Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
I didn't know I had a bard on the server, in as Concerta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Just in case this helps anyone, but if you log in with your old account and you're missing you last 2 inventory slots, there's a little gnome parcel merchant next to the Dogle bank in the Plane of Knowledge where you can reclaim the stuff that was in those slots.

I think you only have until 4/15/2012 to do it, though.

I was freaking out because my Epic was in one of those slots.

Oh neat so if they don't start supporting my chipset soon I'll lose whatever's in my last two slots :suicide: Hope there's nothing important there.

If I'd known I'd actually have an itch to play this silly game I probably would've done some research into workable laptops before purchasing this one.

EDIT: Need to stay away from this thread. I'm jealous of your fun.

I replied again to the same thread on the official forums (I'm the only posting in it since like december lol) but no response yet. Probably open up a support ticket tomorrow and see if "just" maybe I'll be able to get any sort of answer.

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 19, 2012

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Is the Fellowship Experience mechanic still in the game? How does that work, and experience sharing from a higher level killing mobs for someone else lower level in the same group?

In a fellowship, you can opt to share xp, which will siphon off a percentage of what you earn (unsure on the exact amount) and split it amongst the others in the fellowship who are also opted in to sharing. The xp gets stored as Vitality (think rested xp if you ever played WoW) which will basically give you bonus xp on the other character(s) until you use it all up. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that if you have your xp set to 100% AA, you will only give other characters AA Vitality, and vice versa.

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001

Ckwiesr posted:

I played on Tarew Marr back in the day as Iendyar the rogue. Were you ever in any guilds?

I was in Flame of the Phoenix and then Dogs of War for a while, that would have been between 2000 and about 2004 or so.

But good point, jetz0r. I think I'll just reroll. Is Necro still a viable solo class to get up to Goon Group range?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Necro is still a fantastic soloer and they are top tier incredible DPS later. You won't regret making one at all, promise. They can even group heal pretty well these days.

Guild so full of goons it's hard to keep up with the various conversations going. Most fun EQ has been in years, get in now while it's really fun :v:

We also have our first batch of characters hitting 70s and are planning some oldschool events soon. I'll post em in the thread as we nail stuff down

Edit - some are boxes, but 76 goons in guild online right now. We'd have to sit people for a raid :v:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 19, 2012

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Whats a good class/strat for powerleveling a shadowknight?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Cynode posted:

Whats a good class/strat for powerleveling a shadowknight?

Ranger with headshot can power level anyone

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

lemonslol posted:

Ranger with headshot can power level anyone

Does that only work if they can group? What about until they can, my highest ranger is 76.

Muffet
Jan 18, 2011
There is a GM event going on in the Tutorial right now. Find one of four items randomly being added to rats and turn it in to the GM to get some Beef Braised Nest Drake Soup (20), Juice of Quellious (20) and 4 Black Sapphires. Black Sapphires sell for 140 plat per. The stack of soup is just shy of 20 plat.

brightweasel
Apr 19, 2006
Weasel that shines like the sun.
Oh man I am in on this so hard.

Name: Firebert, human wizard!

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001
I'm going to miss my 0.1 casting time Circlet of Shadow and my Jboots, but Xeudaria the DE Necro has been recreated.

Yep, I'm a guy playing a female char. Just like in original EQ1.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DeathTongue posted:

I'm going to miss my 0.1 casting time Circlet of Shadow and my Jboots, but Xeudaria the DE Necro has been recreated.

Yep, I'm a guy playing a female char. Just like in original EQ1.

AAs will replace both those, Innate Run 5, and Cover of Shadows, or something like that. Instant self invis with fixed duration. 10s reuse is the only downside compared to a CoS.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
Bought some station cash when the double points thing was going on, gonna transfer over my 75 monk and 75 shaman within a few days (I'm sure you need more).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Been having too much fun all weekend.

Besides when grinding AA in a group with other goons, when there's no group I can find, I've decided to explore old dungeons that have light blue mobs (so I get exp plus to see something new).

So far I've explored Greig's End, Veskar, and Acrylia Caverns. The first two were fun, but Acrylia is horrible. And some of the zones to go through to get there looked really...dumb. But I never played during Luclin, so at least I'm seeing why people didn't like it.

But yeah, even the lovely zone was still fun. Got lots more dungeons to explore :D

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Butt doctor forever in our hearts. Semper fudge :(

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Been having too much fun all weekend.

