Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Popping on around 8 est for a little exp session w Porter in the hole or maybe a planes grp

Ping us here or on discord if boys are around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any Yelinak goons planning on Grinding out some levels at the open of Kunark? Porter and I are looking at some PTO since we're both at the cap

Our Guild has set groups. But we kinda wanna meet some people before we agree to a day 1 - 3 leveling party with them

Related to expansions launching...
I don't remember how this works.

Kunark goes live and....we just get transported over there? Go hit Charbylis (spelling) and old seb right off the rip?

I recall we need keys for something and it'd probably be smart to pre buy my songs...do they just magically pop into vendors? So I should be standing by my song lady, buy all that poo poo port to wherever, get into kunark, get keyed for old seb and grind away?

There has got to be a little guide or checklist or can some write some words about what expansion go live looks like

In the mean time I'm 49.5 in the hole, going after that big 50 and than onto planes and dragons and raids

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Cool, we gotta figure out some Kunark grind spots and groups. Trak to old seb is most interesting to me.

Hitting the big 50, getting into the planes and open world raids prior to Kunark is where I'm at. Maybe be lucky enough to grab some stuff for my bard epic

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Back in the day on my very first character ever on an old compaq machine it would lag while on the boat and I would die in the middle of the ocean bc my machine couldn't handle zoning that quickly. I ended up re-rolling a ranger since I lost so much exp to that so life was pain all around.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Had a successful 3-man / 7-box (war, clr, brd, dru, shm, mag, enc) hate farm last night with sick drops: 3 Mage, 3 Enchanter, 4 Shaman, 2 Cleric and 5 Warrior including mage, enc, shm, Warr breastplates. Also about 10 blue diamonds 4 jacinths, 4 diamonds and 6 black sapphires.

Oggwhomp is wearing his silver skull tank top and his chain mail diapey. Suns out guns out!

Lol I was looking for you, you messaged me that one time and was like oh Oggwhomp tired maybe /q and I was like what's /q

And thats how I quit during the middle of a pull lmao

I've been parked in Hate all weekend trying to get any Bard armor and so far just have the gloves 😭 managed to kill the BP mob though destroyer last night and it dropped......the item for the pally epic

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Yeah. /q looks like you went link dead so you can /q, wait 15 minutes until your group finds a replacement and then you're free to do something else. Or you can just make up a lie, go /anon and then go do something else "oh noooooo guys, I've got wife aggro, you know how it is, so sorry, need to drop". This explanation would've been more interesting if you had asked Oggwhomp what he meant.

The group I invited you to was a hole CE group maybe? It was okay, not great, but we needed a puller. I think I ended up pulling on the enchanter, which is workable but not great.

I'll probably be in hate to finish gearing mag/enc/clr/shm/war after raids tomorrow and Tuesday. Our crew doesn't need bard gear so I'll keep an eye out for you.

I'll ping you if I see you online sounds good dude..I never mind running around with people and singing songs of Crack and haste and I'm not really interested in rolling on anything but the gear.

I'm Waroduce#9069 on discord too

E: I've been camped in hate and I just post in planar and ooc for a group and I've had a boxer or 2 pick me up and just be like uh follow me I'm doing this poo poo just give me mannasong and I'm like word homie bet. Sometimes they let me pull though and I'm getting pretty confident in dead zones.

Only done fear once and the guild only let the monks pull hopefully I can get in on that too tho.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

blatman posted:

I know the mobs are era appropriate in TLP hate but do they use the revamped zone layout where its just the 1 floor?

Pretty sure this is the case apart from like individual buildings yes

E: and there's a bunch of level 55 mobs there too though

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I almost always have mannasomg up as my rotation

My standard combat rotation is Restoration (how good is this heal actually??), clarity, verses of victory and some appropriate shield song idk I'm desperately fishing for planar gear before kunark but I've still only been playing for....2 weeks lmao.

I dual wield outside of raid content. Drums in raids.

I keep seelos on the bar

My other 3 songs are usually some mix of lull/charm/snare/attack slow.

I did juat get an mmo mouse but I gotta get some macros set up for sure 😅

E: I'm def learning the zone though I've done several lul/seelos vorpae runs out from the t2 area, I kinda know what leashes. I've taken a group deep into t2 without showeq or anything and gotten them out. I can tell the squad when we pick over where to move to leash the t2s that pop and smoothly operating as a group through 12 men is I think my happy place for sure. Very rewarding haha

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Been doing some Planar raids over the weekend and ALOT of open world Hate. The respawn timers are so slow though. I made friends with a pretty friendly ranger who was boxing it up there who invited me for mannasong and I got my Imbrued Vambraces.

