Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"We'll need you to have both of your arms tomorrow, Alec," needles Martin, but uses the Northerner's proper name for once. "Rest well." With that, Martin turned back to the food and drink that remained of his meal; after all, it would be a waste of good food for him to leave anything on his plate!

"I'll likely not be much longer for the waking world tonight myself," he comments to the rest of the table after a moment or two. "We'll want to get going early I'm sure, and that means if I'm going to sleep it ought to be soon. I am not what you might think of as a morning person, you see," he adds with a sheepish smirk as he stands. "Sleep with one eye open, the rest of you, hm? And good night," he added softly, before heading to his own room. The rest of his troubles he would worry about in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Compared to the others, Martin's awakening was comparatively measured. Which is to say, he awoke, then dozed for some minutes - existing in that half-dream, half-awake state while he slowly attempted to pull himself out of bed. It was not easy - some may have accused him of being soft, but this was in truth the only real indicator of that. The rest was an act, but this...this was real. After some time, he awoke and dressed, then sat on the bed, pack ready by his side, for another interval that might have been excruciating to see had others been watching him.

Eventually, he was up and about, and downstairs - bleary-eyed, tired and quiet, in stark contrast to his otherwise cheerful and smug demeanor. He sees Isit waiting at the counter, and offers a short, awkward half-bow as if to say good morning. Words would come later. For now, there was only the miracle of his being awake at all.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Keeping the chatter down certainly would not be a problem for the resident swordmaster for the next hour or so. He manages to grunt some sort of affirmation to Lette's teasing, and replies with a grumbling yet soft "...and good morning to you too, m'lady." Somehow he still managed a bit of politeness despite his semi-consciousness and his general unhappiness. It would pass sooner or later - it always did, and he could shake it off were it truly necessary. But it wasn't, and so he continues on through his haze, leaving when the others do and otherwise staying silent.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Set up a few..." he repeats questioningly, the wheels turning just a little slowly in his head this early in the morning. Eyes downcast he thinks for a brief moment, and then nods his head. "Oh. Right, yes, there are rations and blankets and supposedly a pack mule waiting for us. And armor, should we want other than what we already have," he added, although he himself would be traveling light as always on that particular front. He assumed the others would likely do the same for the most part.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Taking position on the outside of the group, Martin puts his own hood up as well, then tries to force the sleepiness from his mind. His reflexes were sharp, and if danger came he would be just as prepared as ever. His mind, however, was just a bit duller at the moment - it always needed time to catch up to the rest of him. Ordinarily this was never the sort of problem that it was today, since ordinarily he didn't have to wake and then travel such distance.

He pushes that thought from his mind. "Everyone...just act naturally," he comments dryly, meaning to sound a bit more helpful.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Hm. I don't travel too much, but I do have some time out in the wilderness, m'lady," he says, some of the cheer returning to his voice. "Not necessarily for work purposes though," adds Martin in an ambiguous manner, declining to elaborate. Ordinarily he had the estate to fall back on; he didn't have to stay in the middle of nowhere, and usually there was little travel. Instead he merely had to hide out overnight or something similar. It was different now, of course...

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"You're kidding. Dragons aren't..." Whatever the rest of his sentence was, ended up lost as the rest of the group broke and hid. Not wanting to be left out in case something was coming, he drops to the ground, then scrabbles over towards the mule as well to help unload. The brief glance he got at the sky indicated that something was up there, surely. Dragons were myths, though. He'd surely never seen one, after all, therefore they must not exist. That was elementary.

Stealth 14, no camouflage.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Too late for that." Martin's voice trembled ever so slightly - this was more than a bit outside his comfort zone, and he was beginning to understand exactly how bad things were getting in the world. Of course, at the moment he wasn't consciously thinking about that. He stood and faced the direction the beast was approaching from, sparing a brief second to ready his cloak and stepping to the side. He struggled for words briefly. "Scatter," he finally managed, beginning to do just that himself.