Besides when grinding AA in a group with other goons, when there's no group I can find, I've decided to explore old dungeons that have light blue mobs (so I get exp plus to see something new).

So far I've explored Greig's End, Veskar, and Acrylia Caverns. The first two were fun, but Acrylia is horrible. And some of the zones to go through to get there looked really...dumb. But I never played during Luclin, so at least I'm seeing why people didn't like it.

But yeah, even the lovely zone was still fun. Got lots more dungeons to explore :D

Groups start happening more in your mid 60's, but you also have to be willing to form a group. Dragon scale hills, is a pretty big mid 60's lower 80'zone, I think yesterday it had something like 95 people in it.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pon de Bundy posted:

Butt doctor forever in our hearts. Semper fudge :(

On the plus side, either that gets our guild name slapped down or we're going to be fine forever. And if the guild name has to go, it seems like butt doctor ban is by far the most epic way to lose it :v:

Dragonscale is super full of people right now because there's a huuuuuge raid that requires that many people DPSing the robot to finish. It's still the most popular zone for those levels, but not usually nearly that full

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Had 1200 station cash from something or other and remembered one of my accounts. Made a DE Magician, will look for an invite later.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
oh god butt doctor ban? what did i miss..

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Epicness. He was trolling general as usual with pro-Kony trolls, GM jumped on him in like 10 mins and asked why he was inciting hatred or something. Butt Dr told the GM he was just pointing out children make the best soldiers because they're cheaper to feed and direct, GM asked him why he shouldn't just be banned since he was only level 4 and clearly not playing.

Butt Dr told him "I'll start playing when you make the game enjoyable rather than a virtual slavery simulator" and GM told him if he ever gets reported again, he's permabanned, so butt dr decided he had no reason to log in if he couldn't troll and rode off into the sunset :(

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Kithyen posted:

Oh neat so if they don't start supporting my chipset soon I'll lose whatever's in my last two slots :suicide: Hope there's nothing important there.

Don't stress yourself over this issue. Those items don't get mailed back to you unless you log in as a F2P account, so they are 100% safe if you aren't able to get in the game.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Im having a great time with this. My brother and I, and one of our close friends, rolled up a brand new set of newbs on our old accounts. We were going to play for free but all of us took advantage of the Station Cash sale on Friday (double staton cash for same money) and we all subbed for the $8 it ended up costing us.

First impression was that it was very clunky. But you get used to it. We played the tutorial and it pretty much showed us how to play again without asking someone a thousand questions.

Its definitely got its hooks still. And the game has held up well for being a 13 yr old game. We got to lv 46 last night using the hot zones and Paludual Caverns which still has an amazing ZEM. The mercs really work well. The healers even rezz you which is awesome. They basically changed the entire game IMO. In our group of 3 RL players, a Pally, Druid, Wizard, we got a Healer, Rogue and Wizard mercs and its a well balanced group.

We probably wont last that long in the game, but its nice to see the zones again and do a bit of reminiscing of old times.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

lemonslol posted:

Groups start happening more in your mid 60's, but you also have to be willing to form a group. Dragon scale hills, is a pretty big mid 60's lower 80'zone, I think yesterday it had something like 95 people in it.

Yeah, I went there yesterday on someone's recommendation (probably yours!), and it wasn't the place for me. There were tons of people there, but they were all 95. There was maybe 5-10 people who weren't 95, and half of those were /anon, so who knows what level they were. The rest didn't respond to LFG requests, and everything else around me was red and scowling, so I moved on.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been too big a fan of pugs, even though EQ pugs generally aren't relatable to WoW pugs or whatever. I prefer guild groups, and failing that, molo'ing and exploring.

I'm not bitching about not finding a group, I just have a lot more fun dungeon crawling. And I'm not concerned with power-leveling my way through levels/AA. I actually like going to an old dungeon with light blues that I can handle pretty safely and seeing new dungeons. Not as big a fan of outdoor zones.

EQ is just a game where I like to take my time, be picky if I want to be. I'm not in a rush (but I'll always join someone for Hole or Ben's groups!)

Peechka posted:

We played the tutorial and it pretty much showed us how to play again without asking someone a thousand questions.

