Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I re-installed this last night just to run around on my 85 rogue w/ 1050 AAs, which a friend of mine had been boxing as a DPS a couple years ago. Wasn't really sure what to do or where to go so I ran over to Kael and killed Vindi, for some reason I thought it would be difficult. None of my friends are playing anymore (go figure) but I might get around to doing my 1.0 epic (this was a 51/50 server reroll) or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
My brother and I are thinking about picking EQ back up again to mess around. We both played from like 1999-2006 and a bit in 2008-2009. We both plan to 2-box, though I might 3-box.

Is SK/Bard/Mage or something/Druid/Berserker/Cleric merc a terrible group? Or should one of us plan to actually box a cleric? Are the DPS mercs terrible? (This would probably sway my decision to play a 3rd character).

We'll probably just level to 85-90, get some AA and then do old stuff like epic 1.0-2.0s & wander through whatever old raid content we can 1-group. I'm not sure if he really wants to play on test, though, but I'm trying to push him that way (so we don't have to pay for like 5 accounts).

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I ended up making a magician on CT because I kind of like the regular progression and challenge.

We're both up for the normal leveling path & not getting to cap in like a day with the xp bonuses. My only concern is that on a live server, we'll burn out from grinding before we're functional enough to be able to duo all the old content we never got to see, etc.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I can always just testcopy if when it gets boring

This sounds like what we'll probably do. He said he "doesn't want to game-genie his EQ experience" but I really feel like by the time we've spent a month leveling we'll both be tired and end up test copying. Good call.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

Not sure if the group gear tanking game has changed for knights (I know it has for Warriors and they no longer have issues) but you and I saw repeatedly that even with solid gear and full augs, PC group geared tanks are pretty rough.

How do warriors compare to the knights these days? I seem to remember that SKs were kings and paladins were laughed at just like rangers, but of course this was years ago. I'd rather play an SK (for thematic reasons and also because I played a undergeared warrior in the days of stand here and press kick sometimes) but if warriors or paladins are significantly 'better' I wouldn't mind rolling that instead.

acumen posted:

I'm still rocking Roost on Test server, and have been fairly active over the past couple weeks playing with some of my (non-goon) friends. Let me know if you want an invite for whatever reason.

Thanks for this. We'll probably roll on EMarr for now since I have 400k laying around, but if we make it to Test I'll see if I can't hit you up.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

I have four toons on E.Marr, holler at Gerrymander or post your char's name here and I'll find you for groups (hard to PL with a lvl 45 rogue, though :-) ).

I'll do this once we get going. It's going to be a few weeks before we get started, unfortunately.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That UI and the fact he is clicking everything. :negative:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
e: nevermind

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Obviously it varies by class but what sort of group makeup/gear/aa would really be required to get orbs for 2.0 epics these days? Could a couple heroic characters do it? I did AoA once when it was relevant and haven't been back since but my bard is approaching the end of the 1.5.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You can kill Brother Qwinn (in Eastern? Karana) or Brother Zephyl (in Rathe Mountains) and skip having to camp Raster and Targin, as they drop Robe of the Lost Circle. You still have to camp Karnors & Chardok pipes as far as I know, after that its pretty much just fights.

e: not sure you ever had to talk to Cazic? I could be remembering wrong.

e2: It's probably much faster to just do the 1.5 prequest - I camped the Chardok pipe on and off for a week recently and never saw it.

suuma fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 16, 2014

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
A couple of us hang out in the serverwide channel in the OP.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Is there a consensus or list somewhere of all the classes with epics that are worth doing at this point? It seems like everyone agrees that Necro and SK 2.0s are essential but I can't decide if its worth doing the Paladin one, among others.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

I did not think the tank merc could handle either mob, but in all honesty most epic guides were written ten years ago. I also was wanting to get my epic around lvl 51-55, around which my tank merc would not be able to handle the high lvl General. Renux is only 50, but is a real monster with that clockwork poison. If she spun my tank I don't think I would last long as a rogue.

Finally I am too nervous to try and camp out without agroing either mob so that the 85 SK can log back in. From what I remember both mobs will poof if they are not agroed within a certain (fairly quick) time limit.

