Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
So I have this from when I played EQ2 (I think they give you 5 a month or something):

What's a good booster pack to choose for EQ1 rewards? I know there's a site that lists them all, but any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Jotto posted:

Legends of norrath official site lists all the loots for each "expansion" of cards. I would really recommend looking through it as I can't remember what ones are good at the moment. Whatever expansion gives you kiss of erollsi or whatever maybe one of the better ones.

My names Darallan on Fippy.

edit:

Also worth noting that the free choose a packs you get, all give you non-tradable cards, while normal LoN packs let you trade the cards you get from them.

Ya I knew that from EQ2. I was more just asking what's some cool loot I can get myself, not what's some sweet loot I can sell. I'll just have to poke through the website sometime later.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Didn't do too bad. Was trying to get a spider mount.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Just want to say I've been having a blast playing this. There's a decent amount of grouping going on most nights at all level ranges. Having 2-4 people + mercs makes for amazing exp and is extremely fun. Spent the last two nights grinding AA exp at 65.

I'm Xasraik in game (65 Beastlord). If you're around my level and want to grind AA or EXP I'll be with Zorl (65 Rogue) grinding AAs in BoT tonight. Around 6-7 PM PST for a few hours.

With 3 people and 3 mercs it's 10-12% AA a kill at 65. Most kills take 15-30 seconds with constant pulls.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Cynode posted:

Anyone who plays a mage know of a good/decent leveling route from the late 50's and up? I decided to 3 box 3 mages for fun but pulling/snaring seem to be at a little of a loss. I'm using a tank and 2 healer mages plus 3 air pets. thanks!

50-60 - PoD / PoI / Blackfeather Roost
60-65 - BoT
65 (grind AA) - BoT
65-70 - C1 PoF
70 (grind AA) - PoF C1/C2
70-75 - C2 PoF
75 (grind AA) - PoF C2

Alternates. The Hole / Infected Paw / Various other zones.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

xZAOx posted:

I think a lot of us are still in what I call the "honeymoon" phase. Early part of EQ has been made super easy, lots of gear for these levels looks insane compared to what we were used to back-in-the-day, and is easy to get, seeing lots of new content, etc.

Granted, that's not how we remember EQ at all. We remember gear being hard to come by (well, good gear), "big upgrades" would consist of going from a +3str piece of gear to +5str piece of gear, and it taking an hour to get even a blue bubble of exp after 51.

From what I understand, while gear upgrades aren't as tough as they used to be, the content does get tough again, and exp starts coming back in a lot, lot slower. I hope everyone sticks around, because that's the EQ I remember, and well....ya need a group for it!

Once you hit 50-60+ it starts to become very hard to exp on your own. Not to say it's impossible, but a purely solo player with one merc is going to have a hard time getting very far past 60-70. It will also be relatively painfully slow. The good news is on Luclin there are a lot active players all over the board, so now's the time to get in and catch up.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Bahanahab posted:

What's the deal with enchanters now? From what people are saying in general chat, they're pretty much a useless spot. When I asked why they said "DPS is king now, and since single pulling is so easy CC isn't really needed anymore."

Overall, do enchanters really have a spot at the higher end, or have they fallen way down on the needed scale? Last time I played if you didn't have an enchanter you were in the process of looking for one due to how much they made a difference.

As far as I've heard/read enchanters are in a really weird spot where you only need them for high-high-high-end raiding. And other than that they're a wasted spot. Something to do with AoE stunning mobs in some of the top tier raid zones.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Stack of Scabs posted:

No loving way someone is that stupid. If you aren't even trying to go for the easy rear end anniversary augs, which are better than most augs from actual content, then just uninstall. Also, if you aren't stacking heroics on said augs then definitely uninstall.

I was the one that said this particular comment about why would someone farm that aug , and I stand by my point. The person was level 70 and spent self claimed half a day farming an aug that had 3 mana regen and 90 mana on it. When at level 80 you can get gear off the bazaar that has 800+ mana 29+ mana regen on it for 100p-5kp a piece.

Having raided in EQ in the past myself, augs were something you farm very late game once you've filled out most of your slots with gear you won't be replacing anytime soon. This may have changed recently, but that's just my experience and why I thought it was/is ridiculous that someone would spend that amount of time farming a single aug at level 70.

