Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Peechka posted:

So I think I have a Lv70 Ranger from back in the day. And some other alts, is this account good for free to play as well?

Your old characters are playable with free to play EQ, although things like shared bank slots and inventory slots 7 and 8 are gone. Your missing stuff will be sent through the new mail system (like what WoW has) and you can put them into the now much bigger bank. Also, I don't know why, but you can't use items marked "prestige". You can put them on your character, but they won't give any stats or damage. I don't know what makes an item prestige, whether because it's raid gear, or because it has augments in it, but my highest level character can't use anything he had equipped from when I logged out eight years ago. It's mostly raid gear filled with augs, although a five platinum weapon I picked up in the bazaar because I was tired of punching things also happened to be prestige. I can understand them locking out whatever the current high end raid stuff is, but the stat inflation from eight years of expansions makes my plane of time level stuff worse than the current expansion's vendor trash. So SoE is still as incompetent as you remember them to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I figured out why I couldn't wear any of my old equipment. Almost all augments are gold subscriber only, including the +6 charisma one I got from a LDoN instance. So having used a full stack of solvents to destroy them all, I'm not longer naked, but still annoyed at having to lose all those augs.

Also, I seem to be having framerate issues in PoK, even though my computer is way too good to be having trouble with a game this old. Are there some settings I am overlooking? I don't see how a computer that runs Battlefield 3 on high and/or ultra settings could have problems with a zone almost a decade old.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
For some quick money, along with some exp potions and other fluff, do the tenth anniversary quests: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4843

While they're scaled to your level, at 69-70 I was getting hundreds to thousands of platinum per quest.

The Veeshan one is in pok and takes less than a minute to finish, most of the others only require running around to many of the older zones. There's only a few that involve combat, and a mercenary should make those quite easy for any character that's the correct level. Plus I think it's more fun to restart the game with some nostalgic exploring instead of heading straight back into the grind. I recommend starting all the quests first so you can do several different objectives at once and minimize your backtracking.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
All you need to do for hand to hand skill ups is to unequip your weapons and autoattack a mob that's green or higher. The only thing I could think of that would interfere would be against mobs that are immune to magic weapons, but I think having magic gloves equipped fixes that.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

The337th posted:

Nah, they just steal away the best of the devs and shuttle them off to the new hot SoE projects, and leave EQ running with whatever barebones dev team they can get by on.

Also, I'm sure a lot of the blame is just on a game as old as this, being coded the way it was, and built on since then. Going by several Dev accounts, it's apparently pretty easy for the simplest of changes to majorly break things.

After 13 years of patches and expansions, with probably many different people each adding their contributions and fixes and moving on, it's a miracle that it works at all. I remember hearing from someone who worked on it, maybe it was at a fan faire, that he found some code that was causing stability issues and nobody knew what it was actually for, so he eventually removed that code entirely, fixed the issue and couldn't see any sort of difference otherwise.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
You get different loot cards depending on which set the pack you open is from. So go to the legends of norrath website and look through the list of loot cards to see which ones you'd like to get.

As for getting money, Farming the lower tier mobs in the plane of hate works pretty well (Fear could work too, although Hate is much easier to manage). Loot the old school class specific armor and turn them in to the appropriate guildmasters in PoK to get some gems and exp. The iksar specific armor can only be turned in to the appropriate iksar guildmaster.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Bards use mana for fading memories as well as for some direct damage songs and charms. Some of the higher level regular songs also use a trivial amount of it that only becomes an issue on a freshly resurrected bard. However, bards do not get mana from spells or songs. Only worn mana regen items and AAs affect it, and their meditation skill of 1 does not do anything to help it either. Rest mode does increase its regen rate, which is a huge help, because before it would take a very long time for one to get back to full mana after being resurrected.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The hero's journey line of quests gives some pretty good gear for its level, and some extra rewards if you complete a category in the achievements menu ( type /ach).

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Most of the revamped old world zones feel faithful to the original zones, and I'm okay with them. The new Freeport is complete poo poo though. They made it even harder to navigate, and uglier to look at. Even if they were going for a sprawling, dirty city aesthetic, they still could have had better art, and made it less of a maze.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has anyone else been running into connection problems lately? I was all set to hit 18 -> 20 tonight but I keep getting disconnected :(

Seems to be happening to everyone after the recent patch. I think the servers are locked now as they try to fix it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Goldmund posted:

They actually changed the way augments work in the patch yesterday. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly you can add/remove/swap augs right in the item description window.