Made friends with a guildee whose also boxing who was killing time and we ended up EXPing with his boxes off the level 55's and pulled some of the equipment dropping mobs out of the inny area. Fighting down there is real frisky with some of the wanderers but I'm starting to feel really comfortable in the PoHate. I've still only ever done PoF and PoS once. Managed to get the Bard rapier (how good is it really?) and the Imbrued Greaves so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

My PoS experience with my raid was not great, they had alot of people show up and it feels like right now we're mostly just brute forcing these encounters. split into 3 raids and I think we got put into the short bus raid. It seemed a little janky at start but off we went. No one volunteered to pull so I was going to volunteer since none of the monks had comms but I noticed I was in a caster group so I figured just playing mannasong and letting someone else step up since it was my first time would be an intelligent decision. Cleared the first island and got told to invisi up and we'd go to the next island....so I started playing my invisi song to be helpful and broke all of the enchanter pets. Because I was the enchanter battery...and I didn't check the raid groups and no one told me so LOL. a lesson learned.

Got through to island 4 pretty seamlessly and I even won the bard belt for 3 whole DKPez. I got whispered its not worth that much but its the minimum bid and i was happy to get a cool little 15% haste sash with some stats on it.

Med break gets called, people get told to do keys and i go pee. I'm being a good little battery and standing next to the enchanters and the cleric and than the call goes out to move islands so i meander over to the guy and.....

he despawed. So I and like 3 -5 other people just drop from raid and leap off to E freeport and i hosed off to play Destiny lmao. Talk about blue balls, i guess jokes on me for not turning in the key but i didnt know that despawner timer was so aggressive smh.

Looking foward to Kunark though, been reading some guides and stuff and it seems like we'll be spending alot of the weekend in Chardok. I think we're leaning toward NOT doing a guild leveling group since we want to be able to hop around and keep our own hours a bit.

LOL they have server maintence though that day

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What are you Yelinak nerds doing for Kunark. I'm off it'd be cool to get some good shenanigans going

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Our guild just culled a bunch of people and I'm a little nervous about being a main bard. They seem to have a high expectation related to like knowing things which for a raiding guild is what I expect but I hope the newbie support is there. We were doing Inny and we had to get DMF last night and I pinged a necro who apparently is fairly senior? and he was like woah why dont you have junk buffs or any cleric or druid buffs and told me when I get up into a raid that I should ping druids for them. Hopefully they give me enough of a runway to figure out the norms.

I've been chatting the lead bard up and trying to show I'm inquisitive and want to learn since I do so hopefully thats enough.

I managed to get the half elf mask for 3DKP yesterday off inny which is nice and like #3 BIS currently and listed through Kunark so I'm feeling good about that and the ~general~ state of my gear. I'm missing the imbruned BP, a better bracer (1x hero/1x runed mithril), and actual earrings that matter to me.

I still can't wear my stupid 45lb shoulder pads though without encumbering myself jfc

I have a friend re-regging (as a necro) and porterhouse is gunna spin up a cleric + wizard box that I'm going to try and powerlevel with my bard starting the week after kunark if anyone wants to hop in on that. I think some of you guys were talking about that and it's essentially -> I pull a bunch of stuff, cast AOE slows and stuff for aggro and let the group murder things off of me essentially?

I have the bard I like maining and I guess I need to figure out if i want to keep doing that, or if I wanna PL something else and box the bard. I'm debating Monk/Mage or some other caster since pet tanking seems pretty viable for the foreseable future despite my desire to go SK its probably semi useless.

Our hypothetical group if we manage to PL everyone and keep everyone engaged is Wizard, Cleric, Bard, Necro and my wild card I need to decide. Monk for pulls and boxing the bard seems viable or keeping the bard going and doing like a mage or something thats less braindead than wizard.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So it dispells your first received buff first?

So you want...junk and THAN you want DMF?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Oh sorry porterhouse is the the chanter

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I need to get my pick lock skill up to 200 for kunark. I happen to have 235 skill points....any reason i shouldn't dump them into pick lock?

Will I need sense/disarm traps or some other skill (sneak?) as a bard for content at some point in the future? Googling doesn't make it seem as much of a thing as being able to pick locks in the various Kunark dungeons and for VP.

