Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Maybe you'll find someone who recognizes what you're looking for. I sure as hell don't." Pausing, she thinks for a moment. "Maybe a few nobles have decent libraries. But they are private as hell, and would never let a north man into them unless you did them a favor, or had something on them." Isit shrugs at his talk of foes. "All I know is you just keep throwing things at something until it does damage, then bring it down. And really, what exactly do you need to fight, that requires rare tomes, and lost knowledge. You'd figure useful information would already be out there."

Raising both eyebrows, she continues. "A berserker keeps fighting, even if he knows he will die, or can retreat. You were acting like one, what with all the yells about dying at that god, Chair-us? And yeah, I'm talking about running. Our job is to get information for the city, not take on what we find. It might involve lots of sneaking around, and less fighting. If we're lucky. Basically, I want to know If you'll seek out fights we don't have to engage in." With that, Isit takes a sip of her ale. "This is rather nice. Might have some wine before I sleep, you folks get wine in the north?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"You think dying in a fight is a good death?" Isit gives Alec an incredulous look, but shakes her head and says nothing more. Wanting to die in battle seemed a sort of insanity to her, a worship of death. The northerners were strange indeed. But his answer was fine for now. Shrugging, she continues to drink.

Nodding at the others as they arrives, she shows little interest until a map is produced. "We'll be skirting the road then. Leading the horses and walking likely. Riders stand out on grasslands. This isn't gonna be fun if they set up ambushes."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"And I'd suggest not doing magic in a tavern. Don't want it backfiring."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

As soon as Alec starts chanting, the elf backs her chair up, stands, and heads to the bar.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Drinking from another mug of ale, Isit catches Alec's explanation, and laughs before leaning forward. "Alec. A glowy rock ruins night vision, and will serve as a loving beacon to archers. Especially at night. And if the archers are armored, the rocks won't do poo poo. I killed two dozen men who had the bright idea to cast those on their weapon, and use it to find the trenches at night. Do not make any more. Please." Dropping her voice to a whisper, she continues. "And you have gotten the attention of everyone in this place. If we were to have a relatively private conversation, our chance is gone now. Stealth remember?"

NoControl fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 30, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit stares, stone faced, at Martin, before shrugging and speaking quietly. "You should nurture a bit more paranoia Martin, you'll live longer. Can we at least move to a private room if they have one, or a a secluded table? You might not mind the spotlight, but some of us do."

Spending some of my crapiforgottobuythat CP on:
Survival Plains 2cp
Survival Forest 2p
Tracking 2 cp
Total 6

NoControl fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 31, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf picks up the note, and grins briefly, before tucking it into her pocket. This was more like it, subterfuge and back stabbing were things she knew. Still smiling like a shark, she whispers once more. "Eat, and we will plan tomorrow once outside the gates. I have hunted men, been hunted, and dragged corpses through the wilderness to get my bounty. You all will learns ears are everywhere. For now, eat and act like old acquaintances. " Grinning, she plucks a chunk of bread off her plate, and resumes a conversational volume. "Alright Martin, I forgive you for not liking my bow, but can we just agree that dagger fighting is dumb? I mean they end up with more scars than veterans the way they go." Raising an eyebrow, she looks to Alec and Lette in turn, hoping to return to some sembalance of a common conversation. "You both agree, yes?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf shrugs. "Safer inside at night, and I'm sure most of us feel like a horse kicked us. Anyways, Let us eat, and have a nice meal, as Alec intended, yes?" Glancing at Lo'el, she smiles brightly. "I gotta tell you, I think the spear is your weapon. Use it much in that herd of yours? Speaking of, are all of your race men? That's what I heard." Sipping from the beer, she waits for his response, even offense was better than his nervousness at this point.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf takes a bit of meat, and chews with a thoughtful look. "Well a guy I was supposed to take in tried to challenge me to to a dagger fight. I said I accepted, then shot him through the leg when he wasnt looking. Little gently caress played passed out, then tried to stab face. Only got my leg. What an rear end." Taking another bite, she shrugs. "Least he wasn't a wizard. Never take them jobs."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Heh, kind. Charity had nothing to do with it. That rear end was worth double the amount alive. And I needed the gold. That's how I got enough to buy the Heartbre...um, my bow." Coughing, she decides to stick with water the rest of the night. Wouldn't do to be chatty. She nods at Martin's suggestion. "A song would be interesting, yes."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods at the others heading to sleep, was a decent idea. She'd head out too, but after this song. They were decent, the lass and the faun. After they finish, she stands, and waves at them. "Get to bed you kids. Need some sleep if I'm training you in archery. Aim is the first thing to suffer." With that she heads upstairs to her small room. Placing a noisy pitcher in front of the door, and one in front of the window, she sighs. Didn't have time for a better alarm, but that'd do. Didn't want some rear end in a top hat getting the jump on her. After making the warding gestures in all four directions to fend off ghosts, Isit finally settles down to sleep, holding the hilt of the knife hidden under her pillow.