Ready cloak and begin moving to the right, wherever that is from here. Will use all-out defense/feverish dodge after that as necessary; Martin has no intent on fighting here, just avoiding being taken and hoping it decides to go away. I'm assuming there's more than one turn's worth of stuff that can be done here, based on the last post; if I'm wrong I reserve the right to edit.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin watches the dragon leave, turning a slight shade of white himself. "Bloody hell," he spits as he picks himself up, taking a few moments to regain his nerve, clearly flustered. He was just almost killed by something that is not real, which was certainly a problem for his mental health. Swinging his cloak back around his shoulders, he walks back towards the others.

"We are being menaced by myths," he declares annoyedly, the color still not quite returning to his face just yet. "You know, we really ought to get under some real cover. This field's no good."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Spending a moment to recall the map, Martin sighs. "Hmph...yes, I suppose you're right, given the terrain. It's not really all that good for us right now, is it?" He stares off into the distance for a brief moment, almost unconsciously tapping his chin with the fingers of his right hand in an ever-changing rhythm. Finally: "Alright. If we're going to go, let's go now!"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"We have got food, if we're worried about noise from hunting," replies Martin softly. "It will not be too fun to eat, I would guess, but we will not need a fire either." Late in the day, and with some cover for their trek, he was in much better spirits, and his voice was upbeat. More to the point, after the dragon incident he was less worried about other possible dangers; some things could not be planned for, so why worry too much? Things would work out in the end.

"It may be best if I take the first watch. I am sure we have established I awake slowly, so it might be best this way."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

After a moment, Martin finally responds softly. "Hm? Yes, I am awake, m'lady. Just...listening." Were there more light, it would be obvious that he was staring off into the distance quite blankly. "Not that there is much to listen to," he noted dryly. There was something comforting about the quiet, at any rate - it meant that there was nothing to worry about at the moment, and if there was nothing to worry about then everything was well. He didn't like hiding out here in the middle of nowhere; much easier to be inconspicuous and not have to worry where there were more people around. Here, he felt exposed and without refuge if things went sour. As outwardly as he tried to show himself as in control - especially when there was battle - he felt out of control here. There was only waiting and silence.

Martin remains wordless for a moment or two more. Then: "It is a splendid night. Cool, and a good sky like you said. But..." In the near-darkness, it is almost possible to see him gesture as he struggles for words. "Everything just seems...odd, here. Maybe it's just been a long day and I am ill at ease. This whole place sets me so, though. Whole world does, really. The world was simpler when I was younger - I knew who to set my blade against and why. Today? Dragons. Bloody hell," he grumbled quietly in closing.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

He laughs a bit in spite of himself - more of a chuckle, really - a bit of the stress melting away. "Ha, thankfully not," comments Martin softly, but with a bit more good cheer than before.

For a brief time he remains without sound again, listening; and it wasn't the wolves he was trying to hear, but footsteps or a rustling that wasn't from the wind. Neither of those came - at least for now. As long as that stayed true his friends at least could rest easily, he supposed, being oblivious as he was to the current plight of his dreaming compatriots. His own rest, he thought, would likely come more fitfully.

"I don't know much about wildlife, really. Enough to get by on my own but it seems most everyone here knows more than me. I was always more about people, I guess - how they act, how to fool people when you need to, how to get what you want or need to get or make them do what you need them to. Great fun and very useful, except out here." If the light were better, his dismissive shrug might have been more impactful, but here it was probably not even visible.

"I suppose we ought not to be too worried though. This sort of stuff is the difficult part - marching, following the trail, waiting in the middle of nowhere and hoping nothing bad happens. Once we get where we're going things will be a lot more straightforward, I do really believe that."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Ha! Well..." Martin pauses in his response, trying to find a diplomatic way of proceeding. "I said before my family had a landhold south and east of here. A fairly significant one. Towns, castles, and walls. I learned there, as my forebears did, to play the games of politics. Perhaps I learned badly; I instead ended up disguising myself to help the needy of the Barony. With guile and steel, with all I had. It was sure as hell no one else cared for anyone other than themselves."

