Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"As have I, I should invite you to my town. My friend Rothgard? Lost a finger. He never was very quick for sure. He called a girl so pretty that she lit up the sky like Weß. Good girl married him later." Alec smiled genuinely and laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"Well, he was a lucky one. Now my wife was a bit more soft on me than others. Our friend Thoryn, however, tried to take her feasting one night she didn't feel like it. She told me it was an accident, and to be fair he should have dodged. Took off his throat and jaw with her knife, killed him. That was not a good day, and she was very crushed. Spent many a night at our home crying and drinking with us. It was quite touching, we gave her a room until she had overcome her sadness. I think it was more she was going to marry him, and in fact had acquired a good kill and was going to hold a marriage feast. She married another, I think she was rebounding but what can you do? The heart wants what it wants." Alec continued his tale standing next to Lo'el.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"Grim? It had a happy ending! The man died honorably, better to remember him in cheer than in sadness. She found her husband!" What a strange people these fauns. "Well then here is another story. Woman named Erica, we called her Erica the Bloody. Now this is not 'grim' so don't worry. She was the one woman everyone wanted and no one could get. I personally was married at the time, but I was alive, and could see why. So every gift, every proclamation, every deed was ignored until one day, she was presented by a fine deer from quite the good young warrior. She returned the young warrior's favors and to everyone's surprise married her on the spot. Of course, every man felt very foolish that day, can you imagine how the women treated them for months after? Hardly a word, Hel, I had never seen a feasting call so quiet. After all, their affections had been lavished all on the one that didn't want them, and ignored the others who might have. Erica is quite nice I had her and her wife over often." Alec winked to Lo'el and whispered in his ear, "Watch yourself, don't want to give out unwanted signals. Poor Lette doesn't look like she has ever taken so much drink."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He whispers back quickly, "Oh good, don't want to give ideas that you don't want to follow through." Alec slaps him on the back and smiles naturally at him.

"So you don't look much younger than me, tell me what of your wife. Surely, you have been married, or whatever your herd calls it. Tell us a story, while we wait!"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"I know quite a few men who would agree with you. Also many more who wouldn't. I like the ceremony and celebration." Alec smiles and proceeds to question the faun a bit more. "So, how do some deal with the jealousy? I know for my people jealousy has caused more problems than enemies."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

Listening to the sphinx was a bit hard as he tried to divert the faun's attention away from Lette. Better to have at least one clear head in the group. Dolan's words, however, struck him as bad. If they had to go, then they would run themselves down and possibly die. Alec said "Would it be better if those who were poisoned stay here? That way we could at as a go between. If not, the fastest riders could go and those who cannot ride as well can stay. I would walk faster than I ride, and it prevents us from having to do the journey twice for no reason." Alec looks more weary than he had ever been before continuing on. "I know that I honestly cannot fight another battle, and I suspect the way back will not be clear. Those rocks? perfect for another ambush. I'm not sure if being on the horse for so long would do me in or not. I'd rather not have to be dragged by a horse to Noah unconscious." If they were attacked while going back, there was a very real possibility he would be completely useless.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 15, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He was starting to get a very bad feeling about this, the lack of instant communication meant that if the forest dwellers were not friendly they would have been stranded in the maze like forest and surrounded by overwhelming numbers. Alec waved to Lette and Martin as they mounted up. "Have a fast and safe journey. Should Dolan contact you at sunset?"

While the question lingers Alec looks at everyone else and wonders what on earth they were going to do to pass the time.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

Alec sat down and watched the faun play about with the mirror Alec slumped down against the wall. "Ahh yes mirrors, We had pools like them, quite highly prized of course now they are all frozen most likely." He nods to the faun and gives him a weary smile. "How does it feel to go out and have no real purpose here? I came here for but one reason alone." He smiles as he watches the faun cutting his hair, the story was amusing but the fatigue was getting to him.

"I think that both of us need to be healed more, Isit first and more so. Also make sure it will go away."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

His head hung down to his chest, and he felt exhausted but not tired. His body was slowly draining of its energy. Alec forced a ration into his mouth as he stared at the dirt in front of him. It was getting hard to concentrate on his food or even his surroundings. Honestly, Alec was not hungry but he felt required too. He washed down the hard biscuit and salted meat with his waterskin almost completely depleting it in the attempt.