Is there a handy tlp pick lock leveling guide around if dumping my stat points is a bad idea?

I've seen befallen till like 190 and train it or some door by the AOC in paineel?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
LOL so our guild blew up bc half the leadership team wanted to contest OW bat phone style and the other half don't

I can post some of the drama later, but what guilds are you guys in on Yelinak? I'd like to see VP and raid and stuff still. Just not sure where to go :(

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

rally posted:

To be fair contesting ow targets in kunark is pointless

I'm sitting in the sauna at the gym so I'll post some words since drama and EQ are comfortable bed fellows and I would encourage Tropic and Ouro to post their recollection.

The lead up to Kunark had poo poo pretty sweet imo. We were like farm status raiding Sky, all the planes and all the various raids on a m/w/f schedule. I was helping people with Epics and hunting the last few imbruned items I was missing for the kunark open, but I was pretty close to top 3 BIS across my gear. Were putting two if not 3 full raids into dead zones regularly and I thought everyone was pretty happy.

Some OW calls went out for dragons and stuff that seemed like 50/50 as to happen or succeed. NBD, people are away before the new expansion etc etc. Well have em on farm in kunark for epic purposes and stuff.

Kunark was opening and the leadership posted a massive like 30 or 40 (someone remeber?) DKP bonus which is the equivalent of like 5 - 8 raids worth of DKP for the first 20ish people with tiered r e. Ward for the top 50 lmao. A post goes into the login message with some words to the affect of "you're useless to us if you're not 60, get on it" . Pretty clear prioritization and incentives there.

Everyone gets off and to the races and starts leveling. The core "super serious" group finishes in around 24 hours, straight through with static groups and camps and oob help. Yay good for them. All or a significant portion desire to contest the first OW spawns for VP key purposes (I think, this is mostly second hand) and a big Call To Arms goes out for DKP and leadership is heavily messaging guild chat to come help RIGHT NOW.

I'm actually ahead of the leveling curve at this point. Sitting around or just north of 55 well past ~most~ of the guild so...... just ignore it. I've got a nice group in a nice camp and I figure it'll be a 3 hour mess that probably won't succeed and I'm more valuable at 60.

Some of the guild shows up and others don't and I don't know how it gets started but the leaders are pissy for not showing up and members are pissy they've been told to level and focus only to be pressured to leave their groups and camps to come help something maybe we succeed at and drama starts.

Leadership gave clear instructions, trying to switch to OW contests mid stream, and people who don't have boxes, oob help, camps reserved and all the help these very serious (tm) vets have are possy they're being asked to leave group that may have taken a while to get (hello rogues). Even as a bard sometimes it take 15mins to get a group so I'm sympathetic. 😅

Some more things happened here which was a bit behind the scenes from my seat in the back of the bus related to like OW targets, the number of non mains in the dkp reward list (your 5 box crew doesn't get 30 dkp gently caress off)and some bank/spell shenanigans and how if you weren't 60 by last Sunday night you get 0 dkp

There was more but I don't remember, the leader stepped down, some officers removed themselves from the dkp list idk.

So last night (yesterday) ~something happened~ and at 2.30AM EST they removed all channels from the Discord server apart from 1 and put out some very soft language about their aims and the hard-core group started their own cool kids guild and the other half who like by the way are still poopsocky by most definitions put out their own and now....our guild is ded

🤷‍♂️

I'd really like to see VP and I need help getting keyed 😓 I was enjoying the guild and being along for the ride. Sad.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Lol. Victorem V, right? Wild.

Pillage and Plunder we're on Aradune and didn't seem that bad. I'm in <Warm Bodies> and the name delivers, but I'm mostly playing with a crew from Aradune that was leadership from <Qeynos Militiamen>. QM had a couple other goons in it and was mostly cool people, WB is solidly mid. If you want in, talk to me first. They said 8:30 EST to 12:30 EST MTTh.

Might take you up on this thanks!!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Malaria posted:

I ended up quitting Yelinak like a week before Kunark dropped.

The overall attitude of the server seems awful. Bot groups literally everywhere. People just being dicks in general. Kind of a bummer.

The thought of VP keying or just keying in general with the amount of assholes on Yelinak kinda killed my will to play more.

I did bank a ton of Krono. I will hopfully play the next TLP, and I hope it has Mischief type rules.