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

That's not what I'm saying at all, and I don't think anyone else is either. The issue is that sitting naked for 65 levels while a tank merc does all the work for you is not teaching you how to play, most importantly the differences between WoW (zergrush poo poo) and EQ (fuckin chill and go slow). At 65 and 70, some new goons are running into a brick wall of :wtf: because of it, which is what we're talking about. The game's not rocket science, but it does have a lot of weird mechanics that don't show up in other MMOs

The problem here is that the high levels in the guild chat have screamed from day one to "just let your tank merc kill everything, don't bother getting any gear/spells/weapons just let your tank merc kill and do nothing". This happened since day one of the goon rush and my friend Zorl was basically trolled in gchat for asking for 300p to buy a new dagger. Then people get to 50-60 and have no weapons skills, no casting skills, and generally have no idea how to even remotely play their class in any way. Then the guild just grouped up and brute forced around a few zones pushing them even higher with no knowledge of the game.

Luckily myself and Zorl ignored this advice and it's probably why we're still at the "forefront" of the noobie goon rush. Having started the weekend it went free to play, and are level 75 with 350 AA's a piece and still moving forward relatively quickly. Then again Zorl raided with Pandemonium on Zek for years "back in the day" and I raided on and off with him during the same time, so we have a good base of knowledge already.

EDIT: I remember asking for a few plat to buy spells and was basically told "WHY WOULD YOU BUY SPELLS AT LEVEL 10 LOLOLOL UR DUM".

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Beo posted:

Any goons creeping on 80 should let me know I think I should be able to outfit quite a few people in t1 hot gear soon or at least fill a few slots.

I'd also like to do a dragons dragons dragons run for everyone over say 75 this weekend.

My beastlord should be 80+ by this weekend. Working on defensive AAs right now though. Only 100-150 more to get then I'm going to unlock. Xasraik in game. Would appreciate any free gear!

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Just wanted to chime in to say that they're are still ALOT of people in the "goon guild". I missed the drama so can't comment on it.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Sgt Froggy posted:

Now I am torn. I played the Free warrior for a few hours today. I can't believe how much I have forgotten and just how enjoyable and low stress it really was.

Back to my query however, with long term play in mind, would a shammy or bard be my best bet? I remember the fun bard twists and pulling used to be on small scale (see ldon) but I then remember how boring raids were for them. I then recall just how manditory a raid shaman was and how powerful.

From the leveling standpoint am I right to think both will power through pretty fast with the "MOLO" idea?

Just wondering before I pull the trigger for paying and start really levelling up :)

I'm not saying "Don't pick bard" and I'm not implying that half the bards in the guild will be playing "long term", but I will say that we have a metric fuckton of bards in the guild. Both boxed and mained. At one point over last weekend I think we had 10+ bards online at one time.

The problem with both bard and shaman is they are both VERY popular box classes, and since boxing gets you an extra free merc these days.... Lots of people box.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Dizz posted:

Do I need hand to hand weapons in order to train said skill? Using bare fists hasn't given me any skillups since I started and was skill 17 at level 40. I just invested about 70+ skill points into training it and I'm still not getting any skills.

What class are you playing? Monk? You shouldn't have to do anything other than hit mobs to get skill ups. I know on my BST I got skill ups just fine when I wasn't using a weapon.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Xarthos posted:

So I had 3 accounts back in the day. I can't seem to login to any of them. I went through the password and username recovery system and it see all of them but they don't work. I've already submitted a ticket about this but I am curious if anyone can tell me what is going on.

Due to Sony getting hacked if you fail more than 6-12 logins in a 24 hour period you will get locked out completely from their website for 24 hours. It also doesn't give you an sort of error message explaining what is going on.

Also you can only recover one account per IP address per day.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Sgt Froggy posted:

Thats very interesting. I got two of three restored before I got the 24 message. Wonder if I was just fortune or faulty memory.

Well when I was trying to find an account with vet rewards, I was only able to recover one. However my friend was able to do 3 or 4 before he was locked. Maybe I just suck, or you guys got lucky, or it's time based. No idea. All I know is that it's extremely ridiculous.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Flarestar posted:

Some of you guys that are AFK grinding via MQ2 bot scripts might want to be a bit more circumspect about where you do it. As long as you're not using the active hacks you're probably safe from getting detected by anything automated, but it's really, really obvious to other players when someone's botting, and when you're one of the first things I see upon entering a hot zone, that's pretty likely to get you reported.

