Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Bahanahab posted:

Which is why I am confused on how you think the phinny xp is 'heavenly' compared to permanent double xp of the test server. Thus, I figured it had to be a different server do to test being able to level a lot faster than phinny.

the 85-105 game is def more than one hour a level. the 101-105 game especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pilsner posted:

If there are any other weird people out there who miss Drexxel's Plane of Sky guide, I put up a mirror here. His hosting recently died.

http://www.zlizeq.com/planeofsky/

I'm back active on AB with my crew. Time to wrap up HoT with achievements and everything. Would it be a good idea to skip VoA and go straight for RoF, with regards to XP and gear? VoA quests and missions seemed a bit dull the last time I tried.

I've been playing a lot on test, but I think I want to play on a real server. I was thinking about getting a heroic on one of the other servers. You got room in your guild?

Also Skip all of VoA aside from that it looks cool, and it's one of my favorite LOOKING zones, that poo poo is DULLLLL.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Avenged posted:

So I haven't played this game in forever (was high end raiding from luclin through OoW). I'm looking to come back, and am interested in getting back into the raid scene. I mostly played a Paladin, but also have experience as a warrior. I enjoyed the paladin more. I'm probably going to be starting from scratch. What servers are populated, and do paladins serve any kind of good raid role anymore? Not interested in progression servers at all.

If you want to play non-progression EQ and aren't interested in P99 and actually want to play the game in its current state, and you don't mind paying for it. Welcome to the club ! EQ is actually a very fun game if you try to seperate in your mind what you experienced in OOW from what the game is now. I would suggest Luclin, or FV, depending on your preference. I play on test, because it is free and I don't feel the pressure that I would if I was paying to play this 18 year old elf simulator.

Remember that the cap is 105, and that 90-105 is absolute hell.. The raids are cool, some of the new lore is cool, the weapons are sweet.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Okay I am ready to get off of test. I don't own TBM(or TDS, or CoTF), and am not a gold member. I wanted to buy a heroic berserker and join an active server, but I started looking at the costs of everything. It would be 35 for the heroic, 15 for gold (10 if I bought a krono), and 30 for TBM. For me, that is far too much money to spend on EQ all at once. Does anyone have any ideas where I could cut the cost? I don't think I would be able to level 1-85 all alone.. especially with the rates of a normal server--I will just get bored and quit tbh. Thoughts?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

solved the issue.
Was able to acquire an account with a heroic slot tbm and a month of playtime for 30 dollars. Anyone on CT wanna play? Or recommend me a cool server with lots of people?

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 20, 2016

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'm a glutton for punishment so I think I'll stick with the Erudite SK for now and just hope I can avoid roving.... uh, I guess literally every other race in the game!

There are a couple of people on test doing exactly what you are. Playing through the game one expansion at a time. It's really neat. Be sure to use the plane of knowledge though, or else you will burn out and quit. Also if you really want an experience, don't wear any defiant armor.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Haven't found any defiant armor!

Already poked around the Plane of Knowledge, definitely looks useful, and I've already learned that despite also worshiping Cazic Thule, I'm KoS to Trolls. Strangely, Dark Elves don't kill me on sight.

EDIT: I pretty much have to use the Plane of Knowledge anyway cuz as far as I can tell, I can't get off Odus without going to Qeynos where I'm KoS, which makes me wonder what evil Erudite players did before Planes of Power (which I assume is the expansion that introduced Plane of Knowledge)

Do you want any help ? Let me know, I have a lot of characters on test server, if you need plat or something let me know. I don't currently play on Test, because I just moved to another server two weeks ago.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I think I'm OK for now, I'm content slaughtering snakes and babby skeletons with my rusty scythe and wandering around aimlessly till I find zones full of mobs that rip my head off. But thanks for the offer! My character's name is Ibiamen (thanks, random name generator!)

Out of curiosity, in the extremely small but not-non-existent chance I decide I want to play this game a bit more "seriously" (and subscribe), is it viable to have my main character on Test? If not, which live server is the best one?