I played on Thornblade(Mischief clone) awhile last year, and I really feel like the extra loot plus free trade really kept the overall server attitude much nicer. I never had anyone try to steal camps or harass me on Thornblade. I ran in to some rear end in a top hat doing something lovely to me/my group almost every day on Yelinak.

I was in Legacy in Progress. They raid at 6pm PST 3-4 days a week. They are a nice bunch, it's a more casual guild but we did clear all of classic. I'd recommend them if you are looking for a guild.

I am sorta kicking the idea of playing on Thornblade again, but I hear the server is pretty dead. Could possibly pay for a transfer to Mischief I guess.

aw man, playing with you was super fun, thanks for helping us out when we got started. We really had an easy go of it bc of you <3

Mischief rules would be fun for sure. I'm probably going to try to stick around a bit to get through Veeshan at least and my original intent was to play through PoP. I will say lots of people I've talked to have said this server is kind of lovely, people are rude and everything is too expensive lol.

I think we're gunan throw in with the hardcore kids since they're gunna need numbers and I've nothing to do video game wise until the new Destiny raid drops or Darktide comes out.

I do have to say that I forgot how long you spend at 60 between Kunark and PoP but I guess the AA system in Luclin will give everyone something to EXP for again. I've never done a TLP and it seems very much like there's alot of waiting around in Kunark and Velious if you're at level cap and we only have 8 weeks in between expansions lol

is Kunark/Velious essentially like....get Keyed for VP/Sleepers, log in to do raids since the equipment expires so quickly once Luclin and PoP hit?

I'd really like to level during Velious or Luclin so I think PLing our alts/boxes to mid 30s (probably where I cap out as a bard) is a good use of time and than pushing through to 60 on those expansions will be fun. I have strong memories of Tower of Frozen shadow in Velious and the Luclin leveling was pretty fun IIRC.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The VP key is dumb and bad why would they keep it this lovely 20 years later

i've been sitting at the same spawn point for 6 hours and i am now 3rd in line

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The guild drama seems to be relatively shaken out and the hardcore kids we've paired up with seem to be pretty focused on having one raid team and quality instead of zerging content. It does mean we're relatively out of the OW stuff unless we happen to have enough people on to challenge or notice a mob up while we're on doing other raids. The trak's tooth bottleneck is the real deal, especially bc we haven't been able to challenge OW so we can only key with whatever our one DZ Drops. Curious to see if we can possibly split him but idk.

Resurgence seems to be emerging as the top guild on the server. I've grouped with a couple of them during the leveling grind and they're fine but lmao they've been the most common rear end in a top hat during the VP key grind. Have had a few of them show up to various camps like VKR/Dreadlands and just try to KS it. Luckily, I've always had a guild or pug sitting around so haven't quite been pushed off anything yet.

I'm down to needing pained soul but holy cow the VP key is painful and the loot isn't even good and isn't relevant at all in Velious.

Got pretty lucky with the ground spawns, gotten both of them just right out from under people within an hour or so of showing up. Literally spawned at someone's feet and I just mosey'd on over and did a little click. I feel like people park AFK there and just gently caress off where as I was scanning/running around pretty actively.

VSR was a bitch, I did that while at work and was in that stupid camp from like 2 PM EST - midnight. Got my drop around 8 or 9 but we had people constantly showing up to KS/contest so I stayed to help the DPS race.

I ran my first DKP event last night while the cool kids did the first two dragons in VP, organized some AJ farm in FV which was...miserable for the first two hours or so and than we got 3 pops in an hour and got everyone keyed. The groups happened to end up being....really good for this LOL. 2 bars, 2 necros a cleric and a mage and we split 3 and 3 with sense undead and seelo's getting the kills for us.

If this wasn't my first TLP and very much a tour of the game I enjoyed in my youth I wouldn't even bother. If I play another TLP at some point, I will def be skipping right past VP and probably wouldn't even play until Kunark/Velious despite how much I enjoy PoF/PoH (sky is boring and long but maybe thats because the guild has it on farm status).

Moving foward it seems like Kunark and Velious are like....show up to raid night, finish epic, after epic log in for....raids and?? I've also heard the Velious DKP scene really sucks due to alot of the equipment being ALL/ALL.

