Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
As someone who listens to probably more top 40 radio than is healthy, this hits eerily close.

Pop Star's Single, 'Booty Wave', Most Likely Civilization's Downfall

Today Now always feels like the most on the mark part of everything the Onion makes, it's disconcerting at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I barely even have to read the article, but I just love this headline.

World's Youngest Person Born

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Whoa, this was from the Onion? They talked about it on QI a little while ago.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

voting third party posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0App7QizQCU

This might be the best thing the onion has done yet, the natural ending point of reality tv. Part two is even more awkward.

I came to post this. The Onion's been doing a couple videos of late that are less news-based and more parody of TV and Youtube stuff. Sex House is a favorite of mine already, but it'd be wrong not to appreciate Lake Dredge Appraisal, where part of the video making process I think included recording the video on a fifteen year old VHS that used to have a TV-recorded edit of Star Wars on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTifcI4A0jM

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jul 20, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

My personal theory right now is that Alex is a plant. Whoever's in charge tasked her with infiltrating the group to encourage sex.

There's definitely something going on with Alex, she's too... focused to be as normal as everyone else, she hasn't stopped going for sex during all of this. I'm not completely sold on the idea that she's a plant, but it's a distinct possibility.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The Week In Review headline loving Oasis To Probably Be Worked Into Olympics Opening Ceremony (I can't find if this was an actual article) got funnier come the closing ceremony.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Robert Denby posted:

I stopped watching them after the first two or three. If you read the articles you're getting the exact same jokes. Have they changed the format any since it started?

Right now, they have a great story up on the Emmys. Be sure to read to the end.

They got a better narrator after about six Week in Reviews, and sometimes they do have additional interviews and such. I thought it quite added to "Coworker With Two Computer Screens Not loving Around".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Internet Users Demand Less Interactivity was clearly written by someone very frustrated, and I like it for that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
On the subject of solid last lines, the ending of Health Officials Urging Americans To Do Something, Anything For 30 Minutes A Day gave me one of the biggest, most honest laughs I've had for a while. The rest of it's good too, but that ending line is brilliant.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
There was a show on a couple weeks ago here in Australia, about the shows that got the most complaints to the ABC (government-funded TV network), including interviews with the people behind it. After a clip of a deadpan review of the act of murdering a minor Australian celebrity (that nobody likes) that caused a lot of outcry from a commercial network he had a contract with, they had an interview with the man who wrote and performed the show, who basically said that 'when writing controversial comedy, the most important thing is that it has to be funny'.

That's why they're apologizing. The Onion have done controversial articles before, and they're often some of their best, but this tweet failed Black Comedy 101: It has to actually be funny.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

cobalt2009 posted:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-angerpowered-cars-may-revolutionize-the-way-we,1118/

I've never been able to make it through this one without laughing so hard my stomach hurts.

The thing that jump out most at me here is that the Chevrolet Tantrum looks amazing and I want it. That's a photoshopped version of an actual car, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Okay, it might not be the funniest Onion thing ever? But it's definitely the biggest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H542nLTTbu0

Read the description, the Onion co-created it. It also made me like some people I really, really hate.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Doggboat posted:

This is the most touching obituary of Ebert I have read so far. :unsmith:

the problem with great obituaries is that one of my first responses to this was 'someone should show this to Roger Ebert'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Sponsored Content Pretty loving Awesome
It actually is pretty cool that their sponsors let them do this poo poo.

The Onion has a subsection entirely devoted to getting paid by companies to make fun of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I have been reminded of my favorite Onion video because of a related subject in AusPol. "New Live Poll Lets Pundits Pander to Viewers In Real Time". There's just so much brilliance in their depiction of The Worm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpK_r-jEXg

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I saw this on the sidebar and just had to.

Elmore Leonard, Modern Prose Master, Noted For His Terse Prose Style And For Writing About Things Perfectly And Succinctly With A Remarkable Economy Of Words, Unfortunately And Sadly Expired This Gloomy Tuesday At The Age Of 87 Years Old

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Play4Real is a satirical gaming news site that I've been reading ever since Majority of Gamers Today Can't Finish Level 1 In Super Mario Bros got picked up by an embarrassing number of real gaming news sites and spawned countless "casuals :argh:" arguments across the internet. It's nowhere near Onion quality and it has that problem where it feels like they came up with a joke headline and then wrote the article as an afterthought, but it can be funny.

These guys are almost cheating, because apparently gamers are complete loving idiots and can't recognize the fact it's satire. Even if they're not funny, the fact it keeps working is.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Peter Rosenthal Reviews "It's a Wonderful Life"

I'm disappointed they didn't talk about the fact that the modern value of that money is $95,618.05

The Onion Film Standard has quickly become one of my favorite parts of the Onion, it's just so masterful, and the guy playing the film critic is brilliant. At this point I can't even go a day without watching their review of The Desolation of Smaug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIy_uLF6xI8

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Peter Rosenthal discusses the Academy Awards. Truly, an insightful look into the movies on offer in the past year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL2TIlm-9oM

Honeslty if the Onion Film Standard isn't your favorite thing right now, I don't know what to tell you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Mog posted:

Has there ever been an Onion article that was just straight-up a true news story? It would be hysterical if they reported on something some crazy Republican guy said and it was 100% true.

Muscleman Put In Charge of World's Fifth-Largest Economy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Onion Talks is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpNgsU9o4ik

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

muscles like this? posted:

Is Orko the only result?

No, I got Cheetarah. Or Donatello. Or Cheetarah.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ishamael posted:

I am fascinated to see what articles become fodder for Literally Unbelievable.

Like, what is it about the Brain-Dead Teen article that makes it get reposted so often, while other, more realistic fake headlines are ignored?

The weirdest part about the braindead teen repostings is hat it's only started happening again more recently. That video's like five years old, and for most of its life it hasn't been as popular among idiots as it has recently.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
6 American Television Shows That Started In England

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Film Standard's Oscar special was pretty great, too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

That Australia bought seventy-two of, well after it was known how much of a failure they were, yes. And even if it can fly, it can only do so for like, less than an hour.

The list of faults with the F-35 would look like an Onion article if you read them all in one.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Jun 3, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Man Recalls Desperate, Exhausting 14-Month Job Search That Made Him Want To Get Into Sales

Yeah... yeah, that sounds right :smith:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

As someone with a B.A. in communications, this hits almost too close to home.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Leofish posted:

I want Kelly shirts. Not like shirts with Kelly comics on them, but shirts that say "TODAY'S NO GOOD TEENS" on them.

Pair it with an 'HONEST HARD-WORKING AMERICANS' shirt. Both may have a small corresponding Lady Liberty on the bottom.

I will also accept a 'TODAY'S LATEST GIZMO' iPhone case, or something to that respect.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Starfix was one of the funniest parts of the Onion's video content, so I'm pretty happy about this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

prefect posted:

I'm not sure it's right to be getting my real news from the Onion thread.

I'm pretty sure these things have stopped qualifying as 'news'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
My new answer for 'article that represents your life' is Actual Problem A Nice Change Of Pace For Anxious Man, because while most of its details don't apply the crux of it somehow became good advice. I've been anxious as hell lately about approaching something in my life, and somehow the thing that eased my tension the most while on my way to a psychologist was loving up the public transport to their office.

On my way to find that, though, I did find one hell of an article in the searching: Son, We'd All Like To Lie Around All Day Being 'Clinically Depressed'

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
How much do you know about President, uhm... Taft?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Oh hey, it's one of those small yet accurate stories.

Hi mom, yes mom...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I love when they go whole-hog with describing genre schlock. And they clearly have so much fun with it.

With a few modifications, I think this one's a solid Doctor Who two-parter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Why are none of you talking about the greatest story of this Olympics?

Such a small, young nation getting even the smallest spot on the world stage deserves credit, people.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I worry this is what I'm sounding like to all my American friends at this point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Man Spends Whole Day Dreading Fun Activity he Signed Up For hits pretty close to home.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
‘What If We Try This?’ Asks Robotics Grad Student About To Eliminate 30% Of Workforce

I work in tech, and this exact line of thought (albeit on a lesser scale) goes through my mind constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I only got one boy.

But he was really hot!

But he brought his girlfriend.

Something about this has a real Teen Girl Squad vibe.