Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
how do the new TLP servers compare to P1999 and TAKP and such in terms of population?

and am I reading this right? Aradune is true box... but still allows two boxing?
"Boxing any more than 2 characters will result in the following actions taken against your account. First Offence: A written warning from the GM. Second Offence: A 7 day suspension of account privileges on all Aradune related accounts. Third Offence: Permanent ban on all Aradune associated accounts. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

RCarr posted:

They will be absolutely chock full of people. Like 40 instances of all the main leveling zones .

oh wow. how quickly do they die down? is everyone gone by Luclin or does it keep going strong through PoP etc..?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
do the usual P99 etc recommendations for duos etc apply on TLPs? or has live diverged significantly enough that there are other better sources of info ? I assume they still don't roll back zone files like Freeport and Commonlands?

thinking about getting an all-access account for this TLP and rolling either a SHM/MNK or.... something with a buddy. I'm pretty used to 2 or 3 boxing now, so going back to a 1box might mean I'm playing BRD or ENC or something. Dunno! recommendations appreciated!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
how much does one need to play to sustainably farm krono on a TLP? like what's the average plat:krono ratio on a new TLP server by the time, say, velious rolls around? (You can pay money for them and trade them for plat right?)

I am completely new to this but the idea of farming to sustain my addiction pleases me.

also how do you guys box on a Truebox server? do you literally have another PC with a KVM switch, or VMs, or is there some TRICKERY employed? or does DBG just not care?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Coolnezzz posted:

Farming krono is bullshit to me and not worth the time compared to even working a minimum wage job, in my opinion, but I understand it may be a decent choice for people who are unable to do so and that's cool. I wish I could play EQ all day and make decent money.

Who knows how much krono will be worth on this server due to the fact that it's free loot + random drops, it's a new frontier, but I suspect Krono here will be worth nowhere near the other servers. The biggest krono farmers run MQ2 and have dozens of bots running around multiple camps at all times farming up all the loot. I think this new Mischief TLP is an effort to prevent that slightly with the free loot + random drops.

That's about what I figured. What prevents people from just.. KSing the botters? Are they just so overpowered that the money mobs are oneshot? I'm so out of the loop, I don't understand that aspect at all.

But cool. I can't imagine putting more than 3-4 hours/day into EQ because of $JOB, but my NEET pals might enjoy the prospect of mining for Krono to keep the sub going. More likely I'd be the one feeding money into the machine to get sick loots.

Coolnezzz posted:

As it's a Truebox server I've actually followed the rules and have had up to 8 actual physical PCs for my box crew, but I've controlled them all with Multiplicity and HotKeyNet from the same KB+mouse.

I hear MQ2 has a new open source build that runs on Truebox servers and I'm very interested in learning more about that myself. I never play unattended and I just want to make my life easier while running a 6 box team to gear myself up, camping single locations as opposed to holding down several pickzones to farm krono.

Here's my last setup from Mangler:

That's awesome. Each account is a separate sub though, right?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
So how prevalent are bot crews on a new TLP?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Indecisive posted:

yea starter city is actually a fairly large consideration for early expansions of a TLP, since it determines where you'll be able to port yourself to (a big deal for classes without bind/gate, and even if you do have it, being able to port to an actual useful city is always nice). Barbarian is an exceptionally unpopular race for that reason.

why? can't you just bind somewhere else as soon as one of your guys is level 12/14? is something different on TLP?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
ah! thanks guys. i guess it makes those pottery made faithstones useless then.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Yeah I immediately flipped everything to original models when I started up again. Last week I decided to give new Iksar a try but I’m unsure which I like better. All the others it’s gotta be the old model, especially Halflings and Ogres.

To be fair, the Luclin Ogres look closer to the EQ box art than the original fatties. However, the Luclin Ogre/Troll models don't have the buttscratch animation, right?

Classic troll models are unironically my favorite character models of all time. I wore a tree weave for ages just because the leather texture has a substantial amount of plumber's crack hangin' out.

Bring back buttscratch Daybreak you cowards.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
most of my knowledge is from TAKP or P99 so take this with a grain of salt:

for quad-kiting in general as a WIZ< you're going to want sow pots or preferably jboots for the runspeed goodness. Luclin will make things easier with runspeed 3 AA.

CS wyverns are super easy. If Live is anything like p99, you can faction up with Dragons and the Wyverns kills will not incur faction hits, but will be indifferent or whatever your dragon faction is. Careful of Azureake (drake) or Yvolncarn (wyvern), they are quite tough for a Wiz to burn down and are immune to run speed changes.

you can also quad Suits of Sentient armor in WL but those are rather hard to find open in my experience (again, p99 not Live). They drop the purple Sentient armor set for SHDs, not sure if that's worth anything over there.

TD raptors are fine but they do run at near SoW speed as I recall, so it's harder for WIZ gather these up because unlike a druid you're trying to gather THEN snare, rather than snare + gather. They also have a rather large aggro range as I recall.

