vs. melee, retreating parry when possible), Block 11, Dodge 10 (preferred vs. ranged/charges, retreating dodge when possible); +2 to all against arcs where cloak applies
Note: I will always add retreating to active defenses where possible, since it's a very fencing thing to do.

REVISED ORDER: no rapid strike. AOA (determined), called shot to vitals. Should be effective skill 18.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 20, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"drat." An interjection for two reasons: one, he missed; two, he's been shot. He was familiar with that feeling, but he didn't like it much. Time to press forward regardless. They'd pay for this.

Four hexes NE, two N (or 3 NE 2 N 1 NE or whatever gets me most safely to that spot), move-and-attack thrust targeting A1, targeting vitals (since it's capped at 9 anyway, so why not?). I'll be doing retreating dodge + feverish defense against C1 if he attacks me, preferably retreating N if possible.

stat block posted:

HP: 7/12 FP: 9/10 WILL: 11 PER: 11 Speed: 6 Move: 6

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin was beginning to get a little annoyed. These guys - the centaurs - were obviously trained, not the schmucks around the old Barony. He decided it was time to stop messing around. Knees flexing, he went in for a lunge at the nearest archer, twirling his wrist like a pinwheel for the disengage to ensure his target would be unable to avoid.

Step NE, thrust attack on A1, deceptive attack for -4 to my skill and -2 to their defenses; again, feverish defense if I need to along with retreating dodge/parry as appropriate. Should need a 13.

stat block posted:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Despite being unused to fighting alongside so many allies, Martin instinctively stepped backwards smartly to help shield the retreating faun. He wasn't sure exactly how bad the hit was, but from the sound Lo'el made there was no doubt that it was bad enough. His own injury seemed to bother him much less. Surely the pain would come like fire once the fight was over, but for now he would manage. A thought crossed his mind as he steeled himself for the next approach.

Sparing a quick glance at the centaur that had just struck his ally, Martin grinned and began to speak. "Where'd you learn to swing a sword? From a dairy farmer? Best stop swinging it like a feather-duster or you might never make contact again."

Step SW (the hex N of where Lo'el should be now) and conditional orders: wait, attack. On the first target to get within 2 hexes, Martin will attack with the jian (thrust attack once again), deceptive attack for -4 to my skill and -2 to their defenses; again, feverish defense if I need to along with retreating dodge/parry as appropriate. Should need a 13. Also, I will use extra effort for +2 damage if it hits. If there are multiple possible targets, my preference is to hit whichever one it is that appears to be the leader - I think it's A4 based on the last post, but if I'm wrong feel free to correct it.

Also, using Rapier Wit on A3 on a 13, hoping to stun him - or redirect him onto me instead of Lo'el. So glad it's a free action.

stat block posted:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"You could just leave. No one has to die today," said Martin smugly as he stepped in to continue drawing his opponents' attention. He'd seen Alec take a bad wound out of the corner of his eye; even though he didn't have any concept of what had happened to Dolan he knew it was desperate for the rest of them. It was time to lead the line, he thought as he let the jian's blade flick out in a rare slash.

Step NE, and do a cutting attack at A4. Deceptive attack for -4/-2 again against that target, once again should need a 13. Parry first for defenses, then dodge; feverish defense on dodge again if it comes up. I guess also a diplomacy or fast-talk roll to get them to retreat without taking a hostage, if appropriate?

stat block posted:

HP: 7/12 FP: 7/10 WILL: 11 PER: 11 Speed: 6 Move: 6

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

The next second was a combination of satisfaction and disappointment. The ancient blade drew blood again, and he could tell that it was going to be a bad wound. That seemed to warn off the centaurs, possibly for good. That stupid spearman nicks his other leg on the way out though. Martin was still mostly oblivious to the pain, but he could feel his legs becoming increasingly unable to support any weight whatsoever. This fight wasn't lost, but it certainly was a painful one for everyone, regardless. And what did these marauders want, anyway?

