Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin

"I suppose most fall short of the ideal, but that hardly means there is no cause for worry. Anyway." Martin looks off down the waterfront. "If we are going to do this, we will need to observe one of their hideouts for a spell. Make note of their comings and goings and so on. Suppose I cannot complain much about not fighting fair, since they certainly were first to that particular indignity," notes the Baron, as if justifying it to himself. "In any case that will allow us to set things up for the best effect. And of course we will need to be ready to fight in case anything goes wrong. Now that we know how tough they can be it will at least make it less of a surprise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"We already have a few extra sets of eyes working for us, easy enough to redirect them. And I expect the destitute or refugees would stand the best chance of escaping our quarry's notice," says Martin, referring to his prior spreading around of coin-for-surveillance. "So the question, then, is..."

He stops suddenly as Lette just as suddenly wanders off. "Or there's other options, I suppose," he says.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Fire might trap some of them inside. Of course, depending on how you do it, those that make it out will be aware something has been done so to speak. They will be wary." His grin does not seem to show any worry - indeed, it's almost as if he hopes the trap only works just well enough that he can end an Eagle or three himself. "Let them be wary. I hardly think it is fighting fair, but this is war, and in any case they never fought fair from the start." And it was at least marginally fairer than the poison, at any rate.

"Of course..." Martin thinks a second. "If there's anything of value in there - secrets of theirs - fire might risk destroying it. Of course they are also probably smart enough not to leave such things lying around." He shrugs. "In any case, something proving who they really are would be good to have after we are done. I am sure the townsfolk would love to see proof of their attackers being brought to such justice."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 1, 2014

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Well." He grins a bit more widely. "Magical fire aside, the rest of this plan is not entirely unfamiliar to me. I can be unseen and unheard, with care. And locks are little obstacle either. So, if you need to get into that place without being seen, Lette, I may well be able to provide, and help deal with any traps." Suddenly he stands straight, and Martin in stature and face looks almost a decade younger.

"Though I suppose," he says after turning to Dolan, "assistance of a magical sort will not be refused." Martin pauses then, looking off towards the structure that held their quarry. Then, with a look at Isit, he says: "And I am not the only one given to stealth, and I could use someone to cover me and keep me safe. As you did the last time we faced these sorts, dear."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"I am not sure either," says Martin. "But, I'll not be unaware of traps if there are any. And I trust you to pin down any who might harry us." He touches his lips with one hand as he looks at Isit, then winks. "Assuming I cannot bring down any such devils myself, that is."

With that, he nods to Lette as he steps forth. "If we are doing this, then let's not delay."

Stealth 14. Traps 11, 14 with Single-Minded if it comes up. Let's do this poo poo. Also Lockpicking 13, or 16 with Single-Minded.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 4, 2014

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Hmph. I had hoped there would be something more here," Martin mumbles, thinking out loud as they survey everything. Getting in had been almost frightfully easy; but for the first time in quite some time, Martin felt like he was playing on his own turf, moving with ease and poise. That poise and care helped with the traps, as well. Yet there was unfortunately little to do but set their own trap and get out again. No new knowledge, no nothing - but then, all their enemies had been playing this game and planning for it far longer. Better then to be unpredictable, chaotic. Which seemed to be Lette's thought as well, and though he cannot place what exactly it is she plans, Martin can only assume it to be to his liking, and he nods approvingly.

"At least," he whispers as they quickly sneak away, "our enemies will find something more."

PER 12 to make sure nothing pops out at us or whatnot.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

He doesn't say a word - nor did he need to, given the report. Part of him yearned for a chance to test steel against the self-proclaimed defenders of Ardan's vision - but they were not here, and the trap would be wasted to wait for them. All he does is nod in response, then motion subtly with both eyes and hand towards the line of buildings Isit had vaulted over.

