Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009
I suppose I should pop in the new thread and say I'm in as Benumpian/Jenumpian, the wonder mage twins of doom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Beo posted:

Ominous Latin Words is still my vote

This. 100% this. it's non-offensive, funny, and shouldn't violate naming policy.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Droid Washington posted:

I started an SK, and chose the healing merc because my logic is: I want to raise my defense and fighting skills, and if I let the tank merc do all the work, I'll end up high level and no defense/offense skills. Is this dumb and should I dismiss my cleric and get a tank to fight along with?

You can safely ditch the cleric until 55ish, then switch back. At that point, your skills will catch up fairly quickly. Really though, play how you want, just be prepared to spend a bit more time to get up in levels.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Ninkobei posted:

what the heck did you people do to the servers? and why have they been hyping such a terrible sale?

Hah, I want to know why they thought the sale needed a save the date email.

Side note: I knew you'd register here sooner or later!

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Let me guess - you're Ben, and Ninko is Lubanja?

(This is Bruman, btw)

I'm Ben/Jen, ya. I can only assume that Nink is Lub, I've seen that nickname before.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Ninkobei posted:

good god, can't I even get 2 posts in without my identity being revealed? well maybe with the servers down I will have a fighting chance to steal c2 lol. otherwise, who's up for some ashengate?

If I can get logged in, I'm in for some AG with both mages. They're 81 now, new pets, haste, and nukes!

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

xZAOx posted:

It's all good!

Seems the real +dmg ones for aug 4 are out of reach for me at the moment. So those are probably my best bet. 285 radiant crystals at 20pp a pop = 5700pp....I think I'll pass.

Send me a tell in game, I have 1200ish banked.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

SweeneyTodd posted:

So I'm gonna try this out. I've been following the thread and I'm deciding between Bard, Shaman, and Enchanter. I assumed Enchanter is a boxed buffbot because that was happening even back when I played (like pre-Kunark to Luclin).

Do you guys think I'd find a Shaman engaging enough with a tank merc to be worth leveling, or should I go with the Bard?

I will probably try both for a bit, which leads to my other question. If I want to try several different classes that aren't f2p available, am I going to get a better deal just resubbing for a month to try them, rather than buying them with station cash?

Races are 300SC, classes are 700 or 750SC. The normal rate is 100SC = $1, unless you buy it on sale. I'd just go gold for a month if i were you, try out the classes you want, then you can drop to silver if you want.

I can't really address your choice of classes other than to say that all classes are viable if you're having fun with them. Honestly, if your computer can handle it, there's no reason not to two box. The extra merc gives you more options of content to explore. I'd recommend a wizard, as they have ports and the least need for gear/paying attention to them.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009
Dangit, how I am supposed to afkexp with the servers down?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

xZAOx posted:

How's that panning out, btw? How many "free" AA exp are you getting per hour? I just saw you hit like 400 the other day (I think it was), so it must not be amazing (but hey, free is free).

I get about 4% per kill, and the best spot I've found so far is 5 mobs on a 6 minute respawn. So, I get 20% of an AA every six minutes, or two AA per hour. The cost is 36.5pp per merc per 15 mins, which comes out to 292pp per hour, or 146pp per AA. It's not amazing, but I'm not able to play much during the week, so it's nice to get some of the required AA out of the way without effort.

Insensitive, nope. I've posted my char names in this thread though. I'm not hiding or anything. Worst case, I get banned and have more free time and an extra 30 bucks a month.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

xZAOx posted:

I'm pretty certain they've said it's completely legitimate gameplay.

That's pretty decent IMO, btw. I have at least 16 hours between play sessions, so that's over 30 AA right there each day, for free. The real problem for me would be that's 5kpp in that time. Are you using J5s?
Nope, J5 are around 100pp per merc per 15 mins. I'm using J1s.

Insensative_Asshole posted:

^^^ That's what i thought.