I still knew the basics of the game fine and how to play, and still had a thousand questions. As you keep going, there's just always tons and tons of new and changed things. Gear is pretty crazy now, tons and tons of new stats. Like a billion of AAs to sift through. Figuring out how things like the guild hall teleporter works, the NPCs that bind / corpse summon, where to find parcels, learning about new items, learning about some new quests. Then there's new stuff coming up ahead, like missions and what not that I don't really know anything about yet. People in the guild are awesome to help explain though, so thanks for putting with all my questions.

Some of the new stuff is really awesome though - like the maps, the zone guide, being to "find" people in a zone with a little trail, and the zone connection thing, hell yes.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I started and stopped playing EQ about 2 years ago when my Magician hit the early 70's, and I couldn't get a single updated spell to actually kill anything anymore. The reason was the only spells they had on the market were about 300x the amount of plat I had, and when I tried to grind up the crafting to make the spells I realized it was a horrible system.

They also did not have dps mercs at the time. My only choices were tank and cleric mercs. So, with the new dps mercs, and it being semi free, I'll probably be getting back into this sometime this week.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Bahanahab posted:

I started and stopped playing EQ about 2 years ago when my Magician hit the early 70's, and I couldn't get a single updated spell to actually kill anything anymore. The reason was the only spells they had on the market were about 300x the amount of plat I had, and when I tried to grind up the crafting to make the spells I realized it was a horrible system.

They also did not have dps mercs at the time. My only choices were tank and cleric mercs. So, with the new dps mercs, and it being semi free, I'll probably be getting back into this sometime this week.

They also just put every spell up to level 85 (rank 1 for the ranked ones) on the vendors in PoK. They can get slightly expensive, but it's ten times cheaper than what they used to be on the bazaar.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Enjoying life on the Zek server again, though it's pretty deserted like you'd expect. The people who were still active say free-to-play has quadrupled the number of people around, though.

Anyone else playing on it right now? We've got a bunch of characters in the 60-75 range right now, mostly geared with a fair amount of AA's.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
A little tip we figured out today for those of you with slow loading times. Setting your memory usage to the lowest setting in the advanced graphics settings will speed up your zoning times massively.

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009
On Luclin as Daedalor. For goony verification.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Man im starting to get bored of grinding AA, but I have to do it before the bonus EXP goes away.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Yay, after an hour of searching through old emails, I finally found the last 4 from my CC to recover my old account. Somehow I didn't know the answer to my security question "Where were you born"

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
The worst part of EQ for me is getting relevant information. So much stuff I look up is circa 2004 and I have no idea whats changed. We seem to have some pretty pro monks here, so I had some monk questions. I'm level 70 with ~450aa.

1) Monk forums said to pretty much ignore enhanced aggression and planar power until you have thousands of aa. Why is that? Is it something that's obsolete until way later on, or what? I could see with gear way back when, having stuff at the attack cap was probably rare, but I think every piece of gear I have now has between 10-40attack on it, so that cap is definitely in play.

2) Kick mastery? The two posts I read on it said they only added 10 damage per rank to each base kick. that doesn't seem too hot right now. Am I wrong and is it something that should be prioritized?

3) Obsolete AA? I also read strikethrough can reach 100% really easily with only 6 ranks in it, VOA gear, and a few ranks of other aa. On that note, what about slippery attacks? It seems like if strikethrough is easily maxed, slippery attacks would also be pretty useless.

4) Whats a good level to leave crippling strike at? Damage doesnt seem like a big deal at all considering when you would want to use it, so does snare max out at a certain point? At rank one it seems pretty weak and they can still flee pretty quickly

5) Combat stability/agility? I was maxing it out as I leveled, but again, the monk forums made it sound like after rank 15 or so the returns arent worthwhile till way later.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 20, 2012

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

JakeP posted:

Yay, after an hour of searching through old emails, I finally found the last 4 from my CC to recover my old account. Somehow I didn't know the answer to my security question "Where were you born"

That makes me wonder if there is any way whatsoever to find my old account from when I was 15. The only problem is that it was under my mothers credit card. Has anyone had any luck with this kind of thing?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ckwiesr posted:

That makes me wonder if there is any way whatsoever to find my old account from when I was 15. The only problem is that it was under my mothers credit card. Has anyone had any luck with this kind of thing?

