Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Solarin posted:

New dupe related to the tradeskill depot has supposedly been thoroughly abused for a week. I am not playing much at the moment but had to log in and confirm that yeah the price of krono on Oakwynd went from 50-60k to 500k (highest barter offer when I checked). The krono being listed for sale are all 1-2M.

Funny stuff and a good reminder to never sit on significant raw plat on a TLP.

They were (still are?) in emergency maintance over this. The team took at least 4 days to figure out what the heck was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Waroduce posted:

so how did all the dupe/plat shenanigans shake out?

Items prices are "Wierd" the amount of money in the econ is out of control.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Coolnezzz posted:

Supposedly, GMs have an in-game command that can read a target's client and report back if it's running on a VM, according to some folks at RedGuides. The exact mechanism for this is unknown, also not sure if it's actually true. I think some EU privacy laws forbid this stuff these days? I think they just don't care about when you do it on live compared to a TLP, but is detectable.

I've been curious about running Ubuntu and KVM + some Ubuntu VMs running WINE and EQ, then attempting to obfuscate the hypervisor from the VM so I can run multiple boxes on a TLP without additional hardware, but everything I read about it says it's very detectable. I assume most of those people that got caught were just running hyper-v or vmware player or something really basic, but a linux VM, hidden from the hypervisor, running WINE, might have a chance to bypass their checks?

I started playing with MQ about 6 weeks ago and it's really given me a new interest in the game, unfortunately that means I did try my hand at the red wine quest scripting and was caught in the ban wave! But I got about 17 characters to level 40-45 with it. Been using mostly KissAssist for controlling my boxes but have also been writing little LUA events using Lua Expression Manager to do things like always keep Celestial Fists up on the monks while they are in combat, always keeping my Ranger self buffs up, always clicking my Dark Cloak of the Sky haste clicky if I'm in combat and have no other spell-based haste buff, etc.

Lots of cool MQ stuff isn't written for TLPs, like the Scriber LUA. I've been modifying it and adding all of the classic EQ zone spell vendors to it and learning a lot about LUA in the process. It's super fun but I wish I could find more people to chat with this stuff about, any talk about MQ use on TLPs is forbidden on RedGuides and their discord.

I coded up my own screen reading tool mostly as a personal exercise. Being able to read first pixle information and later screen locations to capture what buffs I have and things like that. More or less going for an indirect solution to creating AI bots that I can run in code.

This can be super helpful as I'm not touching memory directly but instead using a solution that could be used in any game.

Some of my models ended up doing some really silly things, like backing up when hit (and then backing up off a cliff) and forgetting if I am sitting or standing and starting to do a dance. But when they work they work really well like having an enchanter auto CC (or even a bard), cleric auto heal, and auto buff with a queue.

But ya, really fun to see what goes into making that stuff work and creating quality of life tools to get around rules like 2 min clickeys.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Anyone else planning on playing on the 25th anniversary TLP in May - assuming they don't some up with some stupid ruleset ?

All they need to do is stamp out another mischief clone (and maybe release classic with kunark) and it will be rammed.

Some originality I'd like to see is things like resting regen from day 1.

But knowing daybreak they will probably just do some bullshit like server-wide trivial loot code and ruin everthing !

Its on my watchlist. I am waiting for the rule set like most people for sure. My hope is they bring back the dedicated GM, When the 20th server came out having a dedicated GM eat the bot armies helped a ton from getting blocked on so many items that are basicly force sold for Krono (Jboots, Efreeti Boots, etc). The world in classic is small enough that bots and normal people are non stop fighting for the same pulls and few well known cash farms that even an intern can quickly figure out whats going on.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

r0rb posted:

What do you mean force sold for krono? Krono is just plat my man. Buy some from another player for plat, and trade the krono for the item that is "being force sold for krono", there you just paid plat for it like you wanted in the first place.

It's immune to inflation too so you should always be turning your plat into krono, and just sell a krono if you ever need plat.

My point is mages porting directly to efreeti and other key mobs and sitting on him 24/7 blocking anyone from going and doing it on their own.

I'd really rather just kill the mob myself but at this point your fighting obviously cheating bots and forced to buy items.

Note this is not the same as dealing with actual players.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

shirunei posted:

Bots = money so I don't see them loving over their own bottom line again.

Aradune had a dedicated GM that blocked those mage bot armies, you could find frost giants and various high value mobs up much longer on that server.

That said it's been years since they did that. But at the time it's population of live actual players was huge.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Malaria posted:

They usually announce stuff in April and it launches around the end of May iirc.

My Oakwynd experience has kinda soured me on EQ in general. Endless bot armies running unchecked 24/7 sucks. I left before the dupes hit too. That sounds even dumber.

I might check it out if it's a Mischief clone. But I don't know, the whole vibe of TLPs is kinda trash. Everyone does the exact same poo poo every year and aggressively annoying people locking down every cool item in the game sucks. I would gladly pay extra for a server with functioning GMs stopping annoying poo poo like that.

How about a Mischief type sever (random and more loot) but everything is no drop? 😂

I imagine that just ends with the same people selling loot rights rather than the items.

Really depends how well the mischief random items thing works, To narrow and someone sits on all level 37 named mobs. With no drop off it helped a lot actully since a ton of items got super cheap since normal people could get them far more easily then on other servers. Of course exclusive items just got more anoying since a few would drop from an easy mob then get taken away after people got them. Overall it does a good job of keeping the uber bots from taking over some markets however.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

iNteg posted:

looks like some deets about new servers dropped for TLP.

Tormax and Teek, May 20th, starting with Kunark if the Test messages are to be correct.

There's some scuttlebutt about some weird rear end rulesets though, which i wouldn't put any chips on personally, like capping at 25 then every week raising the cap by 5 levels. sounds like bullshit, you'd gate keep half the content for the entirety of the expansion.

That rule set thing is bunk :) Only confirmed info is whats on Test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

RCarr posted:

I mean, that situation has played out probably hundreds of thousands of times in this games existence. I’m sure they can tell when people are shadow-stepped or summoned very easily. I’d bet that’s not what is getting people banned. The easiest explanation is usually the correct one. People are cheating.

Pulling from the team who runs Quarm, they have a "port" detector that works fairly well, they are often looking for movment greater then 1 shadowstep however. So catching port cheats is almost trival for daybreak. That said i doubt the logs are good enough if 3 mobs shadow step you in the same server tic.

That said, its labor intensive to hunt down port hackers and Daybreak just does not have the man power.