Wait, you can get banned for afk farming? I thought it was pretty much the norm. I try to find a spot before I log every night, and there's always 3-4 sitting at the cave entrance in Hole.

Edit: I wasn't trying to internet detective your name, just guessing cuz I always see Laids down in Paw and I can't wait to take his spot when he's done with it :haw:

I know when mercs first came out they were all, "the game should be played, not afked." IMO, even if it is allowed, you should still keep to unused areas, just to avoid ticking off other players. If you're looking for a good spot, check out Katta Castrum.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Oh, your cost was so high with J1s because you have double mercs. I wasn't paying enough attention earlier. I might could do just a 6-8 hour session while I'm asleep, and then spend AA and resume or turn it off, right before going to work...hrm. That'd keep costs from skyrocketing too much at least. But still, that's expensive.

Keep in mind:
a) you'll be limited to maybe one or two mob camps without a healer merc.
b) I have pets which start attacking the mobs when I am hit. Tank merc dps isn't great.

Those two things might make it not worthwhile.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

cryptoclastic posted:

I've noticed on a lot of pictures of mobs that I've been seeing, a lot of them have the mobs HP percentage attached to end end of its name. Is this a mod, or something in the options I'm missing?

That's the NPC health leader AA.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

Nope, pets have to be told to attack every time. The AFK Merc'ers are just relying on tank merc DPS.

As for ending up dead, I doubt it's a GM. Way more likely that someone's training you. I go out of my way to kill off every AFK merc'ing person I see (except goons). Sometimes if I'm bored, I'll swing through the Hole and Paw just to kill people :shobon:

If you have a pet and you can get hit first, the pet will attack whatever hit you.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Hoohah posted:

If you're not doing blatantly obvious things with MQ like trying to warp or breaking your speed cap, they don't have anything in place to look for MQ (or if they do, they've since stopped caring since accounts are free).

I ran the line a bit when I used stick to make boxing 4 melee worthwhile. It's very noticeable when they swung around behind, which is sort of why I preferred instances.

If you think that is still too much risk, you can always just grab a little script or something to click the mouse or press keys and then wait. When I did lockpicking on my rogue, I made a Python script that clicked the mouse every 0.001 seconds and used it on that book in PoTranq, maxed in like 30 seconds tops.

Last I heard from the MQ forums, the EQ launcher was actively scanning processes. So, if you try MQ, kill the launcher before you start up MQ.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

The337th posted:

Yes, it will permanently raise to a 1000 AA cap if you spend $5.00 on anything in the game.

All the Free to Play details are outlined here: http://www.everquest.com/free/.

This is not true. Unless they've changed it, silver is an upgrade by itself. That is, you have to pay $5 for the privilege of being silver, not just spend $5 on anything.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Keith Stone posted:

Awww hell yes! Balee is like 15% from 78 and the gnome just dinged 70!

Exp pots stack, right?

If I'm remembering right, they stack, but the percentages add. Thus, 2x weekend plus 2x pot = 3x experience.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Keith Stone posted:

That's a powerful combo.

I'd like to try wizard, enchanter, mage with tank merc, cleric merc, and DPS melee merc.

I just don't want to three box because I don't want to part with another $15 a month.

Mage pet will outclass even the J5 merc above 86 or so, I'd recommend 2 wizard mercs with this setup. I only use the tank merc so I can be lazier, but it does limit what I can do.

Also, the $15/month isn't bad if you buy 6 months at a time, it comes down to like $11 or so.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm looking for a good place to move my 63 Shaman, 76 Necro, Tank, and Healer merc group. I'm 100% AA on the Necro and 0% on the Shaman while they get closer in level. I spent a lot of time in the hole and loved it but I'm frankly tired of it and the AAxp for the necro was slow. I've spent the last couple of days in the Verigald Mines and while it was challenging and fun, the loot was unrewarding and the pulls were slow enough as to be inefficient for leveling the Shaman.

