Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Details for the earlier housing question. You support your housing by buying days/weeks of upkeep at a time, really cheap, and you can use nearly all of the versions of alternate currency in the game too.

Any property that lapses on it's upkeep will be completely fine for some amount of time (a month?), then everything will be boxed up and mailed to you through the parcel system.

I'm Usli/Puga in game. Men with ladytoons represent.

The337th fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Beo posted:

"Ominous Latin Word" - trolling all the guilds that do this

Haha, yes please. I'd love having Puga run around with this while grouping with my Ranger, member of Morituri Te Salutamus.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

talaena posted:

Killing seems to take forever, but at least the merc holds agro.

That is the other issue with tank mercs that eventually happens as you get out of the level ranges where they are god-like. Tank merc DPS in the higher level game is pretty mediocre, especially so if you dont have a class around that can provide haste and other helpful melee buffs.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Kithyen posted:

Oh neat so if they don't start supporting my chipset soon I'll lose whatever's in my last two slots :suicide: Hope there's nothing important there.

Don't stress yourself over this issue. Those items don't get mailed back to you unless you log in as a F2P account, so they are 100% safe if you aren't able to get in the game.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Cervixalot posted:

So rangers are pretty soloable and useful these days?

Rangers are amazing at high levels, but there is a really significant AA investment to get to that point. Of course they also have the best solo ability in the game (headshot), but it is also pretty irrelevant until the 80+ game.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Node posted:

Could a 92 paladin and 95 shaman beat The CPU fight in the mech guardian anniversary group task? It seems pretty tough with the four adds that spawn every 20% and hit for 7k.

Simple trick to this, either use a merc or pet tank for the CPU, if all actual players stay back and range dps the adds will never aggro.

e: whoop, kodaji pretty much said this.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Headshot is still godlike, but a lot less so until the 80+ level ranges.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Unless there is some extraordinary difference in the quality of your bow versus your weapons, you'll only want to range attack while using the archery discipline on burns now. Expect to melee for your normal dps needs.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, no matter how nice the AA spot is, if you become miserably bored it isn't worth it. You might be weaker in the short term at higher levels, but the AA bonus will take care of you at any level really. Plus you have the bonus of the easily gotten gear from HoT and the like, always awesome.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I can tank in VoA content as a 95 ranger with mostly topped out group gear and every possible AA, but I'm still something of a mana sponge.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Vomik posted:

I literally don't know what any of this means. What are anniversary augs? I'm only level 56... should all my gear have augs in it? I haven't found any good ones nor do I have any money. What does "stacking heroics on augs" mean?

Augs are basically something to worry about at the same time the difficulty ramps up. In the 50s and 60s you wont find many augs that are great, but it doesn't hurt to get them if you can. By the time you reach the 70s it is definitely time to start filling those aug slots with something useful, especially so for tanks and melees.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Vomik posted:

So I noticed that my pet zones with me and is still there after I camp. I suppose that means persistent minion and suspended minion are completely useless?

I don't know what purpose persistent minion may have now, but suspended minion can still be of use for at least one trick.

Basically you can set up a pet, buffs/gear/etc, suspend it, then cast a new pet to actually use. Now you have a backup pet ready to be spawned at a moment's notice if anything happens to your active pet.

The337th fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 27, 2012

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Sgt Froggy posted:

Are there any reasons to do LDON instances? When last I played those were vital leveling and gearing steps. And it seems that having mercs would make them obscenely easy to grind.

Overall there isn't, unless you just really love the theme. One notable item is the slot 3 Dodge mod. aug from the everfrost LDON merchant. Basically a must have for a tank or melee, though farming the 760 points for it is much faster in the 60s/70s. Mercs can totally enter a "group" instance with you, they are only barred from raid type things.

On Paladins: at high levels with a good player they are hardly useless. They basically just aren't near as sexy as shadowknights, and don't have the same synergy when grouped with a healer merc and/or healer box.

A huge part to me would be fake death, Pallies get no aggro dropping ability resembling this for a long time, and even when you get something, it isn't quite as versatile. Also your gimmick killing / solo fodder of choice is more limited. Shadowknights have lots of options for their swarm killing gimmick while a Paladin is basically limited to what undead they can find, which are few and far between in high levels of everquest. Undead swarming in general won't even get near the stuff shadownknights can do, a paladin doesn't have the same abilities required to pull off that insanity.

That being said, in the challenging higher levels of EQ, all those TONS of options pallies have for healing are useful. Stuns can still trivialize content, though anything really challenging will probably be immune or just too high level. A bit of class utility was restored as of the House of Thule expansion, Pacify finally got an updated version as a relevant pulling tool, and pally fade isn't a bad ability at all. You also have several options for AA and disc based DPS where in the past it was limited to one weak dps disc.

You can still solo xp decently as a Paladin, since you can find some undead and truly solo if you're geared/AA'd enough to be your own healer, cutting a merc out of the process is a very significant xp gain.