Seeing Alec's determined charge, the former noble winces in displeasure. "Northerner! Call it off and let's stop them from taking anyone," he yells with the best commanding tone he has. Moving back from where they came, along the road, Martin moves to cut off the escape of the two centaurs to the south.

Move 3 hexes S and wait. I don't think I can do all-out defense since my move is already halved, but if I can then I will. Also, if you want to consider Martin's comment to be an attempt to calm Alec down, you can roll for whatever seems appropriate.

stat block posted:

HP: 3/12 FP: 7/10 WILL: 11 PER: 11 Speed: 6 Move: 6

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"drat it." Martin had hoped the Northerner would be less reckless; now they really had problems. He wasn't sure if he could get to Alec in time to prevent anything bad from happening, but he had to at least try. He had to hope, too, that the others could prevent anyone else from being taken. "Just hold on, Northman."

Move 3 hexes NE and wait. If someone attacks me for some reason, defend with parry first and then block with the cloak, since I should be at half dodge right now because of injuries. Multiple parries if possible, also, since that's fairly easy for me. Feverish defense also on any of that, just to be sure - the last thing we need is someone else dropping.

stat block posted:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Steady there, Northerner. I've still got some blood left, get behind me and let's go help the others," he suggested almost cheerfully, glad to see that Alec was still mobile at all. He raised the jian ever so slightly, looking down the road at the line of centaurs almost as injured as he himself, and he waited. If one of them was stupid enough to come up at him again, he wanted to be ready to hit them immediately. No one had to get taken today.

Stand and wait. If any centaur gets within 2 hexes, Martin will attack with the jian (thrusting), with deceptive attack for -2/-1, and with extra effort for +2 damage. If, at that point, Martin has attacked but the target is still alive, Martin will use his step to move between the target and Alec, if possible (or if he isn't already in such a position). Parry first for defenses, then block (with feverish defense), then dodge if neither apply or are available, and feverish defense for that as well.

stat block posted:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin eyes the centaurs warily as he shepherded Alec back towards the rest of the group. He knew several of them were injured, so them standing off a bit made sense, but their passiveness overall to the north is unsettling to him. If only his legs could move him just a little faster, maybe he could do more. Alas, while his wounds certainly weren't grievous they're enough to keep him from doing anything too reckless; he'd have to focus on keeping the two most wounded of the group safe instead.

Move 2 SW, 1 S, and wait.

stat block posted:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

As the centaurs began to back off again, Martin motions quite urgently to Lo'el. "Hey!" There is a short pause as he tries to remember the faun's name - hell, he was still trying to reliably remember everyone's name. "Ah...Lo'el? Yes, that's it. Come here and help me with the Northman and the Dwarf. My wounds we can save for last, but those two need help now, if I'm not mistaken, and I'm not good at this sort of thing."

He turns his head to consider the situation farther south. "You two!" Again, silence follows, before he decides that will just have to do. The names will come easier in the future. "Help the guards. Let's pick up the pieces here."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Rest easy, Northerner. When you wake, I owe you a little thanks." The foppish demeanor was gone now, the act pointless out here in the aftermath of everything. He was deeply impressed by Alec's toughness and his lack of any self-preservation instinct, although more than a little alarmed at the latter as well. If he was going to be in the company of these fine people for the near future - and it certainly seemed like he would be - that tendency of the Northman's would certainly bear watching.

Gingerly, he shuffles over towards the wagons and regards Lette for a brief moment before speaking. "Well, that was fun, wasn't it? Is everything alright? What have you found," he inquires softly before taking a quick look around the wagons himself. For this sort of thing, more pairs of eyes are often better, he thought.

