Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MrTheDevious posted:

The Redguides people are brilliant, but they have a very specific viewpoint, which is "Most people using this software are idiots and we don't want to be blamed for them doing stupid things", so their advice is always EXTREMELY conservative. There is not actually any rules against using VMs on Live, which is why you don't see anyone talking about it. They're part of the Truebox rules that TLPs get only.

There is a post on the RG forums for getting EQ to run on Linux that still works fine. You want a main Linux install that you install KVM onto, then make a VM through KVM that sets up a VPN and EQ-on-Linux inside of it. Duplicate that VM once for each box you want to run. Done. Hyper-V is technically also a Type1 Hypervisor, but it uses driver stubs that are VERY easy to detect (they're literally named something like VirtualMouse, VirtualDisplay, etc). Never use a Type 2 (VirtualBox, VMWare). I had a whole group running in KVM automated grinding clear to 50 on Mischief launch and farming for months after, perfectly safe no suspensions. You can do this on a random laptop or whatever just fine

As for communities, there are a number of them that aren't RG who allow discussion of this stuff, but they're extremely insular and tend not to invite people who aren't actively playing with them, where you have the mutually-assured-destruction guarantee if one tries to screw you. I originally met them purely because one was in my old guild from years ago and recognized my name when I was getting beaten with jumper cables for asking about TLP in the Redguides discord. Instead of one big community, it's more like 20 different small groups of people where everybody has friends in the other groups, so there's a lot of "Yall go ask your people if anybody knows how to do <X>".

It's pretty neat in its own way though! We have people pretty regularly now either coming to show us how to do something or learn how we do something and have made a lot of friends.

Awesome, thanks for all that! I did just see someone posted a brand new guide to installing EQ and MQ on Ubuntu 22.04 on the RG forums last week, I haven't messed with WINE in ages but it will be a fun little project for sure. I had kind of figured they were mostly checking for the common virtual drivers in use by Hyper-V and various flavors of VMWare so I think I'm going to play around with KVM and maybe QEMU/Proxmox a bit, have an old Proxmox box sitting around doing nothing as well.

I have met a couple of others running MQ in my current guild, it seems more and more people are being open about it and willing to discuss it but there's still a lot of folks who are extremely negative towards any sort of software use at all so it's a fine line to walk trying to find others!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
As long as you don't make a nuisance of yourself (and even if you do) you will probably not get smoked for MQ2 usage on live. It's so utterly blatant nowadays, all I can do when i last cruised through was smile and wink at 6 box crews spamming shei and a group being perched on every t1 attunable dropper in maiden's eye. I still wouldn't talk about it in any monitored channels though, but that's my paranoia. Keep it to your fellow travelers in discords or elsewhere.

I don't remember the person's name but when I was debating whether I wanted to play test or live last time and duping stuff to test just in case there was apparently some dude just constantly fuming about afk botters in chat that never got looked at. I personally never did that on live (ethical attended MQ2 only) and I wouldn't do it on test but man, talk about a failed crusade at this point, especially since last I looked the fancy paid MQ2 scripts from CWTN were free to test there.

If I had the free time I'd like to get a fresh test crew going though. Not right now, too much on my plate but if the CWTN stuff is free there it'd be nice to try another 6 box setup. Thinking SHD/CLR/MAG/BST/ENC/WIZ this time around though I don't think there's a fancy pants script setup for wizard unfortunately.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 6, 2024

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
That's my primary group except bard instead of ench and nec instead of wiz! If you're relying on CWTN plugins, they are reactive-only for aggro and your non-tanks WILL eat hits. My cleric and SK are both pretty max raid geared and the cleric still dies often enough I'd never go without the necro for backup rezzes. Any time I don't have her in LS content, I come back to my group standing around doing nothing on top of the cleric's corpse.

If you're never planning to let the group do anything without you actively directing, this is less of an issue since you can pause and pop a merc, but the siren song of semi-afk grinding is pretty strong. We had a couple never-afk holdouts who finally gave in when somebody found instant-respawning camp in LS and they got tired of seeing the rest of us pulling in 3k AA/hour. There IS one of "those" guys on Test though who spends hours a week trying to "catch" MQ users. His name's Belderon and he's too stupid to realize everyone on the server using MQ has long since added him to alerts, so he's not particularly successful, but do be aware he's there.

Once you get set up, hmu! I've got a massive pile of custom scripts for test and an infinite amount of 120 chase loot sets I can pile onto your boxes.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
When I was playing live last i ran CWTN plugins in a pretty amateur fashion and pulled for myself on a a bard and it worked out pretty well all things considered. Only had to dial in the aggro radius and it played my 4 others perfectly fine (pal/shm/brd/rog/rog/clr merc) with little to no attention on my part which was really nice. $20 is a steal if you're gonna be playing for how good they are.