I played on test for the last three or four years. I think it is viable depending on what you are expecting out of the game. Items really don't have value, and there is no economy because every just test copies from FV. With that said people raid on test server, and there are a ton of people who have been playing there since the beginning of time who want to help people out and build the community up. However, I think that if you end up falling in love with the game and decide you want to raid and do current stuff, and feel like test doesn't scratch your itch, then yeah you will probably have to go to another server. The free expansions and gold membership made it worth it for me for a while though, but I have for the most part been the guy that likes to do quests and explore and do epics.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

Test is full of "testcopies" at the higher end. You will end up remaking as one most likely if you value your sanity. The game is hard enough without taking every possible advantage.. especially as a tank.

Not to discourage you, but the game drastically changes at 80 as gear becomes more crucial. My advice would be to try one of the progression servers or that P99 server if you like the experience you are having now.

I play p99 pretty actively too, and it is def not the same game. I prefer EQ live to the classic experience in its current forms. Give me a progression server in PoP and move towards CoTF then count me in.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I'm contemplating rolling on Finny or whatever the progression server is if I decide to subscribe, which, if I do it, is something I think I'll do well before I hit 80 with this character, anyway. Even if I were to roll on a normal server, I'm not, like, married to trying to play by going through the old zones and I'll do whatever is the current method of playing through the game from 1 to cap. I probably won't get into high end raiding since I'm primarily into FFXIV, but I kinda enjoy the exploration and discovery in this game, with NPCs that you have to talk to to get quests from (I mean, like, walk up to them and hail them, no big glowing "!" involved) and then try to figure out where exactly to go next, etc., etc.

EDIT: Of course it's possible I'll just end up losing interest at some point, too!

The current way to play the game sadly starts at around 80-90. Once you are there it is pretty cool, but I think most people would lose interest at that range if they weren't helplessly chained to this game for whatever reason.

Mgant posted:

Is there a lot of difference between the rate of exp you get on the test server compared to the live servers?

EXP on test is double. You can also /testbuff to start at level 25 with some gear.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I will try that, then.

Which server, if any, has the best goon presence? Otherwise I'll just roll on Cazic Thule-Fennin Ro because I played on Fennin Ro back in the day, so I recognize the name. That's the only reason.

Also dumb stupid lore question cuz I usually have at least a cursory interest in MMO lore: What's the deal with Frogloks? I noticed that good classes worship Mithaniel Marr, who IIRC is the god of being a Really Good Guy, and evil classes worship Innoruuk, who is God of Hating Everyone. But rather than it being like Erudites and Humans and other good races, where the evil god worshippers live under ground and all the good worshippers give them the stink eye or shank the on sight, the Good and Evil Frogloks live together and like each other. Like I ran an Innoruuk worshiping Froglok Rogue past the Paladin GM and he conned Amiable. So I am wondering about that.

Honestly, Phinigel has the goon presence. I would estimate there are three of us goons playing on regular live servers. I am on Cazic Thule because the population is extremely high, and they have an open raid force. I know one guy is in the top guild on Xegony getting those phat pixels, and I think there are two people on Luclin?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

So I was planning on showing an old friend what EQ raids are like and letting him play on one of my accounts this weekend, does anyone want to join? Maybe do some old world sky or PoT or something on test? I would do it Cazic, but it would just be easier to do everything on test for $$ sake.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pilsner posted:

In case you missed it, there's a checkbox in the bottom left corner of the merchant window, which you can check/uncheck to only show items you can use in some fashion.

Regarding spells, did you notice how neatly you can right-click an empty spell gem and get a categorized menu of your spells? You virtually never use your spell book these days.

Good job on the VP key, I completed it (again, 15 years on) for fun recently. There are a few nasty camps, but hey, that's EQ for you. The good thing about having a 4-box crew is that you can multi-camp across the world, and then just run your main/relevant char to the spot you need when you see the rare mob pop. In dungeons, the corpse rot timer is 30 minutes, so you have plenty of time to run on.

Do you use Isboxer?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Black Baby Goku posted:

I just have a merc and it's going so slow and I don't know what anything is or does including heroes journey. There's too much goddamn content if you can believe it

83 you can do Feerott: The Dream for some solid exp with merc. HoT Grounds could be decent too. Levels really tend to slow down from 85-95 though. What server are you on?