Eyes downcast - if that was even noticeable in the minimal light - he continued on after a short pause for breath. "Perhaps my merciful nature did not help; I made myself seem non-threatening, but that made it easier for my father's steward to force me out." He shrugs. "I suppose I do not mind. I can be myself now. It rankles though that he of all people should have authority over anyone. Perhaps he knew what I was doing at night - that I knew the secrets of the wicked ones he tried to protect. I don't know for sure. All I know is I could not stay longer."

Finally, he looks up again. "I hope that makes things more plain; I am no scoundrel, but I would rather not speak more of it. You spoke of farms and the wilds: tell me more! I would gladly learn," he said, forcing a bit of good cheer into his words once more.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin reacted quickly as well, shifting to a one-knee-down kneel and placing a hand next to his sword-grip. "...what is it," he demanded quietly, unsure of what the problem might be but certainly concerned enough to take Lette's reaction seriously. There was no sense being less than vigilant here, anyway. With luck it was a false alarm and they could return to just passing the time until the next watch...but something in the back of his mind was just waiting for the next thing to go wrong, and maybe that was approaching rapidly now.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin, in his half-kneel, waited behind whatever foliage there was, slowly and quietly drawing his family's blade as he tried to assess the situation. There's no way of knowing exactly what is happening here; the light and the positioning makes it almost impossible for him to see who or what might be about to come upon them. Sword drawn, he begins to ready his cloak as well, preparing himself physically and mentally.

"Hurry, m'lady. If they strike I probably cannot hold them off alone forever," he whispered hoarsely, his words allowing for the possibility that he actually could do just that for long enough if it came down to it.

Ready jian, then cloak. If I still have time after that, then I'll have Martin take a wait action to stand and step back as soon as someone who isn't part of the group comes into view.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Balancing being exasperated with everyone's loudness and amused by the whole situation, he shakes his head vigorously in the darkness. "Oh my...well they certainly know how many of us there are now!" His whisper still manages to come out clearly thanks to his almost unnatural voice. He creeps a bit towards the foliage, trying to get a look through while still concealing himself, still listening to the others as they wake. Whatever it is they were awoken from wasn't good, it seems, but there's no time to ask more. He pushes it out of his mind and tries desperately to figure out the other apparent imminent danger.

PER 11, Stealth 14, as necessary.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"While you're all awake, if you don't mind telling what exactly you are blathering about, we might be all the better for it." There was no humor or friendliness in his tone now. Enough strangeness had happened in the last few days; if there was more, he would know of it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Hmph. I am tired, but...I am not sure I want to risk sleep, so I agree with you as far as that goes," said Martin with a shake of his head. "Hopefully their second try is better; I will certainly want them to explain in the morning. Though I doubt anything they tell me will make any sense," he added with a hint of skepticism.

After a time spent silently listening, he looks at Lette through the darkness, head tilted to one side slightly. "Do you ever get the feeling that everything which can go wrong is doing? Certainly everything is very strange right now. It doesn't seem as though we are quite safe from strangeness anywhere. Does it seem that way to you, or am I just over-reacting?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Well, I suppose strange is relative. It is all strange to me though, which is good enough," he replies dryly. The world had changed, one way or another. "I have never seen much of anything like any of what's happened recently. Soon I might stop being surprised at some of these things." That was probably unlikely.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Silently and solemnly, he considers the question for a moment. His reasons for being the man that he is always made sense in his head - but as skilled as he ever was with words the rest of the time, making his own raison d'etre sound right out loud was always difficult. In any case Martin preferred to do, to act, rather than consider the why of it - he had made a decision long ago, made solemn vows to himself and to whatever powers there were, and that was that.

"...nothing so nearly specific as you, I would think," he sighs after a moment, the words coming to him after seemingly fruitless searching in his mind. "I'm not looking for a person, or a thing, or anything like that. Were it so I could speak more easily. You love your brother, that's plain, yes? You'd give everything you have to find him, and make sure he's safe, yes?" Difficult as it was to do so in the dimness of the night, he looks Lette sharply in the eye, his face going deadly serious.