Bard owns since I last had one in a poo poo box crew so I enjoyed playing it but I guess it's time to play a live enchanter since I've never seriously played one.

And yea that was the dude. Laughing my rear end off as he was howling about MQ2 users when you could throw a stone and hit 20 macroquesters on the buff pile. Not even going into the fact that as you said anyone vaguely paranoid about getting busted for automation has some form of GTFO set up, an alert for people wandering into your camp, or an alert for notorious troublemakers, or all of it.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Quarm isn’t run by the p99 people fwiw

I’m sure there’s boxing but it’s orders of magnitude less than current live/tlp, for better or worse

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah they take a pretty hard line on it, someone in my guild is quitting because they couldn't get approval for someone else in their house to play on Quarm using the same IP

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
If you ask it might be hard but if you just use a VPN and aren’t blatantly obvious you’ll never be enforced for 2 boxing playing on quarm. There isn’t enough CSR and the devs are too unhinged / spread thin to enforce the rules. They aren’t even really trying to catch people doing RMT - their answer to solving it is “make items so easy to get nobody will be able to sell them” (that’s a quote) but I can tell ya people are hoovering up plat at $20 per 1000.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

rally posted:

If you ask it might be hard but if you just use a VPN and aren’t blatantly obvious you’ll never be enforced for 2 boxing playing on quarm. There isn’t enough CSR and the devs are too unhinged / spread thin to enforce the rules. They aren’t even really trying to catch people doing RMT - their answer to solving it is “make items so easy to get nobody will be able to sell them” (that’s a quote) but I can tell ya people are hoovering up plat at $20 per 1000.

drat dude, I got 40k in the bank

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

That Little Demon posted:

drat dude, I got 40k in the bank

Took me like a week to unload 75k when I quit the server.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Anyone else planning on playing on the 25th anniversary TLP in May - assuming they don't some up with some stupid ruleset ?

All they need to do is stamp out another mischief clone (and maybe release classic with kunark) and it will be rammed.

Some originality I'd like to see is things like resting regen from day 1.

But knowing daybreak they will probably just do some bullshit like server-wide trivial loot code and ruin everthing !

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Baconroll posted:

Anyone else planning on playing on the 25th anniversary TLP in May - assuming they don't some up with some stupid ruleset ?

All they need to do is stamp out another mischief clone (and maybe release classic with kunark) and it will be rammed.

But knowing daybreak they will probably just do some bullshit like server-wide trivial loot code and ruin everthing !

Its on my watchlist. I am waiting for the rule set like most people for sure. My hope is they bring back the dedicated GM, When the 20th server came out having a dedicated GM eat the bot armies helped a ton from getting blocked on so many items that are basicly force sold for Krono (Jboots, Efreeti Boots, etc). The world in classic is small enough that bots and normal people are non stop fighting for the same pulls and few well known cash farms that even an intern can quickly figure out whats going on.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Entirely based on what type of TLP it is. If it's Mischief/Thornblade v2.0 I'm all for it.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Baconroll posted:

I'll be there

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I’m still bitter about the plat dupe exploit on oakwynd to pay them more money or krono.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’ll be playing, unless it’s some terrible ruleset

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I'll be there as well, Oakwynd has been pretty great despite the dupe and subsequent red wine bans. I really like the per-character raid lockouts as it lets me run in multiple guilds, essentially doubly gearing one toon with raid loot. I'm hoping to be fully decked out in Plane of Time gear in the next month or two.

Oakwynd FTE / per-character lockouts / progression unlocks (+xp bonus, +faction, etc. with new xpac releases) along with Mischief style loot would be my ideal TLP. Also if they would go back and do raid currency for all xpacs that would be incredible, but I'm really not holding out much hope. The roadmap lists two TLPs so I'm hoping at least one is a Mischief 2.0 style TLP.

I'm really considering running 3x 6 box crews for 18-manning older content or getting together with other boxers/MQ raid boxers to do current content with extremely low human numbers, but at the very least I'm maining a Warrior this time around to have a raid geared tank for my box crew.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

PyRosflam posted:

Its on my watchlist. I am waiting for the rule set like most people for sure. My hope is they bring back the dedicated GM, When the 20th server came out having a dedicated GM eat the bot armies helped a ton from getting blocked on so many items that are basicly force sold for Krono (Jboots, Efreeti Boots, etc). The world in classic is small enough that bots and normal people are non stop fighting for the same pulls and few well known cash farms that even an intern can quickly figure out whats going on.