Another interesting option, if they haven't fixed it on Live/TLP, may be to quad in Dreadlands. on p1999, this place is packed with mobs that are still blue in the 50s. You can lev on top of the outside of Karnor's Castle by running from the zone wall toward the castle, bind yourself at the top of the ledge, and then pull stuff into the center area inside of the Castle geometry. Quad it down, Gate back out to the bind spot, and rinse+repeat. Really requires enough mobs to make it wokr, but is (on p99 at least) a completely safe place to quad since no mobs spawn inside of the castle area. But yeah, that might be too much of a weirdo p99 thing.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

- The rocks to get into Hole were locked, you had to duck to get through, no clue where the key to those were in my life.

AFAIK, you just need to buy the key in Paineel. But yeah, it's super easy to shrink/duck to get in.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I may have missed it in the thread - has there been any announcement about what this year's TLP or unique rules server will be?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

POP unlike the pervious x-packs more or less removed the need to see all the old zones. The game goes hard core raiding at this point and keeps it up for a while. If your raiding, group content is almost pointless which is sad.

currently playing PoP on a emu server (TAKP) and I feel these feels. I don't know how it is on Live or TLPs, but on TAKP it's like a whole different game. There's one three-box combo that rules them all (Enchanter, Bard, Cleric), there's a couple of zones worth going to (exacerbated by ZEMs), and everything else is fully focused on flags and raids. Feels bad.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Fanelien posted:

Once DoDH unlocks Fibblebrap #5 is better, and remains so until SoF when you get the Mech guardian.

as someone who has never played past LoY - I honest to god thought you were making poo poo up ad-lib style to troll the thread.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
So frogs and berserkers and stuff will be available day 1 on Vaniki? That kinda owns

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so after playing on TAKP for a while I've kind of some full circle on PoP and am seriously looking at Live again in some form.

when I started playing the emu servers, like many others I played a ton of P99 and was part of that hardcore "baz and luclin and pok are horrible and ruined the game!" group of vocal players.

since shifting over to TAKP I've really come to appreciate 2boxing (and 3boxing, to a lesser extent) and can't see playing the game any other way unless I played a really high APM class. now that they've released PoP, I've come to greatly dislike that era of EQ all over again for completely different reasons - the ZEMs that have herded players like me into a few optimal zones like Bastion of Thunder and Plane of Tactics, the entire flagging ordeal for raids, etc has all left me somewhat disappointed and burnt out.

the new TLPs have me kinda pumped - Vaniki in particular I think will be a fun server to run around and do some content I've never done before. aside from LDON, is there any interesting LoY content worth checking out?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I'm a returning player on Live. I kinda wish they'd allow you to at least 2box with a single sub

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Enjoying FV so far with 3 players each boxing two chars. Got up to 40 doing serpents spine content over a couple nights. Can we sub up for 1 month just to get auto grant AAs? If so when’s the best time to pop that? Some nice dude plopped 50K on me which was more than enough to get our melees some reavers and 41% haste, otherwise still rocking defiant gear. Wondering how far we can get in group content without AAs once we climb into the sixties and beyond.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I've been playing a SHM on FV and enjoying the heck out of it, but I've got loads of mana, ac, and various forms of regen from my Defiant gear.

any idea how high the actions per minute is for a SHM on TLP with no gear to speak of? thinking about rolling one for Vaniki but i'm a bit worried i'll have to sit and med like a normal shlub.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Going to be on Yelinak with 2 buddies. We’re still trying to figure out our trio. Probably a shaman for sure, I’ve been practicing my run from Oggok to the commonlands.

Anyone know how TLP monk stacks up vs TAKP or P1999?

Are PAL and SHD super boring in Classic? Seems like they lack tools and will seriously lack mana règne and whatnot.

Maybe I will see you, next time you’re in EQ.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
90min queue times now :getin:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
been playing on Yelinak casually but getting the static group together for playing is hard.

up to a glorious level, er, 5.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
is there any way to game the /pick system?

playing on Yeli and it seems to me that the picks open up around 20 players in Unrest, for example. best to group up outside of the dungeon and then run in to increase my odds at a fresh instance? otherwise I have no dang clue how I'm gonna muscle my way into main room with 3 or 4 guys in my leveling group.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Indecisive posted:

kedge is really cool but I never really learned why it was there or the history of it, other than 'phinigel lives there'. it''s not laid out like an above-ground castle that got sunk so it must have been an undersea place from the start right

I think Phinigel is supposed to be the last of the Kedge, a race of aquatic beings created by Prexus. and then they mysteriously disappear for <reasons>! and Phinigel is a big jerk wizard that chills in their last fortress.

here's some lore: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/kedge

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i have an OGR SHM on yeli but honestly considered TRL. is it just frontal stun or is it their beautiful looks?

because, i mean, Troll has that run where they look like they're gonna poo poo their pants AND their asscrack hangs out with a leather tunic on.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Solarin posted:

