Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Solarin posted:

Looks like they're making some changes to some epic choke points after many years of complaining from players.

Hah! It only took, what, twenty years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

bacon! posted:

Returning to EQ questions. For context, me and a very small group of friends (SHM, NEC, MNK, BRD + Clr/War mercs) last played in RoF, but have returned to check out some of the newer content. We’ve been leveling up on Brother Island, collecting random crap from the Bazaar and Briny Essences from local nameds. We’re all about 102-104 and on Test. Our goal is to play very casually and just have fun in new content. If this is all collected in a guide somewhere, would definitely appreciate that - googling for these questions yields terrible results.

- Is there an optimal use of our time for leveling / gaining AA, outside of grinding in recommended areas? (Daily quests, or other merc-friendly activities)
- Is any of the 1group content from RoF->Current particularly fun and worth checking out, or is any of it particularly terrible, or is it all about the same quality as HoT/RoF?
- Are there new abilities / perks / etc that are must haves outside of AA (for example, I see that you can give mercs gear now - does that actually make a difference at all?)

The missions for Call of the Forsaken and The Broken Mirror expansions net pretty good experience and allow mercs. For TBM you can gear up very easily through those via drops and purchasble gear (with the expansion currency Remnants of Tranquility). The COTF expansion will allow you to purchase the merc gear which is definitely helpful.

My advice having done similar as you is to take it slow because exp flies. Just try to work through a progression quest and try out the missions.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Any talk about interesting drops or people reaching high levels absurdly fast? I saw that ZaideGod streamer was like early 40s already as of a few hours ago.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

MF_James posted:

mischief is the only randomized/fv loot, I think, pretty sure thornblade is a regular rear end server.

Thornblade is identical to Mischief: https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-mischief-progression-server-2021

A streamer I watch plays on Thornblade and they get the random / FV loot.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Solarin posted:

and also because I love sharing knowledge about exploits: doors are a client side thing as far as EQ is concerned and you can straight up delete a zone's 3D object file and the zone loads with no doors (or any other non base geometry asset for that matter). It's one of the easiest hacks I've ever seen in an online game. I don't recommend it obviously but it is funny

What other objects does this method bypass, other than doors?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Fanelien posted:

House of Thule is around the corner though which is apparently a much better tuned expansion.

I love HoT, especially compared to Underfoot. I found almost all of the zones interesting and fun to explore through.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Devor posted:

My heart would always be racing when I would do drop transfers. I don't recall my go-to spots...

Mine was Katta Island. No one ever went there.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yeah that was a short stint in a heavy raiding guild around 99. They were ridiculous about making people work for everything.

To clarify, your guild would allow an item to rot if no one had DKP for it, rather than just give it to someone? How successful were they at raiding high end content?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

quote:

guild talk

It's funny in hindsight how EQ guilds were my first introduction to workplace politics in a way, as I was playing EQ and going through the sorta high end guild raiding experiences during college (back when PoP was the latest expansion). And in terms of guild application chat, I've definitely had jobs that had less stringent application processes than some of those guilds.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Where are the EQ live servers physically located? The latency I am seeing in-game seems abnormally high, like 110ms+, whereas "normal" for me in other games is probably in the mid 30ms range.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

I actually remember checking out the bazaar when that first went live in 2001 with Luclin... and my PC at the time ran at about 0.5 fps because it simply couldn't render all the hundreds of bazaar characters. :gonk: I think I had to turn the clip plane down to the minimum setting and then toggle to the top-down view to get any usability out of that zone.

The majority of my experience raiding in those days involved me staring down at the floor and not getting to actually see mobs like The Avatar of War because of the performance issues you highlighted.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RCarr posted:

The test server used to have some feature where you could type a command and it would automatically level you up to a certain level with a bunch of AA’s. I’m not sure what level it was or if it still can be done, but Test is free and has all the expansions (except for the most recent?) and a TON of quality of life stuff. If you don’t want to create a new character and HAVE to use your existing character you’d have to pay for 1 month of live, then log him on and type /testcopy and he’d be copied over. Then you could cancel your sub and play there for free as long as you’d like.

/testbuff sets your character to level 25 and provides some level appropriate gear, but I'm not aware of anything that powers up the character and assigns AAs. At higher levels there's an "Auto Grant" feature that you can toggle in the AA skills section that will automatically apply a bunch of AA skills.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

I'm in the mid-80's right now, if that helps. I don't really have a plan other than "keep grinding to level cap, also buy all the spells and tomes from the PoK vendors."

Mid 80s is great for HoT progression, if that interests you. It was introduced with the heroic characters (level 85) and there's a lot of quests you can do to acquire gear (plus dropped gear readily available), as well as the mercenaries. I ran my box crew through that on Test and found it a lot of fun.

https://hot.eqresource.com/progression.php

If you find that enjoyable, you can run through the progression in the following expansions (Veil of Alaris, Rain of Fear), although I didn't like VoA as much.

You might find that even running one additional box character (plus merc) will open up a lot of options for this type of approach. I was running 3-4 box characters plus mercs for a full group on Test and it really wasn't all that difficult thanks to simple macros.

If you can manage the 3+3 for a full group, there's a ton of content available (the above plus Call of the Forsaken and The Broken Mirror which are higher level but have missions that scale to your level).

I was trying to run through all of the expansion progression and was leveling too quickly even after max AAs to do it all. Exp on Test flies.

Edit: Send me a PM with your in-game name and any class(es) that you are interested in items for and I'll see if I have anything in a bag.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 16, 2023

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RCarr posted:

They don’t care about ShowEQ and HKN. (Don’t openly talk about either in game, obviously). They will definitely ban you if you’re caught using MacroQuest or ISboxer though.

Admittedly, I've never used it, but I thought ShowEQ was like... incredibly sophisticated packet sniffing software that was effectively giving you administrator level access to things that are not exposed in the game, like what items a mob has when it spawns, etc., where as MacroQuest and such are just making it trivially easy to run multiple characters. Based on that, I'd assume it would be flipped in terms of what would be ban worthy and what would be a "we'll pretend we don't know you're running that software" type of approach. Is my understanding incorrect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Baconroll posted:

Anyone else planning on playing on the 25th anniversary TLP in May - assuming they don't some up with some stupid ruleset ?

When do they announce the ruleset?