You don't need to use the birdbaths anymore, but removing the normal augs still requires you to have the right distiller in your inventory.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
In the launcher options, try clicking "validate game assets".

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So thats what happened to FP? I sent my new rogue (Unfetered) there the other day to find the bank with the door I can practice my lock pick skills on.. like all good rogues used too, only to find the city was not as I remembered it.
Half an hour later I realised I was not exploring on hosed up memories but the city had changed. That blowed major rear end.

Then I went to Qeynos, and all was well with me again. Next stop was ButcherBlock and boy did I get a nostalgic pang. That empty dungeon was a hive of activity on release. I recall two trolls used to barricade the entrance and demand a toll to get away from the trains. That was before Verant made it so players could pass through each other.

*EDIT*
Anyone remember that named elephant in South Karana that used to spawn agro to everyone in the zone? The joys seeing that over conned thing take out hundreds of players from Splitpaw to KFC.

Befallen is still the same, and that book on the table of the zone in area of Plane of Tranquility still works as well. That book is better, because it will skill you up as fast as you can click.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
For getting regular experience, kill dark blue or higher conning monsters. That works a lot better, unless you're with a headshotting ranger or doing some other method of really fast killing.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Isn't the underfoot expansion the content designed for the 80 to 85 gap?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The OMM missions still have some good rewards. There's an item with a right click tash that's int caster and bard usable, a frog illusion mask, and a shield with a reverse damage shield click effect. The hard part is finding people to go through them with you, and who don't suck completely at old school dungeon crawling.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I know it goes against the goon way of doing things, but I think that if you want to actually enjoy the game, play on a highly populated server and be willing to spend the subscription fee for gold once you've reached the higher levels.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I play on cazic, and with the new expansion, the population seems to have picked up quite a bit. I'd imagine paying for gold and the newest expansions on multiple accounts would get expensive though. I don't box; I find that being social with other players works well enough, especially since using the right mercenaries means that any two classes are enough to start a group.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I don't think so, but for autofollow, have the bard put it on and lead with another character.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

Alright so I i'm a level 6 Wizard and something confuses me:

Am I SUPPOSED to be sitting after every few kills? I have a mercenary. We kill a few kobolds in Gloomingdeep. I go OOM, I sit for a little while, rinse repeat.

Am I doing something wrong or is the norm for casters? It feels kind of slow. I know it's a completely different system and culture than other MMOs and I'm alright with that, but it almost feels like i'm missing something important.

That is normal for that level. Although eq still has more downtime than most newer games, your mana pool will expand quite a bit relative to what you cast once you level up a bit more and get some better gear. Your mana regen rate will also increase with a higher meditate skill and mana regen buffs from enchanters or potions. Plus you can be always meditating if you are standing still while on a mount. Fresh characters just can't do that much.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Also, leveling up is now very quick at the low levels. Kill things that con dark blue, white, or yellow for the most exp (target them and right click or hit C), and hail (target and press H) the guards in the tutorial every so often to get some quests with good rewards for their level. The game is a bit dated compared to newer rpgs, but the nostalgia, depth, and sheer size of the world keeps me interested.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

I threw them away, my dwarf berserker has no time to read.

Right click them to learn the skill. Alt c opens the combat skills window.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Well played bards are still a rarity compared to melody bots. They're more common now that the wrist killing manual song twisting is unnecessary, but it still takes skill to pull off all the pulling tricks, or to keep a few adds mezzed while keeping your melee attacks and a few group songs going.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There are tons of things bards can do for pulling. The Single target pushback AA skill followed by a fade is great at splitting things, as is a mez followed by a fade. Charmed mobs don't get agro after the initial cast unless they attack something, and fade makes bards invis without breaking charm. Or use the ribbon of empathy to summon the charmed pet. Mezzing something next to your target to pull it with assist agro works wonders as long as you fade off agro before mez breaks. Snaring and kiting things away followed by a fade works for large groups.

Edit: only pickable locks I've seen past the really old expansions were on the loot chests for VoA raids.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I agree about mercs. People complaining about them forget about all the times they weren't able to do anything because a key class was missing. Either that, or they played one of those always in demand classes, and didn't realize how much it sucked for everyone else.

