Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alright, my goon buddy and I rolled on Luclin last night as an enchanter and monk. We're currently in the tutorial getting everything done. I've played on and off for years, but this is my friend's first time legitimately playing, so I'm excited for him. Some guy in the tutorial was handing out plat, so we have 250pp now to spend on spells, skills, and merc upkeep for a while. We'll be getting into the goon guild sometime soon, but anything we should know about our specific situation that might make things smoother or more fun for us? Also, solid OP, has helped a lot, even if I thought I was already a pro EQ player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I started an SK, and chose the healing merc because my logic is: I want to raise my defense and fighting skills, and if I let the tank merc do all the work, I'll end up high level and no defense/offense skills. Is this dumb and should I dismiss my cleric and get a tank to fight along with?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The servers appear to be on their way back up.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

I'm getting an error at the launchpad when I try to connect. Anyone else?
They just posted on their Facebook page about working on fixing login issues.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is Luclin still currently where to go for new/returning players? Qarm? I'd like to start a new character but it'd be nice to play with some goons.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well if anyone is still poking around on Luclin, I'm Goonak in Ominous Latin Words. 60 SK, no real plans, just messing around earning some AAs and probably a few levels. I'll also be creating a new character at some point so if anyone is interested in starting fresh I'd be down.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely going to play Agnarr. I'm struggling picking my class though. My options are:

1. Relive the glory days as a Troll SK.

2. Play the most satisfying class ever: cleric. I think I'd have the most fun with this one but I also feel like half the server will be clerics and enchanters and shaman. I want to be a unique snowflake.

3. Wizard is the only class in EQ I never really leveled up to any extent. Seems like it'd be boring solo though, for the times I couldn't get a group.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Piss de Bundy posted:

lol leveling in innothule swamp is ridiculous compared to the other races starting zones

This is accurate to the early game. I remember my first character was a troll and coming across another player, while not rare, was exciting. When I made my first non-troll character after playing in Innothule / South Ro for a month, I made a high elf and was suddenly thrust into a bustling GFay.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants to add me I'm playing a halfling cleric named Gabbon on Agnarr.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why but the holidays always makes me nostalgic for EQ. I'm on Agnarr as Gabbon a 10 halfling cleric trying to complete my newbie armor quests if anyone wants to offer some help.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

iddqd posted:

I have no idea why but the holidays always makes me nostalgic for EQ. I'm on Agnarr as Gabbon a 10 halfling cleric trying to complete my newbie armor quests if anyone wants to offer some help.

I’m still in the mood to play some EQ but it’s lonely on Agnarr. Any groups going on a certain server? Test maybe? I’d love to start a little gnome SK or level a cleric/chanter/shaman/something useful to a group.

E: I think I'll play on Phinny unless otherwise told in this thread!

e2: Name is Tumben and I'm a gnome SK. Having a blast. I love this game.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 9, 2019

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Gloomingdeep armor you get from the tutorial is reskinned Crude Defiant so thats a good way to get a full suit right out the door.

Also I didn't realize how quick leveling is these days. On Phinny I'm almost 40 and I made my little SK two days ago! The tank merc definitely helps plow through things. I've just been hitting the hotzone 10 levels above me and blitzing through mobs.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

I'd say by looking at the hotzones a 0-75 leveling guide for phinny is

Tutorial
Paludal caverns - Start on the east side with the weird bugs and poo poo and move to the bandit camps early teens. Maybe a bit later depending on class i.e. casters
Crypt of Dalnir at 22-24. PC exp is amazing till 24 then goes to total garbage
Dulaks Harbor low 30's
Velks at 40-42. Start with spiders, move to dogs then go into the castle. Easy stay to 55 and I suspect to 60. If castle is camped at 55, just go to the hole and level there till 60 and swap to AA
Hole - Get loads of AA on the undead ghosts deep in. The deep may even be an option too for some classes.
Plane of Fire at 60 to 67-68. Fight in either castle. The furthest castle is the best as you hit around 63-65.
Paw till 75 then swap to AA's and get everything.

gently caress knows after that.