Also, I am not on Test. I rolled on EMarr because it is the server I played on until I quit in 2004.

I'm on EMarr as either Caxide or Suuma and I can help, I can't guarantee a time I'll be on but if you see me on I don't mind coming to help.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Midnight City posted:

My pally slow leveling experiment is over after finishing the 1.0 and realizing the 1.5/2.0 are just as bad. gently caress whatever dev came up with that bullshit, I've done every other class's 1.0-2.0, most more than once and none of them come close to the level of bullshit that is pally's.

And you all gave me a ton of poo poo when I asked if the paladin epic(s) were actually worth doing. :smugbert:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I can't log on to check and it's been several years but the last vendor-only Make Poison recipe I can remember is Spirit of Sloth, which appears to trivial at 275. You may be able to find a ton of the components for the X-XVIII ranked poisons which all trivial at 450+ (see this list) on random vendors depending on your server, or maybe in the Bazaar if people bother selling them these days. They all use one-ish random zone drop poison piece + vendor components.

Make Poison was historically a rather big pain in the rear end/money sink but I guess a few expansions back they made poisons have more than 1 proc which is cool.

e: I realize this doesn't really help considering you want vendor recipes but the sheer volume of the poison components that drop in whichever zones might lead to enough being found on vendors. :ohdear:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Deleted your quest item you camped for 90 hours? Please reacquire through gameplay!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

larrydigital posted:

My current box team (bard/mage/druid plus 2 merc casters and cleric) is a lot of fun and is usually enough for me to do whatever I want in the game.

Lately I've thinking about subbing out one of the merc casters for an enchanter. I kinda think it'd be better in the long run (runes, nukes, twincast, etc) but I'm worried that there'd be a little too much overlap. Bard is my main, casters are keyed so they're pretty much fire and forget.

Thoughts? Good idea/bad idea?

If it were me I'd pick between bard and enchanter and only take one, but in a box group a bard can still be useful even if its just a /melody buff bot. I feel like you might want a tank, though?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Rapacity posted:

I'm slowly creeping towards 80 and I've read that level 80 is one of the best jumps in gear in the game. However, I think its talking about the abstruse stuff? I've been searching the bazaar (AB) for a week and not one piece of necro armour has been up for sale. Do I just have to hope that people list it or can I do something towards getting it myself at level 80?

I don't know about the Bazaar on AB but you may have better luck doing this, you're looking for the Glowing pieces that you just hand to a guy in PoK and get armor with stats pretty close to Abstruse.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

FranktheBank posted:

Edit: Thanks for quick reply!

Main reason I asked about class population is because I love tanking and raiding. If I were to get a little serious about Evercrack again, I would want to raid. From reading this thread, its possible for knights to MT, but it sounds like Warriors would make matters easier. I probably would prefer a knight, but I wouldn't want to compete for roles with people who haven't stopped playing since the turn on the century.

I could use my main account, the f2p one, for an afk bard? would 1 healer merc and 1 wizard merc with afk bard and playing warrior be able to deal? Should I try like Shaman on the f2p account for slows and buffs? How does Power leveling work? could I take a mob to 10% and FD on my main monk and have my warrior kill the mob for full xp?

Picking a race is gonna be the hardest part.

War/bard + healer/caster merc probably wouldn't be too bad until 75+ I'd guess. You can totally get a mob low and feign and kill it with someone else for xp, too.

e: It'd be a bit dull since a bard box and a warrior is basically just auto attack and /melody but I guess it'd work.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I didn't really stay on top of the last Prog server but I know they stalled out on voting several times, but it seems insane to project that this one won't open, like, PoP for at least 2-4 years based on that FAQ. I get that the point isn't to rush to current content or anything, but ... still.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I think Flavahbeast means server wide in the sense that everyone on one server is in the same General chat, rather than segmented by zones (the answer appears to be yes).

A year or so ago when I was dicking around on Test again it got pretty annoying, but that was mostly due to the same 5-6 people using general chat as their personal springboard instead of using it to sell/whatever (since it's Test). I imagine that on a live server it'd get annoying, though I don't know how Ragefire will handle that.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Tank mercs are alright until 75-80 and then their limitations start to show. SKs are probably the better tank as far as small group content goes, and generally recommended (which is why everyone has one).

