Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

xZAOx posted:

Are the anniversary quests always up?

Answering myself! I searched teh entarwebs, found out "no". Apparently they're just up during anniversary times, then they all go away (and I'm assuming the Fabled mobs also go away). Something I read said the old ones will be up for a month (so until April 16th), the latest one will be up for a couple of weeks past that.

So during this time, what should be a "hit list" of things to accomplish for us returning players?

-"Pet" Weapon from Fabled monster for your class (several of us have, was a lot of talk in /gu about it yesterday)
-Sixth anniversary collection quest? (10-charge item of bonus exp)
-Ninth anniversary collection quest? (unlimited charges of PoK portal, but a 20-hour reuse timer, kinda bleh)
-Tenth anniversary quests (someone mentioned earlier - each quest gives you several things: "fun" clickies, exp, gold, and an experience potion, 16 quests you can do)

I searched and that's what I came up with. Anything else? It's surprising with how good and awesome the OP is, that there's STILL so much more to learn about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
What is the "Pet" weapon from a fabled monster? Sorry that's the second time I've seen that mentioned and not sure what it means.

edit: Nevermind just searching that in google was enough to get the info.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 22, 2012

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I found the Facebook group for our server and found this cutie dark elf cleric.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

My teeth brings all the boys to the PoK.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Christ that is horrifying. Why would you not just knock them out with a hammer. At least she wouldn't mangle dicks without those chainsaws.

Also I've talked a few times with people about replacing pieces of UIs, particularly the lovely WoW icons that come with Vert, but never posted how to do it, so here's the link for people who care! http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20284

I used that to swap my spell icons and buffs to Sparxx found here: http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=4620

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 22, 2012

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ckwiesr posted:

See the parcel dude. It's in the new patch notes.

I guess I should have clarified...I know they mail you the stuff, but how long does it sit there? I legitimately have all bag slots filled in the bank and on my characters, would take a ton of housekeeping to make room.

Although being able to click items from bags is nice, since I always had one slot open for a clicky (PvP server, gotta have something ready...)

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
The bro I just talked to at SoE customer support was ridiculously helpful. So for anyone else wondering if you can recover an account that you can't remember anything about it can be done! I had a CompuServe e-mail account apparently when I last played.

Retrievil
Dec 11, 2004

Lionbacker

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Christ that is horrifying. Why would you not just knock them out with a hammer. At least she wouldn't mangle dicks without those chainsaws.

Also I've talked a few times with people about replacing pieces of UIs, particularly the lovely WoW icons that come with Vert, but never posted how to do it, so here's the link for people who care! http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20284

I used that to swap my spell icons and buffs to Sparxx found here: http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=4620

I think the best icons are the original eq ones. If you just delete the icon files from the vert ui directory, it will use the original. I highly reccomend vert. Savok has kept it updated one the day of every patch for almost 10 yesrs now.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

mythadile posted:

The bro I just talked to at SoE customer support was ridiculously helpful. So for anyone else wondering if you can recover an account that you can't remember anything about it can be done! I had a CompuServe e-mail account apparently when I last played.

What information did you need?

All I remember is the account name and possibly an email that I no longer have access too..

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Here's my fully customized Vert UI for the people in-game who wanted it and anyone else. It's mostly stock Vert at 1680x1050, replaced spells and buffs with SparxxUI's and icons are default across the board
http://www.mediafire.com/?zpuxcg393dnkhnn

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 22, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Retrievil posted:

I think the best icons are the original eq ones. If you just delete the icon files from the vert ui directory, it will use the original. I highly reccomend vert. Savok has kept it updated one the day of every patch for almost 10 yesrs now.

I can't ever see myself using anything else now. Once I replaced the pieces I had issues with, I've never been happier with a UI

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

diapermeat posted:

What information did you need?

All I remember is the account name and possibly an email that I no longer have access too..

If you remember those you should be good. They might ask you your original billing zip code / DOB basic stuff as well.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

You can also glitch the CPU fight. Tank merc + cleric merc, have tank hit CPU, neither of you PCs do anything. Seriously, sit there and watch the mercs solo it. The adds don't aggro mercs, so they can kill CPU alone. It's hilariously broken

Thanks, that trivialized that event. Now to farm me some more augs.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

Thanks, that trivialized that event. Now to farm me some more augs.

No prob, Usli and I wiped a few times too before he figured that out. Augs and rewards own so it's worth doing. 95% of the zone also doesn't SI so you can finish in like 30 mins

Edit - slight changes to UI based on Zliz recommendations - now features way smaller merc window and more compact buff window. Screenshot and DL link below

http://i.imgur.com/g8Z52.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?j8kf8l0o5eavj08

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 22, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks to Kodaji and his 80 toons, and those who came for PoJ fun yesterday. Got my 1.5 today!