If you go to any of these zones and your merc is shredding stuff, check your exp. If you are getting 2% a kill, that's great. I'm pretty sure exp is capped on how much you get anyway at higher levels.

Dulak, Velks and Paw will net you a lot of gems to vendor to keep defiant armor upgraded. PoF and Hole aren't that bad either.

Make sure to bank as much AA as possible at 60 and 75 after you have bought all the good stuff and want to carry on leveling. Very very important. I think it's twice (?) your level you can bank i.e. 60 can bank 120.

Thanks for the guide!

Also I somehow have 13,000 station cash... probably from playing SOE games for almost 20 years. What should I spend it on (if anything)? I got the milk and cookies thing... even though I right clicked to eat them and watched my stats not change. What else?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay cool. How should I be spending my Merc's AAs? Should I save them for something or just dump it into health as it becomes available?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What’s the deal with Berserker? The throwing axe stuff is confusing because it almost seems like flavor rather than being useful.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda burned out on just straight leveling at the moment. Got to level 48 before it happened! I need some other goals. What are some good rings and earrings I can work towards for SK? Everything in the bazaar is expensive or terrible for jewelry. I have no earrings at all except for looted no-stat earrings.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gepgepgep posted:

I can send you one that doesn't suck awfully bad, what's your IG name on the SK. Ears and neck tend to be hard to find good upgrades.

Keep in mind that once you're in 50s you're exping in areas that drop gems for cash which will help significantly.

Name is Tumben. I’m working on a quest in Goru’kar Mesa that seems to give a pretty good neck piece according to Alla.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone on Phinny able to invite to your guild? It's lonely with only General chat.

iddqd posted:

Name is Tumben. I’m working on a quest in Goru’kar Mesa that seems to give a pretty good neck piece according to Alla.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Krazuel posted:

I'm starting to feel that drat itch and I don't want it!

Do it. :unsmigghh:

A couple things I've realized:

-You can control when/what your tank merc attacks with the Assist and Passive modes on the merc control panel. I went 51 levels before realizing this and it always made pulling very calculated.

-You can Bind Wound while sitting/medding.

-Some expansions have harder hitting mobs with higher HP at the same level. This is why sometimes its good to stay in Velks or whatever for longer instead of going to a PoP or TSS expansion zone (for example).

-Clickies don't have to be at the root level of your inventory! They can be in a bag!

- "/hidecorpse all" is a godsend when you have 15 giant spiders with No Drop/No Lore items sitting on them and it's getting hard to see, or in a confined dungeon.

-It's good to pay attention to aggro balance with your merc because you still need to raise your defensive skills. As an SK, I wait until a mob is at 40% then I start taunting and letting it beat on me, so at level 53 so far all my defense stats, taunt, disarm, etc are all maxed.

-Try not to buy too many upgrades. Set a price limit of 50-100pp and if any gear is higher than that just don't buy it. Between drops, the daily hotzone quest, quests in general, and cheap <100pp gear at the baz, you'll just do fine leveling.

-DO sell your extra defiant and trade skill whatnots in the baz when you're not playing to wrack up thousands of plat, then put it in the bank only keeping on you what you need for merc upkeep.

Well anyway, as a returning player I just thought some of these tidbits could be useful so I posted them. Welp see ya.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 13, 2019

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xZAOx posted:

It's funny what we sometimes take for granted, not realizing others might now know it. I still learn some useful modifier+click things even this far into EQ's life.

Like:

Rad!

This is a rant out of the blue, but I don't know why someone would play a human character when you're a human in real life. It's just not interesting! Where else but games like this can you be a drat gnome or troll.

E: Is there a way to turn off camera shake when mounted?

