Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

So in better news, I took the time to update my ZlizUI for the June patch. I cleaned up a bunch of old unnecessary files, and also greatly cleaned up the mercenary window.

Here is a preview of the new version, would you guys like to try it out and see if everything works as expected?

http://zlizeq.com/Files/EQ-ZlizUI_v9-preview.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Krycek posted:

Only thing I noticed last night is that when you mouse hover over buttons, the left side of the button disappears. You can still click as normal, so no functionality lost. I know that it has something to do with the transparency layer of the .png files and a change to how layers stack made during the June patch.

Looking good, though. Thank you for continuing to update this, I've been using your ui ever since I restarted eq during RoF.

Strange, which buttons do you mean? Buttons such as "Done" in windows, hot buttons or socials? It works fine for me.

Did you delete all files in the "zliz" directory before copying in the latest files? Try that. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I've uploaded version 9 of my ZlizUI, which is now RoS compatible and everything:

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

Still some small knick-knacks to be improved, but it works without errors.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RCarr posted:

The word enchie really bothers me and I'm not sure why.
It is pretty bad, worse than "pally".

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

haven't played EQ in an almost a year and that was just to mess around for a few minutes and soak in that ~nostalgia~

but this is really funny for some reason

It seems pretty ridiculous how cheap plat can be to buy, particuarly when you're a returning playing. At high levels the platinum really flows like water, so I guess that's why.

IMO there's no need to buy plat for dollars if you're a returning or new player, just buy reasonable gear and you'll be fine. If you grind crafting you can also craft some bombass gear at level 100 for almost nothing.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Oh poo poo patch notes

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/test-update-12-04-2018-patch-notes-and-discussions.253075/

Highlights:
- Melody now skips to the next song if a recast timer hasn't elapsed, instead of interrupting the melody.

- Added a MOTHER loving Faction Window that allows you to check your reaction and standing with every group in EverQuest.
- - This new window can be accessed by clicking the EQ Button and selecting Character -> Faction Standings or by typing /faction.
- - Hovering over a faction name or reaction entry will display your current reaction value with a group as well as the number of points needed to reach the next reaction rank.
- - Hovering over the standing progress bar will display your current standing (how much you have done to help or hurt this group) as well as the minimum and maximum possible standing with the group.

Wow, putting a nail to almost 20 years of "mystery" about how faction works.

I remember when Velious was current content and how people would port to CS to check their CoV faction after grinding in Kael, by conning the wyverns there. No more!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

iNteg posted:

Pilsner, we gonna see a freshly updated ZlizUI? <3

Just got word today from another player that it's broken, so I'll look into it soon.

For a quick fix, try deleting the file "EQUI_ChatWindow.xml" in the \zliz directory of my UI and see if the one in the default UI works instead of the customized one from ZlizUI. I suspect that the EQUI_Animations.xml file also needs updating, however, but it's worth a shot.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I've updated Zliz UI to match the latest patch. It includes compact chat windows with no title bar taken from Sparxx. I don't think the tabs can be made thinner, sadly.

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Krazuel posted:

I have tabless sparxx chatwindows that basically make it look like everything did from before the patch uploaded to the discord thingy someone posted here in the past few pages.

e: https://discord.gg/szdXwSs

It's a matter of taste I guess. I can see the benefit of the chat tabs. Good thing is that you can just replace the chat windows from my UI with any other customizations you like, or delete the two files EQUI_ChatContainerWindow.xml and EQUI_ChatWindow.xml to make it as the default UI.

My only complaint is that the tab header (the bar with the list of tabs) seems unnecessarily thick.

Also, we won't have to do that silly thing with a hidden 1x1 pixel chat window with all our hits/misses in order to do DPS parses, you can just put that in a tabbed window.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I found this tabbed chat UI mod I like. Very slim with almost no borders:

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6768

You can just replace the two .xml files in ZlizUI with the ones from this UI and it'll work.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Republicans posted:

I'm glad Raster spawns in classic now but why the hell is his ph 38 minutes. Thank god there are several picks to farm because once lguk empties out that camp is gonna suck extra hard.

You can speed it up a little more by timing it and letting the midnight (in-game time) PH despawn instead of killing it, and then a new one (PH or Raster) will spawn already at 7am game time. Scan through the comments of the Alla entry for details:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=4609

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

bagrada posted:

On a regular server, what class would be best to heroic boost if you just wanted to snoop around old zones without worrying too much? I had a 52ish druid back in vanilla through PoP but loaned my account to a friend and it got mostly stripped. For over a decade now I've been thinking of leveling up a rogue for SoS exploration, but if its a level 85 just walking around City of Mist, Sebilis, Akhevan Ruins, Siren's Grotto, Guk, etc are there any better choices? I don't care about farming rares, just walking around checking out the dated graphics, exploring places I was scared to go solo, and putting "faces" to the stories I've read over the years. I've heard just go bard for selo's, pet class for trivial soloing, monk or necro for feign death, rogue for SoS if you are careful about conning for the exceptions, and so on. I kind of prefer rogue because the Safehouse forum was awesome back in the day, but didn't get mine over 25 before heading off to DAOC. Open to ideas. Or can pretty much any 85 handle it?

I'm a bit biased, but I would choose a Monk for the instant feign death and quick melee DPS. Monks have instant feign death (you probably remember monks pulling from the old days), which allows you to zip around any dungeon and just FD flop stuff off you, and the mobs you do run into, you can tear to shreds with their fast melee attack. They also have fast runspeed AAs (or maybe everyone gets that these days, or can't remember), blink (like Mages in WoW), and other fun stuff. When I returned in 2009, I chose a Monk, and have been loving it ever since, it's so good for exploring and grinding old stuff.

Some other good alternative are:

* Bard - they also have a form of instant feign death (Fading Memories AA), super run speed, invisibility, charm, tracking, pick lock, and more tricks
* Ranger - superior tracking makes it fun hunting old rares (like popping into an old dungeon and seeing which rares are up), fast run speed, spells, invisibility, fade AA at high levels
* Shadow Knight - good FD, invis, spells, okay dps, very strong tank

Frankly I'm leaning strongly towards the Bard if I were in your place; the runspeed, tracking, invisibility, charm and AA fade spell will make it a breeze. Downside is very weak melee dps, it might be a chore for when you "have" to fight. Also consider you might get a little hooked and want to level up and visit stronger content. Shadow Knight would be an excellent partner with a Shaman box if you want to go that way, but you could use any of the classes I mentioned if you add mercenaries for tanking and healing. I've rolled Monk+Shaman with tank+healer merc for many years.

I wouldn't choose Rogue, since as soon as SoS/sneak/hide breaks, and you've used Escape, you're kinda boned and have to fight. Also no spells or tracking. I played Rogue for 2 years back in Classic/Kunark/Velious and would to this day prefer Monk for the feign death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

onesixtwo posted:

Paging master Zliz.. are we ever going to see an updated UI? I miss it a heck of a lot.

Hello :) Sorry I missed your post, I don't check SA so often now. I typically receive an email from a friendly fellow when my UI breaks due to a patch, and I updated it back in late december 2019:

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

For those not in the know, it's a custom UI I maintain, in a minimalistic style. It had a mix of various UI elements I like from other UIs, such as the Sparxx inventory window, and other pieces.

If it breaks, the best contact point would be to send me a private message here on SA, then I'll get notified about it by email.

I've been unfaithful to EQ the past two winters (where I usually play); last year it was Skyrim, this winter it's Classic WoW which I'm enjoying the poo poo out of. But I haven't forgotten EQ. :)