Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
'This American Life' Completes Documentation Of Liberal, Upper-Middle-Class Existence.

quote:

In what cultural anthropologists are calling a "colossal achievement" in the study of white-collar professionals, the popular radio show has successfully isolated all 7,442 known characteristics of college graduates who earn between $62,500 and $125,000 per year and feel strongly that something should be done about global warming.

"We've done it," said senior producer Julie Snyder, who was personally interviewed for a 2003 This American Life episode, "Going Eclectic," in which she described what it's like to be a bilingual member of the ACLU trained in kite-making by a Japanese stepfather. "There is not a single existential crisis or self-congratulatory epiphany that has been or could be experienced by a left-leaning agnostic that we have not exhaustively documented and grouped by theme."

This one's particularly great because it cut so deep for This American Life that they were forced to devote an act in their show to The Onion out of respect.

Mierdaan has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Metric System Thriving In Nation's Inner Cities

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Mierdaan posted:

'This American Life' Completes Documentation Of Liberal, Upper-Middle-Class Existence.

This one's particularly great because it cut so deep for This American Life that they were forced to devote an act in their show to The Onion out of respect.

Which was a really fascinating look inside The Onion and one of my favorite episodes.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In The Know Panel Analyzes Obama's Furious, Profanity-Filled Rant At Nation

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Not a single article, but a whole series. From when Obama won the election in November 2008 to his inauguration in January 2009, The Onion had a series of short paragraphs in the "News in Brief" section on horrific accidents suffered by President Bush:

The Biden series was linked earlier, but no one has linked my favorite:

Biden Receives Lifetime Ban From Dave & Buster's

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Brother Jonathan posted:

Not a single article, but a whole series. From when Obama won the election in November 2008 to his inauguration in January 2009, The Onion had a series of short paragraphs in the "News in Brief" section on horrific accidents suffered by President Bush:

I loved all of these horrible Bush accident articles because they always ended the same.

quote:

President Bush is resting comfortably in Bethesda Naval Hospital.

No matter how horrible the injuries. Except for that last one...

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Do you guys all pay for the onion now?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mrfart posted:

Yes, by being American. :911:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

mrfart posted:

There are free hard copies of it in all the newspaper boxes around town here. It is where the Onion got started, after all.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

World's oldest neurosurgeon turns 100

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Enter Tha Office is incredible.

And my all time favorite point/counterpoint.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yes, by being American. :911:
I'm not American.
I only got to read the hard copies for the first time in new york this summer.
Anyway, apparently you're only allowed to read 5 articles per month anymore.
Or is this only for dirty non-Americans?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I never see hard copies where I live, but apparently the website is only free in America now. It does sometimes have some pretty obnoxious ads though.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
It is possible to bypass the 5 per month thing by using the private surf mode in Firefox (probably works in Chrome etc. as well), then you can read 5 more and just reset by going out of and into it again! :)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Martout posted:

It is possible to bypass the 5 per month thing by using the private surf mode in Firefox (probably works in Chrome etc. as well), then you can read 5 more and just reset by going out of and into it again! :)

thanks for this.
I probably should just buy a subscription, but if wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't even have read the onion anymore.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I love this article, and was pretty happy to find out they've done a bunch of similar stories on this guy (Don Turnbee).

Area Man To Hang Out At McDonald's For 20 Minutes Until Lunch Menu Goes Up

His other articles

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Taco Bell's New Green Menu Takes No Ingredients From Nature

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brother Jonathan posted:

I love these so much, I'd never seen any of them before this thread.

Kids, Your Mother Is Ready To Start loving Again is fantastic, she's being so open and communicative :)

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
They also did a video about Vice President Biden: Newsroom: Biden Criticized For Appearing In Hennessy Ads. It is a different persona from the articles, but it is hilarious imagining him as an "international playboy." "Sensual. Powerful. Biden."

Biden knew about the articles, and has said that they are "hilarious." He also said that he doesn't have a 1981 Trans Am, but does have a 1967 Corvette.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Martout posted:

Also try just hitting the stop button on your browser a second after the page loads. It's pretty easy to stop the page between loading the page itself, and overlaying the page with the 5 article limit message.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brother Jonathan posted:

Biden knew about the articles, and has said that they are "hilarious." He also said that he doesn't have a 1981 Trans Am, but does have a 1967 Corvette.

