Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Sell me an IAP that officially changes the pronunciation of Luclin from LUCK-LYNN to LOOSE-LYNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

blatman posted:

I love weird stories about how janky this game is, some day I hope to stumble across a "dumb EQ bugs" compendium so I can be reminded of the stupid garbage that's happened over the last 22 years

I also love these sorts of stories. If anyone has any more from Planes of Power-era EQ in particular I’d love to hear them.

I very vaguely remember there being an exploit that let guilds beat the Rathe Council and flag for Time ahead of everyone else. I’m sure that came with a bunch of drama from the high end guilds.

By the time my guild got there I think the fight had been nerfed so we beat it ahead of PoWater. To this day I don’t think anything in a MMO has matched the rush of finally getting that Plane of Time flag. :3:

Only to spend the next month sitting outside waiting to see if the raid needed to swap me in because Druid in a guild run by Monks :suicide:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

I’ve always loved EQ, but I’ve never been on the cutting edge like that. There’s people that have probably made a million dollars selling plat due to exploits. Especially 20 years ago. Pretty crazy to think about.

I can confirm there was pretty good money in that sort of thing 20 years ago. Around the time when Diablo 2: LOD came out I started selling items on eBay and making decent money at it. I sold dozens of Tal-Rasha’s Masks for $20 apiece and I could farm a half dozen of them in an afternoon running Mephisto with my Sorc.

The bottom fell out of it pretty quickly though. I wouldn’t want to compete with someone overseas making $2-$3 an hour.

It’s been a lot of years but I remember levelling services being a thing in EQ. Every few months someone in our guild would get their account stolen after giving the login and password to a levelling service.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Hindsight being 20/20 I should have sold my EQ, EQ2, FFXI and WoW accounts when I quit.

I think I remember making a little money from Legends of Norrath. If EQ brought back LoN I’d throw money at them tomorrow.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

schwein11 posted:

Any thoughts on these or other combinations?

Very much interested in this discussion because I’m considering trying two boxing when the new server launches.

My heart wants SK/Druid because I was a Halfling Druid main back in the day and I loved it. My head says “yeah but SK/Shaman is pretty much a Willy Wonka golden ticket and getting groups as a Druid back in the day sucked”.

It would be super weird to play a non-Froglok Shaman though. :3: I suppose it’d be an interesting change of pace to go the evil route with an Ogre SK/Troll Shaman.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’m glad the race size issue came up cause it’s not something I’ve ever had to worry about. My main was a Halfling Druid and I’ve never played an alt larger than a Froglok.

I did remember Shamans get Shrink pretty early and assumed that would do the trick. I hadn’t considered the hassle of having to swap it in and out of my spell list all the time.

How much of a pain would it be boxing one evil/one good race in Classic? I know I’d have to invis the SK for some of the Druid ports. But it’s been 15+ years so I’m operating mostly on sketchy memories of days gone by. My routine was to take new characters to GFay and do that followed by Crushbone for belts.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Decided to log into one of the free servers to get a feel for EQ again. Having a blast fear kiting animals in South Karana on my Druid. Downtime city, but the pacing is kind of nice for texting/cleaning my apartment, etc. Very chill.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

blatman posted:

if you decide to invest some time into this dead old game, druids are nuts on live servers at high level, I don't understand why nobody is whining about how much damage they can crank out while not technically being a dps class

like i'm not sure how exactly they pull it off but I group with a druid that has no problem simultaneously main healing while keeping pace with the rest of the dps in the group but despite this I barely ever see them in the ocean of shadowknights and mages that makes up the bulk of the player base

That sounds wild to me as someone who played a Druid from Kunark to just before Omens of War. It’s hard to imagine a world where Druids are a top class. Most of the time I played involved getting passed over constantly for a Cleric or Shaman.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah, things got much better by the time PoP came around. In hindsight most my problems in that era stemmed from being a Druid main in a raiding guild run by three Monks with a corrupt DKP system.

