Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

iirc the BIS stuff only cares about HP or something.

Tank should go cultural except your BP you should be wearing TSS at least for current era.

you can use Lastblood augs instead of the new augs as the new ones just have some extra heroics and HP but no additional AC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

woah dunno how I double-posted but whatever.

For your healer you can roll older gear, I have 20k mana on my cleric and he's in mostly DODH gear with a few TSS items.

You can use older expansion gear on DPS too, AAs are huge though and getting those will boost your DPS a ton.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 27, 2023

MF_James
May 8, 2008

if you have any plat at all you can probably buy AC augs cheap, people will often sell older raid gear and augs for <1000pp because no one wants it anymore.

I know specifically I have the old ogre cultural armor up for sale (so warrior/SK usable), missing last blood augs, for I think 500pp a piece.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

everwake posted:

Are their reasonably up-to-date guides on how to play EQ? I've started and stopped playing multiple times over the years but I always hit a wall of either not knowing how to play a class, what to do with AAs, or what zone to go to. I'm not sure what server even makes sense to play on anymore or if multi-boxing is basically required to make progress after a certain point.

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but Googling hasn't given me any real definitive answers.

What do you want to do? Are you willing to pay for an account or three?

IMO if you're willing to shell out for an account or two, Mischief is the way to go, it is the most populated server, extremely healthy, gear is cheap and we're at a good catch-up point (apparently in a couple expansions it gets harder from skill/aa bloat and raid perspective to get caught up), but you need to pay for an active account either via monthly sub or krono.

Other option is Test.

I doubt there's any really good guides for playing Live right now it seems folks kind of gave up on that kind of stuff after DODH era.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

So, that version of multiplicity that was linked earlier with the fix for the satellite/secondary computer mouse clicks registering on the primary computer, works great but introduced a new issue (for me) I'm curious if others are having it.

When I go to "unload multiplicity" aka close it, it won't close unless I restart the services first, even if I have JUST launched it fresh, anyone else having this problem?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah the luclin->PoP launches are brutal, I forget our clear times for both but they were extremely fast and I was loving dead tired.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Baconroll posted:

Well done !

Am I right in thinking that Summoner's Ring (or circle) isn't needed for the progression to request the Ikky raids ? I've read a couple of recent posts on guides that say its only needed for BiC. Would be nice to skip that for now...

Correct, that event is only for BiC

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Everyone is still on mischief, though krono is over 1million at this point which is disappointing, it jumped about 600k-800k in 1-2 weeks :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

If you don't want to be stuck with the broken UI changes, you need to use a "custom" UI.

You don't even need to use an actual custom UI, just create a second copy of the default UI folder (obviously it will be named differently), load that as your UI and it will not use the dumb broken garbage they pushed to live.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

If you're boxing a bunch of characters, I'd just do mages then if you don't want to deal with charming.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

I wanted to dust off my phinny bard (105, broken mirror bored me to death and that's when I quit). I figure my only option is to learn how to box.

Seems like MQ is the way to go. I got it logging in two new characters, got some of the basic plugins working.

But for the stuff to play your characters without having to set them up yourself, seems like the answer these days is kissassist macro, which is from a RedGuides sub? I know you can get mq for free, but is there a free kissassist or something comparable?

If you do sub to RG, what happens when your sub is out? Does your poo poo still work, just you won't get updates (meaning stuff will probably break at some point)?

AFAIK the macros will not check into a server or anything, some plugins might, but that's not what you're dealing with.

You could look into MuleAssist, it's the predecessor to KA, not sure if it's available for free, but it did stop getting developed at some point.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Druids are kind of rough to play until like PoP, though a bit better than they were in classic-luclin live era.

Druids are not played much at all because their healing is sub-par especially early on, lot of people have a druid box for buffs/ports though (or a wizard), and that carries over into raiding, we have like 120 active mains in our guild on mischief (and like 40-80 more that are inactive or semiactive) and of all those people only 4 are druids.

Wizards are OK, mana (and sometimes agro) problems at least through TBS.

All caster DPS is kind of sub-par until much later expansions, mages hold their own to some degree in MOTM era because of pets, but otherwise do a pittance of DPS compared to melee classes.