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 20, 2016

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Givin posted:

The Quarm server:

Let's use the name of the most anti-climactic end game expansion boss for the server, and serve up the first event as the worst raiding period of the game!

Bravo Daybreak. Bravo. Your shitshow gets better every season.

I'm stoked to play.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

a real jerk posted:

i never realized there was a card game

It was pretty fun when it came out. I didn't understand people that spent money on it, but it was a solid way to pass the time while waiting for someone to set up a raid or something.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

xZAOx posted:

For the few people here that still play Live - is it still pretty obviously EQ?
It's EQ to me. I never really took longer than a year off of EQ, so the changes in the game aren't drastic for me. I played a lot of Project99 and it still leaves me craving EQLIVE. There are a lot of really cool things that were added that aren't just quality of life. Quests and zones that are amazing, and the classic experience doesn't really have.
If you're in the latest expac, do people still group up for AAs / leveling? Or is it mostly mercs/boxers? Being in a guild get around that?
I find groups every time I log in. I'm in a pretty cool guild though, and I don't really like to raid. A lot of people box, it's sort of annoying but it works.
Do you just raid most of the week, or are there other activities to do too? I'm thinking of "classic" things like working on your epic quest, coldain ring, tradeskills, etc.
I like to do epics for alts, and hunt old nameds. I play EQ for myself now and the state of EQlive is very supportive of it. I love logging on and walking through old zones that used to scare the poo poo out of me. I also like the Plane of Mirror expansion.
Just curious if the overall atmosphere and how you spend your time is mostly the same, just with bigger numbers.
You should try it out. It won't be the same but it might still have what you are looking for if you look past the big numbers and AA's.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I think that the speed is too fast. I really wanted to play on Phinny for GoD. To me everything from GoD to DODH is the best part of EQ. But I want to enjoy and take my time, but the way its currently set up I will feel forced to rush through before the next expansion opens up. I don't know what I will do, but I will def play at Omens of War. It's weird but I don't want to miss the opportunity to play depths of darkhallows again with strangers from the internet.

I hope enough people quit after GoD so I can just buy an account and play OOW and DODH.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNIv2CQLjT4

Asylum of Anguish was so much fun.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I would love to know what went on in the testing and development phases of some of the cool raids. Did the devs say: "Oh yeah make sure these gently caress everyone up if they make a mistake" or was it more like: " these would be sweet right here"

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

what's quarm like?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Hoohah posted:

My personal sweet spot for a server like this would be full instancing up to TSS (TSS and on there aren't open world things to worry about that cockblock progression), limited single-system boxing allowed (6 instances at most across 1-6 CPUs), limited MQ2 allowed (no scripting, no map, no infinite range target, afk detection built in, maybe disable moveutils as well), instancing fixed from 6.5 day lockout to 5.0 so you're not locked to the day you kill stuff if you want to rearrange for a week, Krono trading disabled or otherwise restricted to lessen its prevalence, XP rates on leveling maybe a tad more than they are now (10% boost at most, maybe) with AA XP rates at about 30 minutes per AA in a normal group at a good camp, and 3 month unlocks IF all required encounters or milestones are completed. This is basically an impossible setup because of the MQ2 and Krono part, but hey I can dream can't I?
This would make me very happy.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Am I too late to join in on Quarm? I have the next 13 days off of work and would really love to do some OOW. Would I have to poopsock to get to level 70 as a warrior? Hows the EXP and the 51-65 grouping?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

New expansion looks like poo poo. I'll be buying it anyway. I wish they would up the heroic level cap to like 95 or 100, so that more new players could start playing that content.

I think it's so weird that the devs don't make a clear pathway to high level high AA.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

darkhand posted:

It's a whole lot easier now to level but They're basically stuck because they don't have dev time to help new people and also come out with a half assed expansion.
Although I'd imagine they're seeing a bump in profit over last year because of the TLPs

the exp from 90 on is a crawl. I meant that they should speed that up so that it's easier to cap out on non-tlp servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

How's Agnarr going?