2.0 Will be in a couple of weeks when I get some more levels, and get some anniversary stuff done while I can :)

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
why did they decide to give bonus xp and quests when it starts to get really nice out damnit.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
I am ready to be super loving addicted to this game again.

Who do I message in game to get a ginvite?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Hoohah posted:

I am ready to be super loving addicted to this game again.

Who do I message in game to get a ginvite?

Join the channel in the OP.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Alternatively type out "/who all fearboners" and /t name give me an invite you uglyfat.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Hey Pilsner, as a newly returned player, I've been loving the game and loving your OP. Given how drat large the game is though, there's still be a lot more to keep finding out. Would you care to add some of this stuff to the OP? Instead of just asking you to do work, I typed it up if you want to use it.

I don't know if the thread is too long to copy/paste it, but I guess you could always link to another post if you wanted.

Parcels
If you had an existing account and rejoin as a Free-to-play account, you'll notice you only have 4 or 6 inventory slots now, instead of 8+ that you may have had. To get bags / items that may have been in those slots, when in Plane of Knowledge, hit your "Find" button (on the map screen is one spot if you can't find it), and sort the left column. Find the guy labeled "Parcels", and you'll get a magical glowing path to take you right to him. There's also a Parcels person in our guild hall (go to PoK, Guild Lobby, go to the north wall, and pick the door on the north west).

Legends of Norrath (LoN)
LoN was SoE's attempt at a card game. If you're not interested in playing it, you should still check it out once to see what free things you may have in it. Most people should have at least 50 free "packs" of cards, and each pack may have a loot card in it. The loot card can be anything from "fun" items like illusions, to decoration items, to experience potions, to mounts, and other things.

To use it, hit the big rear end EQ button in-game, and then hit "Legends of Norrath". Hit "Play". At the bottom, you'll see "Collection". There's a drop-down menu at the top - select "Redeemable Items". The first thing you see should be your packs of cards, and it'll say "50" under it. Right click and pick "redeem". Go through the screens. If you're not sure what pack to pick, you can see here what loot cards are in each type of pack to see if you want to stack one over the over (http://legendsofnorrath.station.sony.com/ - card sets on the left).

Yes, you have to go through this horrible UI for every pack. Redeem all your packs first. Then use the left/right arrows until you see your packs, right click, and select "Open X packs". At least you can batch open them.

After they're all opened, again put the menu to "Redeemable Items". When you find something you want, right click again and tell it "Redeem". Now it's in your "/claim" window, so type "/claim". You may need to hit the "Refresh" button. Then you got your free poo poo!

Disciplines
Even if you've played before, you may find all your melee disciplines gone. Hit Alt+C to bring up your Combat Abilites as they seem to be called now, and hit the little "S". That will show you what discs you have, and you can make hotkeys as you want.

To buy your new ones (or rebuy your old ones that have disappeared for some drat reason), open your Find window again in PoK, and go to "Vivian the True". She'll be upstairs in the library. Hail her, and she will give you a quest to go to your disciplines vendor, or you can just run around and find it yourself.

As a new played I found them overwhelming, but what seemed to work out best was sorting by cost, and buying the cheapest ones until I got the ones of my level (they get pretty expensive). Some will be out of order though, so you may want to check a few ahead (just right click to see what level it's for).

Changes to gear
Gear now has a "required" and "recommended" level. If you're under the recommended level (listed on item details), the item will not be at it's full power. Click the "Modified" button on the item details to toggle between it's "full" power, and it's scaled down stats for your level.

Ever see stats with "+X" to the side? Like "Strength: 20 +3". The +3 is "heroic stats", and allows you to go over your stat cap. If you buy defiant gear, you'll probably notice you're capped on drat near everything really easier. So heroic stats, and the long list of mods on the right side, are what's important these days.

Zone Guide and other new travel
Don't know where to go, or how to get there? When you bring up the map, hit the Zone Guide button. You can sort by name (but remember some zones have multiple names - like The Hole / Ruins of Old Paineel), hit Set End, then Activate. That'll give you a window with a list of zones to travel through. You can also use it as a zone browser if you want to find new zones in a level range. It's not perfect though, but it's generally very useful.

You can also go to the Guild Lobby, and see the gnome teleportation guy. He sells items - read the name to get an idea of where it'll send you. After you buy it, give it back to him, and step on the pedastal next to him. It'll remain active for a little while for anyone else. Sometimes going through him is much quicker than what the Zone Guide will tell you, so learn where he can toss you.

You can also use the Priest of Discord to get to PoK quickly any time. Find one and tell him "wish to go". He'll send you to Dranik's Scar (Omens of War expansion I think?). Once there, turn around and find another Priest of Discord. Tell him "go home", and boom, you're in PoK in front of the library.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

xZAOx posted:

awesome stuff

This is great. I didn't know about half of this. Definitely going to see about finding my old bags now, and see what kinds of cards or whatever I have. And the new systems of travel seem cool too.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Finished my Ragebringer (Rogue 1.0) tonight! Big thanks to Mazik and Kodaji for helping out with some serious steps.