This is probably primetime to spin up an alt and finally do that powerleveling we were thinking about but I find myself kind of just waiting for Luclin to drop for AA's. EQ to me in its purest form is group content and dungeon crawling and there is no reason to do any of that for the next.....3-5 months lol. I'm enjoying the raid scene so far (gotten alot of good loot for minimum bids) and the tour of kunark VP key is taking me on and running around for my epic is nice to see the content but man.....I miss EXP grouping. This post epic/post 60 into Velious time to me seems pretty dead honestly.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ya boy got his bard epic. I've been pretty lucky getting my piece tbh. The plane stuff wasn't bad,gotnalot of the guts from guild dzs. Lucky with the red guts out kunark, grabbed iodf age farming his stuff. Did black wing myself and then got the horn off the cyclops by just asking for it.

The guild coughed up the dragon scales immediately dude logged on ans Gabe em.to me bc they want it for vp tomorrow. Should be our first full clear

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm a bard and was paired with a necro and cleric who were doing sense undead things and I seelos'd us around. 3 in 3 hours.

It does seem quite lovely if you aren't one of the classes above

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm semi interested in Velious to just see the raids but my fav way to play EQ is group leveling and dungeon crawling so I'm going to probably just do the minimal amount of raid logging required until than.

I did like leveling I'm Velious back in the day but now that since i hit level cap the week Lunark dropped and burnt out doing VP (never again) im not really interested in dragging an alt all the way up :effort:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone have any words about Bard gearing or what to look for? I've heard the necklace is very good for me and charm. Apart from that eqitems just seems to suggest mostly VT stuff.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Trip Report:

The 3 Amigos:

Better shot:

im the big rear end cat in front of everyone trying to get a photo

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 10, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The PoP launch was really fun and I had a great time. It quite the realization of a childhood dream for me and I think our guild threaded the needle between being "hardcore" and realistic with everyones time (to a degree) and need to sleep which made the whole thing really enjoyable. I joined this whole thing a bit off a whim in Vanilla and finding myself starting Quorum 3 days after launch was never a position I thought I'd find myself in.

Ouro and I managed slid into a static with two guys we didn't know who were friends but boxing a Wizzy/Cleric and Ranger/SK which rounds out our ENC/Bard combo quite nicely from a damage and off tank perspective. They ended up being really cool and we've kept the group going to explore and farm parchments which is really nice. None of us had direct PoP launch experience so we were all trying to research and figure out what to do but the guild dropped a bunch of really great guides and how-to's in the discord which helped. We also did the whole test tour thing so everyone kind of knew what was going on and where the seer/dwarf/books and first tier of like POJ/POS stuff was which made me feel much much better.

We slid right into a justice trial and after def not failing due to being spread out and not playing any group content for a while we passed and went into the PoStorms. We started farming the BoT key and exp-ing a little while the guild rotated through camps and essentially tried to farm the zone out for access. I think we had the first group on the server in BoT which is pretty cool but our group had TERRIBLE luck with some of the drops and our group was quite late. I can't even recall what else we did that opening night but we called it around 4ish EST I think and slept for about 6 hours.

Woke up, logged on with morning coffee and I believe the second day started with the Mithanial Mar/HoH stuff since we did that open world IIRC. Most people were floating around level 61/62 at this time but we started pushing progression all together and basically rolled through T4's. We actually first timed everything except one of the Zek fights due to some positioning shenanigans but it was pretty wild trying to down everyone up to T4 at 61/62. It was such a blurr but seeing all the zones and crawling them with the guild has got to be one of my fav moments. I picked up the first ornate BP mold I think to swap out my lovely 25AC Luclin chest I got from farming AA's off a random mob so I was quite happy.

The push ended once we got to fire Saturday and we all broke out into small EXP groups for a bit. We went with our stack of level 61/62's straight to C2 and it was super intense because those guys hit like trucks when your 6 or 7 levels under them but quite fun.

On Sunday, the 65's started clearing some of the DZ's for progression while the rest of us EXP'd and joined the main raid force as we hit 64/65. We camped fire which was rough but we were pulling down almost 1% a level at C2 at 61/62. Got to 64 and rotated in to start helping and got to see Earth, Fire, Air and Water. I really love Water, air was kinda meh I don't remember much I think we joined this one in progress.

The Earth encounter was super cool, the level of coordination was really impressive to see and I was the bard who played his AOE slow to keep everyone in combat. We had some unlucky mezz breaks at the start but we got a handle on it and managed to first time it which was super cool to see. I can't imagine trying to coordinate and figure that out back in the day.