I have observation and search, both at 11, if it helps find anything Lette may have missed.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Oh my." Martin had been a bit slow to react to the scream - what with both legs injured and all - but his surprise at there being a survivor was possibly greater than his surprise at the actual noise itself. He shuffles over, standing behind the others, looking as perplexed as anyone has seen him yet. "At least someone has had a little good luck today. ...of a sort, anyway," he adds, realizing quickly that whoever the girl had been with is probably gone now. He decides to let Lo'el handle the talking for now.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin listens without a word as the others gently question the only survivor of the caravan, eyes half-closed, burning pain starting to gradually seep into his legs a bit more than he'd like. The evidence was beginning to become interesting, what little there was, but it was hard to focus at the moment. Centaurs, military or ex-military by all rights, raiding refugees from the north. Then, setting an ambush for guards and adventurers from Noah. And they wanted captives. He couldn't quite figure why they had attacked here, just yet, although hostage-taking had a long and not-so-glorious tradition, so that at least fit.

Without looking up or at the others, he interrupts. "We ought to get back to town as soon as possible. Get the girl a warm meal and a place to stay, get the wounded - which I guess is all of us - to healers," he suggested, wincing as he shifted weight from one battered leg to the other. "And then I think we had better have a chat with His Lordship the Mayor, and see if we can put the pieces together of what just happened." Backing off from the rest of the group, he paused briefly, scowling as he looked off up the road in the direction the marauders came from. "I have not made a career out of letting people who do things like that get away, and if it is all the same to the rest of you I am not keen on starting today."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

As the guards pull up, Martin ambles over towards the watch captain, putting on his cheeriest face and tone. "Centaurs, not just any bandits, sir. There were six, and well-trained. They tried to take hostages of us, but we forced them to retreat. They're all badly hurt - my blade tasted plenty of blood today," he boasts a little smugly for someone who can only barely stand. "We didn't make it out without scratches though as you can see. Some of ours and some of yours need more skilled healing hands quickly." His voice stays strong, but his face becomes a little graver as he says that.

"We're not sure what happened to the caravan. They may have taken most of them. They used the wagons as bait for us, and I do not much like that, to tell you the truth! I imagine we've all got more work ahead of us, don't you? After we're all on the mend I think we'll all need to see His Lordship and discuss what needs to happen next," adds Martin, already planning ahead in his mind to such a meeting.

I don't know if he even needs convincing on that last part, but if so feel free to roll diplomacy/fast-talk/savoir-faire or whatever, as appropriate.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"If I may, your Lordship..." Martin pauses for a brief moment. Here again he was a bit more in his element, even if he'd always hated dealing with the nobility - it was still part of who he was. It was much better than cleaning up after battle, though.

"I think - or at least I hope - I speak for all of us when I say we would be honored to be part of any effort to recover the hostages, and to bring the raiders to justice," he stated clearly, sounding almost nothing like he may have in the middle of the battle not so long ago. "However, I have questions. This morning we encountered two quite unfortunate surprises; that they were centaurs and not a raiding party on horseback, and that the caravan was a trap. We all did exceptionally well under the circumstances, I must say. But I would like very much not to have a repeat of these circumstances."

Pausing for breath, he tapped a finger on his right temple a few times, thinking. "If your Lordship would be so kind as to provide us with as much information on these centaurs as possible, it would be appreciated. Has this been happening often? Have there been other sightings, and where? Maps of the area north of here would also be a great help. The more we know, the better it is for the mission," he noted with emphasis.

Again, I don't know if these questions require a roll, but same deal as last time if so.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin listens politely as the mayor explains what he knows and what he needs. Creeping doubt begins to gnaw at his thoughts as he does so, and it's not long before he feels compelled to speak again. "I beg your pardon, your Lordship, but...well, something seems strange. If they wanted to send scouts, why send ones so conspicuous? Maybe there is no answer there...dark times breed chaos, after all," he added, but the swordsman looked thoughtfully concerned.