I started my 1.5 about 20 minutes later, and leveling the tradeskills is going to be a bit of pain...biggest being poison making it would seem.

To those of you people grinding in The Hole, if you can please save me oxides and charcoal you get from drops it'd be hugely helpful. Just /t Dakkith if you've got some saved up. Thanks!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

You guys think with 200 AA I could unlock at 70 and just grind to 80, with like 80:20 exp:AA? I'm going on 9 days of being level 70 in the hole, and it's starting to get boring.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

9 days of grinding for 200aa? That sounds boring and tedious as poo poo. Go loving level. As much as the exp sweet spots get talked up, they're not a big deal and once someplace becomes boring, move on.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, no matter how nice the AA spot is, if you become miserably bored it isn't worth it. You might be weaker in the short term at higher levels, but the AA bonus will take care of you at any level really. Plus you have the bonus of the easily gotten gear from HoT and the like, always awesome.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

As long as you're not a tank you're fine with that level. I still don't get the Hole love, I never got great xp there compared to going to Fire later and plowing

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Just installed this again for nostalgia sake. Is there any way to enable the old-rear end midi music from 1999?

Entreri fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 23, 2012

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Entreri posted:

Just installed this again for nostalgia sake. Is there any way to enable the old-rear end midi music from 1999?

Not sure, but i'm a nerd and made a Grooveshark playlist of a ton of it:

http://grooveshark.com/playlist/Eq/63037106

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I rolled a new druid this morning...am i confused or did the tutorial zone get expanded?

More to do. More quests. More NPCs.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

gepgepgep posted:

Finished my Ragebringer (Rogue 1.0) tonight! Big thanks to Mazik and Kodaji for helping out with some serious steps.

I started my 1.5 about 20 minutes later, and leveling the tradeskills is going to be a bit of pain...biggest being poison making it would seem.

To those of you people grinding in The Hole, if you can please save me oxides and charcoal you get from drops it'd be hugely helpful. Just /t Dakkith if you've got some saved up. Thanks!

Grats man! Granted, Ragebringer was often known as "Freebringer", as the easiest 1.0 epic in the game, lol. But it's a sweet weapon for it's time.

I'm curious, what kinda tradeskills do you need? I'm wondering if lots of classes got the shaft on that for their 1.5 and 2.0. Mine requires like 130 in Tailoring (each failure costs 1kpp), around 170 in Pottery (each failure requires more Iron Oxide and Permafrost Crystals farming), and I think ~150 in Baking (at least it's easy - the no drop pieces you have to farm up don't get lost, but the final item has several subcombines from smithing and stuff too).

Starting at 65 with 12 AA and bazaar gear, even molo'ing in the hole was tough for me. I could handle 2 mobs at a time at best. Now level 68 with 125 AA, epic 1.5, and now that I have my drat discs again, I can finally solo light blues with little downtime!

lemonslol posted:

You guys think with 200 AA I could unlock at 70 and just grind to 80, with like 80:20 exp:AA? I'm going on 9 days of being level 70 in the hole, and it's starting to get boring.

I read lots of guides / opinions about it, and overall, ignoring that each class has different specifics, people seem to recommend around (just averaging) 65/250, 70/600, 75/900, 80/1k, 85/1500, 90/2000, 95/2500.

And lots of people keep talking about how the more you grind out at 70/71 the better, usually citing the hole. At 68 mobs in Greig's End are still light blue and die quickly honestly. The loot isn't as good, but I'd recommend at least checking it out if you're bored of The Hole.

But as others said - the most important thing is do what you find is fun. Don't burn out on one thing. The game has a lot to offer. If you don't want to lose The Hole exp, go do some anniversary quests (did the sixth one last night, 10 charges of double exp potions, took like 3 hours), or work on your 1.5/2.0 if you don't have it yet, find an aug/clicky to farm up, something like that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

xZAOx posted:

Grats man! Granted, Ragebringer was often known as "Freebringer", as the easiest 1.0 epic in the game, lol. But it's a sweet weapon for it's time.

Man, when I played again for a bit last year (or was it the year before?), I remember how excited I was to get my Bard's 1.0. Sure, the defiant armor I bought from the Bazaar for 200pp had better instrument modifiers than it did, and the Defiant weapons had better stats, but me from 1999 was still inside, and giggling with glee at the musical notes. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The337th posted:

Yeah, no matter how nice the AA spot is, if you become miserably bored it isn't worth it. You might be weaker in the short term at higher levels, but the AA bonus will take care of you at any level really. Plus you have the bonus of the easily gotten gear from HoT and the like, always awesome.