Your group seems solid, but you'll probably want a real tank if you plan to go past 85 or so.

e: if you plan to do that you should probably drop the wizard for a wiz merc (not sure if dropping the magician is a better idea).

suuma fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 30, 2015

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Devor posted:

I guess I can get on board with bringing my SK back in. Having a real tank would let me go melee with my other dudes, which is more fun.

Someone suggested swapping out a wizard player for a wizard merc - any reason for that? Boxed wizard seemed pretty easy to use. Also gotta have those ports from that or a druid.

So right now I'm looking at:

Shadowknight - tank/leader
Shaman - haste/slows/sow
Bard - more buffs
Monk - fun melee
Wizard - ports and nukes
Merc Cleric

Wizard does more dps than wizard merc and sit stand sit isn't that bad, I only said it because your tank merc "slot" would be you playing a tank and wasn't sure how many boxes you really wanted to play.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
GoD was cool but lore-wise EQ kinda ended after OoW for me, since that was sort of an extension of GoD lore. PoP was also really cool from a lore perspective.

. My problem with GoD is how all the zones have names that were impossible to remember.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Was it a chat bug or did people always just type ")))))" instead of ":)"? I feel like the EQ chat would kick the colons off so people just started emphasizing the one parentheses.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
They haven't wiped Test in many years (like ten+?), so it's unlikely your characters are gone unless they were deleted by you (or if you were hacked or something?) at some point. There used to be a Everquest version of WoW's armory (if you're at all familiar) called EQPlayers but it seems it was discontinued, in the last couple of years, that'd at least have shown you server/class if you could provide the character name, though IIRC you had to opt in for it in-game.

You might have some luck submitting a ticket and asking (particularly if you can provide personal information related to the accounts) but given the state of the server side staff nowadays it's probably unlikely they'll be able to help you.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
General rule in terms of power gains in EQs history has been "Get levels, then AA" but in my small group of friends' experience, every time we'd level a tank we had to stop every 3-5 levels and max at least the available defensive AAs out just to avoid getting destroyed. Assuming you've been actively tanking your way to 95 you probably already know this, but it might be worth knocking a few hundred AA out, too.

If you're on Test or subscribed you should've gotten AAs autogranted up until 85 (?) at least, but I guess I don't know what levels the defensive AAs are ever really maximized at.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The lazy way is to make any zone that contains raid content (Permafrost, SolB, Kedge to use their examples) an instance but then people can just grind/farm the instanced versions for non-raid drops, which is good for the magebot groups and bad for those that just want the classic experience. Actually this might be good for everyone because it means there'd be a shitload of items from those zones floating around, so who knows. It's more likely that all raids will be done as expeditions and either all the named mobs in SolB for example aside from Nagafen won't spawn, but there'll still be all of the trash kobolds and the like.

The problem with TLPs now is that there aren't enough people to really balance numbers across multiple servers, like Live was in 2000, but there are too many to put on one so you end up with 100+ players in each zone. Boxing restrictions might help this, but anyone serious about boxing is just going to run multiple machines with ISBoxer anyway, so you'll still have 6 mage groups running around going nuts unless they nerf pets back to launch-level stats or make content hard enough to actually require other classes.

From a nostalgia standpoint I think a version of progression servers that followed all of the launch-current events like P99 would be more enjoyable, rather than having poo poo like super pets in from the start, but I'd like P99 more if it were going past Velious.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
^^^This sounds like it too, prevent people from splitting up your guild into 10 different instances of the same zone and then funneling no drop gear to specific people after they zone in to come loot it.

Loot lockout for named mobs that spawn in raid zones, like the named in Kedge or SolB?

I guess to prevent you from clearing the zone (or zoning in and checking for named with track) then requesting a new instance in order to force a re-pop, thus giving you another chance for named spawns?

suuma fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 3, 2015

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I mean you could set up 1-sec (or less) CHeal chains with like 30 clerics but it sounds like the raid instances actually have a 72 player cap now, which wasn't present in Vanilla at all.