"Still, I feel like someone is trying to trick all of us - you included, your Excellency. I do not know what the trick is, nor to what end, and if there is a trap here I'm willing to walk towards it and see if we can't find a way to turn it around on its architect. But I can't help but feel that we have all missed something vitally important here."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"A storm you say, your Lordship? That is...very ill news." Martin stroked his chin idly while considering this, and also considering that by the end of this journey he may yet have a full beard, if things kept up as they had been. "I suppose I am not surprised. All fate seems to conspire against free and peaceful peoples these days," mused Martin. They would have to get going quickly then - as bad as that would be for the Northerner and the Dwarf, it couldn't be helped.

"From the sound of things everyone here is willing to go, unless I am mistaken," said Martin with a sharp glance at his apparent new traveling companions. It wasn't a question. "All of us have traveled long and hard in the last weeks though. And now we go ready for battle. We will need gear, and provisions, I think. Perhaps horses as well; time is of the essence. I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that any help your Lordship and your people can provide us will be returned twofold with our success. We will give all that we have to ward off the coming dangers, but it is better to be sure we have what we need."

Again with the rolling, I guess. 13s for diplomacy or fast-talk, 11s for savoir-faire.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Hm...you all speak truth, but in this situation I hate to wait - even though there are many reasons we ought to. I would hate for the trail to run cold." He looks to the others. "I will accept either choice, though. Either way, we are all in this together."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"As you wish, your Lordship," offered Martin by way of saying farewell. He stands to leave, offering a short sort-of bow as he does so - even though the Lord Roland seemed little interested in such pleasantries, Martin still tried to abide by tradition where he could. It seemed to work well for him, all things considered.

To the others, he said, "I am going to go by the guard post and see what they can spare for us in terms of gear and provisions. I also want to see about horses, like I said, whether from them or elsewhere. If nothing else it will make hauling whatever we need much easier, and we do not know how long this journey will be." As he stepped out, he donned his dark-colored cloak with a bit of a sheepish grin; since the day's battle began he had been carrying it as a screen and had been so on edge he forgot about it.

Now it was time for him to find the guard post. He trusted his ability to find directions, and once there, Martin would see what might be available to the group for their little expedition. He was almost excited, despite his frank appraisal of the dangers only moments before.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin ponders Gudjonsen's words for a moment, trying to anticipate what the group would need without wanting to come off as asking for too much. He was, however, impressed by the guardsman's enthusiasm - and even more impressed to hear that they'd been ordered to supply the team with 'basically anything'. That was a sort of generosity he could certainly appreciate; times were dire, but to offer that kind of support to strangers was not an everyday thing, he imagined. He did not want to seem as though he was too obviously taking advantage.

"Well now, Corporal, I appreciate your help," begins Martin cheerfully as he looks over stacks of rations. "Even if you say they may not be too good, I imagine these are easy to carry and good enough on the march. If you'd be so kind to let us have what you can spare, I and the others would appreciate it." He strokes his chin - by now obvious as one of his go-to 'in deep thought' tells - then starts once more. "Arrows, as many as you can spare - a few dozen if you've got them. That'll be for hunting as much as anything else. I think the others that borrowed arms and armor this morning would like to hang on to that stuff for now as well. If you have spare blankets, that would be marvelous also."

"If you have good light armor too, that would be a help. We won't want anything too heavy I don't think, not for a job like this. And," adds Martin, "if you can spare a mule, that would be most appreciated. Will make hauling it all much less of a hassle, don't you think?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"That...well, that makes sense, really," said Martin, looking perhaps slightly surprised - as much at the fact that he hadn't thought of something like that as he was that they didn't have arrows to spare. "Well, we'll make do - I'm sure we can get arrows elsewhere. Anyway, if you can have the lot ready for us when we set out in the morning, we'll all come by on the way out of the city. Also, thank you very much for your help, Corporal. Good day, and keep up the good work," he says as encouragement as he turns to leave.