Apparently SOF is like a revival of caster DPS though, this is the expansion mischief is about to hit.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 23, 2023

MF_James
May 8, 2008

joem83 posted:

I got the itch recently so I leveled a monk and a shaman up to 77 on Mischief, and then had the bright idea to bring an actual tank into the group instead of relying on a merc. I leveled a dude up and I now have a 75 SK to go along with my monk and shaman. Two questions:

1. I did my 2.0 for my SK (surprisingly easy), is it worth it to get epics on my Shaman and Monk?

2. Are there any profitable things I can do with my 3 box team? I'm a little low on plat now after gearing up the SK.

Pro tip: Best Buy sells USB numpads for :10bux: that are awesome for multiboxing. I picked up a couple today and it really smoothed things out for me. I can put em right next to each other and hit the buttons on both at the same time with one hand.

Definitely get shaman 2.0 it's good forever.

Tradeskill items probably sell, otherwise not much sells afaik that's not current (and in some instances previous expansion) raid gear, other than twink items which don't really sell for a ton.

Not money related:

Get to 80 and do OMM missions (old man mckenzy), they're monster missions (so you shroud down to lower level characters that are geared appropriately), the group missions will drop a 600hp/mana item out of a chest that will transfer to the character you loot it on and you will also get 1 brew; the items are no drop as are the brews, brews can be used to purchase gear from OMM as well, you can also sell gear that you don't need that drops from the missions. Nothing else comes out of the missions with you. If you can get in on pugs or at least get TAs for the vox/naggy OMM raids, they give 2 brews as reward and they drop 2x 900-1000hp/mana items. I guess you do get like 1800plat for each group mission completion and some for raid as well.

I use mage/necro/cleric for the group missions but they can be soloed with the enchanter shroud as well.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

joem83 posted:

Sweet, thanks for the tips! I'll def knock out the Shaman epic then. This guide (https://www.eqprogression.com/shaman-1-5-epic-pre-quest-guide/) says that it's faster to just do the 1.0 vs the 1.5 pre-quest, is that still true?

Could I farm a Globe of Discordant Energy on my own with my 3 box team at this level? For my SK, I read through the 2.0 quest while I was camping something for my 1.5 and saw that I needed to go to Anguish. I assumed I couldn't do that on my own, so I resigned myself to just having the 1.5. Maybe 15-20 minutes later someone put one up for sale in the general channel and sold it to me off a corpse in Harbinger's Spire for 50k. I didn't even know it could drop outside of Anguish.

There's an event in ... harbringer's spire I think is the zone, top of the spire, it has multiple chances to drop an orb, there's some way you can prolong it and get more chances too if needed.

The mini nameds in anguish can also drop orbs, so can the raid trials in MPG, obviously you need 6 to pop the raid zones.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 10, 2023

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I can also do a quick anguish mini run for you if you want, doesn't take long with my group to knock it out, send Gegen a tell in game or shoot me a PM here and we can work it out; I should be around a good portion of today.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MG is still your best xp per hour unless you have an extremely decked out group, even then it's probably still better at 85 than any SOD zones.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

joem83 posted:

Jewel is just so easy, I can bulldoze that place for easy exp with a healer and 2 dps mercs, and the hot zone bonus puts it about on par with the exp in Loping Plains. I did pop in to MG when I just had the two box, but at level 75 the kills were slow and the risk was much higher, I've been meaning to try it again though. I went into Hills of Shade last night to try and get a couple spells for my Shaman but my 75 SK was getting smoked compared to the 77 tank merc.

Yeah depending on your actual gear level, it might be tough, I just destroyed a bunch of old gear, I'll see if I missed any on my banker or boxes that you can have.

I'd definitely wait till 80 to do MG without good gear.

I will actually be on in like 1-2 hours to do vox/naggy, if you're on and want to do the anguish run after, we might even be able to invite your guys to the task to at least get the completion rewards.