The rations were nothing new to Alec, after all he had been traveling for a year. He thought over the sights of his journey to this prosperous and fruitful land. The graceful mountains and dense foreboding forests. The quiet undiscovered lakes and valleys, Alec had hunted and hid in against the monsters and dågons. What had happened? How did he end up in the middle of this forest, sitting among those who would have been scorned and even attacked had they come upon his own town's doors?

He turned his attentions to his first time reaching this land, though he had not known it then. He tried to make the trade symbols to the ragged and bloodied villagers and they had simply yelled at him in an odd and at that time unknown tongue. They had thrown stones at first then approached with hate in their eyes, and Alec had responded in kind. His spear and sword were unmatched to the unarmored and untrained survivors. He had entered their town and found it ransacked, bodies upon the ground and the buildings burned. It was in that moment that he had known regret. Alec gave them all he could, a decent funeral pyre.

As the fire had consumed the staring and cold eyes, Alec had wondered what a people would let their homes be burned and shattered. They did not lie on the ground with weapons or even appeared to struggle for their lives at all. It had been among the burned and ransacked homes that Alec had found something more important than anything he could found to that day. It looked to be a building full of books and pages, as if it was a Lore-Master's lair. What caught his eye had been the book that had the ritzen "Cheruscisten town" on it. It was from that burning funeral pyre that Alec learned how to read this odd tongue.

After the fire had died, Alec put a buck skin in front of the door of the Lore-master's home to pay him, whether living or dead for this great treasure. Using the book, he was able to at least communicate with others, and thorough much difficulty he was able to learn the language. The villagers enjoyed his pelts and he enjoyed the chance to discover where in this large place he could find the answer to his quest. The villagers were not much help at all, many seemed to hesitate or just tell him to walk east, then west, then south. He was frustrated by their lack of help and none of them seemed to have a Lore-Master to even get more books. His own tome beyond the extensive passages on the language and culture of his own people only contained tales of creatures knew so well.

What use did Alec need to know of how to kill an Ice Troll? A young child would know it! He almost laughed till he cried when he saw the suggestion to use fire. As if the Troll could not just extinguish it with its hand. This passage on Man-things seemed to think they were beasts. He had not found as humorous at all. They were men corrupted by eating man flesh. The Jötunn would force men to eat the flesh of their fellows, though Alec knew not how, they turned into craving beasts. Entire tribes had disappeared to the madness. They grew sharp teeth, and used only bone and skin for their clothing. One who had seem them and smell the carnage from them would not treat them so lightly.

It was actually another pack of refugees that had tipped Alec off toward a place were sanity reigned. He knew he had to go there and undo all of this before the horde of Dågon ruin the north and finally overcome the brave people on the walls of Cheruscisten. Yet, here he had found Dågon and monsters that wanted the same as him, a place to live and to live free and equal. He supposed that in his heart the Queens camp had been the turning point of something that had linger on the edge of perception since he arrived. Elves, Gnolls and even satyrs were trying to live their life and live it with what honor they had. He saw his treatment mimicked in theirs. He certainly was not horrible nor a monster, and so maybe neither were they.

He had arrived and perhaps there was no way to undo what had been done, but at the least he could unite them before the real threat came. Only a fool and child would underestimate the might of the forces against them all. He thought back to his dream and remembered that even the spirit wolf that wandered out there stalking him, was nothing compared to the cold hunger possessed by the true enemy in Alec's mind. Maybe he would find a true weapon against them and return, or mayhap they will find a way to banish them to the north again and sleep for eternity.

In the end Alec did not know and as he finished his ration, he looked at the people scurry to and forth in front of him. No dågon or monster among their numbers.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 16, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

His pale blue eyes glazed as he thought over all that had happened, Alec accepted the cup of water without comment. He was too busy lost in his meandering thoughts to properly see the water or hear the conversation. He instinctively drinks from his cup and watches the other's mouth move nodding as if he was paying any attention to the conversation. Not even the promise of antidote meant much to him at that moment, as his mind had wandered to what Honor meant to him. His mind worked over it in his head, it had worked fine in his home. Try going to another village and attempt to not do as he had done and he would have been put to death.

A small gnoll pup ran into him and tumbled over Alec breaking his train of thought. He turned his head toward the pup his eyes seemed to frighten the creature, and it scampered off before Alec could say anything. Perhaps he was the monster among Men, at times it seemed as he was indeed the one that should have been trapped on the Other side whatever that really meant. He turned his hands over and stared at his palms flexing them in the sunlight filtering from the dense leafy roof above.