Man, I love "Diamond Joe".

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Brother Jonathan posted:

They also did a video about Vice President Biden: Newsroom: Biden Criticized For Appearing In Hennessy Ads. It is a different persona from the articles, but it is hilarious imagining him as an "international playboy." "Sensual. Powerful. Biden."

This gets even better because I just saw an Youtube ad this morning for Hennessy featuring Congressman Manny Pacquiao. :irony:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
New Little Caesars Marketing Strategy Has Employees Throw Themselves On Hoods Of Passing Cars

The last couple lines were amazing and came out of nowhere.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I love this article, and was pretty happy to find out they've done a bunch of similar stories on this guy (Don Turnbee).

Area Man To Hang Out At McDonald's For 20 Minutes Until Lunch Menu Goes Up

His other articles

My favorite Don Turnbee is when he's confused about buffet procedures.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Voters Slowly Realizing Santorum Believes Every Deranged Word That Comes Out Of His Mouth

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Hobojim posted:

The first Onion article that I ever saw is still my favourite, and I haven't seen it posted yet. New study shows dolphins not so intelligent on land.

The poorly shopped picture just make the article awesome.

Counterpoint:

Dolphins Evolve Opposable Thumbs

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

DolphinCop posted:

New Live Poll Allows Pundits To Pander To Viewers In Real Time is my absolute favorite.

All of the Duncan Birch segments are amazing, though, and that's why I like Is Pundit Duncan Birch A Worthless Idiot? a lot too.

I came here to post the live poll one, it's just about the funniest loving thing The Onion has ever done and everyone in this thread should watch it right now. It's kind of depressing how spot on it is, and I love how the discourse degrades as the pundits watch the poll numbers come in. I still see that poo poo from time to time while politicians are speaking, but thank god it's becoming less of a thing than it was in the 2008 election. I forget which news channel was obsessed with those live polls, CNN I think, but they're incredibly distracting and annoying.

I didn't see it mentioned in the thread but another great video from the 2008 election was Cindy McCain Claims She's 'Just Like Any Other Female Human.' God that woman looked like a creepy Stepford Wife.

In the realm of great Onion headlines, one of my favorites has always been:

World Death Rate Holding Steady at 100 Percent

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Great quote from that:

quote:

"Why should we continue to spend billions of dollars a year on a health care industry whose sole purpose is to prevent death, only to find, once again, that death awaits us all?" Nader said in an impassioned address to several suburban Californians.

Edit: I don't think has been posted yet:
Reporter Helps Starving Dogs By Personally Shooting Them

ultrafilter has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Apr 11, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I barely even have to read the article, but I just love this headline.

World's Youngest Person Born

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

I have to say, that's oddly prophetic with them promoting Doritos flavored taco sells. I have to wonder how much marijuana was smoked to come up with that idea?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

clockworx posted:

Counterpoint:

Dolphins Evolve Opposable Thumbs

Awwww, they took out the subheader: "Oh poo poo, Says Humanity"

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Awwww, they took out the subheader: "Oh poo poo, Says Humanity"

That's weak as it's one of my favorites

As is this:
Is The Government Spying On Paranoid Schizophrenics Enough?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

This is a classic Biden:
The TuckScreen: Can't Wait To See Joe Biden's Band Play The Superbowl

The Joe Biden Band: Golden Collection - The #1 Hits 1973 - 1982 Tracklist

1 - Groovy Bowl Of Grapes
2 - Sister-In-Law
3 - Scalp Tan
4 - Waiting For The Money To Roll In
5 - The Ladies
6 - Tell 'Em Joe Sent Ya
7 - Surf Rock Mongolia
8 - Beware The Jabber-Rock-y
9 - Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls
10 - Havin' A Moon Party (live at The Great Wall of China)
11 - Brew Doggin'
12 - Catch Me If You’re Tan
13 - A Gal Named Jill
14 - Only Jill
15 - You Are My Jill
16 - Psychedelic Fur-Coffee #18
17 - He's Got The Reagan Blues
18 - The President Is A Demon
19 - It's Revolution Time
20 - Nothing Is Anything
21 - Christmas In Joe Town!

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I love this, and pretty much all other, infographics.
About Bil Keane's death

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mierdaan posted:

Chiming in a week late, but this was a really fascinating link, thanks! It actually highlights what I think is The Onion's biggest flaw - the headlines are hilarious but the article text often belabours the joke.