How long ago were you 15? My account was last active in 2004, and I happened to have an old invoice in my email with my last 4 digits. They don't require last 4 though if you can answer enough other questions. If I knew the security question answer I wouldn't have needed the last 4.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Tolain posted:

The worst part of EQ for me is getting relevant information. So much stuff I look up is circa 2004 and I have no idea whats changed. We seem to have some pretty pro monks here, so I had some monk questions. I'm level 70 with ~450aa.

1) Monk forums said to pretty much ignore enhanced aggression and planar power until you have thousands of aa. Why is that? Is it something that's obsolete until way later on, or what? I could see with gear way back when, having stuff at the attack cap was probably rare, but I think every piece of gear I have now has between 10-40attack on it, so that cap is definitely in play.

2) Kick mastery? The two posts I read on it said they only added 10 damage per rank to each base kick. that doesn't seem too hot right now. Am I wrong and is it something that should be prioritized?

3) Obsolete AA? I also read strikethrough can reach 100% really easily with only 6 ranks in it, VOA gear, and a few ranks of other aa. On that note, what about slippery attacks? It seems like if strikethrough is easily maxed, slippery attacks would also be pretty useless.

4) Whats a good level to leave crippling strike at? Damage doesnt seem like a big deal at all considering when you would want to use it, so does snare max out at a certain point? At rank one it seems pretty weak and they can still flee pretty quickly

5) Combat stability/agility? I was maxing it out as I leveled, but again, the monk forums made it sound like after rank 15 or so the returns arent worthwhile till way later.

I'm not a monk, but I can comment on some of these, at least.

1) Enhanced Aggression is lovely as gently caress; it gives you like 5atk cap increase from worn items per rank, and it costs like 5/rank and then goes up in cost. Terrible investment. Planar Power is slightly better, but when you hit 80, HoT gear will have a lot of heroic stats, so the gains will be minimal. It's 5/rank all the way up to max.

2) Kick Mastery (as I understand it) adds 10 BASE damage to kicks, which is very good. It's like having 10 more weapon damage on your weapon, but for kicks.

3-4) Don't have info, really couldn't tell ya.

5) The returns diminish as you go up in ranks, BUT it is absolutely worth it to max out while your AA count is low, so that you can take as much advantage of the AA bonus to buy out the expensive, not very exciting passives as possible. It's a bit of a slog to max out, but you'll be glad you did.

zancii
Sep 16, 2011
I'm giving this another whirl. I'm dual-boxxing a monk/bard (Zancii/Tess) combo on Luclin.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So rangers are pretty soloable and useful these days? I thought I remembered them always being close to worthless. Kinda interested in checking one out. I'm between Ranger, Necro and Bard, but it seems like all goons are probably playing Bard these days.

drat you amazing OP in getting me to resub for nostalgia's sake!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I may jump in on this just to powerlevel something and revisit all the old zones from when I actually played this game in earnest. How high would I and my merc have to be to duo Velious raid content?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is there a server with a large Asian population? As in, people in Asia (because I live there)? I started this up last night, tried three different servers. Every single one had lag. The kind of lag where I cast my spell and there's the...what's happening moment, followed by you being dead. I played Mith Marr back in the day and still have my old necro, but there's no way in hell I could kill anything with this lag.

Is it also possible it could be my router? I don't know how they work with EQ or anything, as back then I was on 56k and in America.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Republicans posted:

I may jump in on this just to powerlevel something and revisit all the old zones from when I actually played this game in earnest. How high would I and my merc have to be to duo Velious raid content?

Mercs can't enter raids

cryptoclastic posted:

Is there a server with a large Asian population? As in, people in Asia (because I live there)? I started this up last night, tried three different servers. Every single one had lag. The kind of lag where I cast my spell and there's the...what's happening moment, followed by you being dead. I played Mith Marr back in the day and still have my old necro, but there's no way in hell I could kill anything with this lag.

Is it also possible it could be my router? I don't know how they work with EQ or anything, as back then I was on 56k and in America.
Try Antonius Bayle, it's the euro server, and is prob less laggy than a US one? But I had 3 japanese guys in my guild on Tunare and they didn't complain so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Republicans posted:

Ignore Lemonslol; You could likely solo Velious raid content at 65, with a full set of defiant and some AA's. The higher, the easier it will be. Also, it may depend on your class some. What he was referring to is later raids, that are instances. Mercs can't enter those places, but anything up until PoTime, you should be all set.