And before waiting for a response, he is walking - briskly, but nonchalantly as if nothing was wrong - in that direction. Their quarry would return; search to see what was disturbed, muster, and be obliterated. Those that remained would meet the four that remained of their enemies.

The hunt is on.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Hmph." He gives Skoll a pat on the head anyway - it was more than pertinent, but as Lette had said, that could wait. Martin's pace quickens as they backtrack again. "Dangerous as it is, we may want to split up when we get there," Martin suggests quietly. "I'm sure Isit can give cover if something goes wrong, until we can regroup. But more space covered means more chance of provoking a reaction." Given how quickly their quarry had bolted, it could work if they got there quick enough. And if they weren't quick enough, there were other ways to find what they sought.

As Martin considers it all he grins. Few would call him old, but in the moment he feels truly young again. He had learned, in the last few weeks, the follies of his decisions as a younger man, his spurning of his own position in life - but he did have a particular set of experiences for just this sort of moment, and the rush of returning to his prior reckless daring was irresistible. Especially in pursuit of this enemy, one that threatened family, friends, patron and all the living besides.

PER 12, Shadowing 13 if it helps at all when we get there.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

It had been several long days of hunting, and little quarry or blood to show for it. It had, at that, still not been a total loss. Surely, at least by Martin's reckoning, the Eagles must have spent quite a long time establishing their little hideaways; having all of them compromised so thoroughly had to at least be some kind of detriment. That was something. But with all that done it seemed there was naught else left to do aside from discuss contingencies, and try to enjoy the days and nights given to them before the coming storm reached the walls of Noah. Days and nights too few in number.

Even a child, with no real understanding of war, could tell that something was coming. The distant din of mustering troops in other quarters of the city; the walls; and mostly, the constant tension and fear from the people. Soon enough that storm and those walls would meet.

The note they receive is just the latest harbinger of that storm, and Martin eyes it with some degree of annoyance. "Suppose it could not take her forever," he says, having hoped for at least another day, without expecting as much. "I suppose, too, that his Lordship will be planning to meet her and see if there is any chance left to avoid this mess."

The Baron frowns, unconvinced; after all, if he and his friends could barely move the Queen, it seemed that the harder way of resolving this was more likely. "Given that, I suppose we all ought to make ready." To Isit, he chuckles. "I don't expect she would do that unless she thought it to be a good test. I'm sure even His Lordship would agree it isn't." To the other suggestion of doom he makes no response; their meddling would either succeed or it wouldn't.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 8, 2014

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

The Baron spends a long time - or at least, what for him is a long time - without a single word to say. But finally his voice stirs. "To be honest," Martin admits, "I am stumped. Reason tells me it's unlikely they plan to enact their ritual in that manner, if only because I expect that whatever they are doing is quite elaborate. It's not how many they kill, or even who they kill, but how."

"But if we accept that then it leaves us nowhere, and we have precious little time to find ourselves somewhere instead. drat them all." He grits his teeth, and looks off. "And there's the other half of things to consider too. No good, any of this. But I can't help but shake the feeling that...if we had but one more bit of information to go on, we'd have them. So let's go over everything, one more time."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"It's useful to know, but it still leaves us with no direction to start looking." Maybe they'd just have to luck into it. But it was awfully late to be relying on luck with these stakes. "We cannot afford to keep grasping at straws like this. We need to puzzle this out soon, else we'll be here all day," grumbles Martin. "And I suppose I don't have to say that we don't have all day."

He pauses a moment, before beginning to think out loud. "It'll be underground, or outside the city proper. We flushed the safehouses we knew of, so it has to be somewhere not on that map. But also somewhere they would have been able to prepare things, likely for some time."

"Where do we know that matches that?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

There had been nothing left to try except for that one gamble, and precious little time to try anything else had they come up empty. But by the time they found the bodies it was clear that the gamble was a good one, even if the trail seemed to lead up and not down as expected. Perhaps there was a reason for that, something about the ritual, some other factor. But the Baron has little time to consider such things as he clambers upwards.