Can I ask who you think is doing this you don't have to call anyone out by name obviously? If you think it's Xasraik / Zorlin / Nomi we're not nor ever have been botting. Might not be us that you're talking about, but if it is you don't have to worry because we're not.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Please just make it something short, not "over the top" gimmicky, and not something that is going to be banned again.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I've found the best way to spend AA's is to get about 15 unspent. Then check "only show AA's I can buy" or whatever the button is, and just look through them all.

It's fairly obvious what AA's are going to be good and which are going to be bad.

Decent AA's in the general tab:
-Innate Run Speed
-Combat Agility / Combat Stability (Definitely get ranks 1-3 of both as these give the most substantial bonus.) (Ranks 4-8 are 1% per, 9+ are presumably less. (to the best of my knowledge))
-Natural Durability
-Mystical Attuning (can be good for classes with lots of self buffs and clickies don't grab this first by any means)

After the general tab just think to yourself. Do I do X alot? Does this AA increase X? So for pets, you want to grab pet crit, pet flurry, ect. If you have your pet tank, grab pet defensive AA's. The Archetype / Class should be fairly easy to figure out.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 10, 2012

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Unfortunately it's going to be extremely hard to find anything like that. You're just going to have to make your own judgement calls, or ask about individual AA's on a case by case basis. This isn't like WoW or any other huge game where you can easily find a guide that tells you exactly what to buy at what levels for an ideal build. The good news is that if you buy a lovely AA it's not really the end of the world and you can just grind out a few more and not worry about it.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Have you guys never played an MMO before? Almost all MMO patch days are like this. It's pretty much industry standard that patch days are days not to play. And then if something major goes wrong with the patch as happened here it normally takes a few days for it to resolve itself.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Just because the majority of the industry sucks dick at releasing software, doesn't mean it should be acceptable as a level of service.

FWIW, last time I played WoW heavily (late Lich King and first tier of Cataclysm), while patch days were long, I don't recall them way over-extending past projected downtime hours typically, and definitely not issues of "patch out! oh god, bugs everywhere! emergency downtime! oh nevermind, patch tomorrow! patching done! oh god bugs everywhere still!".

WoW was/is notorious for terrible patch days. I'm not saying that it should be acceptable for poo poo like this to happen, but it's funny to see patches go smoothly 9/10 times, and that 10th time where something does go wrong all the RAAAAAAAAAAGE that ensues.

poo poo happens, put your mouse and keyboard down for a few hours and come back. The worlds not out to get you.

EDIT: I also think you massively underestimate the complexity of PATCHING a game. That means your changing some of the code, but not all of it. I took very little programming in college, and I can tell you it's pretty easy to massively gently caress yourself over by changing a small bit of code. Factor in the fact that this is a 13 year old game that's probably seen 100+ different programmers, and it's not hard to realize poo poo is going happen sometimes.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 12, 2012

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I have a bunch of elaborate gear from leveling up:

It goes Cloth/Chain/Plate/Leater. Just ask me if you need a piece and I'll try and hook you up whenever I'm in PoK/Guild Hall.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Can anyone recommend a type 4 aug for my weapons? I looked on the melee vendor, but he only has a 70dmg proc for 500pp. Didn't know if there were some type 4s I could reasonably get that added damage.

You can get DoN augs by buying radiant crystals.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

xZAOx posted:

I searched for radiant crystals and came up with this page:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=34988

Looking through it, the only ones that add damage that I could see are type 9 augs. The type 4 augs again were just procs - best I could find was some that proc'ced for 175. Better than the merchant ones, but not sure how much the radiant cyrstals would cost.

Yes, I looked through that whole list. It was horrible.

Does anyone have a good aug search site? Or know of a type 4 that adds damage?

My bad. When you said damage I just assumed you meant procs. Sorry about that. Ya +damage augs are pretty hard to come by until later on, and even then they won't add a whole ton of damage.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Are more people playing on Test or Luclin these days?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
With merc gear and merc AA's are tank mercs better these days? Are they a viable option post 80? When I played last they were great up until about 70-80 and then just got exponentially worse after that.

I'm thinking of soloing druid/tank merc. Is this a terrible plan? I'm not worries about shaman being a better pick, but don't want to set myself up to be miserable when I hit 80.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Thanks for the info. I'll probably screw around on a druid and if/when I get frustrated roll a mage. Or maybe play a Monk with a healer merc.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Do rangers actually use bows these days or are they still forced to be a weird rogues with spells instead of backstab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Anyone know/have any experience with the rumor that mage/necro pets got stealth nerfed? Both in DPS and tanking ability?