Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Having a blast so far. Put ranger up to 51, asked why my SC mule from triple SC weekend was not an active box and put a mage up to 42. Eventually looking at tank and cleric mercs with X & Y classes, but now that I look, I'm not sure anymore. My reasoning behind mage was the low overhead and high output from a sitting standpoint (pet twinked with summoned poo poo, damage shield on tank merc, etc) with ranger doing massive damage. I feel like that's not going to hold up if I want to do some more advanced content just boxing two, so that being said:

Option A:

Continue ranger and mage because it won't matter/is viable in the long run. Faster DPS grinding aa's and just find groups for hard/intricate stuff. Another nice thing is having two characters that are fun to play while not boxed, in case a raid or group needs a mage instead of a ranger. Optional later merc configs with twinked pet tank.

Option B:

Since my guys are only 51 and 42, rerolling will take a day. Go back to the tried and true Melee dps/Shaman combo. Probably rogue/shaman with tank/cleric mercs.

Halp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Peechka posted:

If you like the game, and it seems like you do, theree is no reason for you not to go gold a while ago.

BTW, I went to wallmart just yesterday and they did not have the $15 for 2K SC cards there. So not all wallmarts have them. I do have another one near me which I will check out today.

I would bet that they do. During the triple SC weekend a while back (right after the security breach) I sat for 3.5 hours in Wal-Mart while various employees searched for and then claimed that such things did not exist at Wal-Mart. The big card section in electronics was mysteriously bereft of everything except the ones pertaining to garbage games on Station and lovely amounts. When I was checking out with my inferior haul I noticed that despite everyone looking around like retards, searching in computers, and yelling at non-English speaking warehouse workers; said cards did exist. They are hiding at the front in every 3rd register aisle with the Applebees, Outback, iTunes and various other shitter cards that have nothing to do with gaming.

Out of curiosity I ran the same experiment at another Wal-mart the next day (triple SC too strong) and had the same results, but I didn't wait as long to peace out since I knew where they were. This one called the other stores in KC metro and they all confirmed that NONE of them carried the bonus SC cards anymore. Hilarious.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Does Rain of Fear grant a month of playtime or would a returning person need Gold PLUS RoF? Also, are the "scaling" items only at very high levels or will the dropped low level gear scale now?

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
If a couple of older mmo vets/brainworms victims wanted to do EQ and its progression to some sort of endgame, what's the best way to do that with the current DB offerings? We don't mind boxing, grinding, etc but want to experience number go up and gearing successively for content, if that makes sense. We recently went wall to wall on Ff11, but the "endgame" in live is so buried under incredibly esoteric systems that progression isn't clear (like do content A until you have gear for Content B, then c, etc).

Mischief and Oakwynd look cool, but is FV the better route for folks who haven't played in decades?

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the info everyone, this is great stuff.

To put some more of our perspective out there, FF11 was great until the linear nature of progression evaporated completely and the answer in a 20+ year old game was "do absolutely everything simultaneously." We enjoyed the group grinding aspect of job points, mastery points, etc (similar to AAs) and just like the aspect of grouping for advancement. You can see the dip in that a ton of content exists in FF11 where people constantly ask "what to do next" and a hundred endgame guides exist trying to make sense of it. There are also insanely time-gated things like 6 month long REMA weapon chains, etc. It's just tough to keep momentum when "what do we do next" is 100 miles wide and an inch deep. You have to collect and upgrade 40+ pieces of gear from horizontal content, essentially, and most of it is time gated in some fashion as well. None of it really.... progresses (?) you, until you have it all and then you can kind of do endgame but only if blessed with incredibly diminishing population PUGs. Cool classic game just insanely inaccessible in the bridge between mid to endgame. Only three of us ended up going this far and it was a fun 6+ month journey.

Enter the interest in EQ, where we're kind of hoping (even if it's sloggish) that the path is linear/clear to keep advancing our characters. I've personally played EQ2 TLPs quite a few times, but never an EQ1 TLP. As long as we can log in and know that "these are the next steps to continue working on the path to endgame" that is what we are looking for. It's not necessarily nostalgic outside of the engine for us, more that we enjoy the pace of older games and the grinding/gear progression that comes with them instead of the Korean enchant mmos or WoW.

I have no doubt ya'll are right that some people in the static will drop off in the first month+, but there are a couple of us with the real deep MMO brainworms that will likely stick it out, as long as we can log in and put time in that moves us forward. I still do some grinding and fighting on MUDs, that's how bad my personal infection is. We don't mind spending sub fees to play on the premium servers or for expansions etc. I'm not super familiar with autogrant, I'm assuming it cuts some leveling/aa down? At least two of us are pretty hardcore about this and will likely set up boxes with the good stuff in the last few pages mentioned here.

How badly does population affect the in-game experience, especially as you trend past midgame (which I assume you can box/merc easily)? I think we're leaning towards Mischief or a Live non-special ruleset server with high population (I assume that's FV?). I assume the same couple of us might get to the last third of the journey to endgame so being on a server where a guild could facilitate that would be great.

Thanks again for the help!