Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I think all the TLPs have been stripped of buyable Krono now - I expect everything of value in the bazaar has either been bought up or delisted.

Will be interesting to see how much longer it takes daybreak to react !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Baconroll posted:

I think all the TLPs have been stripped of buyable Krono now - I expect everything of value in the bazaar has either been bought up or delisted.

Will be interesting to see how much longer it takes daybreak to react !

Servers are down for a hotfix, we'll see if there is a roll back but there likely will be IMO. I bet it will be at least a roll back to Sunday if not further. Folks were handing out plat by the millions in the bazaar and nexus on oakwynd, everything of value was bought up yesterday afternoon/evening. I didn't even do anything but noticed I had tens of thousands of trade skill mats in my depot from the stuff I was working on last week.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Servers are back, no rollback.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Solarin posted:

New dupe related to the tradeskill depot has supposedly been thoroughly abused for a week. I am not playing much at the moment but had to log in and confirm that yeah the price of krono on Oakwynd went from 50-60k to 500k (highest barter offer when I checked). The krono being listed for sale are all 1-2M.

Funny stuff and a good reminder to never sit on significant raw plat on a TLP.

They were (still are?) in emergency maintance over this. The team took at least 4 days to figure out what the heck was going on.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Coolnezzz posted:

Servers are back, no rollback.

cool lol. Can someone give me a billion plat and twink my rear end?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
A billion gets you some GEBs and a blue diamond bracelet or earring, your choice.

Meanwhile some folks on Yelinak duped up their AAAA and cultural stocks. Bazu stones are even valuable now for alts. We’re going to be living on cultural armors for a good long while.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

What even is the last time the game has had a rollback? The whole process is probably lost tech to them at this point, like the process of transferring characters between accounts.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

koreban posted:

A billion gets you some GEBs and a blue diamond bracelet or earring, your choice.

Meanwhile some folks on Yelinak duped up their AAAA and cultural stocks. Bazu stones are even valuable now for alts. We’re going to be living on cultural armors for a good long while.

Is it all servers or just the TLPs?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
The exploit was available on all servers. Essentially, if you used tradeskill materials out of your tradeskill depot to do combines that required multiples of said materials, the items would duplicate based on the number of the item required for the combine. You could trigger the dupe and not even know it.

There was some zoning required to sort of “lock in” the weird floating value in your depot first (if you used all TS mats or otherwise withdrew them before logging or zoning, it wouldn’t trigger the dupe.)

From what I’ve seen and heard, the net effect on most servers was clearing out of cheap Kronos available on the bazaar for krono hoarders and sellers. It was the bigger TLPs (Mischief and Oakwynd) that got hit hardest due to larger populations and more inscrutable types who told their friends.) Those servers will have to deal with hyperinflation for a while - again in the case of Mischief.

One person I know had one account suspended for 14 days and another banned outright for the dupe. He was making AAAAs for cultural and his tinker got banned. He actually spent an hour on Sunday destroying a half million clockwork gear pinions after he realized his TS depot was growing. He sent in his logs showing him deleting 1000 unit stacks hundreds of times in his appeal, so we’ll see if that works out in his favor.

Someone else who is making very loud noises about having reported the bug and still being banned (and carefully leaving out the part where he duped himself out mid-8 figures of plat first) got unbanned after appealing and pointing out that he reported the bug.

It’s the jchan era of EQ. There’s no consistency and fun isn’t allowed. It’s hard to prognosticate.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It 100% ruined my taste for the game and if I continue playing, I’m no longer trying to play legitimate ever again.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hate to break it to you but plat and/or item duping is a fairly regular thing.

With 25 years of spaghetti code, they’re always breaking something that someone figures out a way to profit from. Sometimes they fix it quickly, sometimes it goes wild before they get a handle on it. The last one was about 2 years ago.

There’s no reason to stand on your laurels and play 100% legit. No one does. Just don’t go nuts with automation and exploits, keep quiet - by which I mean don’t brag about poo poo or get overly aggressive with people that would report you - and you’ll be fine.