*edit* what is your chars name?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 11, 2023

MF_James
May 8, 2008

joem83 posted:

I went through a big chunk of MG last night with my group, it was definitely doable! I had some really bad pulls that I managed to survive, go go melee DPS tank. What makes that zone so good? Is it just that it's instanced, and has high level mobs? The exp got better as I went deeper in, but Atiiki was something like .4% a kill, where MG was .6%. My monk and shaman are closing in on 80 though, and my SK is 78 now. SK needs some AA grinding bad, but I am not looking forward to buying a bunch of combat agility/stability ranks, those are the most boring AA's ever.

My characters are:

Denhiss
Hisstopher
Thomhiss

So, each floor has a little item you can pickup so that you can teleport back to that floor, it respawns quickly (like every 12 seconds) and is at the very start of that floor when you port up just look around in the room you port up in for a little baggy.

Floors 3 and 4 are the money XP spots because they are the highest level mobs.

Yes, the fact that the zone is instanced + respawns is huge, plus they have lower HP than mobs in SOD (like half as much) so you can just mow through them.

Basically, when you can handle it, what you do is port directly up to floor 3, clear through it to floor 4, clear through floor 4 and then port back down to 3 and repeat the cycle.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Looking at the Live server progression FAQ, it sounds like Agnarr's ruleset is close to what I wish project1999 would expand to. Timelocked up to Planes of Power with Legacy of Ykesha and Lost Dungeons of Norrath included.

Might have to reinstall the Live client and check some of these servers out.

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-what-is-a-progression-server

Pretty sure that server is Dead As gently caress

MF_James
May 8, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

For a fun thought experiment, what is the modern used tool for this? I’ve never touched mq2, but yeah as an oakwynd player atm and someone who has played past TLPs.. it’s only getting more obvious and more constant.

MQ Next is what it's called now and they just use that, it handles all the automation via plugins/macros.

There are various builds out there, RG is the most popular but there are builds maintained in separate communities as well.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Waroduce posted:

50% Bonus EXP and a free level 100 character to all-access members for the 25th.

Pretty cool that they are going to start with Kunark, I like that alot! Alas, I probably ~ won't ~ be back unless there's a goon rush. Doing the raid scene on the TLP is alot of fun but alot of time.

Happy Anniversery nerds

I still think the number of fippy deaths is too low, unless that's just players killing him.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Malaria posted:

I got in right away on Oakwynd. Was nice. But some people in my guild waited hours.

I am debating on playing on Teek.

The whole endless unpunished cheating has really soured me on the live experience.

But I missed out on Mischief. I played on Thornblade and my guild fizzled out in early Kunark. I quit playing shortly after.

I'm thinking about joining the Faceless just so I can actually see a lot of the raid content I haven't seem yet. They will have numbers so it shouldn't fizzle out.

I'm just worried its gonna be filled with idiots.

Did faceless mischief, it was great; were there idiots? Yes. 80% of the guild was fine, the egregious asshats got booted out relatively quickly. Honestly if I didn't burn out I'd still be playing, I did the most recent expac launch with them, then fizzled out, gonna sell my accounts and probably never touch EQ again.

I'm not really a fan of the guy that is going to be leading the teek version of faceless though, he annoyed me; during PoP/GoD era on Mischief we used to BDA chain him to tank his DPS on raids, he quit during GoD or OoW iirc.

Also seemed like zaide might be done leading faceless guilds? I liked him, he's relatively good at leading the herd of morons and keeping them in line, also he said some of the most hilarious poo poo when you're 36 hours into luclin launch.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 9, 2024

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Shaman buffing is awful, but they're a super powerful class as said.

I would highly recommend maining a tank though, especially on a free trade server, it's so loving useful to have a tank that is geared to the gills, you can do any small man stuff you want, you can level a second tank to swap gear to if you're that hardcore about small man and you can tank any group content. Your other chars you can buy equipment for, tank stuff is the most expensive though.

Just lessons from mischief I learned; I mained a cleric until like... PoP or GoD and it was a huge difference maker when I swapped to the warrior w/r/t my ability to just go do group/small raid content.

Are they doing random loot as well or just free trade on teek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Anyone that can post a new invite link for the SA EQ discord? I know it's deadish but revives around TLP launched, with teek/ whatever launching soon I assume some folks are hanging around again.