There's also the long game: Since raid bosses don't have to be killed in-era for the server to progress, just wait 3 months, level up, then go back and do them like the non-bleeding edge guilds did on Live. The fact that raids are instanced and expansion locks are all 90 days might not remove a lot of the dumb SERVER FIRST!!! uber guild poo poo but will allow guilds to actually kill things on their own schedules.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Rangers are pretty bad til you get all of the Archery AA (so Luclin or maybe even PoP) and then go back to full time melee at least through Gates of Discord iirc.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Pilsner posted:

Another thing; I don't really understand the new gamma change they just made. When I disable the new "Enable Windows Gamma" option, EQ is way too bright. When I enable it, changing the gamma slider affects my entire desktop (two monitors).

What's the point of the new option? I play in windowed of course.

I feel like the "EQ is really bright" thing has been a thing ever since I started using the ALT+ENTER windowed mode they added it (Ykesha? probably earlier). I just got used to it by turning the gamma down some although it makes your actual desktop darker until you close the game. I never could find an actual fix/reason for it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Malt posted:

It's just a flat 50% or so slower. If it took an hour on Ragefire, it will take 2 on LJ. The static group I was in before we decided this wasn't worth it hit 15 after 16 hours with exp pots.

I think the problem I have with it is there isn't a point to it. This isn't a classic server, it's a true box progression server that for some reason is slow as gently caress despite its main features being for max levels. It's like those video games that just add a ton of health and nothing else to mobs on a higher difficult, its not harder its just annoying.

Yeah after a bunch of hours of "this sure is slow" I think I might just go back to 3-boxing on Test.

E: scratching the itch just isn't what it used to be, might as well play modern eq really.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

lemonslol posted:

the 85-105 game is def more than one hour a level. the 101-105 game especially.

At what point did you think not-even-classic 1-20 and 101-105 were really comparable

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

RCarr posted:

Has there ever been any custom made EQ zones or anything along those lines? It's a really cool idea and I would love to play a user created dungeon. I have no idea what technical aspect this would require but with 16 year old technology I would think it could be done.

Edit: Luclin models are terrible and should be ban worthy.

Most of the custom/emulated servers I've played on (so basically just Shards of Dalaya and The Hidden Forest) reuse old zones and then change up their mobs/items/intended level rather than making up actual zones. Dalaya is a little more fleshed out in that regard with a custom "main quest", though it used to have a 2-box limit and I doubt anyone really plays it anymore.

suuma fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 13, 2015

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Tai posted:

Think I might give this a whirl this evening.

Any class that's poo poo in the classic/kunark era? Been so long that I can't remember. Also, is there any class that's over populated to gently caress?

Rangers are trash in classic, full stop. They might be better now on TLP since there's some quality of life stuff that got left in but historically they're pretty bad til PoP or so. Casters are better than melee in classic and maybe early Kunark but rogues take off after that. Paladins are probably the worst of the 3 tanks and druids are good to have around for buffs but everything they can do another class does better, more or less.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

RCarr posted:

Druid/Bard are at level 15 now. Where should I head for xp at this point? I'm currently doing orcs in Sro. I tried Unrest but it's way too overcrowded. Also tried Upper Guk but it seems like the risk is higher than the reward. (Constant trains everywhere, cramped quarters)

I've also got about 100pp saved up now. What weapon(s) should I be aiming to buy for my bard? Go with the Forged Bastard Sword posted above, or is there something better I should look for?

Something forged or Fine Steel (not even sure when this is manageable to be honest) is probably your best bet for a while, but remember that bard melee never really gets relevant (no double attack until >Luclin, and that's with AA) so make sure you've got the cash to stay up to date on your spells/songs.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
IIRC on Sleeper/Combine or whatever the first prog servers were it was unlocked with like, Velious, but that may have changed for modern TLPs.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The guild thing says they're planning to not do that though? Unless there is enough people on to kill a target that spawned outside of their instance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
They're probably requested like the old raid tasks, the earliest of which was Gates of Discord era I think. Form a raid, raid leader tries to zone in and a raid task (expedition?) is formed using the raid UI, which means a cap of 72 players.