Zoning into Time was an incredible feeling, just getting to see it and be there was awesome for me. We managed to first time everything up through Tallon Zek IIRC but many of us were 64 and it was like 2AM in the morning and we decided to call it after a few attempts since it was just getting messy. Not alot of margin for error in that one the first time through.

Our static needed to get to 65 so we ended up popping a 2 hour 75% exp pot and hitting tables in fire which FLEW us through 65 thanks to Ouro's charm pet. At the end though it was like 5AM EST and I was very smooth brained from pulling at a breakneck pace. Tables is a great camp though we eneded up clearing that entire fortress area thanks to charm and I got to become acquainted with fading memories.

Pass out, wake up, online early afternoon and we first time Tallon and roll straight through Quarom. First time him and took the screenshots. It was absolutely amazing.

I also manged to snag this:

which is also a server first if Resurgence didn't get one on their clear so we are two lucky goons. I rolled against one of our tanks for this and didn't realize but he was a little mad bc apparently its a good hate generator. I was working off the EQ progression list and saw that it was #1 offhand with Songblade of the Eternal in the main and bid. I honestly would have let it go to him had I known but :/ just dislike taking things from our tanks. I'm putting together my preferred end of PoP equipment I'll probably ask for feedback on here. I don't really understand EQ gearing and like BiS from a numbers perspective and BiS from a functional persepctive. I do know I need to replace my armor with instrument mods so I can get rid of my now poopy epic.

It was wild and I'd do it again.....in like 2-3 years LMAO. Right now, I feel like the game is just getting fun and I'm at a good point in the power curve and I am pretty stoked for GoD and whatever else is after LDONN. What are the LDON/GoD launches like? do you clear through or are they longer things that unfold across a few weeks?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ya if you roll on our server we can help you out. I'm sitting on a bunch of classic/kunark and luclin gear I could throw you depending on class which will tide you over through the initial exp journey

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Update:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
1 grouped the royals and a bunch of names in Chardok helping a friend for the cleric epic. Was super fun to crawl around very op

Kinda wanna do that for maybe seb or a luclin zone now hmm

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
just gunna park a bard somewhere and play the aoe slow song and keep the camp nbd lmao

auction loot rights in ooc while you seelo's around and send the group invite once someone meets your price

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

9 hours! was super fun

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My original EQ experience was as a ranger. I'm on a tlp now and have been playing since classic. Seemed it's pretty rough till Luclin, but than you're amazing in PoP and still pretty good in GoD.

Vanilla is alot of group tanking content if they can't find a better one. I feel like sometimes it might be hard to get groups but probably depends on the server. Lots of speed bumping or eating death touches in raids or as a group off tank keeping healers alive. I recall sitting in ooc back in the day lfg tho.

Root pulling is viable but not as good as a class that can lull or fd.

You can def have fun and be a great utility group player though. I enjoy the kit but there are better classes for the Vanilla - Velious experience. I would maybe spin one up and get him positioned to raid in Luclin though so he's sitting pretty and ready to be on dps charts in PoP.

If you want a hybrid meele, SKs are amazing.

Bards are always welcome and you'll do alot of pulling. I had great success finding groups just popping on the /lfg. Pretty easy to whisper someone if they have a box bard and slide in too. Espc if you plan on joining a raiding guild, it's a nice way to fill out a more experienced box crew.

If you just wanna mess around and don't really plan on doing the raid scene or sticking through the later expansions I would just do whatever you'd have the most fun with.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if they'd ever do a TLP with Vanilla and Kunark unlocked at the same time. If they have, how did it go?

I think the itemization might be a little wonky, but I feel like you're going to need semi-geared toons to drop Trak and get into some of the better loot tables which would give players a reason to do PoSky/Hate/Fear.

It also opens up alot more viable leveling spaces for that like late 40's-50s grind instead of sitting in The Hole or SolB or whatever.

What does the ideal TLP look like after this long?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Coolnezzz posted:

I think I've gotten bored of Mischief after a month and I'm kind of interested in seeing how much of a shitshow Oakwynd is going to be. I feel out of my element playing on any EQ server post-PoP, even though the no-drop and loot rules of Mischief are really enjoyable for me. I wish I had stuck with it when it first released instead of trying it out now.

Will probably end up 6-boxing on Oakwynd next week, probably my usual group makeup of SK/SHM/BRD/DRU/MAG/MAG. I've always run a classic "holy trinity" group makeup when boxing but am curious about other group makeups. Maybe main an enchanter with a cleric/bard/other caster boxes and no tank? Not sure how that would go, does anyone else run a non-tank/non-standard based box group?

