Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Wizard and druid ports aren't as nice as they used to be with the pok and guild hall but there's still a few odd and ends that are faster to port to using one. Plus you get the utility of setting up multiple bind points and being able to port to them. You can set your primary bind to a camp near a HA giver or a named you're farming for loot and port your entire group right at it.

You'll be fine without one sure but if I was making a box group I'd definitely consider one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I wouldn't go heroic, you'll probably just get confused and enraged and then quit right away. It's a lot of information to digest compared to getting it piece by piece as you level.

There's some nice QoL stuff on the store though like a jetpack thing that's basically a mount and levitate rolled in once. That's super nice for general purpose stuff and you can pass it onto your alts on the same account if you don't need it anymore. There's also cosmetic stuff like the hero's forge and merc slots but I always ended up spending my 500 fun bucks on whatever the deal thing that popped up when you get it every month was most of the time. So many useless card packs.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Hexel posted:

i cant believe prathun is still working on eq

dude must have zero ambition

I was always under the assumption that he can basically dictate his own salary because he's been there so long and who else wants to deal with that insane code base at this point? Churn out half a normal expansion every year, fix some fires, probably make pretty good money in the process. Half their stuff over the past few years has just been 'old zone but now looks nicer with more stuff in it' anyway.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Givin posted:

That Engram person sounds like a loving idiot when they speak about ShowEQ and I hate them on principal.

I did like the callout videos on agnarr flames or whatever a friend showed me, like it's some shadowy cabal using MQ2 and SEQ on progression servers instead of being able to hurl a rock in a raid and probably hit a user of one, the other, or both.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Theoretically you could finish a key. In practice unless you get absurdly lucky, are in a top guild that can put a force out to avoid getting trained, or want to tolerate the gently caress pile of people squatting on the bottleneck camps you probably won't and your play time is probably better spent elsewhere improving your character.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-selo-mangler-progression-server-20th-anniversary-2019

quote:

The Selo Server will be a "fast" or "casual" Progression Server. This means that gaining experience will be much easier, with experience nearly double that of Ragefire or Lockjaw when the server launches. Additionally, instances can be reused more often, rares are more likely to spawn, and faction is earned more quickly.

This server will start during the Shadows of Luclin era, and will unlock new expansions on the first Wednesday of each month, starting with The Planes of Power on May 1, 2019. Once the server catches up to the present era, it will become a Live server.

For more detailed information on Selo, you can read the server FAQ here.

quote:

The Mangler Progression Server will be a more hardcore server that is tuned to feel similar to the original EverQuest launch - perfect for those who are looking for a challenge. Experience rates will be slightly lower than those on other Progression Servers, and players will lose more experience on death.

Unlocks will initially happen every 12 weeks, but after Gates of Discord unlocks, expansions that do not include a level cap increase will remain current for just 8 weeks before the next unlock. If an expansion does include a level cap increase, it will last for a full 12 weeks before the next expansion is released.

For more details on Mangler, you can check out the server FAQ here.

Selo sounds like something I'd actually play, Mangler is like 100% gonna be the new prison colony shithole. Or a ghost town, which is a shithole in its own way.

EDIT: Launching March 16th

Stanos fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 12, 2019

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
More like 6 weeks since the server's supposed to open March 16th but depending on xp/drop rates it might be alright? Plus there's a lot more XP options rather than smashing your balls into green con frogs from 45-50 or fighting over lizards.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah now that I think about it and having talked to some of the TLP nerds having Selo's at like 2-3 months would be better. Sure you might have more people getting bored but it seems like there's just waves of dread of having only a month to spam instances, even if they're sped up.

Mangler though lol, that poo poo is dead in the water. I don't know anyone who's excited about it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
What a strange server. Most importantly, why truebox? I at least understand it for TLP because it's more classic or whatever (plus it's a lot easier to box) but at house of thule point who gives a poo poo if people want to box up a group? All I see from this server is like one month of interest where 75% of people flame the gently caress out doing all the old raid crap, epics, etc or just hang out in the house for a while then quit.

Kind of a shame, too since HoT is a fun expansion.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Hey at least the drama in Korascian Warrens will be funny for the month people are vaguely interested in the server.

