Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Started on Mangler last night on a whim, as I enjoyed my P99 time but that place is toxic af. A few questions if anyone can help me out:

- Is boxing really required? I'm not opposed to it, but usually when I dual-box, I play much more solo and end up getting bored and burning out.
- I usually play shaman, as I played a shaman live from 99-04, on SoD and on P99; if I'm playing solo, is there a better / cooler choice instead of being boring, given that I'll only have some knowledge of how to play the class.
- Innothule was pretty dead, is there some newbie / beginner guild to join? I'm in the newbie players channel but it's not exactly bumping.
- Are there any in-game chat channels worth joining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ehud posted:

- No it's not required. I did 1-50 on my Monk grouping with people. There are a bunch of groups in all the normal classic leveling spots.

- Not sure I understand this question. If you're playing solo there are better choices than Shaman, but your previous question seemed to indicate you get burnt out playing solo...?

- There was a goon guild but it's basically dead because people joined raiding guilds. There are plenty of other guilds on the server though. Check the EQ guild recruitment forum to find a guild that interests you: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?forums/guild-recruitment.25/

- I stay in the continent chat, general chat and class chat. You'll be placed in "new players" when you first log in and that usually has people who can answer basic questions you might have. "taxi" is useful when you need a port.

Cool! The second point was the I usually get bored when I dual box, but if #trueboxing is fine, then I'll roll with that.

I was thinking about necromancer, but that's a lonely life. Maybe enchanter, but I think people will yell at me when I can't keep five mobs mezzed and a pet charmed and enchanter raiding sucks.

Any other suggestions on cool single boxes that can solo?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I made it to level $20 :shobon:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I got level 25, unlocked cannibalize and regeneration and game is good.

Is it worthwhile to try to do some gear farming / grinds (totemic armor, etc) or just race to 60 so I can get in on hate raids, etc?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I made it to 35! PermaFrost snowball camp sucks, glacial polar bear camp sucks, camping sucks.

Could t get evil-eye bag before leveling past LGuk Bedroom, guess I'll have to buy one.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

My shaman is level 43.

I've farmed all my gear myself; finished all totemic except for chest and helm. Farmed an Ebon War Spear for my weapon. I solo farmed supplier and evil eye bags. Got my innoruk deity neck. Things are pretty chill.

46 is coming up fast. Any suggestions for raid guilds on mangler so I can get in on that sweet, sweet DKP?

E: also, I've got about 3k platinum saved up; should I start buying resist gear or don't worry about it?

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 16, 2019

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Republicans posted:

Bards feel kinda crummy until you start getting better songs like snare/slow, mana, half decent haste and dots. They really start to shine in PoP when they get fade and can start pulling as safely as monks can.

Second this. They really start to shinestop feeling crummy in the 20s and then by the 30s you're constantly holding an instrument.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Elephunk posted:

I did 1 - 38 on Selo's yesterday... me on shaman, friends on ranger/monk.

Kinda fun, will probably stick it out to 65 but I don't know about grinding AAs. We did PC -> NL -> Outside Karnnor's -> KC and then I fell asleep.

What is the shaman rotation? I'm levelling so fast I hope I'm not missing anything..

-Pet Spell

-Talisman + Stat buffs

-Poison/Disease DoTs... are they all good?

-Slow

-Haste

I missing anything here? On p99, it was better to canni // sit alternately.. does that still exist on daybreak live?

Slow is #1. But the faster mobs die, the less effective it is, and the more you'll monopolize your mana as opposed to just healing without slow.

DoTs are mostly for soloing. The disease dot lasts a long time and is harder to land / uses a different resist debuff. The poison is easier to lander, lasts ~42 seconds and uses poison resist (obvi) that is debuffed by the mala line.

Haste is good. Talisman is good. Stat buffs are good if you haven't hit hard cap. Don't forget regen/chloroplast on tank and yourself and never stop cannibalizing

Pet is fun, free dps but isn't very effective and not mana efficient if it keeps dying.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Thinking about doing Aradune with my girlfriend, who played a tiny bit of wow (like level 10 (with me)). Gonna let her pick what she wants to play and then I'll pick something to complement it. But hoping for some kind of int caster combo, or bard/druid or maybe shaman+something.