Stay away from duping if you at all can. There’s one thing they take super serious, and that’s a threat to their forex income stream.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Hah come to the dark side, my padawans. Resistance is futile

New expansion dropped on Test and promptly started eating people's characters when they tried personas. The best part was watching more people log in, be told in general chat not to touch personas, then doing it anyway and losing their characters too

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 30, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so how did all the dupe/plat shenanigans shake out?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Items prices are "Wierd" the amount of money in the econ is out of control.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MrTheDevious posted:

Hah come to the dark side, my padawans. Resistance is futile

New expansion dropped on Test and promptly started eating people's characters when they tried personas. The best part was watching more people log in, be told in general chat not to touch personas, then doing it anyway and losing their characters too

Hell of a fail state on a database operation

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
New Zimbabwe expansion

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Waroduce posted:

Congrats if you participated in the dupe.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The good old red wine quest has suddenly been nuked with official statements of 'exploiters'. Its been used extensively forever as a legit quest, so I wonder whats suddenly got them all excited.

It can't just been handing in redwine for exp - I'm guessing a 'real' exploit.

After level 30 its painfully slow, so maybe someone found a way to get good exp out of it 30+ ?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Baconroll posted:

The good old red wine quest has suddenly been nuked with official statements of 'exploiters'. Its been used extensively forever as a legit quest, so I wonder whats suddenly got them all excited.

It can't just been handing in redwine for exp - I'm guessing a 'real' exploit.

After level 30 its painfully slow, so maybe someone found a way to get good exp out of it 30+ ?

You can craft red wine, they probably tradeskill duped stacks upon stacks. TS depot dupe strikes again.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I heard something about (the number of) people mass-PLing personas crashing the zones being the issue but :shrug:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think it was as simple as the dupe making grinding 1-40+ super economical on Oakwynd, and people dire charming the NPC and placing him by the wine vendor so it could be efficiently scripted to do shitloads of turn ins with 0 effort in an economy where krono are worth 1M+ but the level cap is only 60. It would be way way more cost efficient than paying for a PL.

Add in the alternate persona/legacy bonus incentive and the Oakwynd specific bonus xp event, then I assume dozens of people were scripting this poo poo to grind up many characters because it’s smart and efficient.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I was only active on Oakwynd at the time of the dupe but it’s definitely hosed the economy long term that will probably take over a year to even out. Krono essentially went 10x in value, and the market is so volatile nobody knows if they’ll be 20x value tomorrow or 5x. The response from Daybreak that they removed a significant amount of the duped plat is a complete smoke show. It’s hosed and only lots of time will reduce the volatility in the market.

I feel really bad for people who wanted to make Oakwynd their home server for multiple years. They simply got hosed over. It’s gotta be the most mismanaged mess daybreak has had since maybe Ragefire.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Apart from trying my hand at boxing for the first time ever, I didn't really do much with oakwynd apart from get to like 20 with my lil box crew. I really enjoyed the classic-PoP experience on Yelinak and I did the GoD launch but sort of lost interest after.

I'm def open to reliving the classic-pop experience, it was some of the best gaming experiences I've had ever. Especially launch days and like seeing PoHate and Fear for the fiest time in 20 yesrs, getting keyed for VP and doing all the things. It's a shame about the economy but hopefully they put together a good TLP gimmick next time around.

I'm tempted to box again in the future but I was able to slide into ALOT of box groups and random crews by just being a bard who pulls good. It was pretty easy to ride the exp train by telling nerds boxing characters that they could chill and I'd feed em mobs. My concern with boxing is fitting into groups since while it might be more efficient to be independent and roll exp, the thing that keeps me coming back is the intensely personal experience of grouping with random nerds in a very dangerous place where the consequences are real and everyone has a part to play. Kunark launch and being one of the first crews in Old Seb getting items and the mess that is 7 overpopulated instances of Chardon opening weekend is a very fond memory of mine.