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 13, 2019

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a bit of free time so I sub'd and made a dwartf cleric on Mischief if anyone else is playing. I have no gear and am almost level 2 so I will be worthless but hey if you want to come by and buff me in BB feel free to do so!

e: Also playing a troll SK which was my original character! Name is Goonak (before I knew what goons or SA was)

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 5, 2021

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely incredible how this game still pulls me in. This Mischief server is fun, and everyone is very friendly and just shits items at you. Reminds me a little of Test Server to a smaller degree.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A surfing dog?! posted:

Sent a Sword of Rile and some random armor pieces for your SK. Feel free to keep/sell whatever you don't need.

Kick rear end, thanks so much!

I’m almost 17 and realizing I don’t think I need to leave Guk to level, like at all. At least, I’ve been able to go from 6 to 17 and I can probably make it to the low 20s in upper, then switch to Lower.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got bored of Guk and headed to Unrest. Got fast levels all the way to 26 where it has started to slow down quite a bit. Where should I go next?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

trauma llama posted:

What class are you playing? My shaman just hit 26 today as well. UR basement is still solid with a decent group. I’m hoping to get a couple more levels here then hit TofS around 28-29

Sweet! Yeah I didn't even know there was a basement. Playing SK (and also trying to keep my cleric on pace, currently 12 and trying to get to Unrest group level).

Unrest is actually super unfamiliar to me. I started playing during Kunark and I leveled through LOIO in the teens and early 20s before moving to The Overthere, then Frontier Mountains, then Dreadlands.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Ok, I feel dumb, how the hell do you /who all a guild now? Used to be able to put the guild in quotes if it was multiple words but that no longer seems to function correctly, actually I can't seem to who all a guild at all even if it's a single word

Super weird. I know for a fact I did the guild one with zero probs on Mischief a few days ago. Tomorrow I’ll log on and check again. I can’t imagine this would be a time locked progression feature lol.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any good necro guides for a TLP server (Mischief)? I seem to recall milestones like pets being able to dual weild, certain ones being a "rogue" and able to backstab, etc. I am also not sure if it's advantageous to give my skelly weapons or any other items.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I started up a lil gnome SK on Valinak under the name Ramdass. Decked out in all the Gloomingdeep gear and I don't really know where to go from here but thought I might try U. Guk.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LuckyCat posted:

I started up a lil gnome SK on Valinak under the name Ramdass. Decked out in all the Gloomingdeep gear and I don't really know where to go from here but thought I might try U. Guk.

I just realized I mixed the server names "Yelinak" and "Vaniki." it is Vaniki I am on. Had a lot of fun soloing in Upper Guk until 15 and now I am soloing around the castle in Unrest. Is there a goon guild? Also do cash shop exp potions stack with the 76% bonus going right now?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Idk if this is lucky or what but I took the 100pp I made in Unrest today and found a MoSS for 95pp! I am quite pleased. Much upgrade from the Kobold sword or whatever it was from Gloomingdeep.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
29 now with my lil gnome SK on Vaniki. Seems like groups are hard to come by or at least in this level range. I ran to LGuk to see how I could do there and was able to squeeze a couple of kills but it was a very small area I felt comfortable in near the entrance with really slow repops. Any ideas for a place with blue and white mobs I can tackle pretty easy solo?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Solarin posted:

I always hit up Highkeep to kill guards in this range due to nostalgia. There’s a nice spread of levels, the top floor going up to level 34 iirc. There’s neutral vendors on the ground floor to sell too even after wrecking your faction there.

ToFS also might work. The library floor was the best spot imo with really low health caster mobs. Might be dangerous solo without twink gear or buffs.

I’m always looking for out of the way places to try, so high keep it is! Thank you! I vaguely remember killing guards there on my troll sk many many years ago. ToFS sounds like a good place if HK gives me any trouble.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Classic level cap is 50. Kunark level cap is 60.

Kunark = 10 extra levels, new spells, new gear, new zones, new raids, and epic quests.