"Well, that is how I feel about people in general." His usually steely voice trembles just slightly, like a leaf. "I decided some time ago, as I became an adult, that the world is a heartless and cruel place. Even without the gods there was plenty of suffering to go around. We inflict it on each other as people; the world inflicts it on all of us too. I had a choice, or so I thought...I could go along with that, give in to despair and unkindness. Or...I could try to make it a little better, so that the meek need not live in fear, pain, or want. To try to make things a little closer to what it seems like they really ought to be, to make the world a bit more enjoyable for those with little to be joyful for. It's what I decided I wanted. My choice. No one had to tell me to do it."

His expression softens somewhat, but the eye contact remains. "Does that make sense? I know it seems a bit overly sentimental, you know? I just want things to be better. Even if it's only a little bit, even if it's a drop in the sea. The cloak flowing in the breeze, the witty banter and the acrobatics, most of it is just so I can have a little fun while I try to go about doing this impossible thing I've sworn myself to. It's an act, even though it's part of me. Helps keep me from becoming a real lunatic." With a shrug and a sheepish grin, he concludes with, "I hope you don't find that all to be crazy."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Not always concrete. Yes, I think that sounds right. I suppose it's easier for you than me, the reason you do what you do, at least in the short-term. Sometimes it is hard for me to find the best way to help people. Sometimes things go badly, sometimes I don't know what to do. I keep going though." He sighs almost wistfully.

"It's alright if it doesn't make much sense to you. I mean, it does not make sense to me all the time either! When you look at everything, though, when you look at the whole world, it is hard for me to say that anything else makes much sense at all either."

"Tell me," he continued inquisitively, speaking softly, "when you find your brother, what will you do then? Will you just go home, or do you not know yet? I guess maybe it's a hard question to answer, but have you given it thought?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Well, who knows? Maybe he will be on the way and the two of you can have a good reunion," says Martin with a smile and a laugh, slipping back into his more comfortable, cheerful demeanor. It was almost as if the previous bits of conversation hadn't happened.

"I'm sure whatever happens, you will find something that works for you."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

As if in a daze, Martin stepped slowly through the worn-down streets of his old home, wide eyes moving in all directions in disbelief. This was almost an impossibility...but it felt all too real, his worst fears confirmed. Always, there had been a part of his mind that told him: if you leave, things can only get worse. Give in, give up, run away, and everything you worked towards could perish. How could this have happened so soon, though? How could this be? His family name not even fit to be displayed in public only weeks later? All the people - proud before - now broken? Absurd. Absurd, and yet real. Fear and doubt on every corner, fear and doubt that slowly took hold of his own mind.

Looking nearly white as a sheet, half-panicking, he eventually finds it in himself to confront the nearest person. Struggling for words in his despair, Martin can only manage - desperately - to ask one question: "What...happened here?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

The first thing that was strange upon Martin's awakening was that he actually felt awake, the usual heavy fog in his mind blown clear by...something. He was not sure what exactly, and it was a pleasant surprise. The fear and doubt from his dream had melted away as well; in general, he felt better than he had in years. And yet...something was amiss. He knew something had happened, but could not place his finger on what, how or why. Still, in his present good mood he was unconcerned about that. Worry could wait - here as a beautiful morning, and for once his eyes and his mind could enjoy it.

He quickly and cheerily went about his chores and preparations for the day with a "Good morning!" here and there, his voice strong and carrying an uncharacteristic amount of enthusiasm for the hour.

When the camouflaged person from the night before makes an appearance, he stops what he is doing to listen, offering a short and polite bow. He of course will have questions - but for now, the others can speak first.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Listening intently and nodding his head while Isit and the newcomer speak, Martin rolls thoughts through his mind. Certainly, if these people had wanted to kill him and his friends, they would have done so already - the fact that battle had not yet come was a clear indicator that if nothing else, Mary and her stealthy band were not outright threats at this point in time, at least to his friends. That - along with his general feeling of good cheer, rested-ness and vigor - set him well at ease. There was, however, some lingering feeling of...something, that he pushes aside once again.

