Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
SKs also get an amazing AA at 85 called Hate's Attraction that works like a harpoon and yanks a mob directly to you. Hit FD after and it wipes all the rest of the group's aggro, stand up, yay single pull!

They are even more AA dependent now than previously though. At 600 you're about 2/3 of the way through the "wet noodle" portion of being an SK. At 1500ish you'll be competent up to 85, then it'll be 2k-2500 before you're ready to move on. Kodaji's 85 with almost 2500AA and solid gear, HoT still trashes me unless I use 2x cleric mercs and VoA is entirely out of the question regardless. I can slowly handle SoD zones but they're not really worth it. Tanking in this game gets loving nasty really fast once you start hitting any of the more recent expansions.

I love my SK and wouldn't trade him for anything, but you could pretty much start a non-tank class at level 1 and be 90 grouping in HoT/VoA faster than you can get that SK to tank worthy status to do the same. The ranger/monk/bard are all going to be far less dependent on grinding AA until your eyes bleed. Swarming is fun as gently caress though so if you don't mind cranking another 1k or 1500 AA doing it before doing anything else, play the SK like a baller :frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I really want to go to bed but I also really want to stay awake so I can see if the Fabled Vaniki spawns on the server start.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Is that Willsapper better than the regular one? I actually picked one up that was rotting the other night, though I have a bard and shaman and don't really have a use for it

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

The ranger/monk/bard are all going to be far less dependent on grinding AA until your eyes bleed. Swarming is fun as gently caress though so if you don't mind cranking another 1k or 1500 AA doing it before doing anything else, play the SK like a baller :frogc00l:

Basically I've been burning my lesson on the SK in Paw, which gets me 20-25 AA per lesson. Then I camp the SK and level the monk. I haven't played the Ranger in probably a year, because I kind of hit a lull with him at 71 (or 72, I forget).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Is that Willsapper better than the regular one? I actually picked one up that was rotting the other night, though I have a bard and shaman and don't really have a use for it

The proc isn't any better. I just want a willsapper of some form. Vlekdsisiruairueoiwoarko, that spear from Siren's Grotto, isn't nearly as good. Even though I have access to a slower whenever I want, I've been wanting that goddamn weapon ever since I saw it first uploaded to Allakhazam's.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It does look really fancy sitting in a bag! I think I'm going to use it to see if I can solo Innoruuk with it so I can gimp 2x kills per lockout until my loving Songblade drops. I can't believe we rotted one a week before my bard was high enough to loot it.

Anybody know if that works? Basically clearing P1-3 with all my characters, then dropping the SK out and soloing Saryrn with just him, then using monk/sham in their own dz to kill Saryrn again? Then clearing the rest of P4 and doing the same thing a second time with Innoruuk? Double kills would be bitchin

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 16, 2012

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
Little do you know I'm going to ninjaloot that Songblade.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm starting a shaman box in a few days. Is there any fabled loot I should grab with him? It doesn't look like there is anything with a really special clickie for shaman.

Also, is it true they are activating every single anniversary event/task this year? I need to keep track of that poo poo, those have some decent AC augs.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

20 minutes !!!!!!!!!!

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

lemonslol posted:

20 minutes !!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever played everquest before? I'm not saying it's impossible but it's extremely likely that the downtime will be a tad bit longer than what SOE have estimated.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Yeah they're activating it all. I am spending the next 6 hours while we bitch about servers not being up yet to make a big list of poo poo worth hitting. Just found a mission with guaranteed Anger 5 clicky that I'm doing for sure, anybody with an 80+ tank needs to get in on it. Free 10% aggro buff is the tits.

I'll post my list in a bit once I get done scouring all 50 billion fabled items and quests

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Im just tryna hop on luclin hit my name change, get a guild invite, say bye to my guild on Tunare, and then come hang. If it's not up in the next two minutes i'm going to sleep though.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
GAME IS UP GO GO GO

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas
Wow, servers are actually up!

I know the OP has a different recommended skin, but I love VertUI and it's already been updated.

Here is a link to Vert blue:

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6274

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Holy gently caress no way. Hats off to Sony for once!

Now taking bets on how long they're up before emergency patch

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I feel so drat lost in this game, it took me twenty minutes to get out of the Bazzar. Where do I hire Mercs? How much are they? I used to actually know how to do half the crap in this game but man, its a totally different ballgame compared to what we had back in the day.

I mean... Functional Maps, This would have been useful back in the day!

Edit: Ok this poo poo is annoying, pop up windows in game twice now asking me to upgrade to gold. Also whenever I switch to another character I get a new tab asking for me to upgrade. This could get old real fast.

