Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I came back to the game after over a decade away for Aradune and played for about a month before the server woes drove me off. Played an enchanter but never enjoyed charming. Going to try again for Mischief, was thinking of group tanking.

Are there any grossly over-used classes in the TLPs? Does it even matter? I'm considering SK, but they seem to be by far the most common suggested tank in early expansions? Was also looking bard with a boxed cleric and tank (I was considering warrior but everyone says they're terrible outside raids?). It would be super casual, I don't expect I'll ever have the ability to commit time to raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Indecisive posted:

wood elf > high elf > freeport > neriak (I think trolls can start here?) > dwarf > gnome > halfling > troll > ogre > qeynos > erudin > barbarian

this is my 100% super serious tier list

iksar probably fall somewhere between dwarf + troll, kinda far from the old world but tbh once kunark is out you can kinda just live there until velious, then luclin comes + nothing matters anymore

I understand freeport on down, but why are wood elf and high elf so good?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I tried playing on Aradune before the queue issues drove me away after a couple months, that was the first time I've played since around 2005. Figured I'd give it a try again, since Mischief seems like a neat idea and I didn't really get the full nostalgia fix I was trying for last time.

It turns out my habit of never throwing out old PC hardware has resulted in me having enough stuff to truebox six characters, I only had to purchase one copy of windows 10 and some number pads:

Any suggestions on party composition? I like the idea of playing a Bard as a main, and I've got a somewhat unique requirement that I need to be able to AFK at a moment's notice for 30-60 minutes at a time (thus wanting to box so I don't inconvenience other players) so I figured the bard invis song and Wizard evacs/ports were invaluable.

I'm thinking:
Bard (Main)
Tank (SK?)
Cleric
Wizard
Mage
Mage (to be subbed out for my friend's shaman when we're playing together)

My initial tank plan was an ogre SK, just because everyone says they're the best to start out, but I am also considering a dwarf warrior or paladin. Do any of the tanks require less active attention to do their job half decently? Given Mischief's FV loot system, I was also wondering if the less-played tank gear will be any less expensive.
I'd also considered replacing the bard with an enchanter, but I'm not going to be charming, given the need for fast AFKs. Seems like bard is more generally useful if you're not charming?

Also, any opinions on mixing good and evil races for classic/first two expansions? Assuming using a shadow knight, I could go Human/Ogre/Dark Elves (or perhaps just Human/Dark Elves and live with frontal bashes?), but even human bards seem to have issues in most of the evil towns (was primarily thinking things like the fort in the Overthere) without the dark elf mask. Could also do Half Elf/Ogre/Dwarf/Gnomes, which would let me re-live my old leveling path of hunting mostly in Faydwer, but then I'll have to sneak the ogre everywhere and he starts a good ways from everyone else.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the suggestions!

milkman dad posted:

I'm going to 2nd/3rd replacing your 2nd mage with a shaman. Slow is just really really good to have.

I had considered it, but a friend I intend to play with regularly wants to play shaman, and boxing the class he's interested in seems like a bit of a dick move.

Solarin posted:

Enchanter provides a ridiculous level of control to a group that nobody else can, plus tash, slows, and you are caster heavy so you gain a lot from not relying on clarity potions. You might value the safety that added control gives you.
Having both clarity and bard mana song would be neat, but it's worth the DPS loss replacing a mage even if I don't intend to charm? I'll probably be regularly replacing one of the mages with the previously mentioned shaman friend, would he be replacing the ench then? SK/Bard/Cleric/Wizard/Shaman/Ench seems like it would kill very slowly (though to be granted the group would probably never die)

Solarin posted:

If you stick with the game into Velious and Luclin I'd suggest shifting to a melee dps oriented group. Especially on a server where you can easily buy prior raid tier weapons for boxes.

koreban posted:

or melee like monk/ranger.
I'm not super wedded to the mages (or to the wizard past evac and ports, he might end up a druid at some point), I've just not 6-boxed before and it seemed like they (and the wizard) would be relatively easy to build a couple social macros for and then forget about them. I'm considering swapping in rangers for the mages once we get a couple expansions in and they can use their bows more, but I imagine positioning melee is a lot of work when you're moving 3-4 characters around every pull. Is there a trick to it?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ist posted:

My 6box comp is somewhat similar.

Most likely starting off with SK + CLR + ENC + DRU + MAG + BRD

I've been playing around with it more and I think I'm also going to end up starting with SK + CLR + ENC + DRU + MAG + BRD. Likely replacing the DRU + MAG with some kind of physical DPS later on.