Is kunark going to open at release or is this a pure classic start?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

So much m really looking at Nec/Mag, Brd/Dru, Human Monk/Barb Shm, Cle/Enc or Shm/Shd.

Any combos that could be cool that I'm forgetting?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I got my girlfriend onboard for Wednesday. I think we're gonna go with bard (me) / druid (her). I'm still kind of on the fence and want to default to monk/SK + shaman, but I don't think she'd enjoy monk and I don't think she wants an ugly race.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Servers are up but it keeps telling me the server is full and I'm in the queue, with an average wait time of 1 minute, but I never get get in :smith:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

My girlfriend and I ended up doing ogre shaman/SK combo, mostly because I thought warrior would be too boring. We made it to level 4, got some patchwork and killed some lizards. She likes killing lizards.

All the newbie armor quests that get introduced later are unavailable, but the quest items drop and sell for silver, so we ended the night with about 12 plat in the bank.

I'm a little sad because the lizard tails that are used for raw hide armor quest no longer drop though. So we've got to do the lovely lizardman scout camps for mystic dolls if we want rawhide.

How much money does it take to make sets of banded? Should I go that route or just save 100ish platinum to get us two sets?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Philonius posted:

Queues seem to have died down on Aradune, but instead it nows takes 3-4 minutes to zone.

If this doesn't improve quickly I guess I'll just quit.

It's classic af tho.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

So my girlfriend is really enjoying EQ. Unfortunately, the queue times are really ruining everything. Half the time her queue never pops. The other half the time, it seems like one of us crashes as soon as the other gets in. Or one gets logged out due to idle before the other gets in. We're trying to play together but that's really making things suck, but we don't really want to play independently. Then when we get in, it can be hard to find something to do, find the free pick, etc.

We found a decent small guild, Arat Erar, but I don't know if they'll be killing dragons anytime soon. But I also don't know how long we'll last.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

snergle posted:

pretty excited for kunark on rizlona. seems like there should be alot more to do outside raiding and making krono to support the 6 boxing habit my brother and i have. Just wish the sk sword needed for the epic was on golems in kunark instead of velious.

Excited for kunark on aradune. Ended up with a squad of ex-Red/Blue players with an overlap of Eve players I knew or was tangentially connected to. Good group, if not a little trolly / aggressive about camps and competition.

Girlfriend is enjoying it and starting to really get the game as a SK. She's super geared with multiple sky drops, though she doesn't understand how much better equipped she is than the average player.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Rallos posted:

Is that Venid’s guild? I forget what he told me it’s called now.

Qeynos Militiamen. I don't know what they were in on Red Blue, but the GM was a C0DE. guy in Eve, and I was relatively chill with them.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I've been chilling with a small crew since kunark. We run around 35-45 people and try to punch above our weight without filling up the raid. It's good and cool so far.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Feel bad about double posting but lol the sleeper got awakened today on Aradune. That's EQ Baby had a standing agreement with every big guild that they'll be taking all the overworld spawns they can get, feel free to compete, but they wouldn't awaken the sleeper until later in the expansion. But if someone engaged the last warder, they would contest it to get the awakening kill.

Every guild was fine with this except the big EU guild, which engaged the 4th warder at 8 AM eastern. That's EQ Baby contested and killed it on day 4 of Velious.

Now I'm having to explain to my guild it sucks but lol it's just pixels and you should just move on and get over it.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yiggy posted:

After falling back into old habits and having a pc that can run it again I reinstalled EQ and started up again on Aradune. I got to the point where I need to research spells and I end up going to freeport and what the hell happened to the place. Its huge.

Freeport, common lands and lavastorm got redesigned. They're bad. North freeport doesn't exist anymore. Most things you want are in west freeport, some are in east.

Server is cool and good.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Solarin posted:

There are a couple features on these servers that greatly simplify things. First of all every character at level 5 can use an Origin ability that takes them back to their starting city guild hall. Second there is an in game parcel system to freely and instantly send items or plat between zcharacters. The parcel vendors are at the bank in every town more or less.

Halas and Qeynos in general is pretty sparse for leveling. Not many people around and all repeatable xp quests were reduced massively so gnoll fangs aren't really worthwhile. Freeport monk start and get the barb out there by asking for a port from Surefall is probably the way to go.