It was with that thought that he turned his attention to Lo'el and his thoughts on trying to retrieve the antidote. "You should not go alone, you should take someone at the very least with you if you are to go. I know that I for the very least am in no way able to fight."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"A fine idea, I could help you with your spear technique a bit, how to get into a good fist fight and maybe even get that spear of yours in your hands a bit quicker if you would like" Alec smiles this was something he was actually good at.

"See first thing to remember is that you need your spear in the same place on you at all times. Make it a habit. like with my sword, I know where it is on my body, so i don't have to look or wait to pull it out. I just reach down and pull it out as fast as I would want. You just have to practice it until it becomes instant and you forget where it came from." Alec points to Lo'els hanging spear as he does and nods. "Another thing to remember is that when you have your spear out you can almost always thrust then parry. Most people are expecting that, so what you need to do is..." Alec continued on with his lecture instructing Lo'el in everything he knew about spearmanship.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

The fatigue was getting ahead of Alec as he helped show Lo'el how to wield his spear. Alec waved at him nodding as he felt dizzy from being so tired and just drained from any activity. After about 10 minutes of standing against the trunk of the tree recovering Alec starts on the next thing he knows about. "The next thing that I can help you with is fighting with your fists. Now it isn't as hard as you might think it is."

Alec lifts up his hands to his side and smiles "First off you have to remember in a fight you are going for your life, so don't bother waiting for him to strike first or not attacking a spot that is open. You need to shift your body so he can only attack the places you want him to attack. Then when he has shifted all his weight forward either after or just before striking that is when you hit him. You want to go for the fat line, or the guts. The face is nice if you want to disorient him." Alec does weak punches and a stance before leaning back against the tree "Now, lets see you try to kick and punch a bit."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

With a quick nod and a tired smile Alec looks at the practicing faun. "It is well you can do that, most will not expect that from either you feet or your head. The next thing you need to do is toughen up and be hard. If you can take punches and wounds then you can keep fighting. I can't teach you that, just comes with time and pain I'm afraid." He shook his head, he supposed that one day the faun would be battle scarred and bloodied as was his destiny.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He half listened to the stories as he drew in the dirt in front of him. Alec had remember Wurm fights to be much worse then the playful story Lo'el had described. He, however, was not feeling well enough to do much, even movement a forced action and speaking like struggling to breath. He had been mortally wounded, almost lost his arm, had his soul torn asunder from a spirit, shocked in his head and poisoned in the last three days. This had been the worst few days of his life in recent memory, with only the Queen's visit as the bright spot. That had been absolutely delightful, though he had made a fool of himself. The past few days were starting to catch up with him, and it was a struggle to concentrate. He considered telling the children what it was really like to go on Wurm hunt but decided wisely against it.

He instead focused on his experience with Wurms and began searching for the memories contained in his beleaguered head to stay alive and conscious. The hard part had always been grounding them, it usually took archers or bait. Bait worked more reliably though as few of them would fly low enough for long enough to actually hit the wings. Once it had landed for the bait, or to attack the Archers, a few of the men would jump on the Wurm and slash their wings with sharpened hot short swords. They normally did not survive the processes, but it would ground the beast at the very least. The quick ones would escape and back off waiting. The Archers and Spear Throwers would come up aiming for the eyes of the beast trying to blind it. This is where a few men with long spears would stay in front of the archers to keep them safe. The Wurm , of course, would thrash and snap at all around it in blind agony and fright, usually claiming a few men the jaws or talons bisecting men with frightful ease. Once it was blinded however, was the time to move in and strike, the Strongest Warriors with two mallets and long iron spikes would run forward and wait. The Wurm blinded would try to snap and roar the enemy way, once it tried to use its breath to kill the invisible archers, they would spring into action. Using a two man team on each side one would pierce the large hands it used to brace itself against the ground while roaring then send the iron spike into the ground and then the next man with a mallet would beat it till it hooked the rod into the creatures hand. They worked in unison having trained driving the pikes into the ground and then curving it. If done correctly the beast would only pull back and hook itself more into the cruel device. Usually this pain was enough to prevent it from using it's full strength from pulling it from the ground. The other team would work at the same time to prevent it from using its other claw to free it. Alec patted the ground and thought it too soft to properly hold such a thing, and if it was, well then you just gave your massive enemy a sword instead of claws. Next came, of course, the Warriors with large Axes to hack the neck until it was hewn off. If anything failed at any point these Axemen would most likely die. Alec had seen other methods for sure, but this was the one he remembered the most. The rivers of blood and gore pouring from the beast hardly seemed the noble image that Lo'el told the pups.