Nthman fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 16, 2012

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah SOE hasn't quite grasped the whole 'F2P' quite yet. If it's like EQ2 they basically piss you off into either going for the $15 a month or you quit out of sheer annoyance. The fact they severely limit your character choices is a bit jarring. Why can't they follow the LOTR F2P model? :sigh:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Stanos posted:

Yeah SOE hasn't quite grasped the whole 'F2P' quite yet. If it's like EQ2 they basically piss you off into either going for the $15 a month or you quit out of sheer annoyance. The fact they severely limit your character choices is a bit jarring. Why can't they follow the LOTR F2P model? :sigh:

Because for some bizarre-rear end reason the EQ2 F2P model was by far the most profitable part of the game for them. You and I see it as broken, but I guess SOE looks at it, sees dollar signs and says if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Stanos posted:

They claim on their F2P page that you can pay to unlock more classes, but I don't know how it works.

I don't really get it either, but I kind of see it like a permanent trial for EQ, which doesn't hurt. What I least understand is their class choices though. 3/4 (rogue, warrior, cleric) are all so simple and rather dull up to level 60 or so, with only wizards being a bit more fun. Not exactly a great way to lure people in.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
F2P doesn't seem very appealing.

Would anyone actually play this way long term? I mean I can't even log on and gently caress around because my characters' 5 year old raid gear doesn't work.

I guess the idea is to get people trying it before they realize how bad the restrictions are. I guess I'm not the target market because I'm not a new player and I hate cash shops.

The popups are just petty.

e: ^^^ To me it seems like they chose what they saw as the dullest races/classes for F2P.

Erz fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 16, 2012

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I can't seem to connect to EQ through the SOD installation on steam. it just tells me it can't get a connection and the launchpad just shows a blank SoE title. Should I just download it off the website?

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
It appears there is a merc liason in the tutorial area now

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
checking this out. i'm looking forward to seeing what this EQ is all about.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fair warning, do not upgrade from basic F2P to silver until you stash all your inventory in bank slots. I did on my bard and all the slots that previously had bags full of poo poo in them were eaten

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
F2p is completely useless, good luck doing anything when you can't wear any equipment.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Logged in to my old accounts before work to see what's worth transferring to Luclin to consolidate characters; SK and Monk incoming!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Erz posted:

F2P doesn't seem very appealing.

Would anyone actually play this way long term? I mean I can't even log on and gently caress around because my characters' 5 year old raid gear doesn't work.

Try taking the augs out?

imonyourroof
May 31, 2006

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Fair warning, do not upgrade from basic F2P to silver until you stash all your inventory in bank slots. I did on my bard and all the slots that previously had bags full of poo poo in them were eaten

I think i remember reading that items in inventory/bank slot you loose when you change account status get mailed back to you. That said, knowing EQ i wouldn't be surprised if they just get eaten.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I'm on Luclin as Trebbek, and boxing Sayjak.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Did you check your parcel inbox, by the gnome in PoK? It seems stupid that upgrading should eat them (how could it, since being basic F2P only has 4 slots but silver has 6), but you never know. Do you mean you downgraded from gold to silver?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

So what would be a good class to run with? Since I can get a mercenary it seems like any class I pick won't have any problems in the long run at least. I've been thinking of running a Beastlord or a Necromancer. I've also thought about going Shadowknight.

E: If I have gold membership now and make classes like beastlord etc, Once I go silver will they be unusable until I pay for the class?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 16, 2012

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pre-Kunark nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Opened 65 priestess of the atronarch booster packs. I was hoping for a Doll's Mask but all I got was house ornaments. No big deal though.

Dunkelbrau
Aug 9, 2003
Does anyone run LDoN stuff at lower levels? For some reason some of my most nostalgic memories of EQ are from these dumb randomly generated dungeons.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

No I don't think anyone really does those although fippy darkpaw just unlocked ldons.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Fantastic OP, one thing I would query though is that it says Silver is $5 a month. I understood Silver to be a one off $5 payment.

I always presumed the idea from the Gamerunners (as Turbine do something similar) was that you get your card registered onto the account and that makes it much easier to impulse click into a couple of items from the cash store and that's how they make more coins out of you.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mike1o1 posted:

Wow, servers are actually up!

I know the OP has a different recommended skin, but I love VertUI and it's already been updated.

Here is a link to Vert blue:

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6274

:getin:

My favorite UI.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Fazana posted:

Fantastic OP, one thing I would query though is that it says Silver is $5 a month. I understood Silver to be a one off $5 payment.

That is the way I understood it also, but I haven't actually spent any time looking into it to confirm as I play on Fippy and have to have a gold membership.

Also I really like Drakah UI's and have used them since like original PoP release.
They are currently being reworked for the new free to play, but I think a couple of the different ones are already finished.

Can download them at http://www.shakahr.com

Drakah Steel:

Drakah Celtic:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Currently opening 135 LoN boosters, this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Shrapnac posted:

Currently opening 135 LoN boosters, this sucks.

It's worse when you open so much and don't get the loot card you want.

At least we get some good cards out of it v:shobon:v