Had a blast quadding in HoH, single kiting PoFire tables, and at least getting to see all the content even if I wasn’t getting any elemental molds till they were on rot.

Even if it means a rough start I’m all in on another Druid main. :hellyeah:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh my god. I had the wrong account and I just discovered where my old main was hiding. I’m sure this is insanely bad now, but behold, Callwin the 65 Druid from yesteryear! :3:

Double PotCabbage earrings, my Epic is in one of the bags, the clicky is the Phylactery with the MP/HP regen clicky.

So many memories. OMG my Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl!

Edit: Holy poo poo I had a redhead bard alt named after the first girl I ever really dated. :3: Having so much fun checking all my alts.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 21, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

I have played a priest class in like 20 years but I can name almost every piece of gear in that picture haha

You’d probably be pretty close! I had some weird pieces equipped for the focuses while soloing that might throw you.

Bard alt had the Iksar and Erudite masks plus the Werewolf illusion lute. Druid had all the Grandmaster tradeskill tools in the bank from making it to the “1750 club”. 56 Froglok Shaman alt had all the toys like a Jaundiced Bone Bracer.

Nostalgia overload!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So for those of us new to TLPs, when does Mischief launch? Is it one minute after midnight or a set time on the 26th?

After a week of playing around on the free servers I think the plan is to go Druid to start for a couple months. Then maybe I can add a box or two once I’m more comfortable. Kite a few mobs, charm a few aminals and smash em together, maybe make a little plat.

Is the overflow server worth considering at all? I’m guessing it’s population will drop like a rock once the initial rush on Mischief dies down.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’m in! Halfling Druid loaded up and waiting for the UI to import. :hellyeah:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Drunkenboxer posted:

In the queue with a 38m wait time! Less then I expected but I assume it is due to working hours

I got to level 2, bought a couple spells, got a Fire Beetle Eye for Flame Lick and now I’ve gotta log out for a doctors appointment. :sigh:

Hopefully I can log in again when I get home.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

Just stay logged in?

I read there’s a 30 minute inactivity auto-boot on new TLPs so I just logged out.

Welp. Such is life. I’ll try again when I get home in an hour and a half. Had an absolute blast for the first 30 minutes I got to enjoy. :3:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Home with a bag of McDonalds and a 38 minute login queue. I can handle that.

Time to get stoned and eat my lunch!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’m very glad I gave up on the idea of boxing on day one. Maybe I’ll revisit that option in a month when Kunark rolls out.

So excited to whack some bats ‘n rats!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Had a good start on Mischief yesterday, soloed my Druid up to level 9 in Misty. Gonna hit 10 for SoW today for sure. :3:

Also snagged a Pristine Giant Scarab Carapace so a road trip to Butcherblock is in my near future!

This has already been an awesome nostalgia trip and I’m barely getting started! Should make it to the Karanas within the next day or two and I plan to live there for quite some time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Indecisive posted:

I imagine at least some people with out of era loot are keeping their lips sealed to try + avoid losing it

There’s probably one Druid out there with a Goblin Gazughi Ring and he’s silent as the grave praying no one notices.

I dinged 10 and memmed some random spell about wolf spirits I don’t think I’ll ever use. Then I took a road trip through Kithicor to the Commonlands. Sooooooo much nostalgia doing that run. I was very careful not to go at night. :3:

Once I bound at the tunnel and popped into Freeport to find all the vendors empty I took it as a sign to take a break and go get food.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It’s wild that people are raiding already. I’m excited to hopefully hit level 20 Druid tonight to get Tracking.

Still having an absolute blast! Nostalgia overload running around the Karanas. My only gripe so far is that Freeport looked weird.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

There is always someone with more time on their hands.