Odd how a story would change to Lo'el's much more clean and majestic version was perhaps what happened to his own people. Of course these were not the whitish Wurms that had populated his home so they may not do the same things. He wondered more severely if his town had even survived the onslaught, or maybe it was not just a story he would tell others.

It was then that Alec noticed the satyr standing over him, "Symptoms? I don't know." the question seemed strange to him, after all how would he know what hurt is from what? Alec puts his head against the wall and looks at the forest ceiling having lost focus on what was going on.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

The book in front of him is hazy as he tries to read the effort becoming almost unbearable. His vision was hazy as he tried to think more on his story, unfortunately he wasn't able to concentrate enough on the pages to add anything though stories tried to seep into his weary mind. He is shaken out of it by Dolan's question.

"What... they all went to the north." Alec face looked absolutely horrified. He dragged himself to his feet and grabbed Dolan's armor with his hands "They are marching north? are you sure? North?! Was it snowing? This is spring it shouldn't snow WAS IT SNOWING." Alec is shouting and completely paniced his eyes looking at the sky in absolute terror.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

Alec is pulled back rather easily weak and certainly drained from even the effort of trying to grab Dolan had collapses in front of Lo'el blinked at both. "You don't know? How can you not know? Everyone child in my land would know what that means."

Alec stumbles to his fit, his energy coming from sheer panic more than anything else. "The Jötunn, they have come, Cheruscisten has fallen or has been bypassed. When they come, summer turns to winter and winter into bleak unrelenting cold. That is the only thing that could have attacked from the North, all the tribes I passed were scattered in disarray and the Man Eaters ran in packs among them all. It is the only thing that could cause the Queen to go north so suddenly, the Trolls and Man eaters attacked in mass. Behind them they come in Person, and the snow starts. Lakes freeze, rivers turn to Ice, and it becomes so cold that not even plants can live. Cheruscisten lost entire crops from a single attack, and they had only come for half a day. If they have come then my quest as failed. I tried to unite and stop this insanity in time." Alec looks at the ground, it was the only thing that could have done it.

The horde coming could not be bargained with or bought, there was no sating it.

The hope for peace was over.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He shakes his head, "Do you not understand? I walked through there! I saw the clans and how organized they were. There is only one thing that needs an army to attack from the north. Unless she wants to attack unclaimed lands filled with horrific beasts and dead villages. I've seen them all." They didn't understand this was incredible.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He glares at Isit "You are a fool to say that. There is no fighting them normally, Your horse goes up to their ankle. They command hordes of savage men, and Ice trolls. The queen is mortal and will die. She can hit them as hard as she likes, only the venom of a Wurm can truly hurt them. I've know, I've fought them."

Alec turns to Lo'el, "It only snows when they actually march, they will first send hordes of the Man-Things and Trolls under their commands. Some of the Orc tribes worked with them but rebelled, I do not think they exist anymore. Like I said, I have come from the north, my feet have set upon the ground you talk about. There is nothing else there that I encountered during my six months of travels that else it could be."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 18, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"Say what you like. I have seen them turn the sea into a field of ice. They create ice, they are not made of it. The cold goes wherever they do, fire does not stop them. These are not stories, I have seem them do it. I have fought them. They killed my wife, and my friends. So say what you like, but it just makes you more the fool." Alec looks more agitated and angry now pacing, his face beet red.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"The children can listen and learn cause they apparently weren't taught the only thing truly worth knowing. Even if they are told stories of all these other things that live here, that is the one that will kill them or turn them into mindless slaves. Don't patronize me at all. Don't think just cause i didn't hear of your idiotic stories that mean nothing, doesn't mean I am wrong." Alec getting more red as he looks between them all. Had he not lost so many people to them he might have calmed down but now he was just pure angry.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

The placation just fed into his absolute anger, the streaks of rage overwhelming his self control. "No. I'm tired of this loving poo poo. gently caress you. I am not a child and you are a liar." Alec picks up his things and carrying them goes over to the Head Gnoll, "I am going to be staying elsewhere, just not here. Can you show me another hut that I might stay any other place will do?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