What do you mean force sold for krono? Krono is just plat my man. Buy some from another player for plat, and trade the krono for the item that is "being force sold for krono", there you just paid plat for it like you wanted in the first place.

It's immune to inflation too so you should always be turning your plat into krono, and just sell a krono if you ever need plat.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

r0rb posted:

What do you mean force sold for krono? Krono is just plat my man. Buy some from another player for plat, and trade the krono for the item that is "being force sold for krono", there you just paid plat for it like you wanted in the first place.

It's immune to inflation too so you should always be turning your plat into krono, and just sell a krono if you ever need plat.

My point is mages porting directly to efreeti and other key mobs and sitting on him 24/7 blocking anyone from going and doing it on their own.

I'd really rather just kill the mob myself but at this point your fighting obviously cheating bots and forced to buy items.

Note this is not the same as dealing with actual players.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

PyRosflam posted:

My point is mages porting directly to efreeti and other key mobs and sitting on him 24/7 blocking anyone from going and doing it on their own.

I'd really rather just kill the mob myself but at this point your fighting obviously cheating bots and forced to buy items.

Note this is not the same as dealing with actual players.

Yeah this was real bad on Oakwynd. There was a pair of mages sitting in frenzy camp in lguk in every single pick 24/7, as well as the efreeti camp in SolB. They basically corner the market for those two drops and the going rate for GEBS and FBSS is 1 kr+ until at least Kunark. Due to the FTE bug with mage pets being able to engage mobs before FTE actually dropped early on Oakwynd, you basically could do absolutely nothing against them. They also dominated the high value kunark drops like circlet of shadows, Elfpie's crew had a dozen of mages sitting in there 24/7.

I'm 100% for the use of MQ and other apps to enhance gameplay in this 25 year old game with an average user age pushing 45, but I don't condone the above behavior at all. Unfortunately that's just the way it is and will be, the MQ platform allows for nefarious activity involving RMT and grants the ability to corner markets like this.

Speaking of MQ, they did a ban wave last week hitting folks on live servers I guess, there's a thread on Redguides about it. They've been handing out actual full bans and not just suspensions.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Bots = money so I don't see them loving over their own bottom line again.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

shirunei posted:

Bots = money so I don't see them loving over their own bottom line again.

Aradune had a dedicated GM that blocked those mage bot armies, you could find frost giants and various high value mobs up much longer on that server.

That said it's been years since they did that. But at the time it's population of live actual players was huge.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

As much as the bot armies suck, it’s never been a deal breaker for me. I’ve just accepted that there’s a few items I will have to buy instead of being able to camp.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Baconroll posted:

When do they announce the ruleset?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

They usually announce stuff in April and it launches around the end of May iirc.

My Oakwynd experience has kinda soured me on EQ in general. Endless bot armies running unchecked 24/7 sucks. I left before the dupes hit too. That sounds even dumber.

I might check it out if it's a Mischief clone. But I don't know, the whole vibe of TLPs is kinda trash. Everyone does the exact same poo poo every year and aggressively annoying people locking down every cool item in the game sucks. I would gladly pay extra for a server with functioning GMs stopping annoying poo poo like that.

How about a Mischief type sever (random and more loot) but everything is no drop? 😂

I imagine that just ends with the same people selling loot rights rather than the items.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Malaria posted:

They usually announce stuff in April and it launches around the end of May iirc.

My Oakwynd experience has kinda soured me on EQ in general. Endless bot armies running unchecked 24/7 sucks. I left before the dupes hit too. That sounds even dumber.

I might check it out if it's a Mischief clone. But I don't know, the whole vibe of TLPs is kinda trash. Everyone does the exact same poo poo every year and aggressively annoying people locking down every cool item in the game sucks. I would gladly pay extra for a server with functioning GMs stopping annoying poo poo like that.

How about a Mischief type sever (random and more loot) but everything is no drop? 😂

I imagine that just ends with the same people selling loot rights rather than the items.

Really depends how well the mischief random items thing works, To narrow and someone sits on all level 37 named mobs. With no drop off it helped a lot actully since a ton of items got super cheap since normal people could get them far more easily then on other servers. Of course exclusive items just got more anoying since a few would drop from an easy mob then get taken away after people got them. Overall it does a good job of keeping the uber bots from taking over some markets however.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Count me in on the TLP in May unless it has dumb rules. I’d love to level a cleric if we get a guild going. I always want to play cleric but mainly play solo and it’s just not the same.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
There won’t be a ‘goon guild’ but several guilds will have goons in them, just find a name you like in your chosen timezone. There is a discord we hang out in though, shouldn’t be too many pages back in the thread.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

onesixtwo posted:

There won’t be a ‘goon guild’ but several guilds will have goons in them, just find a name you like in your chosen timezone. There is a discord we hang out in though, shouldn’t be too many pages back in the thread.

https://discord.gg/ubHejVjh

It's pretty dead but gets popular again around new TLP release.