I managed to pack my 1x6 monitor layout into a 2x3 and it makes me way more comfortable with the idea of charm DPS, which lets me get away with way more utility, at least for the first few expansions.

koreban posted:

As for software kvm, I use InputDirector. It’s not without its own quirks, some of which are nonstarters for some folks, but I don’t have networking or reliability issues with ID like multiplicity seems to have.

Does InputDirector allow me to define specific keys to never be shared? Multiplicity is doing everything I need of it so far (though the multi-monitor support in InputDirector would be very nice) but I'm using an array of numpads as quick hotkey banks for the individual clients, and I want the numpad hooked up to the driver PC to stick to that PC regardless of where the rest of the keyboard/mouse input is going.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

koreban posted:

So, I do something similar but I approach it differently. I don’t use input director on my main driver pc. I use the next easiest box to reach as my input director master. It’s on a laptop, so keyboard is baked in, and I just have one extra mouse on my desk that I can drive to the other PCs. I have the same sort of 2x3 setup, and my main driver is bottom-center, the master is bottom left, and the movement mirrors the layout, so I go up to the next pc, then right across the array.

It takes a little getting used to, but it’s intuitive and I never have a problem with my boxes mucking up my SK.

I tried doing what I was hoping by making a keybinding of all the number pad keys on the director to the number pad keys on the director, but that appears to just eat the keystrokes entirely, probably ends up in an infinite input loop before timing out. Looks like the solution is just going to be to insure that my 'driver' character (probably the SK most of the time) is on the driver PC. Input Director does the stuff I really wanted one of these KVMs to do, which is to support multiple monitors on a single PC intelligently, and handle mouse transitions between monitors of multiple resolutions by calculating mouse position as a percentage of the monitor's total size. But it's got some real quirks when it comes to mouse movement (the director gets mouse look input even when controlling the client PCs). I've still got my old Multiplicity setup, it's disabled for now, but I think I'll end up going back to it.

For reference, here's what my hardware setup ended up looking like (numpads in 3x2 grid, in the same layout as the monitors they control. Each is a different color, the camera didn't pick up the differences very well.):

Now I understand how people use follow to line up melee characters, works surprisingly well when I can just bang out a hotkey that auto-follows, assists, and starts auto-attacking.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 25, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ist posted:

I ended up swapping the DRU/BRD out to go SK + CLR + ENC + SHM + MAG + WIZ instead, with the plan to play SK + CLR + SHM + BRD + 2 RNG in Luclin-POP and swap the rangers out for zerkers if I make it past POP.

Also I still need to decide between 5 human + 1 barb starting in Qeynos or 4 DE + 2 troll starting in Nektulos...

Why the WIZ over the DRU? Just more damage since you have the SHM slow and SoW? BRD is kind of limiting my 5th-6th slot picks more than I'd like, but I want to play it as a main.

I'm still trying to work out races as well. Frontal stun immunity on the ogre seems really good, but god drat are they just SO fat, it makes moving around small spaces such a chore.

Edit: Trolls can start in Nek even in classic?

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 26, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Solarin posted:

Enchanter provides a ridiculous level of control to a group that nobody else can, plus tash, slows, and you are caster heavy so you gain a lot from not relying on clarity potions. You might value the safety that added control gives you.

I'd say make the enchanter in place of a mage and keep the bard if that's what you intend to main. I think with that group comp about 80% of your focus will be on the SK and the rest can be reduced to a assist and cast macro for basic grinding.

Coming back to this to say you were absolutely correct. I don't think I could have done half the dungeon stuff I've tried so far without the added control of the enchanter.

Anyone else using Multiplicity having issues with the driver PC getting double mouse-look rates sometimes? I end up having to adjust my sensitivity a bunch as it seems to fix itself when I reboot the game then show up again sometime later, I think it's if I zone with the driver PC without having the mouse active?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

Digging back a bit into the thread but what numeric keypads are those?

Thinking of picking up one or two keypads to help play around with true boxing alts. If anyone has any recommendations I’d love to hear them. I suppose any cheap $10 membrane junk would do, but if I could get something mechanical with RGB backlights it’d be fun.