I'd like to go somewhere with decent cash flow because I'm dead broke. When the characters get within 10 levels of each other I plan to grind out a couple of LDON's for nostalgia's sake and then try the DoDh 68-70 spell missions.

Any advice?

Katta Castrum, kill the elementals. They're level 70ish, but weak cons.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably check out Katta first because I can port there from the GH. My only experience in Katta is at the Greenhouse, where are the elementals?

There are several areas, the easiest to get to is head south from zone in to the middle "ring" of Katta, then head east, you should see them just through the first door. If you have problems finding it, I'm usually in gchat.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

It's over 200 plat, but going through the Feerrott statue is free. The point is that I have to run across at least part of the zone, and if anything sees me I am dead in in instant.

Well, you are 5 levels below that content. What do you really expect? Especially in late game content, where mudflation has had its run, if you aren't ready for it, you're going to die. My main is a level 89 mage and if I don't have a merc up, I have to gate if I get agro in Feerrott 2.0. What I'm getting at is: you aren't broken, that's just the game.

lotor9530 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 31, 2012

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009
It should be noted that unless someone has taken to doing it, you'll need to be able to update MQ2 yourself if you play on Test, as it is not supported by the MQ2 community.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

I've got a manastone and money both, you're Ben? I'll parcel if you are. Finally moved the rest of my boxes out of the goon guild though, so you'll have to luck into catching someone else online (and not AFK grinding) for a guild invite :( If you're in Roost, make sure to /anon if you don't wanna get trained. Server's pretty anti-goon now due to whoever AFK mercs in Paw hahahah

He's not Ben, I'm Ben.

I'll take the money though!

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009
Just keep pushing north through that series of zones. I wouldn't worry too much about gear right now, when you hit 70ish I can copy over some gear for you.

Alternately, do what you want. It's a game, have fun with it!

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

If you're that guy, thanks for the AFKing which ruined Roost's rep on the whole server and led to Zebiss joining my new guild :dance:

Comfortador posted:

Who would I /tell to get my alts guilded and speaking powers on Liebestod my SK?

Alts are Rahneex and Murddoc

Thanks!

It is him! The AFKer who single-handedly ruined the the reputation of the entire guild!

Honestly though, it's not that you AFK, it's that you do it in a highly visible place which impacts other players.

lotor9530 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 26, 2013

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

There's nowhere for new goons to go on Test now, so not here unless you want to join one of the spam invite megaguilds full of the server's dregs.

I'll offer my guild to any goon who wants a spot. Only requirement being don't be an rear end in a top hat. Anyone online can invite, just have to catch us not AFK. Tag is <The Elementalists>

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

si posted:

Any tips on which someones are real? I sent a few tells, but I'm pretty sure I was sending them to box chars.

I should be on most of the day, since I'm stuck at home due to car problems. Shoot Adoriane a tell.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Tai posted:

If I patch to go on test server, do I have to re patch every time I want to go back onto live?

Yes, it doesn't usually take long, though, barring some major change they're trying out on test.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Ante Christ posted:

I used the double XP weekend to get my mage and SK to 85, and was going to start using some of the plat I had on the live server to buy rustic wraps and /testcopy them over. It seems like my testcopy mules have all disappeared. Did SOE nerf test copy when I wasn't looking?

I was also looking to grind out some trade skills and lost all my tailoring stuff as well. Well can anyone set Smugatheist and Xantarr up with trade skill and rustic equipment?

I can't do the tradeskill stuff, but can do full sets of Glowing Reis, which is roughly equivalent, and not nearly as much of a pain to make. Adoriane in game.

lotor9530 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

si posted:

Ah, foiled, Test patched and MQ2 out of date. Any tips on handling that, or should I just not box quite the same for a bit?

Unless you learn to find the offsets yourself, playing with MQ2 on Test is spotty at best. I'd learn to live without it. You can use isBoxer and cleverly set up hotkeys to achieve much of the results though, sans automation.