With most of his list taken care of at least, Martin heads to track down and regroup with the others to tell them the (mostly) good news and make sure they've not gotten into trouble.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Walking through the streets, Martin hears the elf's voice and stops. "Oh, hello there, Isit!" He was beginning to remember the names, now. That was good, he thought. "I was just looking for everyone on my way back from the guardhouse. They've got some food and blankets, armor, and a mule for us to borrow for the trip. I asked about arrows myself, but they seem to only keep crossbows around." He raised his hands and arms in a shrug, looking almost exaggeratedly bewildered.

"I feel fine, though. The healers did good work if I do say so myself." As if to emphasize the point, he moved to stretch one of his recently-repaired legs. "How about yourself? Is everything back where it belongs," he asks with a slight grin. "Oh, and how are the, ah, rural types handling the city? Have there been any problems, aside from wandering off and chasing legends?" He had been a bit concerned about their ability to adjust, especially the faun; and had he been witness to Lo'el's slight confusion over the matter of purchasing things he would have been simultaneously stricken with laughter and terror.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Where did...where did I learn to fence? Is that what you're asking?" This time, Martin looked legitimately perplexed. It had never occurred to him that his style of swordplay would seem strange to others, but stopping to think about it, he supposed that perhaps it was uncommon in many places. And, in his head if not in reality, Martin was one of the best at his particular art, so he supposed that also could cause a bit of awe.

Still, to tell the story of his expertise required telling a bit about where he came from, and he was justifiably a bit unsure about that. He strokes his chin nervously, trying to figure out where to begin. "Well, I...my father was the baron of a landhold a ways south and east of here." He declines to be more specific. "I...grew up with some privilege. To learn the sword in this manner is of course the province of gentlemen and the nobility, and so I learned it that way too. I guess I was just better at it than most," he adds modestly, looking a bit proud of himself, even as uncomfortable as he is talking about the life he used to publicly lead.

"Then again you've some tricks of your own, if the last battle is any indication," he countered with a grin. Regaining a bit of his upper-class bravado, he continues speaking, a bit more loudly and quickly, almost like a salesman. "It's only fair that I shared my secrets first, m'lady, but it's only fair for you tell how you can draw a bow like that!"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin strolls confidently into the inn a bit fashionably late - whether he was just taking a stroll around Noah, trying to find beggars to give his money to, or whatever else is unclear. Regardless of the reasons, he quickly sights the table where the others are and makes his way over. "Good evening, friends! I hope there is already food on the way, since I'm sure we can all agree it has been quite a long day," he states around a chuckle as he sits.

"Yes, a long day, and battle. Good food and good drink, that's what I need right now." He seems to be talking to himself as much as anyone else, and as he does so he catches sight of Lo'el's copy of the map, spread upon the table. Lowering his voice slightly, he asks, "Is that the map, my friend?" Just like that, it was clearly time for Business, and Martin's pompousness is set aside like a hat.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Responding first to Lo'el, he smiles. "I was probably gone by the time you got there. I've arranged for a pack mule, as well as rations and blankets. There will be armor available if we want to borrow, as well. It is not anything too major, but it will make things easier - especially the mule, as we can travel more lightly that way and make better time..."

Martin begins to trail off as Alec begins his chanting. "What...exactly are you doing," he inquires with a concerned and furrowed brow, not expecting an answer.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Never mind that for now," says Martin dismissively, unconcerned with the utility or non-utility of brightened sling stones. His voice is low. "I know not everyone is here yet but we really ought to start trying to figure out exactly what we are going to do once we leave the city, hm?" Taking a small sip of ale, he gestures lightly towards the map. "Besides, aside from making a scene, I have doubts that we're in any danger here."

"Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? This sort of excursion isn't quite my area of expertise, being this far outside the confines of cities and towns. I was hoping someone might have some ideas."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Steady there, Northerner," insists Martin sharply, voice low. "Whoever it was just did us a favor. Perhaps Isit is right and I overestimated how safe we are here." They were all new here; it hadn't occurred to Martin that there would be anyone out to get them as a group. Individually, he supposed that he himself could be in some danger for reason of his departure from his native lands, but they had not collectively dealt with many people since their arrival. Two conclusions: either whoever sent the centaurs had contrived to have the city infiltrated as well, perhaps some time before, or someone in Noah was a sell-out. Or, technically both.

"Well, we know a lot more now than we did before. That we are in danger even here; that our enemies can use magic as well. I don't like either of those. I agree with what Lo'el said before. We should go somewhere away from prying eyes and ears."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Small talk. Yes. He could do that. He smiled lightly. "Hm, yes, I've always thought of knives as a last resort. Knife-fighting you get no reach, you can't control the pace or distance of the fight. That's no way to live to see tomorrow," he commented cheerfully as he tucked into his food, smiles hiding his discomfort. This place was not quite like the old Barony; he knew almost everyone there, so he knew when to watch his back and when he was safe. He knew which ears were pointed in his direction. Not here, though. Here, everyone was a stranger. His expertise lay more in getting out of trouble or being unnoticed than in keeping this particular sort of low profile and picking out troublemakers out of a crowd, and he was beginning to realize exactly how problematic that was in this situation.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Once he realizes that Lette is talking to him, he taps his temple briefly, then begins to speak, a slightly smug smile on his face. "Well, m'lady, I try to stay away from fighting with just a knife myself, but it can be done. I've fought a few men who chose to do things that way too. You have to be quick. Against anyone with anything other than a knife, it's about speed on the counter, and getting inside your opponent's space before they can recover. It is not always easy," he concludes authoritatively, gesturing with a hand to emphasize the point.

"Defending against them...you need proper footwork and positioning. As long as you stay on balance and keep good spacing, you're fine," he notes, making a dismissive motion with his hand. "As it happens, I am quite good at both of those."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Well, thought Martin, even if they were all in a lot of danger, at least there was good food, stories, and music tonight. At least as importantly, he was starting to get a better idea of just who these people were, whose lives he had put his own at risk for. Silently, he considered this, noshing on the remains of his dinner and nodding at intervals while he listened to the others.

Two of them, he thought, were unused to this sort of work; but both Lo'el and Lette seemed eager to learn, he assumed, and he would of course teach what he could. He would rather have friends who wanted to do good and who wanted to learn, than those who knew more of fighting but did less proper things with it. Such skills ought to be used for the benefit of others, for the vulnerable; they seemed to understand this. Of the others, the Northerner, seemed as boisterous and brash with a mug in his hand as he did with a weapon; he wasn't sure if he would need to keep an extra eye on Alec or not, to make sure he didn't do anything ridiculous. Isit, the elf, was possibly the only one of the others who he wasn't worried about at all: skill and discretion was a safe combination.

And then there was the dwarf. Dolan. Martin hadn't spoken much to him. He knew that the dwarf had magic, and while that would surely be good in a pinch, it could also backfire as it did today. That was the little that de Mignolet knew on the subject, and that risk bothered him. Looking flashy is one thing; surely Martin's fencing looked so, but with his expertise it was much less risky than it seemed. Magic was an entirely different thing, especially in these days where everything seemed to be going wrong everywhere. His mind had no answer for this concern, though; he would simply have to do the best he could, and hope that Dolan's troubles today were a fluke.

Finally, having spent a few moments in contemplation, he speaks again. "My friends," he begins cheerily, addressing Lo'el and Lette both. "I am sure we would all be much obliged if you would play a song or three for us!" Music would take his mind off his concerns, surely. It was not that he thought that he himself was not up to the challenges ahead. As he had always done in the past, so would the former heir of the de Mignolet family find a way to throw himself in harm's way on behalf of others, and then get himself out of trouble once again. It was the fine people at the table with him tonight that he was worried about.

• Locked thread