Agreed. For reference, my AA per hour peaked at lvl 80 and actually stayed pretty much constant from there on - about 15 AA per hour (or per lesson). In The Hole, my maximum was around 9-10 per hour, even at lvl 70. Just get the basic necessities and move on, you'll have more fun.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Agreed. For reference, my AA per hour peaked at lvl 80 and actually stayed pretty much constant from there on - about 15 AA per hour (or per lesson). In The Hole, my maximum was around 9-10 per hour, even at lvl 70. Just get the basic necessities and move on, you'll have more fun.

Im getting with the 6th aniversary potion + lesson, about 14.5 AA an hour. Or 7.5 AA in 30 minutes. Which is why I don't want to leave for someplace that gives me much less even though if i'm super fed up with the hole. I know i'm not going to play some other game,so I am not scared of getting bored and quitting, but I would like to see some HoT content. Maybe I should play my low level berserker with some of the low level goons.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
On my 65 monk, I pop Lesson then pull between 6 and 8 mobs and Riposte Disc / AOE them down.

Then I log out. Disciplines and AA abilities refresh while you're logged out, but Lesson does not wear out.

It lets me get about 22-25 AA's per Lesson and I only wind up playing about 40 minutes of actual time (when you factor in the logging in and logging out).

The downside is that I'll have to level up soon since I don't have many other good spots to put his points :(

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The downside is that I'll have to level up soon since I don't have many other good spots to put his points :(

That's why I ended up pushing on up some leveling at around 100 AA. Several of the AA I wanted were level restricted. From what everyone said, at 70 the AA exp would be better since I could kill faster thanks to the next tier of defiant gear, better AA and discs, and I can get my epic 2.0.

Is there an actual Riposte Disc? Or do you mean Whirlwind? And how are you AOE'ing them down? That one AA?

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

lemonslol posted:

Im getting with the 6th aniversary potion + lesson, about 14.5 AA an hour. Or 7.5 AA in 30 minutes.

At level 75/76 with the monk pet weapon, mostly lobby buffed I'm getting 12-14aa per lesson/potion in paw. The mobs are so damned easy it hurts.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I still have yet to decide what main class I want to end up playing =\. I've looked at some nice weapons and started liking the hand to hand stuff but I'm not fond of monks really and I don't want to play beastlord again. I've considered making a warrior or a rogue though since they seem like eventually they will have some neat gear and loot. I've also considered making an enchanter just to gently caress around with illusions.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

xZAOx posted:

That's why I ended up pushing on up some leveling at around 100 AA. Several of the AA I wanted were level restricted. From what everyone said, at 70 the AA exp would be better since I could kill faster thanks to the next tier of defiant gear, better AA and discs, and I can get my epic 2.0.

Is there an actual Riposte Disc? Or do you mean Whirlwind? And how are you AOE'ing them down? That one AA?
You got it - Whirlwind is the discipline, and Destructive Fury is the AA.

I start by popping Whirlwind and then once it's down, I pop Innerflame and Destructive Fury.

I usually end the fight around 30% health or so. I Unsuspend my merc to heal me as I log out, and then suspend it when I log back in.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Just so you guys know, 20aa lessons are not hard to pull off in the group game at 90-95. For the past week I've been getting 10-30aa a night dicking around with anniversary content and trying to speed run any tasks with as few kills as possible.

I'm also way past the sub-2500aa exp boost that you guys are all getting. So once again, if you get bored somewhere, move the gently caress on. AA is never hard to get and you're not gimping yourself permanently in any way by leveling instead of grinding out lovely AA at lower levels.

Except for tanks, every class can get by in groups just fine by focusing on leveling and a few important AAs. Because no one is going to check your AA or gear status to tell if you're actually crap, as long as you don't act like an idiot and have a clue on what to do in group.

As for tanks, I'm sorry.

Oh, and if you ever meet anyone who's buying AAs by expansion order, boot them from whatever you can or run. They are god-tier stupid and will be terrible at everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucificate
Jan 4, 2005
Wish I was playing on Luclin with the rest of you, but I am still loving the game on my latest return.

With my SK on FV I have now gotten up to 2800 AA at level 85. I don't even play much - they just fly in. I have plenty of exp potions and never exp without lesson or a potion up. With the FV exp bonus and a double exp boost I am raking in about 90/hour right now in Thalassius. its nice to max out expensive lines in one session.

Have all passive offensive and defensive AA maxed out for level plus several clickies and fun AAs. Gonna wrap up spell/dot crits and pet bonuses and go ahead to 90 (Lucid, some new augs, and darkdream doomhammer waiting!). Trying to get all I can out of Thalassius while the gettin's good before learning a new, probably worse, swarm spot.

Been my longest stint with EQ since I first started playing on release day in '99.