The more I think about this server the worse it gets. And potentially funnier.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I just really want to know whose brain child it is because it's an interesting idea in theory but there's just so many more bad ideas tied to it to sink it before it's even out.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I mean yes it is but you'd have to do some real stupid poo poo or make yourself a nuisance to get busted for it. It's certainly possible if you're just mysteriously hanging onto hundreds of krono and then handing them out for cheap or nothing but they barely stop people from warping around, some guy afking guards in high keep for like $10 an hour is nothing.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The TLPs let you actually experience content with like 75% less pissant drama and dick waving for one. If you aren't going to turbonerd phone tree or just don't give a poo poo about raiding I guess p99 would be fine but man the stories from friends who played on the red and normal servers I am just wildly uninterested in that these days. Gimme those instances, please, I do not want to have to scramble for raid monsters anymore or deal with discord pings to log in to monopolize monsters.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
With the giant obvious caveat that EQ would rather you not use them. Not that you'll get busted unless you do some really stupid poo poo. Even then you'll probably get a few chances unless you're making a nuisance of yourself or ruining their money.

It's one of those badly kept secrets, once you run it you'll see how obvious it is when other people are running it too. It's more than you'd think.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 21, 2021

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Anyone actually play live and not TLP here? I'm planning on messing around with a test box crew and do the stuff I missed out on and I realized I have zero clue how to gear them nowadays past 100.

I see snowbound stuff cheap on actual live servers which I think will suffice for later since I think torment of velious is free now and I don't particularly want to spend money on a bunch of expansions when I'll probably get bored of it all before I get to sniffing distance of 120. Finding remnants of tranquility to gear before seems difficult so I guess I could do gribble hell for marks of valor for gearing past defiant but I'm not sure.

Any potential insight or tips would be appreciated. I have a bit of money and stuff to spam testcopy so as long as it isn't breaking the bank I can maybe bring some stuff over to make my life easier.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
TBD but I'm waffling between doing 3 or 6, if it's 3 I'm probably going to do War/Clr/Brd and 3 dps mercs, although I've read mercs are still kinda poo poo and if I'm doing 3 with tools to help 6 is not exactly a large stretch. If it's 6 probably warrior/cleric/bard/wizard/berserker/??? (maybe ranger for buffs or mage for laze). I realize I could optimize that a bit more but I want to do something different and I already did a shaman and a druid so I wanted to mix it up with a cleric this time.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Snotty By Nature posted:

Didn't they do away with the Journeyman I-V ranks of mercs also? I always remembered the J5 quest being a pain in the rear end.

Yep, it's just J5 for paid accounts by default now, dunno what f2p is but they suck pretty bad so probably still like A5 or something. They absolutely wreck and you gotta try to kill one before about 60ish, then they start needing some healing or support (this is the point where you need to take gearing your character more seriously instead of just lobbing random junk on and calling it good) after that I'd say around 80 anything that isn't a healer merc is pretty whatever or actively detrimental. Wizard mercs start having mana problems, rogue isn't nearly as impressive, tank mercs are remarkably stupid about hitting defensive buttons and they can't just outregen their problems away. If you're serious about playing past a certain point, I would really advise having a core setup or setting realistic expectations. Cleric mercs are FINE but they're inherently reactive and there's going to be plenty of times you wish you had an actual healer for more proactive things later on.

Also a thing to keep in mind depending on how long you play is that bard support songs start to scale bad and they shift a lot of bard dps to more active things like chants and insults around EoK. You can still zombie a bard in a group but you're kind of wasting their potential if you aren't at least doing an insult melody instead of just slamming 5-6 group buff songs that are of dubious use. They also buffed the poo poo out of vainglorious shout and the AA bellow and they do solid damage too. You aren't going to beat actual played DPS (as far as I know, I got to 120, made some tradeskill gear, and I felt like I was over it) but bards are no slouches damage wise later.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
MQ2 is everywhere on live, it's not hard to spot. I wasn't even on FV where the botters have a direct reason to want to automate farming/making money. Don't be a nuisance to the public and don't afk automate for hours on end where you're going to see foot traffic and there won't be problems. I saw plenty of MQ2 botters on my last live stint. There's a reason they sell a group automater that only works in instanced content.

There's going to be people who are never going to agree with what you're doing (and to be fair, it is still against the EULA) but unless you shove it in their face they'll never know. I'd sometimes get looky loos when I was going so I'd stop pulling and "rebuff" until they got bored or left.

But yea, I think DBG is more than happy to let MQ2ers go as long as they aren't making problems they have to solve.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

xZAOx posted:

Got my box crew up to 61 currently. Things are starting to slow down pretty good, transitioning towards a more typical rhythm. Definitely made good use of the bonus exp this weekend though. Might get to 63 before the real world resumes tomorrow?