For even one as magically disinclined as Martin, the feeling of something is inescapable, and even without that, he could hear them, too. As he hauls himself onto the roof, his mind turns to the Huntress, a plea for her to watch over him as he and his friends take the fight to the enemy. Then, using the spire for cover, he lays low and pokes his head over the edge of the roof again for his friends' benefit.

He doesn't dare speak above a whisper; indeed, he hardly does more than mouth the words. "They're here," murmurs Martin. "Not much room to hide." With that, he pulls himself back up, sliding over behind the spire once more, and taking a quick peek or two out from the side to see what there was to see.

PER 12, Observation 12, Stealth 14. Is there line of sight to where the chanting is coming from from where we are? And are there any other spires/outcroppings nearby to shuffle over towards?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

He quickly scans back and forth from his perch behind one of the outcroppings, but unfortunately the architecture simply wasn't arranged for what Martin was hoping. But then, time would seem to be the more pressing concern. Two minutes was not much.

It would have to be enough.

Martin unhooks his cloak, laying it over his arm, and draws steel with the other. He was going to have to get close in a hurry, and their advance would not be unopposed. So be it. "Cover's not placed well," he whispers to the others. "Can't see them from here, reckon they'll see us when we move." Then he smiles. "So we'll just have to get to them quick. Luck to all of you."

Of course, that didn't mean the cover wouldn't be important to making sure they could all get close enough to stop them. Martin pauses a half-second, then spins around the spire and launches himself at the next closest useful outcropping. They might see him as he runs, but, well - not for long. And it wasn't as though his quarry didn't know someone was there already. The time for being careful was over.

Acrobatics 14 if it helps to cover the distance; and just in case, noting this here: Parry Missile Weapons base 12, +2 from cloak, for 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Seems strange, you know. I was just starting to get used to this place. But I suppose...there is little work left here to do."

Noah's gates stood not far off in the fading light, taller and more formidable than they had seemed when the man had first looked upon them. But Martin, son of Lucien, First of his Name, rightful Baron of Wallin was hardly the same man as he was a scant few weeks ago, nor was anyone there. A lifetime lived in the time before the moon had gotten back to the same spot in the sky, and after it all ended, when they could finally all breathe again, the world was hardly the same either. For Martin's part, the journey and the celebration of peace seemed to leave him with little energy, perhaps as much because it was all over as anything else.

But there was no time to dwell on it all, or to give in to that tiredness. There was still work to be done, and the sudden outbreak of peace in this corner of the land had renewed his faith. The uncharted lands of the future beckoned. Other lands. Other crises. Other enemies. And somehow, through it all, a faint scent of copper and blood still lingered in his mind, pushing him on. A faint grayness lurked at the edges of his vision. Perhaps it would never leave.

"I seem to recall," says Baron Martin de Mignolet-d'Avre, "there was a plan for when this mess had ended. When history was done being written." As he speaks, whatever weight his shoulders had borne for the hours before floats away. When he first came to this place, what he was about to suggest he would have dreaded; now, it was unquestionable. All that remained was to see who would go with him.

"Yes, plans." He looks to everyone in turn. "A castle, and titles to give, and a promise to keep. Isn't that right, darling?" He gives Isit a wink. "Friends to find - and enemies too. I suppose that holds no matter what any of us choose," he adds more somberly as he turns to Lette. "Mistakes of those from the past to set right," Martin concludes with a glance and a nod to Dolan.

"After all," he says with a sly smile as he looks off towards the walls again, a gleam in his eye, "we haven't run out of history yet." He points off in the distance, to the southeast. "Straight on 'til morning?"

Since the thread was left open if we wanted to do sendoffs, I just wanted to say: It's been a great run. A hell of a ride. Regardless of how it turned out in the end, I've got no regrets, everyone was amazing, and I wouldn't trade it at all. So let's all take our ride off into the sunset and close the book.

• Locked thread