On topic, this is one of the first Onion articles I read and probably one of the funniest: Christ Returns to NBA

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
I can't believe this one hasn't been posted yet. So many people fell for this on Facebook because they've never actually watched C-Span before:

http://www.theonion.com/video/proposed-classified-bill-will-defend-against-flesh,14175/

*the rest of this post is classified*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Got a pretty big laugh out of this one today:

"TV Listings"

quote:

Major League Baseball

FOX

1 p.m. EDT/12 p.m. CDT

Tune in to see what secrets are revealed as baseball begins its thrilling final season.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Bro, You're A God Among Bros

The staggering number of puns gets me every time.

Bonus article reading

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Followed a link from that one and found this story.

"From The Beaches Of Normandy To The Streets Of Paris, My Platoon Was A Bunch Of Pussies"

quote:

Like many good men my age, I was in the Big One, and I can tell you firsthand that war is hell. It's day after horrifying day of your worst fears come true. And when it came time to face those fears and be men, I could always count on my fellow leathernecks in the 202nd, without fail, to knuckle under and scatter like frightened little children.

You know, people like to throw the term "hero" around a lot when they talk about my generation. But I don't believe the men of the 202nd were heroes. No sir. The heroes were the ones who didn't stay curled up in their foxholes sucking their thumbs or jamming their fingers in their ears. The heroes were the ones who refused to pledge their complete and unwavering allegiance to Hitler the moment the enemy was in earshot. The heroes were the ones who didn't pretend to be dead for hours and sometimes days after a battle had been decided.

Those were the real heroes.

I don't know if it was fate or coincidence that brought us together, but I can say I served with 39 of the most craven, gutless pussies you ever laid eyes on—every last one of them quicker to cry than a colicky newborn. By God, there wasn't a major battle in the European Theater we didn't flee from like a flock of spooked pigeons. Even "Old Blood and Guts" Patton himself said we were the biggest bunch of lily-livered pisspants ever to disgrace the U.S. Armed Forces, and that's no exaggeration.

Yes, everyone knew our platoon. The Scamperin' Squirrels, they called us. Our girlish, high-pitched screams gave courage to Jerry from Nice to Luxembourg. "That's the Squirrels," the Krauts would yell, and they knew they didn't have a chance in hell of sustaining any losses.

I remember the Battle of the Bulge like it was yesterday: All us young men shoving one another out of the way, tripping over the wounded and dead with our white flags flapping in the frigid winter wind. Those images will be with me forever, even though I was blinded by tears most of the times I dared to open my eyes. We eventually surrendered to a confused Ardennes dairy farmer at the end of that first terrifying day. Boy, you should have seen the look on his face.

But hell, who didn't we surrender to? The enemy, the Allies, each other, it made no difference. One Panzer division refused to take us prisoner out of pure disgust. Can't say I blame 'em, really. We would drop our weapons at the first sound of tanks, planes, jeeps, horses, thunder, or almost any kind of shouting. I don't think I fired that damned gun more than once. None of us did. To be honest, we weren't too partial to loud, sudden noises.

And Normandy. Let's not forget Normandy. We were there, too. If you look closely at some of those old photos, you can just make out our Higgins Amphibious bobbing on the horizon, speeding away from Omaha Beach as fast as we dared until we were forced to turn around because of seasickness and a terrible fear of sharks. We eventually stormed a secluded little cove and waited it out until we were certain we could timidly skulk unseen through the streets of Paris.

No such luck, as it turned out. We were over a week late and the grateful Parisians still showered us with flowers while we cowered in the middle of the Champs-Élysées. I've never been so scared in my entire life, pinned down by that ceaseless barrage of daffodils. I'll always remember what my best buddy, Jimmy Conroy, said to me that day, a single tear—the first of many, many more—rolling down his cheek. "We ain't gonna die here, Phil," he said. "We're going to die old men."

And he was right.

Say what you will about the Squirrels, but every last one of us survived the war. We even got Purple Hearts, though there was some curiosity about how every member of a 40-man platoon could get shot in the foot on the same day in an Allied barrack 200 miles from the front lines.

There may be little talk about our part in the Second World War, but we secured our place in history as the most yellow-bellied, spineless members of the Greatest Generation that ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Abortion Stops a Beating