I’ll keep trucking along with just the Druid till I hit the cap in Kunark. But there’s a lull between level 60 and AAs in Luclin that seems like a great time to muck around with alts or figuring out a boxing setup.
They're Motospeed k24s, as far as I can tell they're the only mechanical RGB numberpad on the market. I bought mine off amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOSPEED-Mechanical-Portable-Backlight-Extended/dp/B0854L5XGT/

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
At what point does additional extended targets get added to TLPs? My enchanter could really use more than 5 targets when mezzing bigger pulls.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rallos posted:

I am. Which one? There was a splinter and Zaide left and made a new guild so now there is The Faceless and Faceless X In Virtue. Feel free to hit me up if you see me online. Szinga and Vaseline are the characters I pay attention to most.

Is there a good writeup somewhere about what the heck happened to cause the split? I joined FXIV at launch to see if this GDKP idea would actually work and I'm pretty fed up with the utter mercenary attitude that's come to define the guild.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Nobody will be able to guess my character's name on Mischief, for I have cleverly obfuscated it.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 18, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
How's Mischief doing these days? I'm tempted to re-subscribe my 6-box and level casually now that I've got a little time again.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 15, 2022

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm starting to get the itch again. Is Mischief worth jumping back into if I stopped playing all the way back at the end of Luclin, or will I just be forever playing catch-up?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
You guys are making it really hard to not spend $90 re-subbing my 6-box. Do people run melee or caster groups in later expansions? I ended Luclin capable of running both SK/Cleric/Ench/Bard/Mage/Druid and War/Cleric/Shaman/Bard/Monk/Monk at 60. (Mischief was my first EQ experience after originally quitting in 2002)

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 8, 2023

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Malaria posted:

How do you guys manage 6 character box squads?

Do you use some software?

My first attempt at boxing was last year on yelinak and it was basically just putting my laptop on my desk and using a weird one handed keyboard I bought for 20 bucks to hit command macros on the box druid. It worked fine but it was pretty clunky.

Can't imagine doing that with 5 boxes and a main though. What's the secret?

My habit of collecting old PCs over the years eventually paid off. You don't need to splurge for the RGB numpads, but I found it helped me distinguish each account.

My 11th hotbar on each computer is arranged in a 3x4 grid and mapped to the numpad keys. Every account has stuff like sit/follow/assist on the numpads, with roles using the rest of the keys for common actions (cleric has a 'heal tank' button, for example.) Tank account drives, multiplicity for doing anything special (buffing, non-tank healing, mezzing), the bard just sings and auto attacks, dps casters are set up with cast macros.

It's not the fastest layout, and if unexpected stuff happens I tend to just die, but I'm following all the truebox rules (one instance per PC, only one game input per player action).

MF_James posted:

I really need to get a big monitor like 32" and run an HDMI splitter so I don't need 6 monitors.
Saw a dude online suggest one of these for running 4 PCs at once, since it has quad HDMI input and a 4-screen split screen layout.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821WWXV6

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Edit: Solved my issue!

So it turns out something changed in the update to a 64-bit executable, and multiplicity (and apparently most other software KVMs?) were causing duplicated mouse inputs between the driving and following PCs. Here's the forum thread with a link to the patched executable that resolves the issue.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 9, 2023

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Malaria posted:

So I got Multiplicity setup. It's shockingly easy to use.

My only problem is if I mouselook/mouse movement with holding right click on one PC, it moves the camera on the main pc. Anyone know how to stop that? I like mouse look for quick camera fixing/respositoning.

Other than that one issue, it has made boxing super easy. Probably gonna order that mini pc and get a 3 box setup together for the new TLP next month.
That was the issue I solved here:

BabelFish posted:

Edit: Solved my issue!

So it turns out something changed in the update to a 64-bit executable, and multiplicity (and apparently most other software KVMs?) were causing duplicated mouse inputs between the driving and following PCs. Here's the forum thread with a link to the patched executable that resolves the issue.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I was sort of hoping they would up the maximum level character XP bonus to 25% per/200% max. maintaining 10 characters seems like a ton of work for double XP.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I might just take this opportunity to build out a bunch of themed 6-box groups and focus on leveling them.

Just logged back into mischief last night and defiant gear is dropping? But only up to Intricate it seems? Is there anywhere that says which defiant starts dropping when on TLPs? My normal internet sources say nothing.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
How much would I hate myself if I built out a melee 6-box based around Quenos for the new TLP?

I've spent almost no time around there and it would be kind of fun to build a themed group using barbarians and humans, but I kind of worry about getting stuck so far from the major locations without teleport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I might have to dust off the boxing setup and try this one again. I had a lot of fun on mischief.