Pet groups are super strong and usually very fast. I mained a bard while my friend mained a chanter. We were a pretty dangerous duo but we befriended a cleric/enchanter boxer in like Mistmoore who we ended up grinding through low 40's with before we went to the hole. You really only need the cleric/enchanter duo to be a leveling powerhouse though. Where you level is largely dictated by the chanter pet since it does insane damage in classic. You move as the enchanter or mage can get better pets. Pet tanks everything, use snares/root if the cleric pulls heal aggro. If you level where undead are like unrest and mistmoore and guk the cleric is pretty viable damage too i think. Some people like slotting a pally in for heals/rez.

It can be a bit annoying to pull and keep an eye on pet breaks and health bars though. You can fill this out as you like but a bard to lull, pull, sing and give you an extra mezz button is nice. How deep you get with the bard vs set it and forget it melody + autoattack is up to you. I main bard and I enjoy pulling group content so the cleric/enc boxer and my friend could just do caster things and mezz the +1/2's I'd serve up on the exp train. The bard also offers nice quick CC on enchanter pets.

I recall this group comp from this video being pretty interesting even if you aren't rushing. The first maybe 2mins is about the group comp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx03DmHD5zI
Cleric, Enchanter, Mage, Mage, Necro, free slot

Usually the free slot is your puller. Bard is super strong for regen, run speed, and very fast pulling. Mage/Enchanter good for more damage. If you want a taunt button SK is pretty good and can pull too.

I might roll a monk or pally. Those seem interesting...maybe box w/ a bard/shaman/wizzy or something to give that a shot. I've heard Monk/Shaman is a really easy starter set up.

I'd be open to some launch weekend grouping though, its always more fun with people and I wouldn't mind just doing a single character either.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I made a little personal server back in the day for eq grouping on yelinak launch. Seems like we have some interest in the thread so I cleaned it out and tided it up a bit

maybe we can use it for shenanigans over launch weekend

xxx Discord exists xxx

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 20, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Coolnezzz posted:

We also have an EQ TLP Goons Discord which was used a lot during the Mangler and Selos eras.

https://discord.gg/ADPhVtZtq6

I'm up for doing a static group, I'll probably roll multiple characters, one set to play with you and others and another set during times where no one is available to play, since the server is encouraging alts on the same accounts. Either Discord would be fine and maybe we can get some others to join if anyone is interested!

oh i didn't know this existed ill jump in here than if this is where the goons are!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Bard also jack of all trades, with invisi, speed and regen. easy to group with if you just wanna see older stuff your charm will murder zones and get picked up out of lfg

You'll be expected to pull tho

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so how did all the dupe/plat shenanigans shake out?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Apart from trying my hand at boxing for the first time ever, I didn't really do much with oakwynd apart from get to like 20 with my lil box crew. I really enjoyed the classic-PoP experience on Yelinak and I did the GoD launch but sort of lost interest after.

I'm def open to reliving the classic-pop experience, it was some of the best gaming experiences I've had ever. Especially launch days and like seeing PoHate and Fear for the fiest time in 20 yesrs, getting keyed for VP and doing all the things. It's a shame about the economy but hopefully they put together a good TLP gimmick next time around.

I'm tempted to box again in the future but I was able to slide into ALOT of box groups and random crews by just being a bard who pulls good. It was pretty easy to ride the exp train by telling nerds boxing characters that they could chill and I'd feed em mobs. My concern with boxing is fitting into groups since while it might be more efficient to be independent and roll exp, the thing that keeps me coming back is the intensely personal experience of grouping with random nerds in a very dangerous place where the consequences are real and everyone has a part to play. Kunark launch and being one of the first crews in Old Seb getting items and the mess that is 7 overpopulated instances of Chardon opening weekend is a very fond memory of mine.

I think a large part of it to was having a friend (Oroborealis/porterhouse) to share the xperience with and a stroke of luck with Tegridy putting us into a very end game, perennially top 3 guild on the server we got to grow up with.

I hope the economy evens out and the next tlp has a good gimmick.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

RCarr posted:

Yea I had a blast playing with you two. That guild was the best experience I’ve ever had in EQ and really made raiding enjoyable.

The shaman/monk thing was so rough for you ☠️ but yeah our little trio progging the new expansions was amazing