Of course this is where I admit I played a Paladin as a sole main for 5 years and 85 levels before rolling a ranger alt and finding out I had twice as much fun as a class that had way more utility and dps.

TL;DR: If you want the power class no matter what, play an SK. If you love paladins or something, go wild, you won't be useless if you're good. The number 1 challenge in high levels of EQ is needing a capable tank, if you put the work in a Paladin does just fine.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Sgt Froggy posted:

Back to my query however, with long term play in mind, would a shammy or bard be my best bet?

Given that both classes have a lot of utility when it comes to group support, I'd say the biggest debate would be shammy healing vs. bard pulling, for you. If the other box is going to be a Warrior, that bard pulling and crowd control ability might be hard to ignore.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, pick the class you want to play basically, even if there are 80 of them currently playing amongst the goon crowd. Playing whatever is fun for you still matters more in the end than anything else.

The337th fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 29, 2012

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The TBS Pirate stuff was also a terrible case of marketing buzz hyping something that was absolutely not noteworthy. "Ship-to-Ship Combat!!!" was a big expansion feature noted at the time, people got excited, people then played some instances where they did nothing more innovative than going to Dulak's Harbor and killing stuff on the boats there.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

widds2v posted:

When do Rangers pick up in power? Right now it seems like I kill stuff faster if I nuke it rather than using my bow. Generally shots are ~11 dmg each at lvl 23 while spells are hitting for 50-60+. I know Headshot eventually will turn me into a grinding machine of sorts but it seems underpowered as of now.

Most of the spells/abilities Rangers are famous for nowadays don't really start to appear or become powerful until the 70s and 80s really. Also there is the issue of most classes with great utility, you basically have a large AA investment to flesh out all that utility.

As already noted, Rangers get way more from melee than actually ranged attacking, except for the specific circumstances of headshotting and also when using the Trueshot discipline line for a burn.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Vomik posted:

Merc slots are on sale for 800 SC each down from 1500. Yes you have to buy them from the marketplace. I don't think there is any other way.

Technically you can get a merc slot in game, but its somewhere between impossible and utterly not worth the trouble.

On Station Cash bonuses, I'd put even odds on seeing it at any given holiday or other glorified excuse they get to throw a SC promotion out there.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

For anyone who loves the look of their class' epics, there is the possible bonus of getting ornaments to make newer weapons have the same look in the "near" future.

One of the devs started working on unique quests for all the classes to get them like 2-3 years ago. Supposedly he was down to just a couple classes to go when he got pulled off to focus entirely on the House of Thule development, and apparently hasn't had time to finish them since. Going by the hype, the quests were pretty time consuming since he was focusing on making it all unique and interesting for each class. There is probably still video you could find out there with a teaser/preview of the Wizard one.

Now there was a dev comment not too long ago about some surprises around this summer in game, so my personal guess is that we could finally see these in game.

The337th fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 1, 2012

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Tolain posted:

This should be mandatory for every goon. To be used all the time and for no good reason. Especially in dungeons.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=93796

Those are still fun, but man they were awesome before the recast timers were linked, you could carry a bag full and fire them off independently.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Dizz posted:

Is there some sort of Ranger guide that I should give a look? I know eventually I'm mostly going to be meleeing but I'm not sure what weapon types I should be after.

Eqoutrider.net is a forum where you can browse for ranger info. The site/forum was just restored after some problems and is missing posts from nearly a year's time, but there is still a ton of information buried in there.

Melee weapon types, you should just worry with the one hand weapons skills, slash/blunt/piercing, at any time you may find an upgrade with any of those. Don't bother obsessing on the weapon skills you aren't currently using though, it's silly easy to just afk in an out of the way arena beating up your merc for those skillups.

Most any normal augment (slot 7 stat type stuff) is removable if you use the proper distiller. You always have the option of using the super cheap Aug Solvent to destroy an aug, but if you want to pay extra you can remove them safely for reuse.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Dizz posted:

Does archery level up in the higher levels? it seems really expensive to make arrows at a low level to where I can spam them a lot to train it.

You could easily ignore archery if you wanted til level 59 when you get Endless Quiver, and catch it up then, archery would be particularly easy to afk to skill up on.

As for the lev / damage shield clicky you mentioned, there's a possibility the damage shield portion will conflict with self buffs you get later on. If lev is the part you really want, there is a nimbus that sells for $1 (100 SC) that has a lev effect I believe.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Ominous Latin Words will bring me great personal joy.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The poisons are just a proc buff, so they'll fire off of any type of melee swings.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

xZAOx posted:

A question for higher level folks - I bought all the tomes for my monk from the vendor, but they don't go to 95. Do melee not get new discs, or does it turn into a hunting game in later levels?

Check out the Spells section of this wiki to see everything you need to know about 86-90 spells/tomes: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq%3AHouse_of_Thule_Overview

Same deal for 91-95: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq%3AVeil_of_Alaris_Overview

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Ckwiesr posted:

Better than having to micromanage your looting / inventory.

