Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Is MQNext / RedGuides stuff actually allowed to run on TrueBox servers? I thought they specifically coded it so that it won't actually run when playing on TLPs? Or was that only the old MQ2/MMOBugs software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Hmmm, their instruction video says it doesn't work on truebox servers lol.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

dakuroot posted:

oh god the last TLP I played was Mischief and I played till half-way through Velious. I had an ENC named Endosmoke and it was a lot of fun. Someone got me an invite into a great guild and we had a blast (I even got my epic during kunark lul.) I think i'm gonna do a Wiz this time around so I can make some plat TP'ing until Luclin comes out.

Join us in the discord, should be a link on the last page! There's a few of us in the guild Nightfalls Guard as well, we plan to start raiding on the 7th.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Baconroll posted:

I think all the TLPs have been stripped of buyable Krono now - I expect everything of value in the bazaar has either been bought up or delisted.

Will be interesting to see how much longer it takes daybreak to react !

Servers are down for a hotfix, we'll see if there is a roll back but there likely will be IMO. I bet it will be at least a roll back to Sunday if not further. Folks were handing out plat by the millions in the bazaar and nexus on oakwynd, everything of value was bought up yesterday afternoon/evening. I didn't even do anything but noticed I had tens of thousands of trade skill mats in my depot from the stuff I was working on last week.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Servers are back, no rollback.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MrTheDevious posted:

Even on live, all you have to do is run a VPN inside virtual machines and you can run however many you want. There's not much anyone can do to stop it

Supposedly, GMs have an in-game command that can read a target's client and report back if it's running on a VM, according to some folks at RedGuides. The exact mechanism for this is unknown, also not sure if it's actually true. I think some EU privacy laws forbid this stuff these days? I think they just don't care about when you do it on live compared to a TLP, but is detectable.

I've been curious about running Ubuntu and KVM + some Ubuntu VMs running WINE and EQ, then attempting to obfuscate the hypervisor from the VM so I can run multiple boxes on a TLP without additional hardware, but everything I read about it says it's very detectable. I assume most of those people that got caught were just running hyper-v or vmware player or something really basic, but a linux VM, hidden from the hypervisor, running WINE, might have a chance to bypass their checks?

I started playing with MQ about 6 weeks ago and it's really given me a new interest in the game, unfortunately that means I did try my hand at the red wine quest scripting and was caught in the ban wave! But I got about 17 characters to level 40-45 with it. Been using mostly KissAssist for controlling my boxes but have also been writing little LUA events using Lua Expression Manager to do things like always keep Celestial Fists up on the monks while they are in combat, always keeping my Ranger self buffs up, always clicking my Dark Cloak of the Sky haste clicky if I'm in combat and have no other spell-based haste buff, etc.

Lots of cool MQ stuff isn't written for TLPs, like the Scriber LUA. I've been modifying it and adding all of the classic EQ zone spell vendors to it and learning a lot about LUA in the process. It's super fun but I wish I could find more people to chat with this stuff about, any talk about MQ use on TLPs is forbidden on RedGuides and their discord.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MrTheDevious posted:

The Redguides people are brilliant, but they have a very specific viewpoint, which is "Most people using this software are idiots and we don't want to be blamed for them doing stupid things", so their advice is always EXTREMELY conservative. There is not actually any rules against using VMs on Live, which is why you don't see anyone talking about it. They're part of the Truebox rules that TLPs get only.