Stacking a few noisy objects in front of door and window to wake her up if intruders try a thing.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Upon waking, Isit carefully examines her room, before determining that everything was in it's place. Washing her face, the elf pulls her hair into a french braid before venturing from her room. Knocking lightly on the door of each of her companions as she walks down the hall, she turns to descend the stairs and enter the tavern. Hopefully they'd join her soon, Isit was eager to be off. Beckoning to one of the staff, she produces a coin. "Bread, cheese, and dried meat if you have it. Better make it for six, and wrapped if you can." Getting them up, and out of the city was her first priority. They could eat while riding hopefully.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods at the others as they file into the room. "Yes, after they get healed, we meet up and drill. I got us some food so we don't have to take a break. Figure we can borrow the equipment, then get to work." Isit smiles, keeping up the charade. Ears were everywhere after all. "We'll have a full day."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf glares at Lo'el before heaving an exhasperated sigh. "By the gods, let's just leave. I'll fill you in when we get there. Until then, try to keep the chatter down."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit scowls. "No time for errands Alec. Stay with us, or stay and read."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Looking more disgruntled by the second, Isit gestures to the others. "Let's get going. I have no desire to delay further. Martin, you set up a few thing, yes?" Heading to the palace with a scowl on her face, the elf tries to let go of her frustration. It proves to be a futile effort, so instead, she checks the supplies. The captain gets a nod. "How are thing on your end, no odd occurances?" Turning to Lette, she smiles. "You'll be learning a good deal about tracking thinking beasts soon, if I have anything to say about it."

NoControl fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 4, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Lette gets a good friendly eye roll at that statement. "Nope, entirely different. Animals don't set traps." The elf nods at the dwarf. "Yes, let's." Pausing, she looks to the captain. "Is there a discreet gate we can leave from? I would rather not alert any watchers if they are present."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She shrugs. "Well, it's worth a try. Some cities have less obtrusive gates for nobles and such." She shrugs. "Not like it's likely with Alec, he'll probably paint himself blue...and, I dunno set his hair on fire. Northerners."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit grins seemingly full of cheer. "No cooking this trip. I'm sure people will be trying to track us too. That means no fires, except in emergencies."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf gives Alec a look of exhasperation when he approaches. " Staying up for days is a good way to get butchered in a fight." Rolling her eyes, she points at Lo'el and Alec. " You two, put your hoods up and try to look less conspicuous. Alec please try not to talk until we are out of sight of the city. You draw too much attention because of how you act, and it could cause us danger, understand?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Looking at the faun's legs, she sighs. Even pants wouldn't begin to cammoflague him. "Furry,and your legs bend funny. Suppose it's good you never expressed interest in being a spy. Guess we'll just have to keep you surrounded. Eh, not like we can't jump anyone that follows us once we leave."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"That does not even make sense." The elf cocks her head to the side and stares."Urgh. Try slouching a little and stow the spear while in city. That might work." Waving her hand, she sighs. "Let's just go. Remember not to do anything foolish."

NoControl fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 6, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She nods at the faun. "Good man. If anyone asks, you're helping me get a bounty on a few bandits. Martin and I will do the talking."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Ha! Knowing when to keep quiet is a marker of wisdom beyond your years. I wish I had known that when I was your age." She smiles, shaking her head. Lo'el was naive, but the faun was growing on her. Clearly she was going soft, after year hunting instead of warring.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit sighs upon seeing Alec's attempt at disguise. "Don't over do it, just stoop your shoulders, and don't talk. You got an accent."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Giving up, Isit turns to Martin. "I must ask, do you have experience traveling between towns? A good deal of people these days do not, and I was hoping at least another of us was skilled in surviving the roads. I've worked a few caravans and bounties myself, have you had cause to do that, or did you not need work?" Looking at the others, she nods. "Well let us go."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I suppose that's true enough. Hope for inept enemies, and prepare for competent ones." The elf shrugs. "What can I say? I am a paranoid woman who enjoys arguing."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Raising an eyebrow, she nods at Dolan. "Why thank you dwarf." She can't help keep a hint of humor out of her voice. It was good to have a proper task after chasing bounties so long. It seemed proper, even if she was among the strange and untested. But she wasn't acting like Donnel would have expected from a promising young corporal. Especially if new people were looking to her for instruction. The northman might be a bit obtuse, but I've been bitchy. Pinching the bridge of her nose, she sighs. "I perhaps owe all of you an apology for being in bad temper. I dislike drawing attention because I have people that would very much like to kill me. Sometimes my worries get the best of me, and I can go overboard."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods at the two younger people. "Good. I am glad to know of your skills. Between us, we should have some luck tracking, and keeping out of the rain."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

As far as she could, Isit was enjoying herself. Fresh air, no ambushes, and a lovely breeze. Then the dragon was spotted. She'd never seen one, and didn't relish the idea of it. Someone had told her they were devilishly clever, which would make the situation worse if true. Immediately Isit drops to a crouch, and starts inching away from th mule. "Leave it. Spook the mule and the dragon will likely go after it instead of us. Give it's rump a smack to get it running." Still backing up, the elf glances nervously at the sky. "Spread out and keep quiet."