I also want some limited ability to spin up a private pick of any zone where you can invite who you want and camp whatever the gently caress you want in peace for x hours once every n days. I just can’t with the loving greasy camp competition and krono lording any more. I used to chill in raid DZs a couple times a week and clear them out for xp and the occasional rare drop but that’s mostly been dismantled.

god yes. Picks are ok conceptually but I've never been able to take my static 3-man crew (non-boxed) into any level-appropriate camps like MR/FP in Unrest or GY in Mistmoore on Yelinak. when I start a session on a Tuesday night at 8PM, I've got about 2 hours to play with my friends before we have to go to bed for work the next day. don't really have time to bounce between picks trying to eek out a spot to camp, much less travel halfway across the world to try another dungeon. Would love to fire up a private pick even if it's on a lockout timer or has limited duration.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
SolA is a good time. I did 19-24 there at the entrance. Just /who all lfg and grab anyone who is willing to make the trek out.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

Anyone had a similar story or am I the only reformed piece of poo poo here?

One way people frequently transferred items before shared bank was to find a secluded spot and drop a bag full of gear. I found a backpack full of mid-high gear in the back of West Freeport, near the vendor that sold potions and whatnot. I don’t remember if I gave it back but I seem to recall the person pleading in /ooc for it back. Maybe there was a reward because I don’t recall ever selling anything.I doubt my 12 year old self would’ve had a conscience.

Later I had an in-game friend who played a monk, I saved up and brought him a pair of Wu sticks. He then disappeared and reappeared some weeks later claiming no knowledge of who I was and was overall very agitated that I was bothering him. Maybe an account sell.

Most embarrassingly I had an in game semi-girlfriend to whom I promised I’d buy a weddding ring (with stats, ofc). Except my gushing love /tell went to /ooc instead. Whoops.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Cold-called some randos into joining us in CT at the temple. Went from 30 to 33 last night. I've got a static leveling group of monk, necro, shaman - thoughts on good places to go next ? Thinking Splitpaw maybe.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I ended up going to Paw before reading the replies here :v:

Actually it was okay- I've done a lot of Paw before and didn't have much problem with spelunking down to the Rosch Val L'Vlor spawn. It was up, we killed it and it dropped a shiny new Gnoll Hide Tome for our Necro.

I've been wanting to avoid the usual Mistmoore, Unrest etc because I've done them to death elsewhere.

I didn't realize LGuk was relatively low, maybe we'll hit up AssUp - the other problem with doing the popular zones is that bringing 3 people seems to be rough for us to get into/start groups in zones that are otherwise mega camped.

What I have been noticing is that grouping with randoms can be really painful. So often I'm grouping with people who are now in their low 30s and still meleeing on their casters and not sitting between fights, so they never have mana when it's needed. why!?!?!?! I can only assume they've been going at it since the beginning but exceptionally slowly. I guess this is my punishment for playing casually.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

onesixtwo posted:

Hi kunark.
I’m taking a pause until luclin most likely, your content is just too second nature at this point. I will still be dragging my buddy’s necro through droga for a cos, however.

i poked around Droga tonight on Yeli and holy goddamn poo poo. That places is 100% automated bot farming for scales and salts for Chardok factioning. Can't get a mob in edgewise for all of the Mages strategically placed to murder every living thing. absolutely nobody responds to CC and people just act cagey as gently caress in there.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
What's the best way to get started with boxing on Yeli?

I want to 2-box, with everything managed from my main desktop with a big display. I'd prefer not to spend money on some solution but I'm happy to tinker with free stuff. I've got 2 or 3 computers lined up that I could use for this.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
ok cool. do you just have the basic multiplicity or do you use the pro versions or whatever?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I understand guilds need to pull numbers to take down targets, but logging in and seeing guild MOTD:

DKP raids are not optional for players 46+.

:eyepop:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
can definitely see the core players climbing up on the backs of casuals.

on the flipside there are a lot of dinguses that just straight do not know how to play and are totally unwilling to learn. if they're going to consistently ruin the night of 20-30 other people, whether that's through actively being a turd or not listening and standing in the wrong spots, etc.. there's something to be said for getting rid of the dead wood. there's a balance, for sure.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Setset posted:

which one of you did this

where's the ring?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
is VP even worth it? on TAKP at least, people rarely bothered because most of the loot was outdated by Luclin. not sure how TLP compares.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
speaking of primal essence - does this thing drop in TLP, come Luclin? https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=8973

what version of Acrylia Caverns is on TLP anyhow?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
relatedly, any good guilds for casuals? I'm 48 on my main now and might be a decent time to join a guild.

My untagged alt had a miserable run-in with one of the regular raiders from my most recent guild who was dominating Unrest and being a complete rear end about pulling the entire zone for his PLs. Maybe he would've been friendlier had I been tagged but that was enough to make me /guildremove myself. Not all that interested in drama over pixels that comes from those types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
essentially ran out of steam by the time Velious dropped, but nearing 50 on Yelinak and finally got a Ceremonial Iksar Bp for my Shaman :toot:

grinding in Kael now with my static group (NEC, MNK and my SHM+CLR box), it's going okay but definitely feeling the slog.