"Well, m'lady, as long as you and your friends keep steel pointed away from us, then all's well," pipes up Martin cheerfully, but with at least a hint of sarcasm. "I, after all, also appreciate not being killed in the dark." Silently, he hopes these people were as good at fighting as they were at sneaking. After all, Martin was out to right a whole host of wrongs, and that was going to require a little hard work. The centaurs they sought to deal with were of course only the current, the now, the upcoming feature.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

As the newcomers disappear back into the fields, Martin shrugs dismissively. "Strange people, but at least they don't want to murder us, which is a nice change of pace, my friends," he notes dryly, with only a very slight grin to mark it as a joke. Isit's words, meanwhile, elicit a nod from the swordsman. "I am sure we will find something, one way or another. Perhaps not what we want to find, but certainly something. We may want to fish if we find running water, too - save the dry stuff for when we really need it, yes?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"This whole land is of an ill sort," says Martin after a time, a slightly annoyed and bitter sneer developing across his face. "Where is the life? The noise? The silence drives me nearly mad." He makes an angry, dismissive gesture with his arms and hands, looking like the conductor of an orchestra as much as anything else. More than anything, he was bored and on edge - expecting something strange to happen and consistently faced with banal, insignificant nothings instead.

As they approach the hill, he looks up, intrigued. To Isit in particular, he notes, "If there's anyone to see we've likely been seen. But, I should like to get a good view of our surroundings. Perhaps we should make for the hill itself?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"An ill land," Martin repeats solemnly as they come upon the site of the killings. "Clearly set upon by stealth. It could be our friend the Northerner is right," he sighs as he begins to creep around the campsite, looking to find out a bit more. They didn't know much about who these people had been and why they were there - and Martin, sick and tired of feeling as though everything around him made no sense, decided he ought to seize the chance to make sense of it himself.

Search and Observation 11, looking for anything that might indicate who the corpses are and where they may have come from - heraldry, personal effects, footprints, anything that might be of use as information.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Well, this is certainly more than I expected us to find. A stroke of luck, eh?" The once (and future?) heir to Wallin County nods as if in answer to himself, looking as pleased as a butcher's dog. Now they had information. Now, instead of fumbling in the dark, there was some semblance of a sense to what was going on, which was exactly what Martin had hoped would happen if they came up here to the hill - though not nearly in this way.

"So we know there are campfires, thanks to our keen-eyed friend here," he says, gesturing to Lo'el. "We know at least some of the people there may come from the North, thanks to our friend the Northerner. I think we can guess this army is a new one, as our deceased friends here don't exactly have matching gear." Turning to Dolan, his voice takes on a more solemn quality. "If you are right that it is a rebellion, and what we know about this area is true, then likely it is a simple, and desperate response to a lack of food and water. So they come south, where they know there are good lands. If I am wrong, then someone say so, but I think I am on the right trail here."

"I believe we ought to send word back as quickly as possible. If there is a way that any of you through magic might do so, and thus we can press on, I would find that to be good. I should like to find out more about this army, but we ought not to leave Noah in the dark in the face of this."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

The swordsman looks at Alec quizzically. "Crime? It is dishonorable, I will grant - fighting ought to be face to face, one against one. But look: here we have an army. That is war, and there are different rules than the ones you and I are used to. Especially in these times. Dishonorable, yes, and perhaps it deserves a reckoning someday; and if those that did this can defend themselves against such a challenge then the matter is settled. Crime, though...I just don't know if that's the right word."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Dark news. Well, it's better that we know it, anyway." Shapeshifters, muses Martin, are a very bad sign - if true, anyway. He still has some trouble grasping the more absurd elements of their journeys so far. He is also slightly bemused by Isit's superstitions about the dead, but says nothing out loud about it. Instead, he clears his throat as he begins to move with conviction back the way they came. "Isit is right though," he says afterwards. "We cannot stay here, we need to move quickly."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin, meanwhile, is watching the horizon (such as it can be seen through the corn) and the skies while the others do their work. There was still a part of his mind that didn't quite 'get' magic, even in light of recent events; and after Dolan's initial struggles during the battle outside Noah there was some skepticism as well. In any case he'd leave the magic to the mages and focus on everything else, a stern look on his face while he gazed into the distance.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Hmm." Martin considers Isit's plan for a moment, callused fingers idly playing with his now slightly scruffier-looking beard. As if his thoughts were turning into a war within his head, his right hand raises to the bridge of his nose, and he closes his eyes, looking uncomfortable.