And Iksar! Unless they’re allowing those from the start these days.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

koreban posted:

I didn’t check this thread over the weekend, but I took a beastlord alt up through to 33 in Echo Caverns this weekend.

I should be on this evening leveling it further and I can bump you to 33 and pop you into my group if you’re around.

Hyakuren on Vaniki, or PM me here and we can hash out times/schedules.

Thanks that sounds lovely! I tend to get hooked pretty hard on my revists to EQ land so I'll no doubt be on this evening.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In 2001-2002 era I had my druid buddy ninja loot a Noctivigant Blade from KC when it dropped. He ninja'd it then went LD. That night we arranged to log in at like 3am to exchange the sword.

Over the next couple of days he understandably got upset messages from the group calling him out for what he did. Our story was he was looting it to make sure it didn't rot, and then his Internet was disconnected. When he logged back in there was no sword in his inventory.

A GM got involved and messaged me, because of course they were able to track the blade to my inventory. I realized we had been caught so in order to not get banned, I continued the lie. That druid was my brother and I logged into his account and saw the Noct Blade in his inventory. Supposing it was a gift for me I exchanged it to my SK. I apologized for the misunderstanding and we gave the blade up.

Looking back on it I realized how hosed up it is, like some kind of terrible con. Well, it WAS a con, not LIKE one.

I wish I could say I was just a stupid teenager at the time but that would just be making excuses. Karma had it's way with me when I got scammed out of an equally expensive weapon (at the time) a few months later.

Anyone had a similar story or am I the only reformed piece of poo poo here?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

convincing a guild that he was dying of nebulous health issues to get carried through plane of time and then sold the account once it was fully geared/flagged

That’s next level :vince:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am sad the mega exp bonus on Vaniki is over and I didn’t make it to 55. It was a long week at work and one of the days I dedicated to leveling got cut short by our neighbors house being on fire, lol. Last night in the final hours I found a Dulak group (and then we went to Nadox) and went from 41 to 51. I’ll take that!

At first I was kinda bummed that Vaniki isn’t as popular as some of the other TLPs but I’ve already made friends with people around my level and my rep as a solid group tank should hopefully make it easy to group up from 51-55 and then beyond when more levels are unlocked.

What should my stat priority be as an SK? I was in a group with another SK last night and he said I should only focus on AC. I get that, but some of the pieces he was suggesting id be losing a lot of stats including a ton of stamina and HP, and sacrificing mana as well which I use to hold aggro.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 9, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

koreban posted:

Veksar. I did 40-50 there, then stayed to gear out, then did 51-55 in a night. This goes directly to the question about gear. You can basically gear out in Veksar with near-best groupable stuff.

Social reputation is your most valuable resource in EQ. Make friends, be dependable, you'll never have issues.

AC is your top priority. I had a tough time giving up gloomingdeep stuff for a little more AC, and no stats, but once you start getting drops that are around double the AC of Gloomingdeep, plus a couple stats and some HP/Mana/End, it's a no brainer.

Basically, keep your Sta and Agi above 100, Str as high as you can reasonably keep it, Int=Mana=Threat (though less important now since you could sit for 42 seconds and basically have 3 more pulls worth of mana).

Later on you'll be spending dozens of hours farming AC augs from miserable zones for a +5AC difference in the one you're swapping out. And it'll be worth it

Monumentally helpful post, thank you!

I went Baz shopping and I got my AC from 399 to 440 and all my Gloomingdeep replaced. I looked for things that were maximum AC per pp in the midrange (so a 30 AC bp for 450pp versus a 33 AC bp for 2500pp).

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 10, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember it being a running joke on Bristlebane that rangers were only useful to eat a death touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I rerolled on Mischief after deciding Vaniki wasn’t for me. Forgot that when Mischief first began some guy was bankrolling me and I had a ton of twink gear and plat already. Didn’t quite make it to my goal of 1-30 today but I’ll take it. 29 Zerker named Divi if anyone wants to group up, invite me to their guild, or just chat!