Cammo 12
Stealth 13

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf looks into the sky, eyes widening to a degree that would be comical in most situations. "Oh for gently caress's sake." The dragon was diving, and it sort of looked like it was going for her. Not wanting to find out if this was paranoia, or intuition, Isit runs for her life, and prays the creature is fond of mule.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Staring at the sky, Isit watches the dragon fly off towards the north. She remains still for a moment, shocked into silence. But shock quickly turns into exhilaration. "Holy gently caress! What was that about? Is that thing sick? Does it live near the centaurs. I hope it eats a few." Brushing the corn stalks off of her armor, she pants for breath for a moment before continuing. "Dolan, your a wizard, why dis the dragon smell like a pastry?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Well, I thought wizards knew these sorts of things." Shrugging, she orients herself. "If that dragon was connected to the centaurs, which it very well may be, we shall be spotted no matter where we are on this blasted plain if it comes for another pass. Is anyone hurt? Let's collect ourselves, as much as we can after that drat dragon."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods at Lo'el and Martin's words. Cover would be good. Anything was better than that dragon at this point. "Let's double time it to those tracks, and pray they head to the woods. Otherwise, as you both said, we're sitting ducks if that beast comes back."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf raises an eyebrow at Lette. "Fenton?" With a faint smile, she checks the mule over. "Yes, well plains are terrible to hide in, and I prefer to stay hidden. A little easier to detect an ambush, but the enemy can usually see you as well as you can see them. Especially if they are a dragon." Giving a rueful laugh, she hitches up her backpack. "In one battle, my detachment was sent to scout enemy lines in cover like this. Nearly a full three days of crawling in the mud wasted when one of us was spotted by a wizard flying overhead. Sent a nasty fireball down that killed half a dozen men. Smelled awful, and the rest of us had to play dead, or lay hidden until he moved on. Singed all my hair off too." Coughing, she shakes her head. "Lets get going. Don't want a repeat of that."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf stares at Lo'el for a moment before shrugging. "Perhaps later." With that, she concentrates on her work before she and the rest head out.

Some time later, the group comes to a halt, as the elf glares at the the setting sun. "This will have to do. No sense tracking at night. Let's see about getting a little more off the path, and finding a likely spot. No fires I think, between the smoke, and the chance of setting this entire place on fire, it's best not to chance it. And we should keep as quiet as we can, noise carries around here." Fussing with her pack, she starts to search for her kit. "Maybe not tents either, unless it threatens to rain. And we should take turns with watches as well. I'll set up snares, maybe we can catch something, and chance making a very small, and very banked fire in the morning."

Survival Plains 13, Tracking 13 Setting snares, looking for a decent spot to camp that wont flood if rained on.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Trips like this are what travel rations are for, unfortunately. I even got a few of those dreadful biscuits I had in the army. Not good eating, but it'll do." Pausing, she considers the matter of watches. "Let's spread ourselves out between the young ones. I'll go third, and Lette or Lo'el can go second."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The ruin of battle was familiar to her, and indeed, this one didn't raise a chill as much as a sense of familiarity. It was almost comfortable. Probably a dream, but perhaps she had come to after the fight, somehow miraculously spared. But the quiet disturbed her. That was out of place. There should be screaming, and faint movement, at the very least. Not to mention the surge of scavengers after a good battle. Usually the littlest squires and helpers, along with the walking wounded would be picking through this place, occasionally stopping to slit the neck of a man dying badly.

Lost in her thoughts for a moment, she startles, spins around, and leaps back a few feet upon hearing the moan. Stooping down slightly, she looks about, dearly wishing she had a living companion about. "loving hell, is someone alive?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Kneeling down, Isit reaches for her dagger. She knew what had to be done, and had done it before. Still, she never forgot a one, and they often played starring roles in her nightmare. Letting the man die on his own might help with the nightmares, but wouldn't be right. As if right had anything to do with a dying soldier. Stroking the cheek that isn't torn up, she whispers to the man. "Hush now, close your eyes and rest. Everything will be fine, just rest now." She would wait for the man to close his eyes before slitting his neck. Luckily for him, she had practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She starts at the bird, torn between the suffering man, and the novelty of a bird talking to hoer. The creature clearly knew what it was talking about, because the soldier wouldn't die, and was just in worse pain. She opens her mouth to speak, but shakes her head. Time she took talking would just prolong the man's suffering. Gripping her dagger, she stares at the man, imagining a knife cutting his soul free from it's flesh, free from the blood around him, and free from the battlefield. Imagining the ties severing, she grips the weapon tighter still. "Go now....please... It will stop."

• Locked thread