I'll still take a real cleric over a merc healer, particularly when it comes to the higher end zones and fights against nameds. Merc healers do have the huge advantage of never taking an unannounced afk to grab a coffee, or be so busy chatting with their internet boyfriend that they let the tank die.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Setting the merc to "call assist" works if you don't mind having another button to press.

They did have, for one expansion, good instanced group content, and it was a lot of fun. Lost Dungeons of Norrath. Easy to find groups, great exp, decent loot, and it was a dungeon crawl instead of a camp. Then they raised the level caps, didn't raise the LDoN levels, and made no future expansions like it. So it was back to camping.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Try putting the healer to balanced. As for the tank merc, is one of your characters marked as a puller?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Quick time is another good dps booster.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Shift + A brings up the aura window. right click it to dispell it. Extended enhancement is also a vital one. It not only affects your clickies, but your songs as well. You can twist five songs with it maxed.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I got the name wrong. The bard one is Extended Ingenuity. The description says it only works on items, but it works on songs as well.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I don't think so. As best as I can tell, auras last 30 minutes, but refresh if you zone. Other times they seem to drop randomly. There's a lot of weirdness with them.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Focus effects can also lower the casting time.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
You're wrong about the questing. The Hero's Journey line of quests gives pieces identical to defiant, as well as the non visible pieces. They're worth doing for Crescent Reach and Blightfire Moors, although depending on how fast you level, skipping ahead a few zones may make sense. Some of the later quests in the category are too much of a hassle to bother, but those first two zones have good quest rewards for a starting character. Type /ach to see the achievements menu; Hero's Journey is the category you want. While some of the quests have decent individual rewards, completing all the quests in a category is what gives you the good stuff.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So the game is good enough to have four accounts on it, but not good enough to pay for?

I restarted the game when it went f2p with my level 68 bard. It's level 100 now, and I'm doing some higher end raiding. Finding groups wasn't too hard in the higher levels. If you want to box, it's easiest to just have one alternate account at the most and use mercenaries, and maybe fill in the empty slots with random people who are lfg, so you can eventually meet other players worth grouping with again.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If that is how you guys want to play the game, I don't have a problem with it. I'm just saying that that's not the only way to play, and that you can find groups and get ahead quite easily playing more traditionally. The four accounts being played at once scenario seems to be a strange middle ground between casual and hardcore playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if SOE does crack down on the free gold status on the test server though. Money and player advantages are the only two things they react quickly to, and rarely in a good way.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Creative Bicycle posted:

AFAIK this is just a holdover from expansions being released; ie. where the previous expansion might have had 3 levels to an aa where the highest level they wanted people to 'pay more' for so it felt 'more exclusive' or important, then the next expansion came out and it was necessary or not as powerful as it leveled past the previous point so it became cheaper again. It's obviously something that should be adjusted but I doubt the few people looking at things like that in game can be arsed to bother.

That's exactly why the costs of AAs go up and down. In the expansion it was introduced in, an AA could have 3 levels, costing 3, 6, then 9 points. Then in another expansion, they'd add 3 more levels to it, and those extra levels would cost 3, 6, and 9. If you look at the expansion it lists an AA being from, it will change to a later one and the cost will often go down as you level an ability up. Also, there are major diminishing returns for some of them, as something that came with shadows of luclin is obviously not going to be taking into account the tons of changes that have happened in the game since then. It took a lot longer to earn AAs back then as well.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They are consumables that give extra stats to your visible armor. The stats they change depend on the type of power source (metal power sources give lots of AC for example), and is affected by the purity stat on your armor. Most higher level armor has a special aug slot for purity increasing augs. The maximum purity could be was 100 (75 on raid armor plus 25 from an aug), but the most recent expansion has 30 purity augs. Some better power sources are sealed, and your character needs to be flagged by finishing one of a few older raids to be able to use them. Power sources will slowly decay from 100% to 0%, but only while your character is in combat, so you don't need to unequip them when you're just standing around. At 0%, they stop giving stats and need to be replaced.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Very few items are clickable by non listed classes. The only two that come to mind are the original dark elf illusion mask and the ribbon of empathy.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Purple means that the aug is prestige, while the item itself is not, so you're only getting stats from the base item. I had a bunch of LDoN augs when I restarted after f2p, which are marked as prestige for some odd reason, despite being worse than just about every newer non prestige aug in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

Does the option to click from bags not apply if you're a F2P'er? I assume it was added in one of the latest expansions, not one of the first 17?

You need to buy VoA to do that.