I suspect they’re also a hell of a lot more efficient than I am. I’m definitely taking my time to enjoy the journey.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Movement speed increases are for children and cowards. Real Druids thorns up, root the target and tank it down with self healing like some kind of Halfling Fight Club. (Halfling Fight Club would actually be a pretty good guild name)

Dubious Druid solo strategies aside, I’m still having a blast on Mischief. Took a little time off at 20 to do the Testament of Vaneer and dipped into my true EQ passion, tradeskills, for as much as my meagre supply of plat could manage. Did some of the easy stuff like the first hundred points of Baking so I’m ready to make Rat Ear Pie for the Paw of Opolla in a few levels. :hellyeah:

Now I’m up to 23 and happily boppin along doing my thing. Levelling into the range for Bronze weapon drops helped my plat situation immensely. Not gonna worry about anything more than enough to comfortably cover spells and a little light crafting till I get closer to the cap.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Apparition posted:

Rolled my first Druid on Mischief, currently level 28. Thanks for the ideas for quests to do, do you have any other ones I should look out for as a Druid?

Testament of Vanear and Paw of Opolla are the big two to my recollection. If you’re a Tunare worshipper there’s a quest for a clicky root necklace that I covet greatly. If you get the Bracers of Battle in Crushbone there’s a quest to turn those into 3wis shoulders.

If I remember any more I’ll post them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The community on Mischief is pretty toxic unfortunately. Probably the biggest disappointment in an overall enjoyable return to EQ.

Anyone know what the deal is with that Golden Rapiers guy constantly spamming chat? Someone mentioned in chat once something about it being a t-shirt scam where the guy spams invites, sells a bunch of guild merchandise, then bails by the time Luclin comes out.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Malaria posted:

You are basically me. I rolled a wizard, nobody wants to group, and there's barely anyone to play with. Come to Mischief. Add me. I rolled a Druid named Chungus. We can probably scrape by.

If you’re wanting to find groups Druid probably isn’t the route you want to go. I love the class, just hit 28, but it’s an uphill battle. Outdoors groups are actually pretty good if you’re comfortable wrangling a charm pet, but the stigma around Druids is almost as bad as the one around Wizzys.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
You can guess which class all the biggest assholes on Mischief play. They’re all crammed into South Karana pestering Druids to track stuff for them and throwing a fit when they don’t get High Shamans.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Digging back a bit into the thread but what numeric keypads are those?

Thinking of picking up one or two keypads to help play around with true boxing alts. If anyone has any recommendations I’d love to hear them. I suppose any cheap $10 membrane junk would do, but if I could get something mechanical with RGB backlights it’d be fun.

I’ll keep trucking along with just the Druid till I hit the cap in Kunark. But there’s a lull between level 60 and AAs in Luclin that seems like a great time to muck around with alts or figuring out a boxing setup.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If there’s 50 people in the zone why don’t they just /pick to a fresh instance and do the turn in?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

BabelFish posted:

They're Motospeed k24s, as far as I can tell they're the only mechanical RGB numberpad on the market. I bought mine off amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOSPEED-Mechanical-Portable-Backlight-Extended/dp/B0854L5XGT/

Looked at that exact one yesterday so thanks for the tip! Everything else I was finding was enthusiast level stuff for $80+ and I don’t think that’s necessary for what I’m looking to do.

Lots of build it yourself kits for mechanical numeric keypads for some reason. I’ve never used a soldering iron before and it seems like a lot of hassle for a keypad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

I just don’t get the whole /pick thing at all then. Managed to hop into one in Befallen for an hour last night when the zone got up to 21 people, but a zone with 59 doesn’t get a second pick?

Feels like the thresholds for pick zones are set so high as to be nearly worthless.

Edit: Yay for happy endings and JBoots for all!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
On the bright side Hasten has been up several times today and I’ve shouted him a few times to no response. Guessing the price of JBoots should collapse closer to the Ring at 300pp or less.

Been a fun few days on Mischief. I camped my Paw of Opolla which went reasonably well I suppose. Took about eight hours to get the ring in Befallen. Got pushed out a few times but it wasn’t too bad. Then I got pretty lucky and got the fungus for the bronze and gold rings out of Guk in a couple hours. A quick trip to Blackburrow and my Paw was complete!