I followed onesixtwo to my current guild on Oakwynd when it started, they've been good peeps. But yeah there's usually not enough interest for a goon guild, but we do often pick one and join together.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
My server is starting to feel increasingly shaky and I never know how long my current guild will last before attrition kicks in. There are still five or so guilds clearing end game content and we're in Rain of Fear but server is definitely slowing down and feeling its age. The fall off after each launch week is increasingly sharp. The graphics bugs from the directx11 patch drove a few folks off, just sort of being the straw on the camels back of dissatisfaction with the game in general. After another cycle of a tlp launch + summer Aradune probably gonna be really sparse come august, though I hope not.

The end stage of the tlp lifecycle naturally has me wondering about the next round the wheel. My krono stash will let my boxes ride out til aradune reaches live if its still active. But after the pace of play on tlps I dont know how much I'd enjoy live and a year per xpac. Or, for that matter, if I would honestly do another start and play back all the way through to the point where I'm at. I feel like I'm getting a fairly close idea of what it'd be like to play my current toon on live, I'm not sure how much changes between level 100 and 125.

Like everyone else I think a lot hinges on the ruleset. I dont want to hop on a server thats gonna be a ghost town, if it had something to maintain a healthy pop a few years out that'd be cool but anything sleepier than that and I might as well just hang on for live.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Coolnezzz posted:

I'm really considering running 3x 6 box crews for 18-manning older content or getting together with other boxers/MQ raid boxers to do current content with extremely low human numbers, but at the very least I'm maining a Warrior this time around to have a raid geared tank for my box crew.

Late but I wanted to warn you anyway that 18 is a really awkward number for EQ raids if you're talking about live/125. That is what I thought too, but a bunch of us have 18 each and there's surprisingly few raids that you can do with 18 but can't with 12. We use 18 for the VP raid that drops the insane speed mount now and that's it. Most newer than that have mechanics that make it REALLY hard to do with 18. 24 can do a whole lot though, including Shei which is an absolutely amazing farm raid for MQers to gear up group-geared boxes. We still farm it on lockout. There's some scripts on RG that you run on your enchanters/clerics/paladins/rangers that do all the mechanics, so you just show up and turn on auto attack and wait 15 mins then collect your loots.

fwiw MQing raids is a billion times more fun with at least one other person. I would've long since gotten bored and quit the game again, but instead I'm anxiously awaiting T3 raids going live and having the best EQ time I ever had :unsmith: We're also planning to hit the new TLP server as a normal non-MQ group if the rules are fun

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
looks like some deets about new servers dropped for TLP.

Tormax and Teek, May 20th, starting with Kunark if the Test messages are to be correct.

There's some scuttlebutt about some weird rear end rulesets though, which i wouldn't put any chips on personally, like capping at 25 then every week raising the cap by 5 levels. sounds like bullshit, you'd gate keep half the content for the entirety of the expansion.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

iNteg posted:

looks like some deets about new servers dropped for TLP.

Tormax and Teek, May 20th, starting with Kunark if the Test messages are to be correct.

There's some scuttlebutt about some weird rear end rulesets though, which i wouldn't put any chips on personally, like capping at 25 then every week raising the cap by 5 levels. sounds like bullshit, you'd gate keep half the content for the entirety of the expansion.

That rule set thing is bunk :) Only confirmed info is whats on Test.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
50% Bonus EXP and a free level 100 character to all-access members for the 25th.

Pretty cool that they are going to start with Kunark, I like that alot! Alas, I probably ~ won't ~ be back unless there's a goon rush. Doing the raid scene on the TLP is alot of fun but alot of time.

Happy Anniversery nerds

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Waroduce posted:

50% Bonus EXP and a free level 100 character to all-access members for the 25th.

Pretty cool that they are going to start with Kunark, I like that alot! Alas, I probably ~ won't ~ be back unless there's a goon rush. Doing the raid scene on the TLP is alot of fun but alot of time.

Happy Anniversery nerds

I still think the number of fippy deaths is too low, unless that's just players killing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Happy Anniversery nerds

The Kunark start hasn't been confirmed - so far its an assumption based on a calendar entry that was removed.