There is a post on the RG forums for getting EQ to run on Linux that still works fine. You want a main Linux install that you install KVM onto, then make a VM through KVM that sets up a VPN and EQ-on-Linux inside of it. Duplicate that VM once for each box you want to run. Done. Hyper-V is technically also a Type1 Hypervisor, but it uses driver stubs that are VERY easy to detect (they're literally named something like VirtualMouse, VirtualDisplay, etc). Never use a Type 2 (VirtualBox, VMWare). I had a whole group running in KVM automated grinding clear to 50 on Mischief launch and farming for months after, perfectly safe no suspensions. You can do this on a random laptop or whatever just fine

As for communities, there are a number of them that aren't RG who allow discussion of this stuff, but they're extremely insular and tend not to invite people who aren't actively playing with them, where you have the mutually-assured-destruction guarantee if one tries to screw you. I originally met them purely because one was in my old guild from years ago and recognized my name when I was getting beaten with jumper cables for asking about TLP in the Redguides discord. Instead of one big community, it's more like 20 different small groups of people where everybody has friends in the other groups, so there's a lot of "Yall go ask your people if anybody knows how to do <X>".

It's pretty neat in its own way though! We have people pretty regularly now either coming to show us how to do something or learn how we do something and have made a lot of friends.

Awesome, thanks for all that! I did just see someone posted a brand new guide to installing EQ and MQ on Ubuntu 22.04 on the RG forums last week, I haven't messed with WINE in ages but it will be a fun little project for sure. I had kind of figured they were mostly checking for the common virtual drivers in use by Hyper-V and various flavors of VMWare so I think I'm going to play around with KVM and maybe QEMU/Proxmox a bit, have an old Proxmox box sitting around doing nothing as well.

I have met a couple of others running MQ in my current guild, it seems more and more people are being open about it and willing to discuss it but there's still a lot of folks who are extremely negative towards any sort of software use at all so it's a fine line to walk trying to find others!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I'll be there as well, Oakwynd has been pretty great despite the dupe and subsequent red wine bans. I really like the per-character raid lockouts as it lets me run in multiple guilds, essentially doubly gearing one toon with raid loot. I'm hoping to be fully decked out in Plane of Time gear in the next month or two.

Oakwynd FTE / per-character lockouts / progression unlocks (+xp bonus, +faction, etc. with new xpac releases) along with Mischief style loot would be my ideal TLP. Also if they would go back and do raid currency for all xpacs that would be incredible, but I'm really not holding out much hope. The roadmap lists two TLPs so I'm hoping at least one is a Mischief 2.0 style TLP.

I'm really considering running 3x 6 box crews for 18-manning older content or getting together with other boxers/MQ raid boxers to do current content with extremely low human numbers, but at the very least I'm maining a Warrior this time around to have a raid geared tank for my box crew.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

PyRosflam posted:

My point is mages porting directly to efreeti and other key mobs and sitting on him 24/7 blocking anyone from going and doing it on their own.

I'd really rather just kill the mob myself but at this point your fighting obviously cheating bots and forced to buy items.

Note this is not the same as dealing with actual players.

Yeah this was real bad on Oakwynd. There was a pair of mages sitting in frenzy camp in lguk in every single pick 24/7, as well as the efreeti camp in SolB. They basically corner the market for those two drops and the going rate for GEBS and FBSS is 1 kr+ until at least Kunark. Due to the FTE bug with mage pets being able to engage mobs before FTE actually dropped early on Oakwynd, you basically could do absolutely nothing against them. They also dominated the high value kunark drops like circlet of shadows, Elfpie's crew had a dozen of mages sitting in there 24/7.

I'm 100% for the use of MQ and other apps to enhance gameplay in this 25 year old game with an average user age pushing 45, but I don't condone the above behavior at all. Unfortunately that's just the way it is and will be, the MQ platform allows for nefarious activity involving RMT and grants the ability to corner markets like this.

Speaking of MQ, they did a ban wave last week hitting folks on live servers I guess, there's a thread on Redguides about it. They've been handing out actual full bans and not just suspensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

onesixtwo posted:

There won’t be a ‘goon guild’ but several guilds will have goons in them, just find a name you like in your chosen timezone. There is a discord we hang out in though, shouldn’t be too many pages back in the thread.

https://discord.gg/ubHejVjh

It's pretty dead but gets popular again around new TLP release.

I followed onesixtwo to my current guild on Oakwynd when it started, they've been good peeps. But yeah there's usually not enough interest for a goon guild, but we do often pick one and join together.