Now I’m sitting at 30 Druid watching auction chat for cheap Vermy Bracers and a Mammoth Hide Cloak. :3:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Having another amazing day in the world of EverQuest on the Mischief server. :3:

Woke up this morning in a bit of a foul mood, so I spent a couple hours giving away free ports and SoW at EC tunnel refusing to take any tips offered. Actually wound up having a blast making people happy giving away free ports and buffs. Tons of fun little interactions, silly jokes, and loads of grateful people. I highly recommend it to anyone feeling a little sour on the community if you’ve got some time to kill and want to do a little shopping in EC anyway.

I figure the good karma must have helped cause I managed to buy both of my Vermiculated Bracelets for 400pp each today! Thanks to the Vermi Bracelets I’m now over the 200wis soft cap and was able to swap in a couple +mana pieces. :woop: Kind of wild having raid gear at level 33 and 1501mp. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the earrings and back slots to have my complete pre-Kunark gear set!

Now it’s back to the level grind and hoarding every single plat I can in anticipation of Luminescent Staff and Elder Spiritist Vambraces! Guessing the prices on both will be insane at first, but hopefully they fall quickly on Druid-only clickies.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Republicans posted:

I'm in Faceless and they're perfect for folks like me who can't attend most raids due to work schedule. Even only attending splits one night a week and getting a few batphones here and there I'm still going into kunark with 23 krono banked and I'm well geared for classic.

drat, and here I was feeling like a big winner having my Vermiculated Bracers by level 35 and 4k plat in the bank.

I just hope I’ll be able to afford a Lumi Staff and a Jade Reaver someday. :ohdear:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
My biggest dilemma on Mischief is that I want to play everything now. I’m not even at the cap on my Druid and I’m already googling about twink gear for Bard, Shadow Knight, Monk and Necromancer. ooh and Shaman would be fun, oh and Rogue has a really easy epic, and… and… and…

Thank god for the sub fees restraining me or eventually I’d turn into one of those 72 boxing weirdos. Instead I’m thinking Druid/Monk. Or maybe Druid/Bard with an eye to Druid/Bard/SK. Or maybe… *goes on endlessly till I lose my mind*

Basically my problem is that EverQuest is too fun.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So when I got home and launched the game for Kunark I ran around getting spellls, then set to work on camping the Sarnak Courier. A few hours later THE RING DROPPED!!!

So now I’m the proud owner of what might be Mischief’s first Goblin Gazughi Ring. :woop:

I kind of want to keep it for charm soloing, but Druidchat reminded me it might be worth a fortune six hours into the new expansion. If someone backs up the Brinks truck with an insane offer I might have to take it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

Sell that poo poo for like $100

I put it in auction chat and got a bunch of smart asses offering 500pp. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
On previous TLPs did the price of Krono ever plateau or should I be cashing out my plat for Krono any time I get enough to do so?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Allakhazam is an antiquated mess but it’s been the most reliable source of information.

The P1999 wiki is formatted way better but the information can be a little sketchy given it’s based on an emulator and not the real game. I like it a lot for quest info though.

Araduneauctions is another staple resource for me. Got my first two Krono yesterday! :3:

https://www.araduneauctions.net/search/Mischief

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Unfortunately it feels like the best approach on Mischief is to abandon hope of ever looting anything useful and just think of all drops as +plat. You can buy a ridiculously stacked set of gear remarkably cheap. The GDKP guilds had it right from the start. Turn everything into plat and just buy the loot you want later.

The mix of Krono and Mischief’s rules is proving to be a nasty brew, but I place most of the blame for that on Krono. Forget True Box, I want a True Subscription server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
On the bright side I got my Elder Spiritist’s Vambraces today!! :hellyeah:

Now I just need the levels to use it! I adored my Coldain Bracer with the same clicky effect back in the day so having one before the min level in Kunark is awesome.

It’s also fun watching the prices on the Lumi Staff keep dropping. :bisonyes: