Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Indecisive posted:

vaniki.. might be interesting? it'll make the game a lot more group focused probably since the stuff you get from later expansion group stuff should outvalue what you can get from the older raids you have enough levels for. Hell you could take a raid of level 40s and go try doing level 60 dungeons or something idk. Im sure with so much content open people will have to get up to some weird poo poo. Then again, most later stuff does have level recommendations / requirements so you wont even be able to use it lol. maybe they can be persuaded to adjust those

The notice says they may relax level recommendations / requirements.

For example they could change the planes from 46 to 40. They may also let casters actully hit red mobs since in many cases people will be going after some strong stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Coolnezzz posted:

Back in the day I quit once GoD hit on live and have not yet played a TLP past Luclin. I'm honestly interested in Vaniki because I feel a lot of folks will be out of their element and it will be interesting learning old poo poo we've not experienced before together. Running older raids with a large group of 40s actually sounds kind of fun.

To me, Vaniki seems like a TLP that is trying to get classic players to check out the later expansions they've traditionally disliked, maybe they can make them more interesting / suck less if more players are in that era?

Thory Crafters think the fast way to go on Vaniki is to get to 15 however, then LDON to 40 / 50.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Finally, after all these years we can truly experience “The Vision” as intended.

Ahh yes, making the game so hard as yet unplayable as you can't even kill a skeleton. O ya and you can disarm (to the ground) top tier weapons.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

You can just get a mage to summon magic weapons, cmon stop complaining

The magic tag has been removed from all items.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

I've been thinking about playing on the new Vaniki server when its out next month. So many things are going to be basically impossible or need a full raid to zerg at level 40, I'm thinking the frustration factor is going to be huge.

I'm guessing we'd need the level cap raising to 50 to have a chance at lots of non-raid epic 1.0 fights. For example I don't see a group of level 40 players surviving at the bridge chardok doing the camp for the monk epic drop. Hell I don't see them even getting to it.

If sky has shown me anything, your gonna need a raid of melee dps, casters become usless in sky when mobs hit about 55. Now can 32 people hold the bridge, I'm not sure just due to AC caps by level. But the old sleeper strat could work. (Res, damage shields, lifetaps).

Personally I think it's gonna be a really dumb strat.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

MF_James posted:

They did say they're lowering mob resists/ac (unless I had a fevered dream), to somewhat account for the level disparity.

Even if they do, level plays into everything. Twinked to hell and back a level 40 does almost nothing to a level 60. Marginal damage to a level 50.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

I extremely hate splits, never wanna do them again just fully agree with the above. Take the time save, gear is replaced so easily these days just have fun with the full crew.

Splits are ok in Classic / Kunark when you have very limited raid targets.

If your a stupid big guild run 2 full raids.

Once people are mostly geared I agree, kill splits, you don't need them.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
TLP starts tomorrow, a number of groups are going hardcore via forming static groups for leveling. If your interested in going hardcore or less hardcore on the standard server say hi and I am happy to get you an invite.

This year there are minimal no sleep groups going, our guild is mostly doing a few 12 to 18 hr days depending on the group till 50 then everyone takes a nap.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Snotty By Nature posted:

I'll be going druid at launch and maining for Yelinak. Had a blast on Aradune through PoP. Do you already have a guild ready for day 1?

Yep, Joining a crew with some old timers I played with a few years back.

Feel free to jump in our discord: https://discord.gg/bHqW4rHgg2

I am Glass on the discord.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Verbose posted:

I was actually going to try Paladin in classic this time...do you just end up healing most of the time in the endgame? I know only warriors can tank raids right

Pallys and SKs are offtanks, Wars are your main raid tanks. This becomes less of an issue over time as gear gets better. Mostly for classic its all about fearless so the mob does not run around.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the community like during one of these launches? As a solo with no pre-made, will I be able to get group spots to XP?

The most active ever. You will have groups from 1 to 50 looking for people.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Saw someone speed hacking on Vaniki earlier - not seen that in years. It was in an indoor zone and they ran past me so fast I clicked them to inspect their buffs expecting to see Selos. Not only did they not have a movement buff on them, they had ghoul root on them but were still moving extremely fast...

They seemed to be pulling for some bot army of enchanters and wizards. I guess they are levelling up to start farming Sirens for the pp to krono trade.

I've been watching the army's get built too. They are defiantly not doing the same thing as when they had a dedicated server admin. With the dedicated admin we watched reported bots go poof in a few hours to a day or so for edge cases. This is keeping the population slightly lower for sure.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Yiggy posted:

Moving through old zones vs new zones you can feel the shift in mentality. Kunark and velious especially but even still somewhat in luclin zone lines would be obscured and sometimes hidden behind horizons, corners, forked tunnels etc. And of course eq atlas was a thing but I wasn’t alt+Tabbing to check websites and especially at first (though there was a period otherwise) I wouldn’t print a map out from eq atlas.

And then you have expansions and zones like broodlands. One zone. Pentagon in shape. All the other zones in the expansion accessed via waypoints.

Our guild more or less says it this way, Classic to Velious was made by people who loved a good dungeon crawl, with a raid target being the "end" of it. All the original classic dungeons had the idea of being interesting, getting seen a lot and all kinds of stuff like that.

POP + was a lot more about raid content with minimal group content. Then you get stuff like LDON that goes the other way again. Later xpacs got even more messy always adjusting things, adding events that had to be grouped as prep for raids or just raids.

EQ really wanted to be 2 very different games, a dungeon crawler all about working as a team, and a raid game all about killing big complex mobs. Once raid gear totally out paced group gear and you needed 20+ keys in an xpac the game well tried really badly to be both and went with raids as the solution.

WOW, being the first successor to EQ went this way too in the first release. You could do group content and cool quests in the world in Classic with only a Dragon and MC once a week to clear. To get your best stuff you had to really do a bunch of different content as items were really well spread all over the place.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They also accidentally created content patches. If part of the expansion wasn't ready for launch they'd 'break' access to it and fix the bug when it was ready.

WoW devs decided to do the same, but withhold it fron launch completely and introduce the stuff later saying 'look at all this free stuff were giving you!'

WoW Devs did put a bunch of half built junk in the game too at least in Classic.

One funny thing they did, there is a mini model of Dal inside Dal. the mini model was simply a scaled down full Dal. Caused so many people to lock up trying to load dal twice

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

i poked around Droga tonight on Yeli and holy goddamn poo poo. That places is 100% automated bot farming for scales and salts for Chardok factioning. Can't get a mob in edgewise for all of the Mages strategically placed to murder every living thing. absolutely nobody responds to CC and people just act cagey as gently caress in there.

ya, unlike past TLPs there is no one really going around killing bots. We're mostly all on our own in a sandbox of doom.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

E: just don't forget to invis first.

So your saying, "pvp server!"?

If it let's me kill bots I'm in.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Velious raids are fun and neat and feel epic. And there are a few loot drops that don't expire till pop (Brain of Cazic Thule, Ring War, Thurgadin prayer mantle, Vulak drops, Dozekar quests). Velious is also where loot upgrades start to feel actually impactful because Sony figured out itemization. Sleeper's key is a single item that drops from 5(?) Mobs in the expansion.

Late in velious, people start prepping for luclin via getting the right focus effects (Obulus Death Shroud, White DragonScale Cloak). It's also another time where people 'work on their stable' because some class dynamics switch (wizards far more useful).

It's also where gdkp/platinum and side raids on back content start up because you can start meaningfully doing back content with small groups (12 man naggy/vox, etc).

Luclin keying was miserable on Aradune even if you were in the top guild. I haven't tried the changes, but it should relieve some of the worse camps like scarlet desert and maiden's eye.

Sleepers is gonna be a mess I think. My bet is that you have about 24 hrs to get a pre-awaken sleepers DZ open (and then 6 hrs to clear it) so at best the server is going to have 1 clear to see the content.

Last time some rear end guild chose to create a ton of boxes just to funnel keys to mains and now that this is a valid tactic to troll a server all the big guilds will setup the same thing to at least get a single DZ.

SOE could do almost anything smarter here, like keep DZs pre-awaken for 4 weeks or something, but they wont at least as of the last message.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

blatman posted:

in my opinion dkp is good if it has built-in decay, otherwise you get poo poo like the guild i raided with in 2009-ish that had dudes still spending their massive hoard of vex thal dkp and locking everyone out of all the valuable drops for entire expansion cycles

Yep, DKP today NEEDS to be worth more then a previous xpac, but you have edge lords who save DKP for fairly unique and uncommon items. All systems can be gamed one way or another.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Node posted:

I remember camping the ancient jarsath back in 2000. I was a paladin and sense undead made it easy, but I never got to even make the key because my guild didn't want to raid anything beyond zerging Gorenaire or Talendor.

That's my ancient jarsath story.

I only got to see VP this year, had to help the guild camp the Ancient Jarsath for days and watched people burn out on the game over this, HS keys, and other jank only found in classic EQ.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

is VP even worth it? on TAKP at least, people rarely bothered because most of the loot was outdated by Luclin. not sure how TLP compares.

There are a few drops that are worth it, as well as some Meme items like the SOW sword.

Downside is that they put a LOT of weapon in VP because they assumed you would get to VP before you got your epic. Given that some Blue servers would have rotations you could see a dragon kill once a month and other dragons needed Zerg tactics it could easily take a year in Kunark to see enough drops for just a few epics.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Like this is why content went time gated and instanced. People were paying other guilds 20kr for Sleeper keys just so they can block the instance on the server from everyone else. We also got to see box armies of 18 + monks selling loot rights and god knows what else on opening night.

Will they fix this poo poo and give a pre-sleeper DZ for like the first month? O hell no, this is engaging content the way it was meant to be played...

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I'm semi interested in Velious to just see the raids but my fav way to play EQ is group leveling and dungeon crawling so I'm going to probably just do the minimal amount of raid logging required until than.

I did like leveling I'm Velious back in the day but now that since i hit level cap the week Lunark dropped and burnt out doing VP (never again) im not really interested in dragging an alt all the way up :effort:

They've fixed almost every post VP key. They made the VP key unable to be easily blocked, but dear lord that quest. They even fixed the VT key which was such a block its not funny.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
I think the problem with Commonlands is just the volume of goods.

Classic you only have a few key tradeable items and a bunch of random stuff. By Luclin your dealing with 4 xpacs of stuff, 4x the world, and just getting places can now take much longer.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

RCarr posted:

From what I remember Dire Charm is trash.

From an old enchanter, Dire charm was good for a few raids where they give us mobs in the DC cap and everything else was uncharmable. NTOV, Plane of Innovation and a few others I am aware of fall into this. In raids keeping this mob alive is a pain but its something.

In groups its fun if your slumming lower zones for something and after a while out of era mobs get added that destroy zones.

For the most part its not giving more then 2% or 3% of raid damage in era.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
With a VT geared bard Druid and Necro I can keep agro on the bard by using HOTs, AE slow, and 2 DS songs (haste and whatever). With the Fire Ele illusion your talking DS in the 130 range. For normal group content this is absolutely insane, Spiders and dogs in Velks just fall over dead with minimal damage and the DOTS dont pull agro (Necro can dump agro anyway)

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
I am in Resurgence,

You are correct, we raided From Launch to 2 or 3 am, then started all over at 9 am from till Quarm died. It was epic, People were falling asleep, Several kills required spawn bind rushing, burn racing, AE healing non stop recasts and even then we were always 20 seconds away from death, its just that the mob died first. No joke often people were level 61 or 62 with only a few leveled enchanters, 2 tanks at 65.

We wanted to beat the world record, which is 36 hours. I think we were closer to 40 something as we lost time from wipes, farming parts, and a few keys that just refused to spawn or drop.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

Grats on the server first! We were definitely cheering you on. Do you have access to your DKP site or know if you got a Serpent of Vindication to drop off Tallon Zek? I'm super curious if I'm the only one of the server with one for however short a period of time that is. Also, if you have any friendly enchanter mains in your guild I'd love to make some new friends who I can talk strategy with!

We did not see that item drop at all. So grads!

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

RCarr posted:

What’s the best box to pair with a monk besides a shaman?

You want a healer, So Shammy is S tier, Alternatively Druid, Cleric.

If your wanting to be different do Necro. Both toons can then FD in a bad pull.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

RCarr posted:

Well you see I had a 60 shaman, and I made a monk on the same account with the intent to transfer one to another account once I got my 2 box computer setup ready. Now it’s ready and I found out they don’t do account transfers anymore…

I really don’t want to re-level a shaman again…

So now I have a 65 raid geared monk, and a 60 Kunark geared shaman (with epic at least) on the same account. I want to 2 box but I’m not sure what the best option is.

Help

I was able to level up an SK using a bard and Druid till the early 50s.

Below 5-> Get druid / Cleric buffs, go hog wild
5 to 20 ish -> Unrest, put a good DS on a high level toon, you can kill most of the zone as long as you can tag stuff (lowest mob is like 10)
20 to 28 ish -> Sol A Same method
28 to 43 -> Sol B Dogs including king are the most effective
43 or 44+ -> Mass pull spiders in velks. You need a class that can get enough AE agro that a CH wont pull agro, but even if it does, the caster can zone.

After 51 or 52 Velks mass pulls kind of suck. At this point I just went and mass murdered on my main at a good camp like kennels

I was able to get a toon to 44 in 2 xp pots using the above method on a raid geared bard with druid support.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

Admittedly, I've never used it, but I thought ShowEQ was like... incredibly sophisticated packet sniffing software that was effectively giving you administrator level access to things that are not exposed in the game, like what items a mob has when it spawns, etc., where as MacroQuest and such are just making it trivially easy to run multiple characters. Based on that, I'd assume it would be flipped in terms of what would be ban worthy and what would be a "we'll pretend we don't know you're running that software" type of approach. Is my understanding incorrect?

ShowEQ (the first one) is a Linux based packet sniffing tool, since EQ does not encrypt data you could just sniff packets and get most info about a zone fairly easily. It has a windows friend that just reads the data off the backend.

MacroQuest is exactly what you think it is. Likely more at this point. You can effectively make bots who are reading EQ memory and acting out what they need to do with minimal action.

The first one is used so much just dont talk about it in any official place. Every major guild has a few running and most TLPs are dominated to the point you can easily see 8 people running at a given spawn and we're not talking in game tracking.

HKN will get you caught if you dont put "wait" commands to space out your actions. They basically catch stuff like that by seeing 3 to 5 things happen in to short of a time.

Now if you wanna get really deep, C# can create a "keyboard" HID and can read the log fairly easily. If your truly board you can read screen data or just read EQs memory directly then send commands to EQ as a keyboard. Some guys did a setup like this on WoW a while back and made a full AI heal bot for battlegrounds.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Yiggy posted:

Exactly. They're naive if they think this will end toxicity. Its going to flower in new, interesting ways. If I play a mage on that server, gonna keep a stack of throwing daggers on me and have the skill maxed. And like you said, South Karana is gonna be a poo poo show of tagging quillmane and kiting until you find a buyer.

Edit: Actually no, that reminds me. They implemented a time drop at some point which I've noticed while damage shield power leveling. After a certain amount of time a mob will just drop agro if you haven't killed it and it hasnt killed you.

Also, while on the subject, encounter locking will eliminate a common form of powerleveling. Which won't matter given the abundance of bonuses I suppose, but still.

Cant you still hit the locked mob? its just like the normal loot locked mobs? Its just first to smack gets x amount of time before deagro

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Looking at the changes deeper this causes so many issues:

- You cant help low level toons much at all. Spells work, but the best way to level now is to make a group of twinks
- Low level Plevel game will now be getting a toon just high enough don't get xp, but killing mobs is trivial to the group members and the group members still get XP. Kinda like having a mage pet owning a zone I guess.
- Camped items will require you to actully camp with a force able to kill the mob, efreeti for example is so camped that you win by DPS race today. now you actully have to be able to kill him too.

Best I can tell they want the lower level game to be more populated. This is of course forgetting that they also keep people stuck in Classic / Kunark for way to long and maxed toons almost totally stop doing anything but end game farming and raids due to the lack of AAs for ever.

At least Ill be happy the Krono farmers will stop / adapt. So much spam

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Malaria posted:

So I got Multiplicity setup. It's shockingly easy to use.

My only problem is if I mouselook/mouse movement with holding right click on one PC, it moves the camera on the main pc. Anyone know how to stop that? I like mouse look for quick camera fixing/respositoning.

Other than that one issue, it has made boxing super easy. Probably gonna order that mini pc and get a 3 box setup together for the new TLP next month.

https://joelpurra.com/projects/X-Mouse_Controls/

That solved it for me, only turn it on for EQ mostly though.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Yiggy posted:

That’s why I like the manual button pressing. It seems so much simpler.

I use Hotkeynet, its a great way to bind Alt+1 to comp 2 and Shift+1 to Comp 3. Its a tad old and no longer on the internet but you can find it on the internet archive. That way you can push buttons and change comps just by alt and shift. Use some Macros in game and don't bind things to hit more then one comp at a time and you wont break the EULA too :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200208040329/http://www.hotkeynet.com/

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Not only that, but in theory this will be one of the less grief-y servers due to FTE. Maybe. But some of us live for conflict.

It makes timers far far more valuable thats for sure. in old days we had problems with telaporting or /picking people jumping picks, but they would never be perfectly on the ball, just close enough to out dps whoever was sitting on the camp.

Efreeti is just gonna be A) we sit on it, or B) someone trys to move in with a faster tagging crew. (Wizard AOE rains on timer I assume)

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

As someone who didn't have a problem getting greasy and planting the flag, this is really obnoxious for all parties involved. Obviously, it's gonna happen but I imagine it'll be less bad than previous TLPs. Like with 2x Necro/Necro+Shm/sk whatever showing up and ruining you're day

Hah, At one point I had my guild calling because for every necro / shm we added, they were somehow able to bring 1 more.

Classic just has to few high value items I guess.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Verbose posted:

Heading to Oakwynd 'cause my friend wants to get on the ride from the start. Are rangers fun in vanilla? Never played one.

Rangers can tank group stuff now a days. your like the bonus tank I guess. Top DPS for a few xpacs too

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Solarin posted:

I think I gave daybreak way too much credit in having a grasp on the complexity of the aggro mechanics they were altering with their FTE system. Why even propose it if you don’t have a really good grasp of it? Must have been a directive from management to cut down on CS tickets from new servers, and left to the devs to figure poo poo out live.

I’m still in an EQ refractory period so I’ll just be enjoying the show from the sidelines. I think if I burn some krono to resub in the next year it’s going to be to level on vaniki to get that rat illusion.

People were really wanting this in Test months ago. Your talking a rewrite of the agro system which is a jumble of code no one understands.

It could have been really good, but instead we got comedy gold!

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

I'm not sure daybreak will pay any attention, but all the guildleaders for the guilds forming on the new server have sent a joint open 'letter' saying this TLE ain't good enough.

But in the software industry its a rare project manager or developer that won't push on and release broken poo poo anyway.

Fairly sure we just said the encounter locking is just awful, as now you get trained and can't fight the mobs back, guards can't kill noob mobs, clerics can break locking with big heals and it would all be better with loot / xp locking they used for quest mobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

And trivial loot code is applied to everything :getin:

That code started wars in era. People took all their bad luck (which was just lovely RNG) and claimed XYZ never spawns.

To be fair, the Devs forgot that 3% spawn rate on a mob who only spawns every 30 min could be stupid long, in fact it turns out that a 3% spawn is only a 60% chance to happen 1 time in a month.

This is why so many monks quit after getting their epic back in the day, they just sat on 1 mob for god knows how long.