His face bright red and the adrenaline rushing through him Alec grinds his teeth at the dwarf "Doesn't matter anymore you can do what you like. I am out of here."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"No matter? No matter? They are the reason I was sent here. My purpose in being in this strange land and traveling for a year was to find the way this empire captured its gods and put them away, so that we might use it. Or find magic that can defeat them. So all my hardship up to this point has been for this, so if I might seem a bit angry at being laughed at? I cannot make you understand. There is nothing that I have seen north of here, except death and disarray. The Jötunn have always and always will be my goal here. I do not care about the Queen nor Noah. My goal has been to stop them. So when I hear that the Queen who has every intent on going into Noah and conquering it by force and said as much, turns her entire army north. This can mean all but one thing, and the only thing that was there large enough to even give a threat to her, would be the Jötunn. If you want to say I am delirious or that I am fever prone, then we can part ways. I will find someone who will want too." Alec looks Dolan dead in the eye, he had been pushing himself all day, but this was the only thing that was important.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He felt lighter but he kept focused, if they were coming, they were coming in fast. He didn't have time to drink or eat even he had to find a Wurm and convince it to his side. Nothing mattered, rulers, people, lives, anything other than stopping them. This time he would find the one with the scar on his stomach and he would kill him. He was going to kill the bastard even if he had to crawl there on his bare hands and knees. Alec walked through the forest and thought as hard as he could where he could find a Wurm. How on earth would he deal with those animals.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He was mad so very angry, it consumed every action, as he felt better he started thrashing at the forest itself. To discount their lives so was completely and utterly unforgivable, it would be better to die alone against the Jötunn then even be near them. The rage echoed through his body as he got even angrier thinking about it, and to this point he approached the edge of the forest. Of course there was a dragon now he needed a warband, this curse of fate made his anger even more pronounced. He wanted to kill something, tear it into small pieces as it screamed in agony. He knew this wouldn't make him feel better but it was an urge that permeated through his body. None of this mattered, only one thing mattered now, not spirits who called themselves gods, nor towns. Alec struck north even more angry then he had been before, murderous intent spreading through him.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

The dragon was right over the ridge, and he knew what he had to do. He didn't have the hooks but he would have to use his swords to ground it. Then the others would see and come slaughter it. None of them were strong enough for the spikes. This was a problem, he assumed that someone would help from freehold.

He threw himself to the ground and started crawling, it was best to be slow at this point. Crawling taxed him even more, but keeping low was essential. His training in hunting the beasts had kept him alive more than once and more than against dragons. He had never been strong enough to be a Spike Man, nor an Axeman, but he knew that one thing he could do is stab the wings. It would require a blind jump at just the right time.

He unsheathed his sword, and though he did not want to die, Alec was prepared to avenge his people single handedly.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

pre:
 Rage and love meld as light
  takes over from darkness, yet
   sense and hate weld in darkness.

Rage unending as terrible and true;
  ecstasy binding and anger grinding 
 against the monster named Alec. 

Horrible things peculate joy
from the honorable northman,
with angels with wings of blood.

Heart blood and pleasure do
join in a bloody symphony,
with loss and pain of old.

Etches of memory in time;
Etches of pain in chyme.
Bile of loss and joy mixed
with dirt into a pool.

Anger stood victorious over sense;
   Ecstasy stood victorious over body.
   Both exist within and throughout all.
   Both subsist within and throughout all.

Death
    drops
      down
         on
          to
           joy.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec "Riesenbär" Cherusci

He manages to crawl to his feet, Alec looks at the Fairy Queen. He did not hate her, the moments of pure ecstasy of rage has been at the true betrayers of life. Alec looked at her and smiled "You don't know what is coming. I've seen the ice fields and my people have died on them. The rainbow tears in the sky shimmering off the plain of ice. I cannot serve you as a slave and I refuse to bow to you as a man to stop them. You will have to fight them if you want to live. You can force me with your magic, but I have but one thing to do."

Alec put his hand in his chain and pulled a black feather, it was time now. He held it in his hand and looked at the sky "VUOSKI, I ASK YOU, NAY, BEG YOUR BOON NOW." The crow feather shimmered in the sky as he looked at it. It was quite lovely, it was a pretty day and a beautiful land. The thought stuck him as ironic as he held the feather. Alec takes the feather and rams it like a sword into his chest, unsure what it would do to him. He no longer cared.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 22, 2012

• Locked thread