Then he grins, looking almost slightly manic, and looks up. "Well! Here we certainly have some dangerous work. I would be remiss if I did not volunteer myself. If no one else is keen on throwing themselves into the lion's den, I would do so gladly and spare you the risk. Besides, I've some skill at remaining unseen, although I confess this is not my preferred place to try those talents."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Alright." With a steely glint in his eye, Martin nods affirmatively, then drops his pack, detaches his coin-purse from his belt, and drops it on top with a clink. "The less noise the better, and I'll not need any of this save the water. We should eat before we go and travel light as possible. If the rest of you would be so kind as to watch my things until I return," he adds with a self-satisfied grin, "I would be most obliged. I leave it to you should the unthinkable happen." He does not see this as a possibility, of course. Even if cornered or captured, he would yet find a way out. He always did. Long would Wallin's champion walk free, no matter the odds.

"Now let's set about making ourselves a bit harder to see, eh?"

Camouflage defaults to Survival-2, so 9. I'll use extra effort to add +2 if applicable, and if one of the others can successfully help, if that's even a thing, then that could also raise it I guess? Also if Disguise helps, it's at 12. Of the equipment, anything marked as being in the backpack is dropped, save the wineskin.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin stops and stares quizzically at the faun, his swagger momentarily set aside. Blinking, he takes a moment to drag the words back from the corners of his mind, words that seemed to temporarily flee in his shock. "...huh. Well, I understand. You are a brave one, master faun, although I think you know less of what you are getting into here. And I could hardly let someone put themselves at risk in my place. It is my fate to do that for others instead. You are willing, though, and perhaps you might do well in other ways than I."

With a soft, contemplative expression - more philosopher than swashbuckling hero here - he shrugs and looks over at Isit. "This is your plan - so I leave it to you. If you think it would be safer for Lo'el than myself, I will accept that decision and make sure the others here are safe. I would rather go, of course, but it is more important that we ensure information comes back to Noah."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"If you say it will help, I certainly trust you on that," said Martin coolly, trying his best to stand as still as possible. He had an idea of what was about to be done, and he understood the principle, even if he was less adept at applying it as others in his company might be. "And if I might say so, before you begin: you volunteered to go, knowing what could happen. Perhaps not because you didn't understand the danger, but just because you wanted to help...hm." If he was not standing perfectly still, he would shrug; instead he merely smiles warmly. "That is bravery, even if you say otherwise."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin's cheeks briefly flash a little red - at least as much as that can be seen under the mud - and then he grins. "Ha, well, I guess I should have expected that! Lucky for you I said I would stand still..." It was good that the others could retain some good humor; they would need it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Hmph." Martin says nothing else, thinking it almost slightly incomprehensible that those expressing the need for such stealth would spend so many words right now. Quietly, he draws his sword, and starts to slowly and quietly sneak to the right, crouching low, giving him some space in the hopes of being able to circle around later, should their pursuers find them. The bow, of course, would be near useless for him here; he would have to get close again.

Stealth 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

'This may be crazy enough to work,' thinks Martin wryly to himself as he continues to slowly and quietly sneak to his right, hoping to open up enough of a gap that he could deal with the gnolls easily. The ruse didn't bother him, and his friends' loudness simply would make it easier for him to do his work - or at least he hoped so. If they could manage this, they could make their escape and make sure Noah was informed. Then, he supposed, war would begin - which he was not looking forward to. In pitched battle there was little personal glory; surely only one-on-one could a man be assured of honor.

• Locked thread