I think a large part of it to was having a friend (Oroborealis/porterhouse) to share the xperience with and a stroke of luck with Tegridy putting us into a very end game, perennially top 3 guild on the server we got to grow up with.

I hope the economy evens out and the next tlp has a good gimmick.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 17, 2023

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Apart from trying my hand at boxing for the first time ever, I didn't really do much with oakwynd apart from get to like 20 with my lil box crew. I really enjoyed the classic-PoP experience on Yelinak and I did the GoD launch but sort of lost interest after.

I'm def open to reliving the classic-pop experience, it was some of the best gaming experiences I've had ever. Especially launch days and like seeing PoHate and Fear for the fiest time in 20 yesrs, getting keyed for VP and doing all the things. It's a shame about the economy but hopefully they put together a good TLP gimmick next time around.

I'm tempted to box again in the future but I was able to slide into ALOT of box groups and random crews by just being a bard who pulls good. It was pretty easy to ride the exp train by telling nerds boxing characters that they could chill and I'd feed em mobs. My concern with boxing is fitting into groups since while it might be more efficient to be independent and roll exp, the thing that keeps me coming back is the intensely personal experience of grouping with random nerds in a very dangerous place where the consequences are real and everyone has a part to play. Kunark launch and being one of the first crews in Old Seb getting items and the mess that is 7 overpopulated instances of Chardon opening weekend is a very fond memory of mine.

I think a large part of it to was having a friend (Oroborealis/porterhouse) to share the xperience with and a stroke of luck with Tegridy putting us into a very end game, perennially top 3 guild on the server we got to grow up with.

I hope the economy evens out and the next tlp has a good gimmick.

Yea I had a blast playing with you two. That guild was the best experience I’ve ever had in EQ and really made raiding enjoyable.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

RCarr posted:

Yea I had a blast playing with you two. That guild was the best experience I’ve ever had in EQ and really made raiding enjoyable.

The shaman/monk thing was so rough for you ☠️ but yeah our little trio progging the new expansions was amazing

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

The shaman/monk thing was so rough for you ☠️ but yeah our little trio progging the new expansions was amazing

Haha yea, but the monk/cleric combo turned out to work surprisingly well!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

People constantly sleep on clerics because they're boring, but they're the ticket, gently caress shamans. Mine hits 75% or so of a shaman's DPS, my beastlord and bard can both slow fine enough now that slow is garbage, and cleric heals are on a completely different level. I can pull 20 plus a couple named in new LS zones and my SK still can't die. You can completely ignore even deathtouch mechanics because the cleric can happily tank whatever while rezzing. Cleric itself can even eat the DT and one EE later, she's so mana-efficient she just goes right back to healing with 0 mana.

They're utterly absurd now, but the shaman myth is so strong nobody plays them anyway

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Cleric healing is untouchable, and the personal DPS is similar, but people play shaman in the group game because the heals are good enough and the ADPS from a shaman is very strong.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
One of my friends has starting playing on the PoP locked P99 server, project Quarm. Does anyone have any experience with it or tried the server out?

No boxing and RMT at all sounds like a lot of fun, but it's like old EQ exp/leveling that's a grind I can do without these days.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

One of my friends has starting playing on the PoP locked P99 server, project Quarm. Does anyone have any experience with it or tried the server out?

No boxing and RMT at all sounds like a lot of fun, but it's like old EQ exp/leveling that's a grind I can do without these days.

It’s very much the worst exp grind you forgot about, with custom aggro mechanics that make newbie levels feel really weird and powerful, and also the server is full of boxers already because that’s how it goes. I got a Druid to 14 in like 4 days /played. Its disgusting.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

OGS-Remix posted:

Do not do it

The only reason we put up with the terrible grind was we had no other choice back in the day.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

onesixtwo posted:

It’s very much the worst exp grind you forgot about, with custom aggro mechanics that make newbie levels feel really weird and powerful, and also the server is full of boxers already because that’s how it goes. I got a Druid to 14 in like 4 days /played. Its disgusting.