Seriously a glorious thing, might finally get to put that loot all button to use.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Awesome bugginess abound since the servers were opened this morning. Popping a Rogue merc was crashing zones, so I'm sure the servers aren't going to be reopened til they fix that huge stability/exploit issue.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Wow. How does this happen? It's loving 2012. Are they running the game with $30k/year devs that are still in college?

Nah, they just steal away the best of the devs and shuttle them off to the new hot SoE projects, and leave EQ running with whatever barebones dev team they can get by on.

Also, I'm sure a lot of the blame is just on a game as old as this, being coded the way it was, and built on since then. Going by several Dev accounts, it's apparently pretty easy for the simplest of changes to majorly break things.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm kind of curious if the rogue mercs were the root of the entire problem earlier, since it seemed zone crashes were linked to busier zones. The Guild Lobby was basically perma-crashing, with pok not far behind, while remote zones seemed fine.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Unless you are really interested in having a maxed out tradeskill, don't bother with tailoring just for the armor reason, it would be much more efficient just to buy the TS'd piece in the baz, both on your time and platinum.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=82527 and http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=82651 are going to be the first pure damage augs you can easily find for a slot 4. Note that when I say easily, they are actually zonewide rares so it could take some time to get them without luck.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Valithan posted:

Do rangers nowadays largely use bows exclusively or are they still mostly melee oriented? Despite the fact that they wren't particularly good on live I had the most fun with my ranger; I quit before PoP though so my experience with the game is dated.

You will exclusively melee save for burns when you use your archery discipline, which makes archery a lot more powerful for a few minutes time. Other than that, about the only time you'll need to range is for headshotting.

I'll second that LoN might be worth understanding just in the case of a valuable scenario loot reward. The vast majority of rewards from those have been fluff, but if they ever happened to have another item like Chalandria's Fang ( http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=85078 ), you wouldnt wanna miss it.

The337th fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 18, 2012

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

This may not even be related to scenarios, but I know at one time you couldn't do stuff like trade with other players unless you had spent some amount of money on LoN, even if it was just a single booster pack purchase. No idea if that is still in effect or if other parts of LoN were the same way.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I figure since I made the offer in guildchat earlier, I'll go ahead and make a post here.

Anyone in Ominous who is ready for some t1 HoT visible is welcome to whatever I have stocked up, so long as you provide the tradeskilled item for the slot, and the 2100 pp it costs for the 2 other items from the merchant. Anyone not in the know, refer to http://hot.eqresource.com/visibles.php for all you need for HoT visible info.

Currently I have 7x Head Remnants, 3x Arm Remnants, 1x Wrist Remnant. I'll try to keep this post updated as this changes. First come, first serve.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Wild guess? With all the stability issues SoE games have had lately, they may be making some significant changes with that infrastructure, and are likely making it a solid 24 hour downtime rather than guessing at how fast they can get it done.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

Well my video card exploded last night in the middle of a LoL match and I have no $ to buy a new one since I'm moving soon.

That sucks man, except for Beo, his schtick just got easier to pull off now.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I did the most of the Shaman 1.0 Sunday night, my method for factioning was binding at the guy you kill in Ocean of Tears, then using a gate hammer to get back near pok for the run to Freeport. This sped up the process pretty well, I was gating back to Ocean of Tears a minute or two before the npc to kill repopped on most trips.

Note that you could also kill Pegleg in Butcherblock instead of making that trip out to Ocean of Tears if you preferred.

Like others have said, the 1.5 prequest might be a lot more convenient over trying to get the Child's Tear. The Dragons x3 event that was mentioned makes getting a tear easy, but I wouldn't expect it to be in game in the next few weeks or anything.

The only reason I bothered with the 1.0 myself was the vain hope of finally getting the Epic Ornament quests in game sometime remotely soon, I love the spear graphic.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

There are defiant weapons of the same types as the defiant armor, it's just hard to randomly get the weapon drops you need while out hunting.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

As far as simple programs like the old school autofire program, you would have to really try to get in trouble with it. So long as you are "active" and at the keyboard while using it, there is basically no rule that's being broken.

Complete AFK automation is the only thing they would begin to care about, and it would have to be something incredibly blatant with skill training to get you in trouble.

The337th fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Deathknell has some useful clicks and such, but there are some events that still aren't entirely trivial, thanks to scripty events that are still easy to fail. You'd at least need a handful of people for some of them, and assume some failures getting the hang of them.

Notable stuff from Deathknell is the top versions of the Circle of 'XXXX' clicks, a bard speed mount drop, and an all/all invis click with a faster cast time than any others I know of.

Demiplane doesn't really have much useful nowadays, the overhaste click there is the same effect as the one from OMM in Anguish, save for a faster cast time. 2.5 drops are nice if you're a necro or something, but multiple events are scripts that are annoying even today.

I would be interested in mini raiding Deathknell in the future, I'd love to upgrade my Circle of Power I to something better. I've never actually been past event #2 there, the raids I tried it with a couple of years ago always had enough people who were terrible to result in failing it every single run.

The337th fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 30, 2012