Qeynos monk and barb shaman could easily do 1-15 or 20 at blackburrow and the warrens but it will be pretty quiet

This. As well, there's a shared bank, so you can always roll a new character, buy spells, put them in the bank and then grab them on the main. Also the dot spell vendors in innothule are beta neutral so any can use them.

Shaman monk is a great combo that does well in nearly every setting.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

People can send Akaylas a tell if they need a port or maybe Oggwhomp for a weapon or a potion or whatever if they're brave enough.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

rally posted:

Wait, are you oggwhomp?

Oggwhomp Smash posted:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Dubious posted:

oggwhomp you rear end in a top hat you KS'd our taskmasters i will never let this slight pass,unforgivable

i demand a duel at dawn

Meet you in the Qeynos arena

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yiggy posted:

Been a hell of a poo poo show on the key farming but the launch itself has been fun.

And nothing like wiping on emp to remind you how loving nutso hard EQ used to be when you didn't respawn with your gear :allears:

Keep coffins in the bank!!!!

My partner has been enjoying the group content, but keying isn't exactly the greatest. She's learning a lot in the new guild too, which is great. But the bazaar fuckin sucks and the race to the bottom that happens fuckin sucks.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ugh, this TLP I did shaman, (my GF's) shadow knight, wizard twice and got 3 kills on verona tomb, 2 kills on vessel drozzlin and 3 kills on wraith of shissar. The low point was coordinating on comms with 4 people to open trades with the competition when Lhranc spawned to block them from completing the turn in.

This is a good set of changes, but I think they forgot about Kurron Ni, the 36 hour spawn to start the SK epic. Which I also killed when we didn't really need to.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Fanelien posted:

Hot drat fixing the broken golem after so drat long? Never really played any class seriously other than wizard and finding the golem up and beating someone to the turn in was one of the worst bits of my time on Mangler and Live. TLPs just have people farming that poo poo for selling MQs on ectunnel.com all the time. But now it looks like you could open a DZ and have a 2 hour window at the end where you could get a broken golem for your guild wizard, just gotta have a group sitting keeping the DZ open for a few hours if OW is full of shitheels.

And yeah the spellshield job is a single wizard job. Set a GINA or audio trigger for spellshield wearing off and recast as you get triggers. It's once every 30 seconds? Are you guys on Aradune/Rizlona doing the emp encounter legit or are you using the warp and kite method?

The first few times TEB warped the adds downstairs but you can't warp emp anymore. But I think next DZ we're doing it legit.

The first kill was.like 20 people in room (just clerics, caster DPS, tanks, anyone with a weapon), everyone else downstairs.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Baconroll posted:

Anyone got the inside-line on whats going on with levelling over 60 on Luclin on Aradune ? Seems to be lots of talk of some exploit that allows people to go over level 60 and get Vet AAs (and possibly others), and then delevel but keep the AAs.

I've not seen anyone over 60, but if its happening I could see a ban-wave coming like with all the /claim exploits a couple of years ago.

Even if they do ban people I bet the 5 picks of Siren's Grotto are all still up with exactly 13 'people' in each all with the same group make up and similar naming.

Haven't heard about this, but I've been fairly absent of the game except for weekly DZs and the occasional batphone. If anyone in TEB is doing this, they're not advertising.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

Awesome. I’m raiding with Pillage and Plunder. Semi-casual late PST. No batphone open world bs. TEQB, RWT, etc can have that stuff :effort:

These days it's TEB and AM mostly. But batphones stop after PoP so :shrug:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

In my previous guild on Aradund, our best paladin was a 9 year old girl.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Shm + anything melee works well. Bard is maybe a little meh. Ranger isn't quite tanky enough. But they all work. Shaman rogue gets interesting once you've got torpor and the shaman can hold aggro. Shadow knight, warrior, paladin all come with the bonus that all you really need is dps and you've got a group, especially kunark on.

Enc/clr is good and you can just solo everything forever, but enchanter can be a boring class in velious and beyond. And everyone will always value you for your cleric.

Druid / Bard still seems fun/interesting, but people hate druids so ymmv.

Enc/Nec was fun at level 20-40. Fear kite with charm pets outdoors, charm two pets in dungeons, felt very strong, but Nec/Nec might just be easier to play.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I don't know about mischief, but by the end of vanilla, I had around 8ish krono from just selling random loot and potions. Kunark, maybe 12? Velious 16? And then in Luclin I made another 10.