That's disappointing to hear. I'm surprised to hear there's boxers already, my friend insisted P99 was very strict on enforcing one toon, one person.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

That's disappointing to hear. I'm surprised to hear there's boxers already, my friend insisted P99 was very strict on enforcing one toon, one person.

This works to a point, and p99 is not that point sadly.

There will always be gm checks when things look obviously fishy, but I know multiple people who used vpns while I was on p99 and it was just understood it was happening.

With quarm, the friends I know boxing it have just been using a vpn since day 1. These are people who run 6+ on retail servers so hiding a single box is pretty effortless.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Even on live, all you have to do is run a VPN inside virtual machines and you can run however many you want. There's not much anyone can do to stop it

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MrTheDevious posted:

Even on live, all you have to do is run a VPN inside virtual machines and you can run however many you want. There's not much anyone can do to stop it

Supposedly, GMs have an in-game command that can read a target's client and report back if it's running on a VM, according to some folks at RedGuides. The exact mechanism for this is unknown, also not sure if it's actually true. I think some EU privacy laws forbid this stuff these days? I think they just don't care about when you do it on live compared to a TLP, but is detectable.

I've been curious about running Ubuntu and KVM + some Ubuntu VMs running WINE and EQ, then attempting to obfuscate the hypervisor from the VM so I can run multiple boxes on a TLP without additional hardware, but everything I read about it says it's very detectable. I assume most of those people that got caught were just running hyper-v or vmware player or something really basic, but a linux VM, hidden from the hypervisor, running WINE, might have a chance to bypass their checks?

I started playing with MQ about 6 weeks ago and it's really given me a new interest in the game, unfortunately that means I did try my hand at the red wine quest scripting and was caught in the ban wave! But I got about 17 characters to level 40-45 with it. Been using mostly KissAssist for controlling my boxes but have also been writing little LUA events using Lua Expression Manager to do things like always keep Celestial Fists up on the monks while they are in combat, always keeping my Ranger self buffs up, always clicking my Dark Cloak of the Sky haste clicky if I'm in combat and have no other spell-based haste buff, etc.

Lots of cool MQ stuff isn't written for TLPs, like the Scriber LUA. I've been modifying it and adding all of the classic EQ zone spell vendors to it and learning a lot about LUA in the process. It's super fun but I wish I could find more people to chat with this stuff about, any talk about MQ use on TLPs is forbidden on RedGuides and their discord.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

OGS-Remix posted:

FWIW, there's several people playing Quarm over in the P99/EQEmu thread.

A running theme of the server has been to 'remove the bottlenecks'. The legacy loot code is a genuinely good idea (character flag once you've looted a legacy-tagged item like a Manastone or Rubicite BP, such that you can't loot it again on that toon).

The server is definitely sliding into custom content territory, which may or may not bother you if you're looking for a classic EQ experience. For example the latest thing has been to examine the stats on Planar gear and replace useless stats with more appropriate ones, or changing procs on useless Dragon drops, etc.

onesixtwo posted:

It is a grind, for sure.

I'm fairly sure the Quarm code uses the aggro mechanics derived from TAKP which were reverse engineered from Al'Kabor's Live server. My impression is that they just feel very different to Live and P99 because they're from a different era. IIRC there's a huge amount of aggro for being the first person on the mob's aggro list, and mobs will tend to aggro whoever stands closer at lower levels. This changes as you level up, but gives warriors (and knights to a lesser extent) a reasonable way to aggro in low/mid levels without having proccing weapons.

Coolnezzz posted:

Supposedly, GMs have an in-game command that can read a target's client and report back if it's running on a VM, according to some folks at RedGuides. The exact mechanism for this is unknown, also not sure if it's actually true. I think some EU privacy laws forbid this stuff these days? I think they just don't care about when you do it on live compared to a TLP, but is detectable.

I'm not so sure it would be done with the Quarm client given that it uses the December 2002 client files. There is a custom DLL which could conceivably do this stuff, so maybe. I think box discovery is mostly done via screen recording + /petition.