Also getting near the "defiant ain't cutting it" point too. Honestly my gear is hot trash. I've been doing the dailies to keep those 3 slots good at least, and buying whatever's cheap, and only very rarely does something worthwhile drop. It's working well enough - managed to score some defiant weapons in particular for real cheap which is super helpful.

Everyone recommends gribbles for 70s-100. But also a lot recommend TBM for gear. How is farming missions for TBM stuff? Remnants come fast, or should I ignore TBM and just do gribbles (which apparently gives marks which gives gear up to 100-ish too)?

Keep in mind that I'm planning on being F2P at times at least, so I'm just looking at the non-prestige gear, and I don't have pp to blow on the bazaar (remnants are 100pp for only a single seller, lol).

Unrelated - Veksar is a cool zone! I've never really been here. Spent a lot of 50-62 here. Was nice to dig into a new zone.

You are not going to get enough remnants to replace your gear every 5 levels, I can tell you that. When I played recently I just funneled my remnants to my tank and coasted more than I'd like to admit off bad gear for my other 3, only bothering to upgrade my weapons and letting high level MGBs carry me for the most part. The scaling in TBM is pretty hosed in some spots too, I don't quite remember the breakpoint but around ~104 or so it swaps to a different scaling system and bosses start shitkicking. Meanwhile gribbles and most other HAs are an utter joke in comparison.

You may also want to auction you're buying remnants, some people will cut you a deal since they aren't terribly useful in modern EQ outside of being last I checked the best heroic augs for f2p.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
i think the last f2p friendly aug spot was TBM and its laughable compared to modern EQ. I think they top out at like 400hp when getting 1k on an aug isn't uncommon in the newest expansions. You may want to stop there anyway like Kodaji said because it's fairly abandoned and once you can handle named the augs are pretty nice for the effort and again, also f2p friendly. Same with the type 5s you can buy with remnants. Although if you do TBM prog you'll be drowning in the drat things anyway.

For your tank you may want to look at the tradeskill stuff at 106+ too. I had tradeskills already at a vaguely okay spot but you could probably find someone to make it for your tank and it's pretty nice stuff. Overseer shits out the materials as an option if its too pricy on the bazaar. If you aren't interested in buying expansions the ToV crafted stuff is pretty nice and you can get a hold of the metal for it pretty easily for your tank. The EW mission is a joke and shits out 2 at a time for like, 5 minutes of work when you get it down. That same EW quest also has a pile of loot in it too, it's pretty good for quickly gearing up shitter boxes. Past that at least on Bristlebane a lot of terror of luclin t1 camps had botters at them.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
As long as you don't make a nuisance of yourself (and even if you do) you will probably not get smoked for MQ2 usage on live. It's so utterly blatant nowadays, all I can do when i last cruised through was smile and wink at 6 box crews spamming shei and a group being perched on every t1 attunable dropper in maiden's eye. I still wouldn't talk about it in any monitored channels though, but that's my paranoia. Keep it to your fellow travelers in discords or elsewhere.

I don't remember the person's name but when I was debating whether I wanted to play test or live last time and duping stuff to test just in case there was apparently some dude just constantly fuming about afk botters in chat that never got looked at. I personally never did that on live (ethical attended MQ2 only) and I wouldn't do it on test but man, talk about a failed crusade at this point, especially since last I looked the fancy paid MQ2 scripts from CWTN were free to test there.

If I had the free time I'd like to get a fresh test crew going though. Not right now, too much on my plate but if the CWTN stuff is free there it'd be nice to try another 6 box setup. Thinking SHD/CLR/MAG/BST/ENC/WIZ this time around though I don't think there's a fancy pants script setup for wizard unfortunately.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
When I was playing live last i ran CWTN plugins in a pretty amateur fashion and pulled for myself on a a bard and it worked out pretty well all things considered. Only had to dial in the aggro radius and it played my 4 others perfectly fine (pal/shm/brd/rog/rog/clr merc) with little to no attention on my part which was really nice. $20 is a steal if you're gonna be playing for how good they are.

Bard owns since I last had one in a poo poo box crew so I enjoyed playing it but I guess it's time to play a live enchanter since I've never seriously played one.

And yea that was the dude. Laughing my rear end off as he was howling about MQ2 users when you could throw a stone and hit 20 macroquesters on the buff pile. Not even going into the fact that as you said anyone vaguely paranoid about getting busted for automation has some form of GTFO set up, an alert for people wandering into your camp, or an alert for notorious troublemakers, or all of it.