I didn't really do much speculation, and I didn't flip poo poo in the tunnel. I think if you're playing and active, it's fairly easy to make krono to keep the sub free. If you're trying to ectunnel and make $$$, it starts getting harder.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

schwein11 posted:

I'm going to be playing on Mischief with my brother and he's decided he wants to play a druid. We'd really like to spend as much time as Faydwer as possible early on (at least until we level out of Unrest, we may or may not mess with Mistmoore) due to nostalgia reasons. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good class to play that combos well with a druid such that the two of us can do decently well and ideally also fit into a group. My only other requirement is no wizard or enchanter. My initial thought is necro (snares and dots), mage (with the pet to tank), or bard (because i've never played one and they seem interesting, though don't know how much it would contribute to dps for circumstances when it's just the two of us). Any thoughts on these or other combinations?

Druid Bard is an interesting combo. Snare kiting / fear dot kiting / charm kiting are all good and cool.

Just make sure neither of you are half elves if you wanna go faydwer, because they can't wear small armor.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

BGrifter posted:

It would be super weird to play a non-Froglok Shaman though. :3: I suppose it’d be an interesting change of pace to go the evil route with an Ogre SK/Troll Shaman.

Ogre shaman stun immunity will be far more useful than troll regen for a shaman in both the short run and the long run.

Solarin posted:

Boxing two huge races might be annoying since it could be unusually difficult to get a pre nerf guise (unless you're fine paying krono I guess)

Shamans get shrink, and guise gets rid of 2h bash.

I did the ogre sk/shm combo on Aradune with my gf who had never played before. V. Good combo, super aces. But also, basically all the ogre newbie quests are totally gutted because the improved newbie experience/quests removed all the drops necessary for the classic ones. Not a problem, just pointing out.

Also, another one I'm throwing out, that I think I already did upthread, Nec/enc is sick fun in classic. And probably kunark. Just make sure to buy healing and rejuvenation potions.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Solarin posted:

I think gdkp would draw out a lot of aggression about underperforming players too. Wizards AFK for trash clears, shaman spamming ice nuke, bards getting interrupted and forgetting to start their songs for an hour. All of these people are now directly losing you money by reducing your split, unless they are spending like whales.

If you're in a high calibre guild, people are being called out for being bad regardless of the dkp system. I never really got roasted, but people in TEB would poke fun at me for parsing less than 1m damage in VT on a shaman, and eventually the expectation was that I should be top 20 DPS on most bosses.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Republicans posted:

I wonder how much avatar proc weapons will go for on the new servers considering how braindead easy it is to farm them.

My old Aradune guild managed to do it with clr, shm, ranger, monk, monk, monk, warrior, warrior, bard, bard. We were raid geared, but no primal weapons. It was close every time, but doable.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Solarin posted:

I believe they broke using the gnome to repeatedly spawn the boss for primals. I very vaguely remember hearing some guy on rizlona was warping and spawning dozens of them to make the zone unusable so that may be why.

e: looking at the patch notes they might just have fixed spawning more than one at a time.

Gnome was fine up till day before Luclin launch on Aradune.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Solarin posted:

Yeah if you plan to raid then not rolling an enchanter is an extremely smart choice. gently caress playing any buffing class on raids. Never again.

Can confirm, it's.mosery until Luclin at the earliest. Double gently caress if it's a class that has a short duration - shorter cool down buff.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Indecisive posted:

VP key is not tradable, tho apparently the quest pieces are. not looking forward to the clusterfuck the ancient jarsath could turn into

ShowEQ and bring a shadow knight and a bard!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

MF_James posted:

Having fun so far, been a LONG time since I've actually played, ran SolA->SolB->LGuk, think we're gonna do The Hole and then karnors/seb, though I'm not looking forward to getting the seb key without a tracker... might end up having to pay someone to do it lol

Seb key was easy on Aradune. They upped the number of spawns on the rare cycle to like 100.

E: it would probably be pretty easy to get hangman's noose from the rare cycle of you use showEQ. Also, once you get 54, consider trying chardok, it's great experience and probably great loot on mischief, but it'll be dicey without CC.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 29, 2021