Live is a completely different story. I would not be at all surprised if they have some mechanism for fingerprinting VMs but they don't seem to have a strong incentive to get rid of them as the krono :10bux: keeps coming in.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea they don’t give a poo poo about anything on live servers. You have to be cheating egregiously to catch a ban. They just want to keep the money rolling in.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Coolnezzz posted:

I've been curious about running Ubuntu and KVM + some Ubuntu VMs running WINE and EQ, then attempting to obfuscate the hypervisor from the VM so I can run multiple boxes on a TLP without additional hardware, but everything I read about it says it's very detectable. I assume most of those people that got caught were just running hyper-v or vmware player or something really basic, but a linux VM, hidden from the hypervisor, running WINE, might have a chance to bypass their checks?

I started playing with MQ about 6 weeks ago and it's really given me a new interest in the game, unfortunately that means I did try my hand at the red wine quest scripting and was caught in the ban wave! But I got about 17 characters to level 40-45 with it. Been using mostly KissAssist for controlling my boxes but have also been writing little LUA events using Lua Expression Manager to do things like always keep Celestial Fists up on the monks while they are in combat, always keeping my Ranger self buffs up, always clicking my Dark Cloak of the Sky haste clicky if I'm in combat and have no other spell-based haste buff, etc.

Lots of cool MQ stuff isn't written for TLPs, like the Scriber LUA. I've been modifying it and adding all of the classic EQ zone spell vendors to it and learning a lot about LUA in the process. It's super fun but I wish I could find more people to chat with this stuff about, any talk about MQ use on TLPs is forbidden on RedGuides and their discord.

I coded up my own screen reading tool mostly as a personal exercise. Being able to read first pixle information and later screen locations to capture what buffs I have and things like that. More or less going for an indirect solution to creating AI bots that I can run in code.

This can be super helpful as I'm not touching memory directly but instead using a solution that could be used in any game.

Some of my models ended up doing some really silly things, like backing up when hit (and then backing up off a cliff) and forgetting if I am sitting or standing and starting to do a dance. But when they work they work really well like having an enchanter auto CC (or even a bard), cleric auto heal, and auto buff with a queue.

But ya, really fun to see what goes into making that stuff work and creating quality of life tools to get around rules like 2 min clickeys.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Coolnezzz posted:

The Redguides people are brilliant, but they have a very specific viewpoint, which is "Most people using this software are idiots and we don't want to be blamed for them doing stupid things", so their advice is always EXTREMELY conservative. There is not actually any rules against using VMs on Live, which is why you don't see anyone talking about it. They're part of the Truebox rules that TLPs get only.

There is a post on the RG forums for getting EQ to run on Linux that still works fine. You want a main Linux install that you install KVM onto, then make a VM through KVM that sets up a VPN and EQ-on-Linux inside of it. Duplicate that VM once for each box you want to run. Done. Hyper-V is technically also a Type1 Hypervisor, but it uses driver stubs that are VERY easy to detect (they're literally named something like VirtualMouse, VirtualDisplay, etc). Never use a Type 2 (VirtualBox, VMWare). I had a whole group running in KVM automated grinding clear to 50 on Mischief launch and farming for months after, perfectly safe no suspensions. You can do this on a random laptop or whatever just fine

As for communities, there are a number of them that aren't RG who allow discussion of this stuff, but they're extremely insular and tend not to invite people who aren't actively playing with them, where you have the mutually-assured-destruction guarantee if one tries to screw you. I originally met them purely because one was in my old guild from years ago and recognized my name when I was getting beaten with jumper cables for asking about TLP in the Redguides discord. Instead of one big community, it's more like 20 different small groups of people where everybody has friends in the other groups, so there's a lot of "Yall go ask your people if anybody knows how to do <X>".

It's pretty neat in its own way though! We have people pretty regularly now either coming to show us how to do something or learn how we do something and have made a lot of friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I wish I wasn’t terrible with computers because that sounds cool but also like rocket science to me